Librarian vs Chaplain dilemma

Skywrath

Hello. 

So in my recent Deathwing list, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Assuming a purely competitive meta perspective, I have a hard limit of 4 characters (for assassinate secondary reasons). One of which is Azrael/Belial, the second is Deathwing Apothecary, and the third a Deathwing Champion (for reasons I will explain later). That leaves the fourth slot open for either of those two.

Currently the meta is DG, Drukhari, and now AdMech. All three of those factions can spam MW, so naturally that would necessitate taking the Chaplain for his 5+ FNP aura and then perhaps a litany that gives +2 to charges. However, the flipside of the argument is, that DG with Mortarion (with the 3 watchers I have in this list), could provide enough of an annoyance that the librarian takes the cake. Those reasons would be fighting first, +1 to toughness, miasma, shamblerot, lungrot, curse of the leper, smite, etc. If I were to take Ezekiel (or a regular librarian) I would have cast 2/deny 2, on top of an inbuilt +1 attack aura (which is a bit moot, due to the quality of the attacks going through). Then there are shenanigans with losing ObSec auras, fighting first, and then full re-rolls to the terminators (again a bit of a moot point since I'm running Belial/Azrael). So with the reasoning outlined, which option would you take, and what variety of Chaplain/Librarian? In essence, is the 5+ FNP aura better overall (for the multiple faction MW protection), compared to the librarian deny with the 3 watchers (for DG specifically (maybe GK and TS))?

The second part of this problem, is whether the above could be achieved through the use of relics/WL traits, that I would essentially have the best of both worlds. I am aware the DWC with the Chapter-Champion has the WL trait that re-rolls charges, which could swing me towards the librarian (on top of being very good with poxwalker blobs). Other than that, I'm completely out of the loop with what the DA/SM in general can offer in that regard. Is there any combos you can think of, that could achieve the aforementioned?

Thanks in advance. 

So why are you taking the DWC?  You never did explain that.  I think the chappy and the libby are both vastly superior to the champ. 

I field Azzy, Zeke, ambulance, and TDAIC with master of sanctity.  Azzy gives 4++ and rerolls to my tactical DW squad, Zeke supports my skirmishers in the midfield, ambulance heals and rezzes termies and plasmaceptors, and the chappy adds inches to the DWKs' charge.

I described the intended use of the Deathwing Champion in the last paragraph. To further compound on that point, with the blobs of Drukhari raiders and poxwalkers being in batches more than 10, that makes him the ideal candidate for dealing with them in melee due to his 8 odd attacks. Of course, the argument can be made that such things are better left in the shooting phase, however due to sentimental reasons, I prefer his inclusion as well on top of this. And as mentioned, he's ability to re-roll charges (due to my regular abysmal luck) is also very much welcome.

Based on your last response, I assume you would prefer the inclusion of the Chaplain over the Librarian? 

It really depends on your list.  If your luck with charge rolls is that bad, you need both the champ and the chappy for rerollable 7" charges?  To me, that would be too much spent on buffing one charge roll, though, and I think a 7" charge is better than a rerollable 9" charge.

The Reliquary of Gathalmar is really good at helping to stop Psychic power. Your model has to be a Primaris Character. Within 18” it subtracts 1 from the cast, and if they fail to cast the psychic power on a 4+ that model suffers d3 mortal wounds. I like placing that on a Primaris Chief Librarian.

The Reliquary of Gathalmar is really good at helping to stop Psychic power. Your model has to be a Primaris Character. Within 18” it subtracts 1 from the cast, and if they fail to cast the psychic power on a 4+ that model suffers d3 mortal wounds. I like placing that on a Primaris Chief Librarian.

Interesting suggestion! I'll look into that option.