Ultramarine Heavy Intercessors

Prot

This is frustrating me so far but call me crazy but perhaps I would get more mileage out of a 5 man unit of the assault variant with my White Scars. 

I was digging through tournament lists trying to find anyone using these with any success in case I could find a decent use case scenario that I’m missing but perhaps it’s white scars. That army pushes deeper into enemy territory than my Ultras and I often loathe keeping assault Intercessors twiddling their thumbs on objectives. With white scars these guys might do great sitting midfield just adding fire support while being able to advance and fire without issue to react to objective threats. 

I may need to rethink using these with Ultramarines. One thing is that 2+ saves are a very real issue for me as we use a lot of terrian and my main group has adopted GWs supported GT terrain setup. This means a a good chunk of +1 saves in the board. 

I am thinking of how many sob, death guard, and marine players I face regularly and I think this is part of my skewed take on the lack of ap.