Theory-crafting: What do you want for a WE codex?

Lord_Ikka

Do we know for sure that we are getting a codex for World Eaters? I really love Khorne Berserkers, so any army of them or built around them seems like a lot of fun

Do we think we'll see a new or updated model for Khârn?

Well, we don't really know for sure, we never will until GW go ahead and say/show it. But for the moment, the rumour list that promised it has been very accurate. Not to mention that Jes Goodwin pretty much spilled the beans in the Voxcast about Shadowspear, implying that they were already working on models back then.

As for Khârn getting yet another update, that's very unlikely imho. Too new, plastic, won't show his age for a long time. They don't really have a reason for it.

Edited by DeadFingers

• 3 weeks later...

Information in this month's WD supports my "World Eaters will be wearing Mark V" assertion, for those who want to read up on their armour lore.

Also, there's this gorgeous art in the new Octarius book:

FD2iC3U.png

World Eater involvement in the Octarius war is nothing new, but it definitely reads like a hint at what is to come.

Could just be new art, but seems like maybe a fairly decent chance we’re getting a peek of the design aesthetic to come. What about that pic says Mk V to you? Looks like super chaos-warped power armor, so I’m curious.

I just read what you wrote again and now I understand. ;)

Edited by Juggernut

Ooooh, very nice.

While new art definitely raises an eyebrow, I would hesitate to call it a very accurate representation of how the models might look like. The art for this edition, while gorgeous, at least if you ask me, doesn't quite line up with the models. For example, this piece from the Death Guard Codex.

qnv2jvxt27361.png

The "essence" of the models is there, but the parts like those "spheres", the weapon on the foreground, the face on the Hauler, and the many pipes are all an artistic liberty. And of course, the details are very exaggerated, but that's just part of it being art and not models.

So for all we know, that World Eaters piece might just be the artist's interpretation of the current Berzerker models.:biggrin.:

I would hesitate to call it a very accurate representation of how the models might look like.

Didn't say that it did - that's obvious. Merely pointing out that a two page art spread in a book that is almost entirely filled with old art and where World Eaters aren't even a major player is quite unusual, and can easily be seen as another not-so-subtle hint towards their potential arrival.

Didn't say that it did - that's obvious. Merely pointing out that a two page art spread in a book that is almost entirely filled with old art and where World Eaters aren't even a major player is quite unusual, and can easily be seen as another not-so-subtle hint towards their potential arrival.

Oh, I wasn't implying that you said it, I was just preemptively stating that the art isn't accurate to the models this edition, before we get too carried away wtith speculation (which I may or may not be guilty of from time to time) and/or the argument that GW's art always represents models pops up. :sweat:

Ah, fair - sorry for leaping to the wrong conclusion.

To make this post more useful, here's the World Eaters-relevant excerpt regarding Mark V:

Likely due to the relentless pace of operations, one Legion in particular made especially heavy use of Mark V towards the end of the war: the World Eaters. Of all the Traitor Legions, the sons of Angron were committed time and time again to the most high intensity assaults, and so the Legion's Techmarines and attached Mechanicum adepts were ever forced to make do with the armour components at hand, especially once the World Eaters ranks began to be rapidly replenished with those referred to by some sources as Inductii. Indeed, so prevalent was the use of Mark V amongst such warriors that the Legion's red-clad berzerkers, dedicated wholly to the so-called 'Blood God', would use it almost exclusively in the wars of the Scouring and beyond.

There's a similar blurb for DG and Mark III, TS Rubricae and Mark IV, and most pleasingly of all, EC and Mark VI.

Ah, fair - sorry for leaping to the wrong conclusion.

To make this post more useful, here's the World Eaters-relevant excerpt regarding Mark V:

Likely due to the relentless pace of operations, one Legion in particular made especially heavy use of Mark V towards the end of the war: the World Eaters. Of all the Traitor Legions, the sons of Angron were committed time and time again to the most high intensity assaults, and so the Legion's Techmarines and attached Mechanicum adepts were ever forced to make do with the armour components at hand, especially once the World Eaters ranks began to be rapidly replenished with those referred to by some sources as Inductii. Indeed, so prevalent was the use of Mark V amongst such warriors that the Legion's red-clad berzerkers, dedicated wholly to the so-called 'Blood God', would use it almost exclusively in the wars of the Scouring and beyond.

There's a similar blurb for DG and Mark III, TS Rubricae and Mark IV, and most pleasingly of all, EC and Mark VI.

Has there been any fluff on the "Inductii"? Sounds interesting, as they seem to be the replacements for the massive losses that occur with a typical WE campaign.

In 40k, not sure, but I don’t think so. In 30k, there is a bit. Couldn’t tell you which books, though. Another frater better versed in that lore could likely tell you exactly.

This article has some goodness: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Gahlan_Surlak

Edited by Juggernut

Has there been any fluff on the "Inductii"? Sounds interesting, as they seem to be the replacements for the massive losses that occur with a typical WE campaign.

There's not a lot of lore on them, but FW's HH Book 6: Retribution is what you want:

Such was the state of the XII Legion fief world [bodt] at the dawn of the great heresy, but it was a state soon to alter once more. In the aftermath of the Isstvan V slaughter, an event that Bodt's masters only learned of after the fact, a delegation of senior World Eaters apothecaries, aided and advised by peers from the Emperor's Children and Word Bearers Legions, arrived there unannounced. They quickly assumed command of the induction facilities and instigated a series of revisions to the Legion's recruitment practices. It was long established that the XII Legion's implantation protocols sat at the extreme end of the spectrum of tolerance and there had been many calls from Terra and from other Legions to rein in these practices, but in the aftermath of the Dropsite Massacre and with the arrival of the new overlord cadre, all restraints were removed. It was said that the raw fuel for the new processes had been harvested from the blood-soaked killing fields of the Urgall Depression, ritually gathered up by the sons of Lorgar and alchemically rendered down by the fell genius of the Emperor's Children. It was to the World Eaters apothecaries that the final duty of implantation would fall, and the result was hideous indeed.

They feature a little in the story, but there's not a lot of information there beyond the obvious (accelerated recruitment which produces frothing madmen barely fit for the title of "Space Marine").

From what I remember the Inductii are the "improved" (read as hyper aggressive and dulled pain receptors) tactical marines that were created by the apothecaries under orders of high command.

So pretty much new tactical marines that got a few extra implants as aspirants.

• 2 weeks later...
Should be part of the unit’s base rules, for the points cost, IMO. Way too pricy, needs something beyond just being somewhat tough. Assault ramp would be quite nice. However, looking at the black Templars land raider strat as precedent, unlikely to happen outside of a strat. Edited by Juggernut