Necron Assault Validity

Prot

I didn't clock that the AB had increased to Heavy 10 (how many editions behind am I?). It certainly will do a number on certain meta units like DE vehicles but the lack of AP means it will struggle against marines.

Edited by Karhedron

Interesting win there Prot. Looks like you kept the pressure up on him. Cool you took out Morvenn Valh as she is really powerful if given the chance to swing.

Those Skorpekh Destroyers are really powerful on the offense so it's good to see. What Dynasty did you use in the end?

You mentioned the Annihilation Barge is cheaper... I didn't think it did get a points drop? It's definitely a reasonable bit of kit in my view. Has a lot of shots and against new Orks and Drukhari it'll be useful.

Sorry about the Annihilation barge... I have a brain fart on what the Doomsday Ark is called because I call it something else (that I can't repeat here.) 

I used my own "Protarian" Dynasty which is of course movement + Obsec. I actually have used other Dynasties on my heavier troop list because lots of stuff seems to work. However, this is one case I had very little obsec, and a list that absolutely needed forward pressure.

Those 6 Skorpekhs were a lot of fun to play. The Skorpekh Lord, not so much. 

Morvenn Valh! That's her name. He showed me the model and explainer her, and I just said, 'yea yea, more Bio Mass!' (Not really understanding the true depth of my ignorance of what she's capable of.

What I clobbered her with was a  counter assault. I set up my 20 warrior blob to take a charge, but the Retributors killed 17 (I think it was 17) Warriors, I pulled so many she couldn't attack when it was her turn. I used the Orb, got back about 10. Next turn I counter charge with Skorps, and Skorp lord. 

So actually Morvenn never got to swing so I don't know how good she is. 

Earlier I meant to say the Doomsday Ark might be a better look at a 20 pt reduction and offers good anti infantry which this list definitely lacks!

Yea I think they are more solid now but swingy like you say. The Doomstalkers are similarly swingy, but still cheaper, and now I've grown to really like this list so I'm a bit reluctant for now to rip it apart, but maybe in the future I'll swap over to 2 Doomsday Arks. :)

When taking 2, the points saved with Doomstalkers is hard to turn down.

I think that careful use of counter attack, alongside well time Resurrection Orb, is incredibly potent and well timed. You did great there and it's something for us to bear in mind as an example of a way to cope with these models.

Yea I can definitely see the advantage of anti-infantry with the DDA's. I do like the small foot print of the Doomstalkers though.

I had another game tonight and I still am leaning towards keeping them just get as many bodies on the table as humanly possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few very successful attempts with the Assault army.

However I had a really tough one:

gallery_2760_17009_1120903.jpg

Necron assault army vs. Death Guard was a tough one! I ended up losing the game by 2 points!!!

The difference was the FoulBlightSpawn flamer just chewed apart my Destroyer attack. My destroyers held firm but to be honest the biggest decider in this game was his access to 1. Mortal Wounds, and 2. Blightlord/Reaper terminators.

I just bounce off of them no matter what. Once I lost the C'tan it was just a matter of time before I lost my Destroyer Lord. The C'tan cut through a few of those body guard terminators by ignoring the invlun, but literally this showed the short coming of the army... it has no teeth against incredible 4++ saves, and reducing damage.

I tried to play for points as I could not touch his Plague Burst crawlers either. The best access to points I had was the Poxwalkers so I milked those for every point I could!

I'm also considering building my necrons for assault, also with the "eternal expansionist" traits.

To me, it looks like sword and board Lychguard might be the way to go. I'm considering 2x10 with Anrakyr nearby. The idea would be to have some choppy boys with obsec and decent staying power, which I think they'd have. 

I'd probably also have a couple of big scarab blobs and not all that many warriors. Maybe 20 reaper guys to VoD across the board and otherwise mostly small immortal squads.

I think the list wants some sort of heavy hitter: probably a C'tan but maybe the Silent King. Conceivably both, I guess. That reroll to wound aura for the Lychguard could be pretty amazing, if he could keep up with them.

Funny you mention that... I just had 2 games with the sword and board Lychguard I just painted. They aren't bad. But I can see why they are core and fairly common. But they are no Bladeguard! 

They do hang around a while but are susceptible to getting wiped from today's damage spike games, and they really don't hit that hard. But that said, they can be a great sandbag unit at mid table.