Ultramarines Companies rules

Captain Idaho

Akin to the Death Guard Supplement, what rules could we work on here that we'd like to see in an Ultramarines supplement?

I know that it's not always going to get anywhere, but I'm tempted to write a fan based supplement and send it in like the old days. I did this ages ago and actually we have some rules in place that were the same as my own so I'm not a complete fool. Plus they wrote back to me kindly as well.

Examples - an old narrative missions pack tailored to faction from way back when and the Codex Space Marines changes in 8th edition.

The latter was community driven and although I compiled and refereed it, many of the ideas were inspired and credited to folk here.

So, in that vein I'm doing some research.

Ultramarines fans, what would you like to see in a rules manner for each Company? Do you want something to follow Codex Death Guard in style and implementation, or something new perhaps attached to the Captain of the Company? Where do the characters fit in, such as Sicarius, who is no longer leading a Company but Champion to Guilliman?

(Actually not sure the current status of Sicarius)

I'm going to put up my own thoughts soon enough (work and life right now) but I really want to see what the community thinks before I influence things with my own ideas.

So let me know guys :)

1st Company - I think should have something based around strike force Ultra where buff are given to terminators, land raiders, repulsors and Veteran intercessors. Not sure what it could be but would be really fluffy.

2nd company- I think should have some rules to forwards deploy, akin to the raven guard. A quote from wiki "The warriors of the 2nd Company storm into the fray with the speed of a lightning strike; they formulate battle plans so risky and demanding that few other warriors would even countenance putting them into practice."

So I'm thinking of following the Death Guard example, since that's where GW has gone with it and consistency is godliness.

I'll start with laying out my stall - I think there should be 12 sets of rules! 1 for each Company, 1 for Sicarius' command of the Victrix Guard who accompany Guilliman and 1 which I need advice on since I'm behind on current affairs in the novels.

Do the Ultramarines still have that 11th Company of Primaris Indomitus Marines? Weren't they operating under Captain Felix?

As much as I would love to see it I'm sure we wouldn't get such rules as much as it pain my soul. But here's an idea for victrix

Victrix Guard.

Strategem: Strike first, for Ultramar. 2-3cp

Unchanged. 2 cp if the warlord is drawn from victrix guard company

Warlord trait: Paragons of war.

Ultramarines infantry units from the detachment the warlord belongs to with this trait, that are within 6" of this unit may reroll wound roll.

Relic: Standard of the Victrix Guard.

The standard of the victrix guard has seldomly seen during the closing off plague war and rest within the Mcragge Honour. The standard is used for ceremony in the lead of the arrival of the Lord Commander Guilliman.

The bearer of this has the following abilities.

Oath of the Protectorate: Ultramarines Units from the detachment the bearer belongs to, that are within 6" of the bearer may be set to defend.

Oath of the Victorious:

Ultramarines Units from the detachment the bearer belongs to, that are within 6" of the bearer may reroll thier charge rolls.

Edited by jonjacob

5th Company:

Warlord Trait: Warden of the Eastern Marches. Captain only. Something that allows them to add up to 3 (core?) Imperium units, this will not break battleforged. This to show their close work with many elements of the Imperium.  Units gained in this way will benefit from the Warlord's auras.

Stratagem: Gladius Strike. Units coming in from deep strike or strategic reserves gain some type of bonus, could be +1 to wound, +2" on charges, something to represent the the deadly nature of this maneuver.

All I got right now.

5th Company:

Warlord Trait: Warden of the Eastern Marches. Captain only. Something that allows them to add up to 3 (core?) Imperium units, this will not break battleforged. This to show their close work with many elements of the Imperium.  Units gained in this way will benefit from the Warlord's auras.

Stratagem: Gladius Strike. Units coming in from deep strike or strategic reserves gain some type of bonus, could be +1 to wound, +2" on charges, something to represent the the deadly nature of this maneuver.

All I got right now.

ooh PDF scions would be awesome with benefits from captain and lietuenant

6th Company could have rules to make an Outrider detachment with 3 or more bike squads cost 0 CP, 7th Company could be the same but for Land Speeder Squads (maxed squads). 

8th Could do the same for Assault Squads, 10th for Scouts. 

I don't know about making a Heavy Weapon squad detachment cost 0 CP, though, Which is why I didn't mention the 9th. 

6th Company could have rules to make an Outrider detachment with 3 or more bike squads cost 0 CP, 7th Company could be the same but for Land Speeder Squads (maxed squads). 

8th Could do the same for Assault Squads, 10th for Scouts. 

I don't know about making a Heavy Weapon squad detachment cost 0 CP, though, Which is why I didn't mention the 9th.

Maybe make them obsec as well.

• 1 month later...

I'm not keen on having company rules at all, because it divides the Chapter even more. Imagine the horror of only having access to Sicarius if you're running the 2nd company? What happens at this point? I need to paint all my models to a certain company?

In the case of DG, those are basically entire Chapters of Death Guard.

I wouldn't mind seeing some stratagems that might cater to this, thematically, but again - this is a bad thing. We don't want more strats that only affect certain units in certain ways. The more general the better.

BUT - I would love to see this explored in the Crusade supplement rules. Hopefully our supplement isn't too far away!

Edited by Ishagu

I wouldn't want to make too many characters exclusive of course, but that's what the keyword system alleviates. It's easy enough to write a rule saying "all models in the army are considered to have the XX Company Keyword if your army Warlord is the Captain of that Company