Preparing for our 9:ed codex

Ulfast

So I´m wondering how you are preparing for the new codex?

Myself I´m going to get some cultist as new helbrutes as I think both units will be good to have in 9:ed. I´m also looking to expand with some more rubrics (so far 40 with 10 terminators). I know that a good advice is to wait unitl codex comes but those units above will propably be ok and good to have.

It's all going to be somewhat of a gamble. I am re-booting my army with a better paint scheme so I am essentially starting over. Can't go wrong with a core of rubrics. I'll have:

2 squads of 10 rubrics with interchangeable weapons

a squad of 10 scarab occult with interchangable weapons

Squad of 20 tzaangors. We can take a good geuss that we will have the same restriction as death guard. 1 goat per rubric. 

Ahriman.

An exalted on foot and an exalted on a disc. 
Magnus(will probably end up in a spot like morty where he can be an absolute wrecking ball but not necessary for every list)
couple rhinos
spawn
mutalith
some daemon engines, forgefiend, defiler, and I have a gutt feeling the heldrake will be a lot more viable. the improved BS 3+ is fantastic. 

Edited by Ahzek451

I am holding off on a fourth box of Rubrics. It's less to see what happens as I'm sure I'll probably need them even with a 10 model cap and more to see what the new GK vs Sons box set gives us. Otherwise as newish army the warp is my oyster, I'd like to get a second box of SOT but I need to finish the first :laugh.: Otherwise Dreads of some kind would be nice but as I want to keep closely to the Marine theme my options aren't that many.

Outside of Magnus of course, but he will be the final piece to my Sons force so is a while off yet. It remains to be seen if my "army creep" changes this though :tongue.: I agree that a core of Rubrics and Terminators is something you surely can't go wrong with, hence my Rubric aspirations :smile.:

Actually build the army that has been sitting in my cupboard since plastic Sons came out.

Should be something along the lines of (I haven’t cheeked in a few years):

Arhiman 30k + Arhiman 40k

3 Exalted Sorcerer

Deamon Prince

30 Rubric

10 Terminators

30 Tzzangor

Castellax-achea as a count as hellbrute.

Standing pat for now. Have 1-2 boxes of rubrics and 1 SOT box I bought when the Psychic Awakening stuff happened. Remember when we thought that might really allow some major psychic shenanigans? 

Edited by The Blood Raven

I'm playing the long game. When they gave the codex roadmap for 9th last year, I sold that 6000pt painted Thousand Sons army. Using the funds from that, I paid for like a year of World of Warcraft, a Battlefoam PACK Magna-rack tray case, the Aliens boardgame and all the expansions, a Dark Angels Ravenwing/Deathwing army, and of course another Thousand Sons army (the core units at least). 

So, in the meantime, I'm painting gems and preparing 30 rubrics, 10 scarabs and a helbrute with lascannon/missile. I am pushing every Rubric Marine and Scarab to the level I push my sorcerer HQs so I hope to be ready with the core of the army by the time the codex drops.

Dark Eldar, Necrons and Sisters dominate my local store and I have zero interest in attending events with Thousand Sons so I am content to paint heavily until our fated day arrives. 

I believe that it is unwise to make any support element purchases (daemons, daemon engines) until I see a Warhammer Community article or leaks, whichever comes first.

Here's what I have worked on to iron out my new scheme with less 'Ard Coat and a darker mood:

sddddddd

At the end of the day I think helbrutes are a safe bet and they fill multiple gaps especially when armed with a shooty/melee dual loadout. Even the heavy bolter helbrute causes a big problem for things like Infiltrators, which can annoy a Thousand Sons army very badly.
Edited by Archaeinox

I haven't played a game with my TS since the beginning of 9th. I was using contemptors to give me the Anti Tank options we need and then it started costing CP to bring them. With lock downs as well chances to play have slipped by.

I will be holding out until the Codex drops, but I need to finish my 3rd Rubric squad, Magnus and base the army before I start anything new.

Most importantly I am excited that our book is dropping soon!

I'm playing the long game. When they gave the codex roadmap for 9th last year, I sold that 6000pt painted Thousand Sons army. Using the funds from that, I paid for like a year of World of Warcraft, a Battlefoam PACK Magna-rack tray case, the Aliens boardgame and all the expansions, a Dark Angels Ravenwing/Deathwing army, and of course another Thousand Sons army (the core units at least).

So, in the meantime, I'm painting gems and preparing 30 rubrics, 10 scarabs and a helbrute with lascannon/missile. I am pushing every Rubric Marine and Scarab to the level I push my sorcerer HQs so I hope to be ready with the core of the army by the time the codex drops.

Dark Eldar, Necrons and Sisters dominate my local store and I have zero interest in attending events with Thousand Sons so I am content to paint heavily until our fated day arrives.

I believe that it is unwise to make any support element purchases (daemons, daemon engines) until I see a Warhammer Community article or leaks, whichever comes first.

Here's what I have worked on to iron out my new scheme with less 'Ard Coat and a darker mood:

At the end of the day I think helbrutes are a safe bet and they fill multiple gaps especially when armed with a shooty/melee dual loadout. Even the heavy bolter helbrute causes a big problem for things like Infiltrators, which can annoy a Thousand Sons army very badly.

Beautiful Exhalted! You have instagram?

To answer initial thread, I have now 2,200 points painted, but lack of troops, so consolidating more rubrics and tzaangors. Maybe one more Sorcerer too. Then it will all depends on codex

Been working on other armies, but I'm going to get round to adding some units I've wanted to for a while. I don't tend to pander to meta or anything, and just add models to complete the collection. What I want for the TS are:

Dreadnought conversion with MM.

Unit of 5-9 Rubrics with flamers in Rhino

10 more goats

5 more Scarabs to make a unit of 10. 

I haven't played a game in 9th yet, so I have no idea of meta or anything.

I am going to wait to see what is in the TSons vs Grey Knights box before I buy anything.

I know the only new model will be the new Sorceror, but there most likely will be 10 rubrics and 10 tzaangors too. If it has 5 Scarabs then it's a definite purchase as I want to buy that anyway.

If it's a box to showcase the new Sorceror, and assuming it's a Daemon-buffing sorceror, I'm hoping the box will also have some screamers, horrors and/or flamers.

Edited by byrd9999

You have instagram?

Yes I will message you, prob distasteful to plug it here 

I'm hoping the box will also have some screamers, horrors and/or flamers.

I hope so too but they just tried to get rid of some screamers and horrors with the recent boxes in the past year or so I think so it might be a low chance. Fingers crossed for some daemon synergy because i dont want to spend CP to take a daemon det anymore once we get our book.

Edited by Archaeinox

Very well my instagram is Plastic_Path if you guys are looking for any inspiration towards the new edition. I am doing mostly WIP shots of Rubricae lately but just uploaded a custom dreadnought wip

I am super stoked for our book but I just have to have some restraint for budget reasons. If I can sell part of my Deathwing army I will be on the way towards reinforcing TSons with whatever we need once book drops!!!

Edited by Archaeinox

Thanks for sharing, Archae! (for some reason I always thought your name was Archie...)

Anyway, beautiful paintjob on the models. I love the blue/yellow banding with the light highlights on the headcrests. My first ever GW model that I painted was a Rubric marine, and i spent an hour on the headcrest, going back and forth over the blue and yellow because i couldn't keep within the lines :laugh.:

Would you mind sharing your protocol for the blue flames on the back of the Exalted? That glow effect looks really cool and I'd like to steal that borrow that technique.

thanks man i got you. As best as I can describe:

1. Basecoat entire flame area with Ulthuan Grey. It's very important that you use this instead of white because for some reason i feel like the off-white basecoat makes the finished product seem more ethereal. 

2. use contrast medium to thin Tallassar Blue contrast pretty good (like 4-1, you just want a slight glaze) and cover the entire Ulthuan Grey area.

3. use contrast medium to thin Tallassar Blue contrast fairly (like 2-1) and run it down from the tips/high parts of the flame towards the bottom but NOT all the way. Leave room for pure contrast near the tips.

4. use pure Tallassar Blue near the upper parts of the flames. You might have to pick out some other areas, but be sure the lighter ulthuan grey is always showing in the deeper parts. This is the opposite of using shades.

5. Finally, pick in tiny bits of abbaddon black on the very tip of flame parts slightly, and pure White Scar white in any recesses you can hit near the bottom because the glow is coming 'from within' 

Thankfully if you mess up when the previous steps are fully dried, you can just wash the area with a brush and 'restart' a step if you goof

Edited by Archaeinox

Thanks! I'll give it a go the next time I paint something blue :smile.:

I agree about Ulthuan Grey. It's a staple of my paints.

I also like the new Wraithbone. I use it the same as Ulthuan Grey, but for warm tones. I use Ulthuan for colder tones.

Edited by byrd9999

In case anyone doesn't know; the Corax White base paint is all but Ulthuan Grey. Or "Corax Grey" as I like to call it :tongue.:

I have 2 GW whites (Corax White and White Scar) and both have quite a chalky consistency and finish. I tend to use them sparingly. Ulthuan Grey and Wraithbone are a little smoother. in my hands, anyway :)  

Great job Arch.

Personally I am painting my 3rd Thousand Sons army. So it's been super slow. I've shown the work I did on my latest Ahriman so you've all seen him. But the Scarab Occult (10 models). 

After I finished those models I confess that wiped me out. It became a bit of a struggle to finish my new Rubrics. I think I have 10 completely redone, but I have another 10 to do and it's slow going.

Through out all of this I have slowly been revisiting my new Magnus model. I wanted to use a very different 'galaxy-warp-maledictum' style like Ahriman's cloak has. Again this kind of burned me out.

So in an effort to change pace and paint something 'quicker' (relatively speaking!) I turned to the new Tzaangors. I think I'm going to go back to something funner/easier. I'd love to do a Helbrute myself.

To be honest since the last codex I've always wanted to paint a Mutalith Vortex beast. He really wasn't a good choice (imho) so I'm holding off.

So I guess as it stand I'm holding until I see the codex, AND the new boxset.

I don't have an airbrush or the patience to clean it (plus I have to stop during painting frequently to go do other things randomly, so my airbrush would be full of dried paint). I feel like hand brushing the Mutalith makes me not want to get one..... That sounds like a nightmare for a painter with very little "organic" creature experience. 

Sorry about your slight burnout Prot. I get it. Shoulda done those rubrics first, man.. im saving my 10 Scarabs for last as a "reward" after suffering through 30 rubrics. 5 more to go then I can hit the termies.

Edited by Archaeinox

This might be a totally noob question, but will the new codex make Ritual of the Damned redundant?

I presume if the Cults will continue in 9th, they will be fully detailed etc.... in the codex?

Basically, once I start playing again, will I only need to cart around the 1 book? (Until the mid-9th-edition Ritual of the Damned equivalent comes out...)