Preparing for our 9:ed codex

Ulfast

I don't have an airbrush or the patience to clean it (plus I have to stop during painting frequently to go do other things randomly, so my airbrush would be full of dried paint). I feel like hand brushing the Mutalith makes me not want to get one..... That sounds like a nightmare for a painter with very little "organic" creature experience.

Sorry about your slight burnout Prot. I get it. Shoulda done those rubrics first, man.. im saving my 10 Scarabs for last as a "reward" after suffering through 30 rubrics. 5 more to go then I can hit the termies.

You can achieve good looking results with drybrush + glaze with contrast paint on such a model where the skin has many recesses crackles.

In case anyone doesn't know; the Corax White base paint is all but Ulthuan Grey. Or "Corax Grey" as I like to call it :tongue.:

I have 2 GW whites (Corax White and White Scar) and both have quite a chalky consistency and finish. I tend to use them sparingly. Ulthuan Grey and Wraithbone are a little smoother. in my hands, anyway :smile.:

I am surprised to find someone better than me at getting duff paints :laugh.: Mine is nice and smooth and goes on great, so maybe you can have more luck another time? It's not that important as there are plenty of options at least :smile.:

This may seem like a silly question, but we haven't heard of when we may expect the new codex have we? I am trying to plan my near future projects and want to see where Sons can fit in to that...

In case anyone doesn't know; the Corax White base paint is all but Ulthuan Grey. Or "Corax Grey" as I like to call it :tongue.:

I have 2 GW whites (Corax White and White Scar) and both have quite a chalky consistency and finish. I tend to use them sparingly. Ulthuan Grey and Wraithbone are a little smoother. in my hands, anyway :smile.:

I am surprised to find someone better than me at getting duff paints :laugh.: Mine is nice and smooth and goes on great, so maybe you can have more luck another time? It's not that important as there are plenty of options at least :smile.:

This may seem like a silly question, but we haven't heard of when we may expect the new codex have we? I am trying to plan my near future projects and want to see where Sons can fit in to that...

Not really. I THINK the current concensus is late summer/fall-ish. Maybe august/sept. We still have to get through sigmar 3rd edition, and a new ork codex with it's big model release. Not entirely sure if the rumored horus heresy stuff will be in their too. But since this is just a codex release plus 1 new miniature each(pretty much a mirror of the space wolf/ork Prophecy of the Wolf box set) this could easily sneak in somewhere too. Maybe late july. 

My choice in painting priority is a total mix of what I want to paint vs. what I think might be useful. If I had to take stab at being a member of the corvidae, I think a lot of the main battle tanks like the land raider, predators, and vindicator will continue to be some of the more tame/worse choices for heavy support in our codex. The rhino might be a little better as it can now take 2 combi inferno bolters. Totally going off a feeling, but I think the heldrake, forge/mauler, and defiler will be more popular choices. We already know about the BS being changed to 3+. I would rather have a doomwing/firelord, but here is hoping the heldrake will get a better boost and become more menacing. Jeez we need more unique daemon engine choices.

Also hoping that the las/chainsword option for Tzaangor units will be more viable. I appreciate this as a more 40k aesthetic and less age of sigmar. Maybe skyfires will get better, interesting that the unit size was reduced to 6 models max. *crosses fingers for the disc of Tzeentch attacks to get better*. 

Spawn...you stay classy you little objective grabbing devils. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Thanks, that's the problem when it has already been delayed I suppose, it might be that GW isn't sure when they'll release it for all we know :P I feel like it'll be later rather than sooner, I will stick to my current plan of some Rubrics next on my Sons list until I know enough to consider a revision :)

I don't have an airbrush or the patience to clean it (plus I have to stop during painting frequently to go do other things randomly, so my airbrush would be full of dried paint). I feel like hand brushing the Mutalith makes me not want to get one..... That sounds like a nightmare for a painter with very little "organic" creature experience. 

Sorry about your slight burnout Prot. I get it. Shoulda done those rubrics first, man.. im saving my 10 Scarabs for last as a "reward" after suffering through 30 rubrics. 5 more to go then I can hit the termies.

Ah to be honest the Scarabs are just as tedious in relation to armour greaves and line work, etc. I've just accepted it is one of the slowest armies you could possibly do on a model for model basis. :)

The 10 Scarabs looked great when all was completed though. They've always been a favourite of mine  and I look forward to seeing how they operate in the new book! (I hope we keep our old strats too from RotD)

I've just accepted it is one of the slowest armies you could possibly do on a model for model basis.

So that means there won't be too many people jumping onto the bandwagon and we will still be a rare breed? Aw yisssss.

As long as the upcoming codex doesn't somehow....very unlikely....get the biggest power creep attention of them all. Then yes.:teehee: 

I've just accepted it is one of the slowest armies you could possibly do on a model for model basis.

So that means there won't be too many people jumping onto the bandwagon and we will still be a rare breed? Aw yisssss.

As long as the upcoming codex doesn't somehow....very unlikely....get the biggest power creep attention of them all. Then yes.:teehee: 

Good one! 

Actually I'm one of the few people (locally) that LOVED the change to powers like Warp Time. I'm paraphrasing here but I think the new rule says, "NO you can't simply take an Ahriman patrol to be your movement horse!"

I don't anticipate a move to the power game that we've seen with so many of the recent codexes. I think the limited model range ($$$) and the focus on the larger ranges and new models have typically left Thousand Sons in that niche territory. (Though oddly Grey Knights have had a few moments of being extremely good).

I'm just dying for it to come out!  I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

Good one! 

Actually I'm one of the few people (locally) that LOVED the change to powers like Warp Time. I'm paraphrasing here but I think the new rule says, "NO you can't simply take an Ahriman patrol to be your movement horse!"

I'm just dying for it to come out!  I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

There will always be a part of me that loves how Thousand sons have NEVER been top tier. I had the same feeling when I played tomb kings back in the day. Difficult armies that require a lot of thought and synchronization of abilities and powers to make work are my favorite. They tend to naturally keep away bandwagoners and are incredibly rewarding when you do get those wins. Not to mention, the learning curve tends to make you a better strategist. 

I tend to agree with the change to warptime too. Want to mix armies? Go for it. But I prefer that they not synergize with each other in a direct way. Honestly, I fully expect that we will lose access to the standard chaos powers from the chaos marine codex. Gutt feeling says GW will finally rip the Band-Aid off and all the powers in our book will be revamped/redone to an extent, and will be uniquely ours. Which means the possibility of losing death hex, warp time, etc. GW may not be able to give us new units to play with, but Tzeentch I certainly hope that means they spent more effort changing what they could. 

I don't anticipate a move to the power game that we've seen with so many of the recent codexes. I think the limited model range ($$$) and the focus on the larger ranges and new models have typically left Thousand Sons in that niche territory. (Though oddly Grey Knights have had a few moments of being extremely good).

Yeah, I anticipate of the 2, grey knights would pull ahead. And I completely agree with the reasons you already mentioned. At best, maybe necron Tier overall level of power. 

This is one of those armies I would love to own and play but never paint. Not a big builder / painter in the first place but getting that classic look takes more effort than a number of other armies. that being said if I were to start I think Ahriman would be the place to start. He's not going to change model wise (I don't think) and he's likely an Auto Include. 

Edit: Looking at the start collecting box and it's pretty good. You get Ahriman, some goat boys and some Rubric marines. perfect.

Looking at the colors needed - contrast method...you need so many paints!!! this is my problem. 

Edit 2: I am not wondering what the GK vs TSONS box is going to have in it. Ahriman likely include here? 

Edit 2: I am not wondering what the GK vs TSONS box is going to have in it. Ahriman likely include here? 

I really doubt it. Like I mentioned earlier, this looks to be a mirror of the ghaz/ragnar box. Each side getting an existing new unit or 2, and a new character model which GW already let slip. 

I really doubt it. Like I mentioned earlier, this looks to be a mirror of the ghaz/ragnar box. Each side getting an existing new unit or 2, and a new character model which GW already let slip. 

Agreed. At this point I'm using the Eldar vs Dark Eldar box as a realistic expectation. They had one character, and a much needed squad update. While the units in the Thousand Sons codex don't need a huge update, the smaller variety of units does lend itself to something new.

A good example of something I could see is: TS Spawn.

These are a good example where GW gets a good profit on a limited amount of work (why do you think we have a million Primaris LT's?).  I actually use and love Spawn with my TS. I always lovingly refer to them as my failed Sorc squad. But the kit could be 3-5 basic bodies, with mix and match sprues, replacing a VERY old kit. This would be very usable with many other Chaos armies including Death Guard.

That said, going with the 'we make more on a single model' theory, the ol' Psychic Dreadnought is fantastically over due for our army and would fit the bill as well while adding a 'vehicle' to the box set where as a lot of these box sets usually have a vehicle or two in them.

Just guessing, but I know if I were GW, I'd at least do Spawn, if not add a new unit.

• 4 weeks later...

As we'd drifted off topic from how we're preparing for the 9th ed book, to speculating on what might be in the book, I've moved the corresponding posts to the speculation thread here.

Anyone else making any new additions to the army? I'm trying to get a Predator painted up for some long range firepower!

If I wanted to do an army of Magnus, Ahriman, an exalted sorcerer, rubrics, SOT, Hellbrutes, and Forgefiends, (basically no Tzaangors or daemons) would I be able to be to have fun with it and not be blown off the table every game? A small elite force with a toolbox of psychic powers is appealing to me, but not if it’s so compromised as to be an auto lose every game. How do you think this kind of force will shake out in the new book?

I have a suspicion that we’ll need goats to clear objectives as I don’t see rubrics being able to do that on their own. I’m going to try though.

Yea, the advantage of CC to clear objectives is that you at least put your own bodies on there also to score/flip or at least contest. 10 rubrics shooting leaving 1 alive is still an opponent controlled objective. 10 Goats leaving 1 model alive flips it over for possibly a large swing in VP's.

I have a suspicion that we’ll need goats to clear objectives as I don’t see rubrics being able to do that on their own. I’m going to try though.

I am wondering if any changes will make skyfires as more appealing objective grabbers over spawn. 

Below are existing models I own and am hoping to get milage out of for 9th.

I have spare unassembled Rubricae and extra HQs in case I want to do a different color scheme or painting techniques which I am contemplating.

1 Ahriman on Disk assembled and painted, 1 Ahriman on disc unpainted.

3 Exalted Sorcerers (magnetized for disc or foot) assembled and painted.

6 ES assembled but unpainted.

1 Terminator Sorcerer assembled and painted.

30 Rubrics: 10 assembled and painted, 20 unassembled.

25 SOTs:15 assembled and painted

10 unassembled

30 Tzangoors with blades assembled painting in progress

5 Chaos Spawn assembled not painted.

1 Thousand Sons themed Vindicator

1 Thousand Sons themed Predator

This is a force I have built based on personal preference rather than meta however my gaming situation has changed from a few times a year against old friends and the same armies to once or twice a month at a local gaming shop with a friendly and robust community so I might need to kick it up a notch, lol.

Without knowing what 9th has for us I have been wanting to get the following kits for a while to bolster my force.

1-2 Hellbrutes

Vortex Beast

Full Horrors

Screamers

Magnus (one day)