Preparing for our 9:ed codex

Ulfast

I have a list for a 1000 point game this Saturday. Really conflicted.

Never did a list without Ahriman but at 1000 points and wanting to squeeze in warpflamers , a rhino and 3 squads of rubrics this is my first draft.

Cult of Time

Hq. 1 Exalted Sorc on disc, Warlord: immaterial echo, hourglass of Manat.

1 Exalted Sorcerer on disc, undying form (with strat), conniving plate

1 Infernal Master

Troops. 3 five man rubrics, 2 w src and icon, 1 warpflamers w icon and WF Pistols.

Elite: 1 five man Sot with SRC.

1 rhino, stock.

I might put conniving plate on the Infernal Master instead and maybe work another relic in.

Thoughts? I could be playing anyone but my last 2 games were against space marines.

I guess I could drop the icons and warpflamer pistol or maybe a squad of Rubrics to make room for Ari.

Edited by Skerr

I think it looks pretty standard for a thousand points. I mean the thing is with Thousand Sons is the HQ requirements drive the army no matter the point value of the game. So the HQ's are going to be more of a burden on the list at lower point games like this. So I think the points saved on Ahriman are fine. 

You want to use the Infernal Master, he's fun. The Exalteds on Disk give you flexibility while keeping that HQ count high, and having some points left over for fun stuff. I think it looks good.

Agree on the above, HQ i try and keep below 25% of game size. I'd drop one exalted. Also I'm dubious of stuff that requires my character to die to have an effect. I'd rather they didn't die in the first place. 

You also have 40pts of icons, I'd ditch 1-2 and get a combi inferno/flamer on the rhino to double its output. 

Honestly I'm okay with 3 HQ's, but I never play 1K missions, so I might be biased. I do think it works if you can get more bodies in... Tzaangors? Or a block of Cultists with a 4++ would work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally I want to note here that I'm starting to see the incredible layer of complications here. Right now I'm playing single Battalions, but I can see a few patrols being extremely valuable. Once again the challenge being to keep the numbers up. And our Strats are pretty important so keeping CP is important.

I saw a game that inspired me to make a wacky list, and I haven't played it, but I think I will tweak it for future use. The idea being some of these 'situational' powers are actually really big at the right match up, however using them across them army is rather lethargic, hence the smaller detachments. 

The problem with this that I'm seeing is the added complexity of such a list. 

It's the other way round for me :tongue.: But when in doubt always go with what you like most :smile.:

I've had a small play with a draft 1000pts list, and with the warp flamers cost I think only having one in a squad (relatively, I can put them all in one unit of course) is too few? For a price that is quite reasonable when you consider the cost of Rubrics and the overall squad a bit extra roasting power should go far for the investment. I think I might be swapping some of the Rubric squad's weapons to flamers as they await priming. Also conveniently solves one of the problems holding up said priming :tongue.: Just as planned..?

Getting my models out for a game, all my 'Aspiring' Sorcerers are from 3rd ed and have things like power swords and power fists, the options that wee legal when CSM weren't allowed force weapons. In order to be WYSIWYG I'm going to have to make a few aspiring level sorcerers to lead some units, but also make them look not out-of -place with smaller 3rd ed models. Going to be some interesting conversions upcoming!

Getting my models out for a game, all my 'Aspiring' Sorcerers are from 3rd ed and have things like power swords and power fists, the options that wee legal when CSM weren't allowed force weapons. In order to be WYSIWYG I'm going to have to make a few aspiring level sorcerers to lead some units, but also make them look not out-of -place with smaller 3rd ed models. Going to be some interesting conversions upcoming!

If you and your opponent is ok with you using Legends then for Sorcerers (and Sorcerers in Terminator Armour)  you can have most of those old options, sadly not for Aspiring Sorcerers though. 

If you and your opponent is ok with you using Legends then for Sorcerers (and Sorcerers in Terminator Armour)  you can have most of those old options, sadly not for Aspiring Sorcerers though. 

Another thing you could do is make a small "Sons of the Cyclops" Black Legion Detachment to contain those old units and any spare Rubricae who don't fit anymore. Then you have the seeds of another army.

As for the conversions, if you have any Horus Heresy MkIV Marines, those are similar enough in size that the old models should look good next to them and their armor design matches most models across the Thousand Sons range, though with less ornamentation.

EDIT: Sorry for the odd transition here.....posts got combined....Did anyone notice that Chaos Spawn don't have ARCANA ASTARTES and so don't get the 5++ from Brotherhood of Sorcerers? Kinda strange when Helbrutes do and they're not that different in our case.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

Thinking back, when I started Thousand Sons were just units of marines, with the sorcerers as HQ choices. In the 3.5 book, the mark of Tzeentch made marines into rubrics, and the aspiring champion got the psyker rule and could buy spells in addition to other wargear. As such they were just armed like regular aspiring champs. Might be fully time to retire them from active duty and get new dust in.

Thinking back, when I started Thousand Sons were just units of marines, with the sorcerers as HQ choices. In the 3.5 book, the mark of Tzeentch made marines into rubrics, and the aspiring champion got the psyker rule and could buy spells in addition to other wargear. As such they were just armed like regular aspiring champs. Might be fully time to retire them from active duty and get new dust in.

They also had 2 wounds in 3.5. We've come full circle. :biggrin.:

Edited by Mushkilla

Have something like 12 of those guys myself (Power Fists, Swords, etc.). Shuffled them off to Sons of the Cyclops and The Scourged as characters.

We are the original 2 Wound Marines. It is nice to be back, and we picked up a 5++ along the way, permanent inferno bolts (though functionality has changed), as well as the one of the good part of Slow and Purposeful (without any drawback) and part of fearlessness.  

I actually dug out my old 3.5 Codex the other day to have a quick comparison between the codex that made me like Thousand Sons and now, if we ignore the Tzaangor/Cultists stuff (and demon engines I guess), it is a pretty similar codex. It even had proto SOT in that Tzeentch Marked Chaos Marine (aka Rubrics) squads could upgrade to Elite and get Terminator armour with combi bolters and power swords.

Sorry Nostalgia binge is over.

• 2 weeks later...

It has taken me two weeks to finish this last bit of the planned army, but here they are: 9 Enlightened and one Shaman, all on disk bike.

I was not too keen on the actual enlighten on disk look, so have been looking around for other option. For a while I was thinking of using the Pteraxii Skystalkers and combining it with a normal box of Tzaangor, and then I found some unused scout bikes and went for their. When I first planned this conversion Enlightened still had 2 shots, so a combination of bolters/grenade launchers on the bikes seemed appropriate to represent the bow, since then the bows have become one shot at longer range, making the unit less of what I had intended, so I added some extra combat weapons on most of the riders.

gallery_29932_13153_14947.jpg