Techmarines supporting Dreds

Arbiter7

I have actually, however not a redemptor, but relic contemptors (and in my other list, Leviathans). He (the techmarine) works well with contemptors, but due to the W difference for a Leviathan, not so well compared to a Redemptor. With Redemptors, I imagine it would be the same story, if not quicker, on the account the model doesn't have an invuln. If you absolutely want to run a techmarine, bring either a Contemptor or a Leviathan, as an invuln will ensure you have something left to repair by T2. 

I haven't used a techmarine in support of dreads since armor values, shaken/stunned, etc went away.  Repairing a "weapon destroyed" result was money!  So no experience under the current rules with current dread types, but...

Rule of thumb for me is:

1. Can the tech reliably put back at least 1/2 of the dread's lost wounds and bump him back up a bracket in case of a degrading statline?

2.  If so, is that worth 100 points?  If the Master is also filling a required FOC slot (paying a tax), that makes it easier. 

When we're talking about having "something left to repair by turn 2," I'm deeply skeptical.  It sounds like the tech isn't likely to stretch the dread into a third turn in that case, right?  Then it sounds like the dread isn't worth repairing, unless spending a hundred points to make the enemy work slightly harder to finish the wounded dread off on turn two makes sense.  Even if the tech also ends up putting enough wounds back on to have that dread hit on 4s instead of 5s, it's probably not worth it.  

On the other hand, if the enemy's having to work hard for 3-4 turns to bring a model down, then every wound you put back is solid gold and 100 points is cheap.

Edited by march10k

Speak of the devil .... I played a 1k game today and had a primaris Techmarine babysitting a Relic Contemptor with dual twin lascannons, and a Redemptor with plasma incinerator. All three finished the game, and each turn the Techmarine was able to give the Redemptor a 2+ which was golden ... and repaired.

First time out and the concept got serious work done for me.