Rule question- Blessed bolts and others

Okay, so a lot of rules have this clause about the battle sequence ending after mortal wounds are done. How does this work? Does it mean I roll dice one at a time, and as soon as I get a six, they take two mortals, but now I'm done?

If so, why would anyone pay for this? Like if you're rockin rapid fire on your storm bolters, even if you get to roll all 4 dice for a single bolter at the same time, is it really worth as few as two mortals to give up the other twelve shots? And if each of the SB's 4 dice count as a single attack, you could be losing up to fifteen shots!

If that's how it works, you should GAIN command points for taking such a stupid risk, not have to pay command points.

I can't help but think I must be reading this wrong. And there are SOOO many strats that are worded this way.

One(1) attack is a sequence of 1 hit roll, 1 wound roll if you hit and so forth, ie a storm bolter shooting 4 shots would be 4 separate attacks. Check out page 220-221 in the CRB.

So in your specific scenario you would technically roll 1 dice at a time and if you roll a 6 you inflict 2 MW and that attack sequence stops.

In practice, you roll all your dice and any 6s that do 2 MW are removed from the dice pool and you'll continue rolling the rest of the dice in the next steps of the attack sequence.

*Page 363 – Rare Rules

Add the following:

Multiple attacks that inflict mortal wounds

Some attacks can inflict mortal wounds either instead of, or in

addition to, the normal damage. If, when a unit is selected to

shoot or fight, more than one of its attacks that target an enemy

unit have such a rule, all the normal damage inflicted by the

attacking unit’s attacks are resolved against that target before any

of the mortal wounds are inflicted on it.

This is relevant too for that matter, forgot to add it in my previous post.