Transferring games

BrandX

Hello. I was playing warmahordes and star wars armada but warmahordes is dying in my area and star wars armada doesnt have any video games i like. But the new video games for warhammer look fun so i thought i would try this out.

Welcome to the B&C :) It sounds like you're familiar with general hobby and wargaming but are new to 40k? Are there any particular things you're interested in such as models or play styles, or have you already decided on an army to collect? I'm assuming that 40k has a more active community in your area :P

Whatever it is you need someone on the B&C can help :tu:

I'm interested in play styles. Armada is fleet based, and I like having squadrons supported by the larger ships. My Hordes army was Legion of Everblight, I was pretty good at smaller points but larger games would sweep me away. I liked using my big guys to push open lanes to get me a good assassination run in. With warhammer it looks like ill need tanks and flyers to support my ground forces while they do take and hold missions if I understand it correctly. I haven't bought anything yet, but I was leaning towards Emperium. I've been told they get better support, and i guess my track record favors units supporting one another. Also, is there a section here for warhammer video games?

oh and thank you

We have a section that covers the digital part of the 40k hobby under Other Games, but as you'll see the focus on the B&C is predominantly on the table top side so not much discussion happens there. You're probably more likely to find people talking about lore aspects and implications of video games :tongue.:

Speaking of, if you like fleet base Aeronautica Imperialis (AI) might be up your street, but I'm assuming that your focus is on the standard game of 40k. There are many factions to pick from with different aesthetics and play styles so I'd recommend spending some time having a look at what's there and what takes your fancy (that's before we get to any potential lore interest you may have :wink: ).

Your information is correct in that the Imperium tends to get more support from GW, but there's two caveats I'll add here. One is that this really is talking about Space Marines getting more support. It's a very different state of affairs if you collect Guard for example (or Inquisition...) :tongue.: The second is that this doesn't automatically mean it's a good thing - lots of new shiny isn't always best (e.g. your wallet) and what matters most is an army you like.

If you like an army and its models when they were released isn't so important after all. For example most Dark Eldar models are not new outside of the relative but they still look great to me. Plus the models are what you collect, the rules will change (and lore too, albeit much less) so this is the most important part of picking an army in my opinion :smile.:

I'm sure you can find your ideal army as you know wargaming already, but there will be plenty of people happy to help here if you want to ask for recommendations or pointers. For example while an army may have a "traditional" play style there are often variations you can apply which can make a pretty significant change in how they work despite being the same army, my recommendation would be to start with armies you like the look of then filter down by how they play as this worked best for me :smile.:

That's my assumption of the most likely meaning yes, as all armies have supporting roles to be played by units :) Some more so than others but again the dynamics of how this works depends on the army's specifics. For example Marine units supporting each other looks different to Guard ones. I'm sure you'll find your inspiration soon; if not asking a question of the community couldn't be easier ;)

Welcome. If you are interested in units supporting each other on the battlefield, then Tau in 40k could be worth looking at. I have not played much with the latest rules, but the older versions had supporting fire and the marker-light system, so might still be there.

If you are interested in spaceship battles you may have a bit of a wait - or need a 3D printer - but one day I’m sure GW will re-release their armada style game.

Welcome. If you are interested in units supporting each other on the battlefield, then Tau in 40k could be worth looking at. I have not played much with the latest rules, but the older versions had supporting fire and the marker-light system, so might still be there.

If you are interested in spaceship battles you may have a bit of a wait - or need a 3D printer - but one day I’m sure GW will re-release their armada style game.

That sounds supper fun, ill look into them more, thanks