How do you Horus Heresy?

I seem to be the opposite of most; units and wargear are picked and painted if they're a good investment for their role. I've used classically bad units like breachers, but that was mainly due to getting them for cheap and not having enough troops without having a very light Pride list.

I will say I tend to get bored of things that are too effective. Things like phosphex, drop leviathans, iron fire, mechanicum, pre-nerf custodes, etc...I like to find more interesting list builds/units which keeps things fresh instead of just sitting on the clearly unbalanced stuff.

If you want a challenge: try and make an effective Hammerfall RoW list I guess?

Sadly I don't collect fists lol.

...yet ~_~ *glances at new plastic boxed set*

I seem to be the opposite of most; units and wargear are picked and painted if they're a good investment for their role. I've used classically bad units like breachers, but that was mainly due to getting them for cheap and not having enough troops without having a very light Pride list.

I will say I tend to get bored of things that are too effective. Things like phosphex, drop leviathans, iron fire, mechanicum, pre-nerf custodes, etc...I like to find more interesting list builds/units which keeps things fresh instead of just sitting on the clearly unbalanced stuff.

If you want a challenge: try and make an effective Hammerfall RoW list I guess?
Sadly I don't collect fists lol.

...yet ~_~ *glances at new plastic boxed set*

The problem with the new set is that I have a ton of resin heresy infantry left overs that would clash terribly with it, especially the mk2 I secured for a desired white scars army, which is what I want to paint the most, but who's rules are in a massive need of a faq before I feel comfortable playing them.

Hello, well for some reason :wink: in the last few days I've found myself thinking about picking up a 30k army in the not too distant future :biggrin.:

While I make up my mind which Legion they would be* I was wondering how the fraters on B&C approach collecting your 30k army/armies. Do you:

- Collect for competitive games?

- Just buy the models you like?

- Build themed armies?

- Collect everything for a specific Legion?

- Just paint your favourite characters/units?

I'm not really aware of how much of a competitive scene there is for 30k,but I've noticed at local gaming stores it's popular for large games. I've also discovered there's 30k collector/player (Emperor's Children) local to me, which is nice to know :smile.:

Thanks for reading and for any responses!

* I'm torn between Imperial Fists (Sons of Dorn! Breachers and Boltguns! Sentinels of Terra! Etc etc :biggrin.:) and Alpha Legion (they can legitimately fight any other Legion, so narratives for games should be easy to think of :laugh.: )

I blame it all on the Blood Angels and Dark Angels Terminator Praetors.

They looked so badass that I bought them to kit bash them for a Deathwatch army I was putting together. Then the unique units and Contemptors for both Legions came out and looked awesome as well, so I bought them and decided to put the Deathwatch project on hold to turn to 30k. I broke open my Calth and Prospero boxes, which I bought when they came out, and assigned the MKIVs and Tartaros Terminators for the Blood Angels and the MKIIIs and Cataphractii Terminators for the Dark Angels. The NOVA Heresy events also played a huge role in getting me excited about starting 30k. Not only did the painted armies and tables look amazing, the players actually were having a great time and were really good about keeping me interested in 30k every time I talked to them about starting up a Legion.

I'm now painting my Blood Angels infantry as I've been refining two lists for that Legion and one for the Dark Angels that have a unit composition and story I'm excited about. The other thing that's been a motivator is recognizing that I actually prefer infantry/walker focused formats like Zone Mortals and Centurion games, so I'm not in a rush to start getting larger vehicles. I've also parted ways with my 40k collection largely because I want to do a great job with my painting and felt other hobbyists could give that attention to my 40k models, which collected dust on the sprues. That said, the new IF Terminator Praetor looks amazing, so the new set will serve as a starter IF force that he can lead at some point down the future.

Edited by Cris R

How do I Horus Heresy? Slowly

@SkiMaskMohawk - you will have no problem selling the mk II if you’d rather turn to the new plastics. They must already be worth more than you paid for them! And will be until any plastic mk ii rumour is confirmed.

I wanted to go Alpha legion however in my group 2 people were already playing them, decided to be a loyalist and took the Raven Guard route.

After collecting roughly 3k I decided to "discharge" old minis and leftovers for a small Word Bearers force that has grown into 3/4k.

I mostly lurk the web, talk with friends, sporadically play and, as we say in Italy, "every time a pope dies" I paint.

I am really interested in 30K since it was released by I hadn't the funds until Betrayal at Calth. I have a tendency to collect multiple armies and even multiple games, so 30K does not depart from that. :smile.: What I am doing is that I am collecting armies or allied detachment based around a theme or a miniature I like.

Then I try to work a list that would look nice and balanced using the units I like from that army. At the moment I have

- 5000 points of Sons of Horus. I started with them due to the Garviel Loken vs Abbadon miniatures, I also added Horus, reavers and Justaerin.

- 2500 points of Dark Angels. Really liked the colors and style since I saw the Consecrators Dark Angels successor chapter. The list is build around two Land Raider because they look cool and a bit of tactical, jetbikes, and javelin because stormwing/ravenwing.

- 2500 points of Mechanicum. Really liked the thallax fluff and miniatures. This is the army I've had the most fun assembling and painting in years. I'm going for as much robots as possible. Flesh is weak. :biggrin.:

- 2000 points of Adeptus Custodes, again because I liked the miniatures, Valdor, and I had some from Burning of Prospero.

Then the smaller allied forces

- Sigismund, liked the mini so I built an allied detachment of Imperial Fists

- Solar Auxilia to a bare minimum because they are awesome but expensive (Macharius, Dracosan, one rifle squad, one veletaris)

- Tylos Rubio and Nathaniel Garro because they are nice miniatures

Then the Horus Heresy characters I have but that don't have a force yet

- Khârn, I would like to do an Istvaan III force sometime.

- Zardu Layak, I would like to add daemons and stuff

- Raldoron and Sanguinius, my main 40K force is already Blood Angels. I would really like to do them but they would need to standout from other marines forces and probably not be all jump packs.

- Sevatar. I love the miniature, he would deserve to have an accompanying force :smile.:

- Ahriman for BoP. Again, cool looking miniatures. I need to paint at least the complement of marines for BoP.

The issue with building multiple marines forces is that at the start they all look the same and you need to invest a bit in them so there is a difference in force composition. The rites of war helps but because vehicles are expensive and my tastes are quite fixed, I tend to have difficulties imagining really different forces. It's like pizza, once you have established napolitaines (with anchovies) are the best, it's hard to pick something else. :biggrin.:

Regarding playing game, my friends don't play 30K, so when we do play I bring two forces. I've not played against other 30K players.

Edited by Sparika

I like every aspect of the Hobby. For me, heresy is playing, painting and reading.

A really nice way of encapsulating it, definitely! 

I think based on the events I've been lucky enough to go to and as reflected on this forum, the dedication of the community is constantly inspiring.

Because the legions were so big that unless you specifically play a named character or model one based on lore then your glorious leader is whoever you want him to be doing whatever you want him to do and still be sitting snuggly within the parameters of established lore.

I'm thinking of making a space wolf 30k force in dark grey armour with red arms using the bloodied claw rite and calling them the Hounds of Demos. All I need to do is add some razorbacks or stormwolfs or land raider redeemers and my 30k 67th great company who nobody has heard of because the legions are so big are now the 1st company of a 40k successor chapter that already exists, poking tyranids instead of traitors. 

But I'm getting giddy. My summer ebay purge has thus far yielded around £700 to spend on my winter hobby so I'm like a kid at excelmas hammering out my spreadsheets working out what I want...!:biggrin.:

Not sure this is the correct answer, but I don't really Horus Heresy at all! 

I collect for the Great Crusade-era and the period leading up the Great Betrayal. 

I love the eclectic mix of different legion characters, and also the fact that you had these really nasty (broken, really) forces as the good guys! With Night Lords, Iron Warriors and other flattening opposing forces in the name of the Emperor and 'enlightenment'.

It makes what would become the 'traitor' legions super fun - my collection is an ongoing narrative of (late) crusade-era World Eaters carrying out an assault on an Ork empire. 

Also, to make things even more obscure, I collect in 6/8mm for Epic! Mostly for NetEpic (2nd edition) but it's very easy to swap between systems. And you have the Titans that you can use for Adeptus Titanicus etc. 

If you wanted to check it out here is my blog: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/355088-world-eaters-of-the-great-crusade-an-epic-blog/

I guess it probably fits a bit better here than anywhere else in the forum, but it is a bit of an ugly-duckling/unwanted child project :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Because the legions were so big that unless you specifically play a named character or model one based on lore then your glorious leader is whoever you want him to be doing whatever you want him to do and still be sitting snuggly within the parameters of established lore.

While not exactly on topic, this is part of what drew me towards 30k, and certainly one of the defining reasons it’s still my main setting within the hobby.

To be able to create a backstory for my armies that is both it’s own unique collection of ideas and it can also sit comfortably within an established framework of lore is so fulfilling. There’s just things you cannot do convincingly with Marines in 40k that you can in the 30k universe. I love this setting and I hope it stays alight for a long time to come.

The legions being so vast is what makes it great. You can choose to have a siege World Eater army, a fast moving Salamanders force etc, it's all legitimately playable.

It's sad when you see the same things being trundled out because they're undeniably effective. It's rare to not see Garlan Surlak for example. He's only one guy, he's busy!

The legions being so vast is what makes it great. You can choose to have a siege World Eater army, a fast moving Salamanders force etc, it's all legitimately playable.

It's sad when you see the same things being trundled out because they're undeniably effective. It's rare to not see Garlan Surlak for example. He's only one guy, he's busy!

Well unfortunately certain list building tools are locked behind special characters. Malogurst with veterans, golg with terminators, Sigismund with templars, a ton of the primarchs, etc ...

That's a big reason why you see some of the characters a lot (other than people just being huge fans).

• 2 weeks later...

Having grown disgusted with the highly competitive nature of 40k and people playing grey blobs of plastic in my area, and can't forget the absurd 9th edition rules bloat I Heresy for the Rule of Cool and Narrative. I started with just whatever I could find a great deal on for my VII Legion and what else I could repaint of my Black Templars to fit in the Heresy.

I have been lucky to join a large group of deeply committed Heresy players with a massive gamming space, and zero tolerance for WAAC. 30K is everything I always wanted out of wargaming but could not find since I started way back in 2nd edition. 

On to how I, the club at large, build armies it is rather simple. We all generally build a collection as fluffy as possible to fill out the standard FOC. Except for HQ's, can't have too many options there. Though with 2, soon to be 4, ZM tables in the club we all have some units solely for those close range fights (love some heavy flamers and breachers). 

Having grown disgusted with the highly competitive nature of 40k and people playing grey blobs of plastic in my area, and can't forget the absurd 9th edition rules bloat I Heresy for the Rule of Cool and Narrative. I started with just whatever I could find a great deal on for my VII Legion and what else I could repaint of my Black Templars to fit in the Heresy.

I have been lucky to join a large group of deeply committed Heresy players with a massive gamming space, and zero tolerance for WAAC. 30K is everything I always wanted out of wargaming but could not find since I started way back in 2nd edition. 

On to how I, the club at large, build armies it is rather simple. We all generally build a collection as fluffy as possible to fill out the standard FOC. Except for HQ's, can't have too many options there. Though with 2, soon to be 4, ZM tables in the club we all have some units solely for those close range fights (love some heavy flamers and breachers). 

That's a great story to read. Exactly the same thing happened to me, albeit a few years ago with a previous edition. Just got sick of £100s of miniatures getting wiped out by pie-plate templates fired from unpainted Tomix toys and cried enough. (Although, I went to Epic!)

At least with Black Templars you have a number of black-coloured legions that hopefully won't need too much of a re-work! :) 

• 4 months later...

I just own a demons of the ruinstorm force, because I like to run my models in different games (ie AoS, 40k, 30k, WarCry, Killteam,...)

But once I started 30k I built some models exclusively for the Ruinstorm list, meaning there are no rules for them in other systems.

If I had the opportunity to play more games oh HH I would build another force of Demons. Khorne in addition to my actual Nurgle ones (I know that HH doesn't know these gods).

That being said it's always rule of Cool for me.

I commit Heresy by playing with lovely fully painted armies, excellent terrain and by writing terrible fluff.

Makes a nice change from the tide of grey plastic and shooting gallery tables that seem to dominate 40k.

Edited by Trixie