Master of Ambush and Infiltrators

Musashi

“After Deployment” rules happen during the Resolve Pre-Battle Abilities step. The example given here is the Lord of Deceit Warlord Trait, where you’d re-deploy up to three <CHAPTER> PHOBOS units during this step"

This is taken from Goonhammer review. Resolve Pre-Battle Abilities is step 13, Determine First Turn is step 12. My understanding is that Master of Ambush and Lord of Deceipt would then be resolved after knowing who goes first.

“After Deployment” rules happen during the Resolve Pre-Battle Abilities step. The example given here is the Lord of Deceit Warlord Trait, where you’d re-deploy up to three <CHAPTER> PHOBOS units during this step"

This is taken from Goonhammer review. Resolve Pre-Battle Abilities is step 13, Determine First Turn is step 12. My understanding is that Master of Ambush and Lord of Deceipt would then be resolved after knowing who goes first.

The problem with this argument is that step 13 excludes abilities that allow units to be deployed in reserve.  Lord of Deceit is such an ability.  Needs an FAQ :(  I can't imagine GW would FAQ this ability restricting its use to step 11 since that would make it instant trash tier and never be taken by anyone ever.  If it could be used in step 13 then it would be reasonable and useful in certain lists.    

Lord of Deceit gets BIG changes, as you can now redeploy anywhere instead of having to pull back into your deployment zone, or even put units into Strategic Reserves for free, but you have to do it pre-roll off – which ends up being a big nerf to its effectiveness, as you no longer get to redeploy after knowing who’s going first

That’s from their 9th edition review of the Space Marine Codex. I haven’t found it changed yet … lord knows I want to …

I think it’s actually not bad if you build a plan around it. I found it especially useful in Crusade games at the Incursion level. I’ve decided to give it a test if I get any games on the 2k level for a while so I’ll talk about it in my Warhawk battle reports this summer. I won’t get the same use out of it as I did with Eliminators in my list since I’m running Eradicators now but it might be more useful to have something that helps the mission than it does +1D on the Phobos Captain’s rifle