Best Gravis Tactics

I will soon have 4 complete and table top ready gravis units.(captain w/bolt rifle, aggressors, inceptors, HIs)

So best used together mostly like a big ol' block of chonk that needs a lot of fire power to clear out?

Or

Best used spread out adding a bit of sturdiness all over the table?

For me they'll be supported by a tac squad, SG, and DC. Maybe a dread and storm raven, and Intercessors

But in general what do you think is the best way to use a lot of gravis?

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

RandomMarine - I think he is playing BA, can't really think of DC being anything but death company.

Inquisitor_Lensoven - What options did you take with your Gravis units, and do you have a preference on secondary objectives?

the HIs will have the 3shot rifles and an HB.

Inceptors all plasma

Aggressors boltstorm w/ fragstorm.

Personally I'd split them up in a list like yours. If I'm right about your list being BA I'm guessing SG doesn't stand for sternguard but sanguinary guard. If so you have a couple of good aggressive deep strikers, and a third more reactive deep striking unit with the plasma Inceptors. 

So I'd probably plan on using Oath of Moment, and Engage on All fronts as two of your 3 secondary objectives. Engage will take care of itself with that many aggressive deep strikers, and with your gravis core you should have a couple of options for holding the center. With the inceptors providing a deterrent for them to go after your objective holders you should be fine.  

I tend to mix my Gravis round a bit but I find the different units fulfil different roles. The Plasmaceptors are my fire support and normally come in from Reserves on T2 to take out a high value target (assuming I can clear a landing zone). HIs tend to form my second wave. I don't use them to camp my home Objective (especially not with the Assault 3 guns). I move them up behind my spearhead to camp on midfield Objectives and give my opponents headaches. They have to choose between the tough unit that is not pumping out that much damage but it racking up VPs or the more aggressive units that are about to hit his lines. Aggressors tend to form the spearhead and I move them forwards.

I find Gravis units tend to work well with other units that can receive durability buffs. Phobos units with Smokescreen, bikes with Skilled rider etc. Put your opponent in the position where you have a strat to nerf most of his anti-infantry fire at your ObjSec units

Personally I'd split them up in a list like yours. If I'm right about your list being BA I'm guessing SG doesn't stand for sternguard but sanguinary guard. If so you have a couple of good aggressive deep strikers, and a third more reactive deep striking unit with the plasma Inceptors.

So I'd probably plan on using Oath of Moment, and Engage on All fronts as two of your 3 secondary objectives. Engage will take care of itself with that many aggressive deep strikers, and with your gravis core you should have a couple of options for holding the center. With the inceptors providing a deterrent for them to go after your objective holders you should be fine.

yep my list is blood Angels.. Guess i didn't think about using the inceptors as a QRF.

But ya, I plan on putting the dread in their back field, as well as my deep strikers.

Plasma Inceptors are pretty flexible, so its not like you have to use them as a response units. Its more with the units your listing I don't see how you can really screen out any deep striking threats. So play some mind games lol.

I will say if your playing against an opponent like Karhedron who runs infiltrators, you may want them on the table. Not being able to deep strike within 12 inches stops charges even with the +1 charge, so clearing them out is going to be a priority for you. Game size will also be a factor because you can only have so many points in reserve.   

Plasma Inceptors are pretty flexible, so its not like you have to use them as a response units. Its more with the units your listing I don't see how you can really screen out any deep striking threats. So play some mind games lol.

I will say if your playing against an opponent like Karhedron who runs infiltrators, you may want them on the table. Not being able to deep strike within 12 inches stops charges even with the +1 charge, so clearing them out is going to be a priority for you. Game size will also be a factor because you can only have so many points in reserve.

my brother will be my most common opponent probably, he's DE and necrons, so not much deep striking that I can think of.

Next most common will be a dude who is Scars and necrons.

So I'm not too worried about screening out deep strikers.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently playing a gravis list. the only non-gravis models are the support pieces (chaplain on bike, apothecary, lieutenant/foot chaplain). i've run it as white scars and salamanders

for the way you are set up, white scars is actually a really interesting fit. average "move" of 8 inches after advance rolls, then everyone shoots at full BS, with plenty of artefacts and powers to buff chunky boys flying around the board, with the super doctrine making heavy intercessors and inceptors into a somewhat credible threat in combat. advice for your captain would be to roll plume of the planesrunner and have him bowling around with aggressors as the combat re-roll is big for them. chaplain, also a baller option for that hit re-roll

the way i've preferred running them is to lean into the durability and hitting power. with half the gravis unit options having melta or flamer options, salamanders ends up meshing really well. your +1 to wound strat goes amazing with plasmaceptors, or for heavy intercessors shooting against MEQs. two FNP bubbles (apoth, obsidian aquila) plus all the rest of the salamander goodies is great.

As you've already built boltstorm aggressors (i did the same) and have no eradicators, check out white scars. makes a massive difference to the mobility issues