Knights, Painting and GWs Tournament rules

INKS

One of the rules is to have your army painted to represent particular armies. (poor wording on my part). If you paint them Ultra Marines then you can't use Salamander rules. makes sense. 

My worry for my Knights / Armagers is I don't know how to paint them. I've been running house krast mostly. But I am thinking that I should paint them something that isn't aligned with any house so that if I want to use rules other than Krast I can. 

How do you guys / gals paint your knights and do you worry about this?

If you paint your army specifically to be a certain let’s say space marine chapter, Ultramarines, blood angels, etc. It will be difficult with some players at some tournaments. However I don’t believe there is a specific rule that prohibits you from using whatever rules and chapter you prefer.

That being said what people have usually done that make their own knight house, or space marine chapter, is come up with a lore and use whatever rules they think best represents their army.

If you love a certain house, then paint it that way. If you want to make your own, come up with your own paint scheme and use whatever rules you like.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit more Puritanical then most here, when it comes to painting etiquette.  If I played against a established Household, Chapter, Klan ect,  I would expect they would play within the confines of their resent Codex.  So if I liked how House Krast played, and their lore, I would paint My Knights in their color and be proud of it, even if the rules were not " competitive" at that moment in the meta roulette.  If this is a deliberation that is mostly about winning, then Choosing a DIY house is the best choice.  You can use any of the rule sets you choose, whenever you feel like it.  To play against such a army causes less bad feelings.  

The Mechanicus houses are easier since they are almost all some combination of red, black and yellow. Paint them in a scheme that you like or maybe make up one that is a mix of Krast and Raven elements. As long as you do not use a specific house badge, no one can fault you.

I feel a bit miffed by the whole thing since my Knights are painted in a blue livery with gold trim which look rather like House Terryn. But it is actually the livery of my old Titans from way back in the days of Epic. I am not copying Terryn's colour scheme, GW are copying mine! :tongue.:

Edited by Karhedron

I would hope that TOs interpreted it as “each detachment should be identifiable by paint job” with perhaps a side order of “if you field detachments of ultramarines and blood angels then the angels should be red and the ultras blue rather than vice versa as it might confuse people “

I’d hope that anyone running mono could play as what they like. Seems crazy to enforce it too strictly. (Not that it won’t happen!)

How do you guys / gals paint your knights and do you worry about this?

My preferred painting style for flat armor panels doesn't work too well with the usual paint schemes - panels have color gradients, details are too small for gradients, and decals don't work well on gradiented background.

So I have my own scheme to get the result I want. Color choice and added details clearly mark it as AdMech-affiliated (red-to-black gradients, white/metal details, AdMech logos), but it is not linked to any official knight house. It doesn't matter for games, as long as all knights are from the same Questor Mechanicus house.