Armoured Breakthrough and Fury of the Ancients

Valkyrion

Weirdly, old Flames of War supplements are really handy for digging around various nations organisational plans if you are planning something big

There’s a nice collection of historical organisation charts at Battle Order if you’re looking to crib from real world armies.

For example, different late WW2 interpretations of a “Medium Tank Company”: Soviet, Nazi Germany and US Army.

For whatever it's worth, the land raider squadron composition is 1-3 tanks if I recall correctly, so I guess 2-3 vehicle squadrons for that size seems about right, even if the actual gameplay size restriction is most likely for balance reasons. Edited by Elzender

The screen shot shows 1 squad of preds, a sicaran, 1 land raider, one lone predator (the turret ring one that is unpainted?) a vindicator and a cerberus. That would be 6 units without the Legion BA trait to his 5 troops.

Unless that OG pred with the turret ring is actually a rhino.

Edited by Spagunk

I run a BA Armoured Breakthrough at 2500 points. Having all my smaller tanks Fast and giving pretty much everything assault cannons really appeals.

Did you just forego legion traits altogether to play this one?

It's legal, or at least it was when this was taken. It's 7 units of Legion Astartes and 7 without.

For whatever it's worth, the land raider squadron composition is 1-3 tanks if I recall correctly, so I guess 2-3 vehicle squadrons for that size seems about right, even if the actual gameplay size restriction is most likely for balance reasons.

It's just single tanks in the slots.

The screen shot shows 1 squad of preds, a sicaran, 1 land raider, one lone predator (the turret ring one that is unpainted?) a vindicator and a cerberus. That would be 6 units without the Legion BA trait to his 5 troops.

Unless that OG pred with the turret ring is actually a rhino.

That's usually a Razorback, it was a Rhino for this game.

List used:

• Master of Armour (Sicran)
  • Master of Signal (in HS Rhino)
  • Veteran Tactical Squads (in Rhino)
  • Predator
  • Predator
  • Attack Bike
  • Attack Bike
  • Heavy Support Squad (in Rhino)
  • Vindicator
  • Cerberus

Thinking about it, there was supposed to be a Land Speeder and a Scorpius too but my opponent thought we agreed 2300 so I dropped those two and some wargear iirc)

Can I bypass the dedicated transport restriction on a tactical squad by taking a squad of more than 10?

As long as it numbers no more than 10 models, the squad may choose a Rhino as a Dedicated Transport.

The rite of war says;
All Infantry units that can do so must purchase a Dedicated Transport, and those without the option must be deployed mounted in another vehicle which itself has a Transport capacity.

By making the tactical squad 11-20 man strong it no longer has the option to purchase a dedicated transport, correct? So I could put them in a spartan?

Can I bypass the dedicated transport restriction on a tactical squad by taking a squad of more than 10?

As long as it numbers no more than 10 models, the squad may choose a Rhino as a Dedicated Transport.

The rite of war says;
All Infantry units that can do so must purchase a Dedicated Transport, and those without the option must be deployed mounted in another vehicle which itself has a Transport capacity.

By making the tactical squad 11-20 man strong it no longer has the option to purchase a dedicated transport, correct? So I could put them in a spartan?

You can put it in a spartan but that won't make the spartan a dedicated transport. Otherwise that should be fine, so long as the squad is deployed in a vehicle that has the capacity.

I'm just obsessed with building a full armoured company via the Rite of 5 Sicarans, 27 Predators, 6 Sabres and a Fellblade - no way I'd ever be able to actually collect it but maybe just one of the three 'phalanxes' that constitute it (One Sicaran, two Sabres & a trio of 3-strong predator squadrons) is possible *some* day.

If you'd buy and paint one Sicaran, one Sabre and five Predators per year it is done in 5 years. Just play the long game. ;)