My first 9th ed game

MadEdric

Sunday I played a game with my friend (Imperial Fists Andes). His Primaris Imperial Fists against my Firstblood Ultramarines. 

While the game was mainly to get back in and learn the new rules (getting the secondaries down), it was a pretty dang fun game as well.

I ran:

Captain: Adept of the Codex, Master of Strategy

Chaplain: All the upgrades

3 10 man tac squads

2 VV squads, 7 with jump packs, 6 without. Because I wanted to play a painted army these two squads were not what I really wanted, mainly old style bolt pistols and chainswords, but each did have a couple powerfists as well.

Ven Dread with twin lascannon, fist

Attack Bike with MM

Landspeeder with MM/AC

10 man Dev squad, 2 ML, 2 PC

2 Rhinos, each with HC missile

1 Twin lascannon Razorback

Andes ran:

Tor 

A Lt with Lament

2 5 man Assault Intercessors, Sgts had either a PF or TH

2 5 man Intercessor squads, one normal, one with the assault version.

3 Boltstorm Aggressors

Invictor

Redemptor

Apoc with upgrade (but not the WL trait)

5 Hellblasters with the heavy option

3 Eradicators

Impulsor

Replusor

I think that was the list, might have forgotten one unit.

Anyway, I wanted to see how Firstbloods fared against Primaris.

We played a simple mission (the hold one, hold two type) with Secondaries this time!

It ran the full 5 turns and while the IF won, it was by a mere 2 points; 68 to 66.

I've forgotten most of the game already, but was more interested in my thoughts on the game as a whole.

Things I found out:

Really, remember that you have Adept of the Codex, never rolled for one refund the whole game, also forgot about Master of Strategy.

The flexibility of the tac squad is a great tool in lists. My lascannon marine in my tac squad was most likely my MVP, being crucial in killing the Impulsor, Replusor, plus killing the last Eradicator, clearing an objective. Getting the 2nd wound really has boosted them. 

I had first thought 2 wounds was not much, because I was playing my Chaos the first time. I will reword, your opponent having 2 wounds really doesn't matter to Bezerkers and Deamon Engines, they have the weight of attacks or the power to to deal multiple wounds. That said, I did notice the increased resiliency of my troops. It was nice to take the previous number of wounds that would wipe a squad, and suddenly you only loose 2 and have a wound on one.

Landspeeders and Attack bikes are great, cheap points for a very mobile MM platform. 

Plasma cannons, I'm up in the air on them, against MSU, they are not so good.

Know the secondaries, the game could have swayed more either direction depending on the objectives chosen.

That's pretty much all, a scattering of thoughts. I really do like 9th ed. 

Good to read.

Yes I'm not enthused on Plasma Cannons. I like Grav Cannons instead, as they generate a consistent number of shots, plus if you ever get to use Catechism of Fire on them from a Chaplain you'll really enjoy it ;)

2 wounds on Firstborn is a game changer. A bad roll that might see 5 dead now only kills 2 and lets those special and heavy weapons fire longer.

I agree with the above. Grav Cannons are better than Plasma Cannons in the main due to consistent number of shots and 2D without the risk of overcharging. If you need heavier fire then units with fixed number of shots like Inceptors or Hellblasters make better sources of plasma.

Oh I missed this earlier, but you mentioned you wanted to see how Firstborn and Primaris fared against each other? Well the good news, bar a few units, most of the Codex is quite good on internal balance.

You've likely realised that with the result you had. :)