Which firstborn dread?

So ironclad is T8, contemptor has 9W and a 5++, and venerable has a 6+++.

Just wondering which of these everyone prefers for durability?

• I enjoy an Ironclad as most opponents are terrified of it and it takes all the attention away from my other vehicles.

• I also take a Contemptor in the same list as it's super fast and that takes folk by surprise and puts pressure on them.

• I don't take the Venerable much but I do rate them as a fire support platform.

So in summary, I take several Dreadnoughts in my lists alongside other vehicles. I like the pressure units on the frontline with Ironclads and Contemptors, so that's where I go.

If you play Iron Hands the relic contemptor is amazing. You can make him a character so he benefits from look out sir and give him a warlord trait - I go with target protocols.

Yeah a Venerable Contemptor essentially. Great stuff.

A Contemptor with a Multimelta is a solid choice. It is fast, punchy and a bit more durable than a regular Dread whilst packing 9th's favourite anti-tank weapon.

I realise you said Firstborn but my Redemptor has been MVP in several games in 9th so far.

Edited by Karhedron

I'm with the stock multi-melta contemptor. It's a great all rounder: it's fast, it's durable with inbuild 5++ and it hits real hard with Str 7 (14) to wound most big things on 2+. Most of the boxdreads I feel are a little too expensive by comparison. 20ish points for +1 wound, +2" movement, +1 str, and a 5++? Totally worth it.

Ironclad.  Nice big chunk of T8 that is an absolute wrecking ball if you can deliver it.

Strap one to a Storm Raven Gunship and watch your opponent sweat. Is it the most competitive thing in the meta? Possibly not. Would it be fun to play? Very probably. ;)

Ironclad. Nice big chunk of T8 that is an absolute wrecking ball if you can deliver it.

Strap one to a Storm Raven Gunship and watch your opponent sweat. Is it the most competitive thing in the meta? Possibly not. Would it be fun to play? Very probably. ;)

I've tried that; I had a fun little list of a Storm Raven carrying a veteran squad, Captain, and a Dread, and a Storm Talon in support. Extremely fluffy, highly prone to just evaporating turn one.

Ironclad. Nice big chunk of T8 that is an absolute wrecking ball if you can deliver it.

I've tried that; I had a fun little list of a Storm Raven carrying a veteran squad, Captain, and a Dread, and a Storm Talon in support. Extremely fluffy, highly prone to just evaporating turn one.
as long as it delivers the payload, and gets to knock some wounds off of a unit, is that so bad?

No one, at least I'm not taking the SR hoping to use it as a flying MBT.

as long as it delivers the payload, and gets to knock some wounds off of a unit, is that so bad?

No one, at least I'm not taking the SR hoping to use it as a flying MBT.

Two flyers, a dread, and 11 infantry was the whole list though; flyers are really hard to block LoS to so the SR frequently died in my deployment zone. As half of a 2000 point list it might not have been so bad.

I had my first game of 9th on Friday (I’m also a novice player so take that into account) and took 6 dreads: 2*ironclads with chainfist/hurricane/melta/hunter killers, 1 Contemptor with assault cannon, 1 venerable with TLC/ML, standard dread with assault cannon and fist and redemptor with onslaughts. Played as Imp fists vs a Salamanders list loaded (as you’d expect) with flamers and melta.

Though I took some earlier losses (1 Ironclad/Contemptor) the sheer number took my opponent by surprise and the remaining ironclad was my MVP single handedly taking out his plasma redemptor and relic shield tough as nails captain. The chainfist is brutal in combat, especially vs vehicles.

I’m fast growing back in love with the Ironclad

The main issue of ironclad bois is how to get them to the front. I personally prefer all melee for the rerolls but on a 2000pt board you probably need to SR them or be white scars.

Venerable can be fun just stomping around, but really the main concern is just never take the plain dreadnought when you could pay a couple points more for a venerable one.