Mournival Events Titanicus Errata/FAQ

This came up within the Volkite chat, it's the in-house FAQ for the Mournival events team in Oz, they have some interesting ideas which are worth considering including:

• Any Volkite hit on a shield produces 3 saves, so they work as they were described in the original War Com article.
  • If a weapon is hit, the lowest hit which would disable the weapon does so, all subsequent rolls are detonations, rather than wasted.
  • They have a grading of the DoR legio traits, and you can't take a power gamer combo. (Which my preferred one would apparently be!)
  • Additional weapons, like alternative missile loadouts, the option to take a VMB on the arioch power claw, and Plasma Blastguns for Reaver and Warlord Carapaces.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/190699548351507/permalink/983880599033394

(This is an open link to the download page, but it is on FB, but you don't need to join the group to download it.)

On the whole, some interesting ideas.

Annnnd that's why I don't like mournival. There's some pretty arbitrary decisions in there like the custom traits and true messengers nerf, while doing nothing about the acastus or terrible mechanicum knights classes. They're not fixing balance problems, just shifting them.

Edit: I should say it's not so much them specifically as any group that's decided to be the bringer of balance, be it ITC in 7th-8th or mournival in 30k and AT. They just warp the game in a different direction.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Most of these things are arbitrary one way or another.

I like the detonation rule, I think it's more in keeping with the narrative nature of the game for excess damaging shots to not be 'wasted' in that way.

I also like the ideas on processing misses for carapace blast weapons. (Which I think is a weapon combination which only exists in this rule set?)

I enjoy looking at people's homebrew ideas, even if they are for the most part terribly whack (see various projects to incorporate tanks and infantry into AT). Mournival's isn't that wacky, though I wouldn't really enjoy plasma blastguns on Reavers in a competitive environment.

Most of these things are arbitrary one way or another.

I like the detonation rule, I think it's more in keeping with the narrative nature of the game for excess damaging shots to not be 'wasted' in that way.

I also like the ideas on processing misses for carapace blast weapons. (Which I think is a weapon combination which only exists in this rule set?)

Was going to say that that's how detonations worked, or nothing in the core rules told you to stop. But then I checked the faq and saw I've been playing it wrong the entire time lol.

A real mix of calls there really, tbh i would prefer an faq like this to fix obvious problems and maybe add some more obvious missing weapons, though the plasma and melta missiles seem awful :P Rather than limiting poor knight armies and showing that someone on the team bought a lot of volkites :D 

Personally I prefer the official way, as it makes the titans a bit more survivable against incidental blasting while not really affecting how you need to focus stuff down. Not the biggest deal, but it makes the math a bit less brutal for the target since it doesn't suddenly double the amount of hits to their Body in a regular exchange of fire.

I did find it odd that barrage missiles lack, well, 'Barrage'.

I thought that odd as well, but it’d do a ton of hits against knights… I’m now really interested in trying one of these next game I play. Or the melta one

The balance may swing a bit in favour when Warmasters become more popular? You'll be wanting to eke out as much damage as possible.

Not really, it's a general design aesthetic preference. The Warmaster, while big and scary, is still quite killable by targeted fire anyway and even if such selfish motivations drove the thinking on the subject, it would be beneficial for smaller engines to have ablative barriers against the Warmasters' huge guns.

I don’t think these changes are necessary and some of them are problematic. In particular, plasma blastguns are too good, so letting reavers take them is a huge upgrade. Paired ones on a warlord would be ludicrous, especially in an Extermigus maniple. Enjoy up to 8 S12 hits for one heat.

I've just found a decent STL for a carapace PBG for a Reaver, and I'm keen for it!

For me, the problem the Reaver has, particularly when unsupported by either Warhounds or Warlords, is the damage dealing ranged weapons are a bit swingy. They strip shields very well between Gatlings, Apocs and Carapace Vulcans, but for the big damage you're looking at the Volcano and Melta, which are literally a bit hit or miss.

The best they have is the Laser Blaster, but that's more of a finishing weapon than a dependable big damage weapon. So I think a carapace PBG could be quite fun. A friend and I are going to give them a go and see how they play out.