Boltstorm vs Flamestorm Aggressors

GratasDufan

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but I couldn't find a discussion thread since 9th, so here goes:

I have a six-man squad kitted with bolt storms and fragstorms that I put together and painted in 8th. Since the nerfs in 9th and the fragstorms being +5 pts each (30 pts for the squad), I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the bolt storms with flamsetorms. This drops the point cost for the squad by 30 points, giving me about room for an extra sanguinary guard or something in that realm. My strategy is also to stick a Chief Apothecary Sanguinary Priest and Librarian with Unleash Rage and Shield of Sanguinius just behind the Aggressors to make them very durable, a little more deadly in Fight phase (assuming I don't botch the rolls like I usually do), and march them into the center of the board or other mid-field objective area and bog it down, tie up some units, while smashing things in the face. I haven't had many chances to try it out since 9th came out, but I did it against DG recently pretty effectively. Anyways, so back to my original question, what's the opinion on whether it's worth the pain trying to swap out the boltstorms with flamestorms on models that are already assembled and painted? (Also, if anyone has any tips on how to remove the boltstorms that I put on with some hardy plastic glue without breaking my models, I'd appreciate it.) Thank you!

Flamestorms have also gone up 12" range in 9th which is helpful. Flamestorm is also good for BAs as the +1" Advance makes it a bit more tempting to try and get those auto-hitting shots in.

As for modifying models that are already painted and assembled, that depends on how confident you feel and how nice the original paint job is. Very much your call. :wink:

There's no easy way to remove plastic glue (unlike superglue) as it basically welds the plastic together. A sharp modelling knife and a steady hand are the best I can recommend.

Edited by Karhedron

Personally I'm still all about the drag/boltstorm

Mine wiped a squad of necron warriors in a single turn from outside Flamer range.

On average you'll get roughly the same number of shots between then two types of gauntlets, but then you get D3 extra shots from the fragstorm.

Just my preference

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but I couldn't find a discussion thread since 9th, so here goes:

I have a six-man squad kitted with bolt storms and fragstorms that I put together and painted in 8th. Since the nerfs in 9th and the fragstorms being +5 pts each (30 pts for the squad), I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the bolt storms with flamsetorms. This drops the point cost for the squad by 30 points, giving me about room for an extra sanguinary guard or something in that realm. My strategy is also to stick a Chief Apothecary Sanguinary Priest and Librarian with Unleash Rage and Shield of Sanguinius just behind the Aggressors to make them very durable, a little more deadly in Fight phase (assuming I don't botch the rolls like I usually do), and march them into the center of the board or other mid-field objective area and bog it down, tie up some units, while smashing things in the face. I haven't had many chances to try it out since 9th came out, but I did it against DG recently pretty effectively. Anyways, so back to my original question, what's the opinion on whether it's worth the pain trying to swap out the boltstorms with flamestorms on models that are already assembled and painted? (Also, if anyone has any tips on how to remove the boltstorms that I put on with some hardy plastic glue without breaking my models, I'd appreciate it.) Thank you!

I'd stick with boltstorm, as the range will be useful for the role you describe above. If you were deepstriking them, and wanted to keep them cheapre, I'd say go flamers. But if you want to dominate a mid-field objective, dakka and range are your best friends. So either keep the aggressors or maybe go relic terminators for something cheaper, a little less shooting dakka, similar melee but natively more durable (hence in need of less support, maybe would only need the apothecary, freeing up the priest and librarian to do work elsewhere). 

Rules will change no matter what. Keep your boltstorms because in some years they will be superior again. If you really fancy some flamestorm Aggressors you cout grab a box or two of the etb guys

The ETB Aggressors have been discontinued, so no dice there! Rules always change though. Flamestorm was useless in 8th, other than for sallies, boltstorm may be weaker in 9th. Who knows what will be better next ed. 

Nobody is really going to care what they're really armed with though, outside tourneys with strict WYSIWYG policies. Just tell your opponent what they have. I'm going to run 3 and 3 as a 6 man unit, then remove the models with the wrong equipment first. 

Rules will change no matter what. Keep your boltstorms because in some years they will be superior again. If you really fancy some flamestorm Aggressors you cout grab a box or two of the etb guys

The ETB Aggressors have been discontinued, so no dice there! Rules always change though. Flamestorm was useless in 8th, other than for sallies, boltstorm may be weaker in 9th. Who knows what will be better next ed.

Nobody is really going to care what they're really armed with though, outside tourneys with strict WYSIWYG policies. Just tell your opponent what they have. I'm going to run 3 and 3 as a 6 man unit, then remove the models with the wrong equipment first.

They are discontinued? What a shame.

Personally I'm still all about the drag/boltstorm

Mine wiped a squad of necron warriors in a single turn from outside Flamer range.

On average you'll get roughly the same number of shots between then two types of gauntlets, but then you get D3 extra shots from the fragstorm.

Just my preference

D6 extra shots from the fragstorm. 

You will on average get slightly more shots with the flamestorm gauntlets but the big difference is that the Flamestorms auto hit.

Flamestorms actually get slightly more hits on average than bolsters plus fragstorm and cost fewer points. Of course there will be times the extra range of the bolts boltstorms allow them shots when the Flamestorms would be out of range.

I sorta look at it like this.

Marines have better stuff to bring massed Str4 bolter fire. So even if boltstorm aggressors have the advantage over flamestorm, what they bring isn't actually necessary.

I'd much rather have 10 auto Bolt intercessors than boltstorm aggressors thanks to obsec, and the shoot twice strat.

So if your running aggressors, your running them for a reasonably durable brawler unit with powerfists, and you either don't want to use Termies or value the T5.

In which case, the wall of overwatch even a small unit of flamestorms can put out is far more valuable than additional bolter shots.