Fully Sick idea for a Sallies Ironclad Dreadnought.

Hi all I was perusing through the GW web-store and came across the SW Venerable Dreadnought kit. Seen it a million times and thought it’d be cool kit to own if I ever started SW, but this time, when looking at that honking huge axe I asked myself the question, what if I replaced the axe head with a hammer. I’d keep the bottom half of the axe where it joins the hand and use the top half of the Nemesis hammer from the Nemesis Dreadknight. I like magnetising options on my SM vehicles, and I have Chainfist from an Ironclad that I sourced for a conversion that never came to fruition, so would magnetise the model at the wrist so I can swap between the chainfist and the hammer. Between the SW dread and the Ironclad I’d have alll the wrist mounted weapon options I need, plus some SW bling to add to my Bitzbox, and a MM arm for a regular boxnought. The only problem would be coming up with a way to mount the hurricane bolters on the opposite side. I was thinking of retrofitting the bolters to a Boxnought missile launcher arm, and bulking it up with plastic card and any other bitz I can find like ammo hoppers, targeters etc. Do you think the hurricane bolter idea would work? Is there too much of a discrepancy between the size of the hammer head and the axe haft? Do you think the whole idea would would work, or am I insane for contemplating the idea? Does anyone have any experience with any of the kits mentioned that could help me with my endeavour?

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

I actually did a really barmy conversion combining the SW Dreadnought and the Furioso Librarian kit to make a daft meme Dread once, you can definitely do a lot with that weapon as a base. The shaft of the weapon is decently chunky and is a good platform for something like a hammer head. I've also used a Nemesis Dreadknight Hammer on an Ironclad Dreadnought to make a literal seismic hammer by just gluing the entire hammer and fist onto the Dreadnought's wrist stump with some pinning, so I can attest the idea is definitely worth looking into. I'll try and get some size comparison pics when I can dig my models out, that might give you a little more of an idea of whether it's something you want to pursue or not.

On the Hurricane bolter point however, this is also an issue I've been trying to solve. I don't have a missile launcher arm to compare, but I think the bolters are considerable wider so you'd have to do a lot of work on cutting it apart and then covering the back and sides up, I'd think.

I spent most of the morning looking for my NDK hammer bit and couldn't find it to compare sizes, but I think it should be just about ok. As for the Hurricane bolters, it looks like you can only fit 4 of them in the space a missile arm would allow. Unfortunately it looks like forgeworld never made a mortis version of it either, but I do know there is a fan made MK4 styled 3d file around, mirroring it for print is one solution. Randomly thinking about it, a venerable dreadnoughts CCW hand could be used too, it would allow for more standard long range weapons to be installed or even dual CCW Axe and Hammer.

I did the Hurricane Bolters in the Launcher thing a few years back. IIRC, I used plasticard as a plate and glued cut down bolt pistols to it, and glued it in place of the missiles. I used pistols because I didn't have the Hurricane parts, but I assume you could just use those too. Edited by Grotsmasha