Best Equivalent to Warpstone Glow in Airbrush format?

Hi Folks,

I've finally had a go at using an airbrush, and I can certainly say I'm wanting to go all in.

My Current Paint scheme for my Sallies goes: Caliban Green > Warpstone Glow > Moot Green

Whilst GW do Air versions of Caliban & Moot, annoyingly not so for Warpstone.

I did experiment with Vallejo Game Colour Sick green but didn't think that they matched very well.

Anyone got any idea of what would match?  Preferably in a thinned version?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Could you not just try thinning it down to an airbrushing consistency?

I initially tried sticking to 'airbrush-ready' paints, but it eventually became a lesson in frustration with how many colours were missing even from Vallejo and capitulated to just thinning the ones I wanted down and it, surprisingly, did not cause my airbrush to explode.

Here's a tutorial, though there's plenty others out there. Just avoid Citadel Thinner and go straight to Vallejo Airbrush Thinner.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Could you not just try thinning it down to an airbrushing consistency?

I initially tried sticking to 'airbrush-ready' paints, but it eventually became a lesson in frustration with how many colours were missing even from Vallejo and capitulated to just thinning the ones I wanted down and it, surprisingly, did not cause my airbrush to explode.

Here's a tutorial, though there's plenty others out there. Just avoid Citadel Thinner and go straight to Vallejo Airbrush Thinner.

Yeah, it worked doing that on my test model, but I was originally having difficulty getting the consistency right, and was hoping there might be a good match I could just throw in and get on with it.  Guess if there isn't a good match, I could mix en masse as I've got some empty dropper bottles somewhere.

Yeah I read about the Citadel thinner and went Vallejo straight away!  Thanks for the tip!

No experience myself, but according to Andy Wardle, Contrast Paints work with an airbrush :

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/14/andy-wardle-on-contrast-paintgw-homepage-post-3fw-homepage-post-2/

Would Warp Lightning Contrast work ?

That sir, is an interesting thought indeed.  I think I'll have a try!  Thanks very much for the suggestion!

I recently found out about the trick to mixing awkward paints for airbrushing nobody tells you about - airbrush mixing palettes. Basically a small metal tray 2" in diameter with a spout, you mix the paint and thinner there with an old brush until it's about skimmed milk consistency (usually in the region of 50/50 paint to thinner) - then just pour it into the airbrush cup, and it's as good as 'airbrush ready' paint. Wipe clean while wet, and it's ready for next time! You normally get a bunch together so you can do multiple colours in a row.

If you need a lot of a given colour, you can mix it up ahead of time the same way and just store it in an empty dropper bottle as you suggest.

I recently found out about the trick to mixing awkward paints for airbrushing nobody tells you about - airbrush mixing palettes. Basically a small metal tray 2" in diameter with a spout, you mix the paint and thinner there with an old brush until it's about skimmed milk consistency (usually in the region of 50/50 paint to thinner) - then just pour it into the airbrush cup, and it's as good as 'airbrush ready' paint. Wipe clean while wet, and it's ready for next time! You normally get a bunch together so you can do multiple colours in a row.

If you need a lot of a given colour, you can mix it up ahead of time the same way and just store it in an empty dropper bottle as you suggest.

That's a weird coincidence!  I'd ordered myself some of these yesterday afternoon!  Thanks for the great tips!

Another vote for decanting it into a bigger pot and pre-thinning it. Vallejo make 35ml empty mixing bottles (VAL2600), which are about £1.

You should be able to pour the majority of the pot into it, then pour some airbrush thinner into the GW pot, give it a shake, and pour that mix into the mixing bottle to get the dregs (may need to be repeated a few times). Then top up with airbrush thinner to get the final desired consistency.