Minoris Convictions

I’m wondering what everyone is thinking about the Minoris convictions in the new codex. What jumps out at you? I’ve seen some people talking about Guided by the Emperor’s Will re-rolls + Raging Fervor or Rites of Fire for shooting lists. What are other combos that look tasty? Anything for melee or a hybrid list? Or is using a major order going to be preferable?

I can't comment for the game, as I don't play, but I do like to peruse Codexes for fluff inspiration. My Minor Order are basically Ordo Heretics attack dogs, a company level force used to hunt down apostates, witches, etc. So I kinda like the Witch Hunter and Slayer of Heretics convictions, to represent an order dedicated to hunting down demagogues

I know a lot of people head scratch at In the Footsteps of Saints, but it gives your minor order a legit "play as" rule without having to wrestle with the logistics of playing as the major order.  Only thing you lose access to is the Order Relic, which I think is a small price for most of the Orders.  100% fluff and won't help you min/max your army, but I like the alternative of building your minor order as a child of a more proper one.

As for picking order traits?  There aren't many standout ones, are there?  The melta one and the flamer one look like they can get some work, and I prefer to pick a second one to augment another portion of the army, and I think the ignore -1 AP one would see enough play during the typical game to make it appealing.

As for your question directly?  If you're REALLY wanting to play a melee optimized Minor Order... you're probably better off going In the Footsteps of Saints and snagging Bloody Rose as your parent.  Losing access to Beneficence isn't a huge problem now, and Bloody Rose is probably going to do more for your melee models than anything in the minor order list.  Hybrid wise, I would probably still stick with some combination of Guided by the Emperor's Will and Raging Fervor or the likes.

The Minor Order traits feel like they didn't want to stray from the major orders too far in design, and thus most of them are shadow-traits of the major orders or some sort of minor augmentation to something the army does prominently (or not so minor when it comes to Raging Fervor).

I'm going the -1 ap one and Raging Fervour, I enjoy meltas, so that works, and ignoring ap1 will matter to alot of small arms fire, won't be as obnoxious as valourous heart under an imagifier in the old codex, but annoying enough

I’ve only played one game with the new codex, and Guided & Raging Fervour we’re very good.

Another combo I want to try is Righteous Suffering (1-2 to wound always fail) and Shield of Aversion (ignore AP-1).

I think this would potentially make Sisters a little more survivable, slightly different play style.

I wonder if Devout Fanaticism (+1 to-hit on charge) + Guided by the Emperor’s Will (re-roll hit or wound) might be more competitive than I originally thought vs Bloody Rose’s melee output.

Vs Marines, 10 charging Blood Rose Repentia only net 1.5 more attacks vs Guided’s +1 to-hit, and the -1 AP is less impactful vs a 3+ save when the Eviscerator is already -3. Likewise for Zephyrim Power Swords. Bloody Rose do a bit more damage but it’s not overwhelming. And versus lightly-armored targets (Guard or, even better, Orks), it’s very common for the extra -1 AP to be wasted. In those cases, +1 to-hit can can wind up yielding more damage than +1 attack.

What you get from Devout + Guided, though, is re-rolls everywhere else in your army for shooting. You’re giving up a bit of Bloody Rose’s combat effectiveness for a re-rolls on all those Mult-Meltas. The question would be whether the added combat prowess from Devout Fanaticism outweighs Argent Shroud’s movement + shooting benefits. (Probably not, but at least there’s an argument to be made for this sort of direction.)

Edited by davextreme

Attacks drive the math behind the entire sequence. 2 attacks hitting on 3s gets you more average hits than 1 on 2s rerolled. It's objectively worse for melee, even before the ap modifier is taken into account; the only time the bonus to hit is better than more attacks is when you're hitting on 5s or 6s.

The devout + guided repentia average 11.74 wounds vs marines compared to the bloody rose 16.8. The zepherym are also better for br

Edited by SkimaskMohawk