Player Stereotypes.

grailkeeper

I saw a post recently where someone said that all the Iron Warriors players he knew were metal heads who wore chains. It reminded me a bit of the old Space Wolf player stereotype that they were old school hairy metallers- like Lemmy in a denim jacket. 

Are there stereotypes for players of other factions? I know a guy with a Slaanesh tattoo- he's a really quiet introvert. 

These days I mostly play Blood Bowl- what does that say about me?

Personally I think though there might be some general trends I think it is difficult to have reliable stereotypes for the different races. I collect Space Marines, Eldar, Orks and Adeptus Mechanicus and if anyone else is like that it might be tricky to pigeonhole people into stereotypes very easily.  

I also play Blood Bowl and I am pretty relaxed regarding how a game goes. That's probably more down to me being less competitive than when I was younger than what Blood Bowl says about me. 

It is an interesting conversation in my opinion though. If your stereotypes are accurate I'd better practice painting chevrons! :teehee:

I saw a post recently where someone said that all the Iron Warriors players he knew were metal heads who wore chains. It reminded me a bit of the old Space Wolf player stereotype that they were old school hairy metallers- like Lemmy in a denim jacket. 

I don't think it's so much that Iron Warriors and Space Wolf players have long hair and like metal...more that people that like metal are probably more likely to get into 40k. 

I don't think it's so much that Iron Warriors and Space Wolf players have long hair and like metal...more that people that like metal are probably more likely to get into 40k. 

Can confirm. I have no love of that particular musical genre, but whenever anyone in the Death Guard FB group asks about musical suggestions for painting, everyone and their blighted mother comes back with some kind of metal.

Yeah this is what I was getting at. Both of them are somewhat socially maligned interests, it's not really a surprise to me that a lot of people would be in to both, especially if they picked them up during school/college.

I mean, the band Bolt Thrower does have the art for the Crimson Fists on their Realm of Chaos album. :D

I mean, the band Bolt Thrower does have the art for the Crimson Fists on their Realm of Chaos album. :biggrin.:

Those being people into metal, who are also into 40k?

i cant think of that much, except that ork players tend to be middle aged men that work in construction.

they always have at least one child, and they play orks as a way to relieve their manliness in a feminine society. xD

some of them like conan the barbarian alot, and tend to think of themselves sort of like barbarians, man of the wild type of guys. xD

for the slaanesh stereotype, i think it may be right. i have a warhammer tattoo, and im shy, introverted coward.

I mean, the band Bolt Thrower does have the art for the Crimson Fists on their Realm of Chaos album. :biggrin.:

Those being people into metal, who are also into 40k?

Never forget the time that there was a Warhammer Records division of Games Workshop!

Never forget the time that there was a Warhammer Records division of Games Workshop!

Oh yeah. Forgot about that (and forgot about that cover art for Saxon's Forever Free)

--sorry for double post. Phone does not like the multi-quote function--

Edited by bushman101

I noticed that a lot of guard players are or have been soldiers. Of course my data pool is far to small for any grounded general assumptions :smile.:

If you want a fun one, check out Warhammer groups in military communities. 

I spent some time at a base where people weren't only predominantly Guard players, but their style of Guard matched their profession. All the armoured guys had tank armies, the paratroopers had valkyries and storm troopers, artillery had, well, lots of artillery, etc. 

Not the most creative bunch at the end of the day, but damned amusing. 

Back in 2012, I came across this article: https://slate.com/human-interest/2012/09/warhammer-40k-why-american-troops-love-to-play-a-game-featuring-orks-necrons-and-space-marines.html

What kind of people stage make-believe wars with armloads of Space Marines? A lot of the time, it’s real Marines. Games Workshop’s U.S.-based outreach manager estimates that 20 to 25 percent of Games Workshop’s American customers are active members of the military. If you include veterans, she says, that number jumps to about 40 percent.

Important update is, as I await Games Workshop's (financial) annual report to drop, is that Warhammer sales are more than 3 times what it was in 2012. I always found this interesting. I spent a lot of time with veterans during my graduate studies and I learned a lot of their time deployed in spent on bases, which is a good time to paint.

+++ We have a weird meta for Ork players +++

Although I never built a demographic profile for Ork players, what you guys said rings true to me. It's just that we clearly have a weird meta.

gallery_57329_13636_1140775.jpg

I'm actually known as much for my Orks as I am for my Mechanicum. This is my Mekpriezt of da Orkdeptus Mekanicuz with his ServitOrk, he'll probably get some play again when the new Ork codex is finally out. We have a weird meta in general, but particularly of Ork players, because this is what our Orks do in da 'oomie workspace:

• Investment banker
  • Product manager for Big Tech
  • Compliance officer (a legal role)
  • High end real estate

It's all dudes for this particular faction, and there may well be this diesel-based testosterone-fueled thing going on with us, because I think we're the type that as soon as we leave the office we pull down our necktie knots, yank it up to our foreheads, then tie them backwards like salarymen Rambos drunk in a karaoke bar.

One of these guys I mentioned probably SINGS karaoke like an Ork. I should go with him sometime and find out.

+++ Most stereotypical thing ever +++

We have a hedge fund manager, real private equity guy. He honestly plays:

• Raven Guard

He even used to use those Sneaky Dakka Centurions before they banned them. That cracked me up.

That said, he's actually an upfront honest, very informative, helpful dude, and one of the top 3 best painters I personally know.

Interesting experiences - I guess there's a part of everyone who enjoys some form of creative output, but also high level strategic thinking. I guess people also gravitate to something with a background that resonates with them? I guess in high school I was pretty studious and the Thousand Sons and Tzeentch in general resonated with me - to the extent of playing solely Tzeentch armies for a long time. I guess a career in science still has that magic/sorcerery vibe, right?

their style of Guard matched their profession

That's cool to see - again, if they have an interest in the military, strategy, etc, then it's likely they'd be interested in a wargame involving those - did you guys play any other strategy games, or was it just wargames?

• Product manager for Big Tech
  • Compliance officer (a legal role)
  • High end real estate

Do they like drivin' real fast with massive Dakka?

Edited by Xenith