Gunslinger Veterans (Hand Flamers)

L30n1d4s

I haven't tried this out yet myself, but I am considering the possibility of a squad of Veterans equipped entirely with dual hand flamers and coming out of a Drop Pod.

With their 12" range in the latest SM codex, they can come in from Deep Strike and hit a target with an average of 70 x S3 hits.

Add in re-rolls to Wound from either a character with the Tome of Ectoclades or the right Kill Team specialization (plus AP-1 from Assault Doctrine) and you average 18 wounds on MEQs, about 35 wounds on Skitarii, 16 wounds on a Drukhari Raider, and 27 wounds against Sisters of Battle units.

If you want to pump it up even more, use the +1 to Wound Litany from a nearby Chaplain... this gives you 18 wounds on a T8 Leman Russ and even puts  an average of 12 unsaved wounds on T8 Mortarion (so, taking him down to just 6 wounds left).

On top of all this, you are getting about 70 hits from Overwatch if anyone charges you, so a great way to deal with things like Wyches, Repentia, Harlequins, Pox Walkers, etc. that are very competitive in the meta right now.

Seems cost prohibitive imho especially running 10 as you suggested that 300 points tied up in them, I feel DW can do better with 300 points, than lots of short range s3.  Honestly I think the combi-flamer set up thats been mentioned a few times is a better option for this, as you get your SIA shots and its s4, averages slightly better vs meq, a bit worse vs geq but would still likely wipe or massively cripple a squad, and 50 points cheaper, and even then I am not really sold on a 10 man combi squad although I think they are better cost to damage ratio.  I could MAYBE see a 5 man squad of either, as thats at least only 150 points for the hand flamers or 125 for the combiflamers, but even then I think i would lean the combis.  Being able to get 2 extra SIA shots and s4 @5ppm cheaper makes up for losing half the number of shots on the flamer part. 

Just don't see you ever getting your points investment back on a 10 man squad of either, the 5 man squad at least I can see them killing enough to possibly get the 125 points for the combi's often enough, the 150.... thats a slightly tougher sell, you need almost optimal targets for it.

Edited by GrinNfool

I’m inclined to agree, 20d6 auto hits looks good but at strength 3 it’s unlikely to make the points investment back and massively reduce the abilities of the unit having such a short range, shot guns would be a more cost effective choice which would bring allot more to the table option wise for less and fulfills some of the same role.

There allot of other gear options and units that can do more and unless this was for a modelling project and the gaming is secondary I would advise against it.

Eh... skip the drop pod. Make it a 10 man squad, take 8 vets and add a couple Terminators for durability. Maybe give one of them a Heavy Flamer.

That squad can teleport anywhere on the board outside of 9 inches from an enemy unit to burn stuff. Could be incredibly frustrating for opponents.

I'm pondering a dual wielding Inferno pistol VV. He will be a chonky Seraphim. Mainly just to have a fun kitbash.

go for it if for fun, personally I find inferno pistols problematic when trying to kill armour needing to be so close but great at shooting characters or big griblies. 

I'm pondering a dual wielding Inferno pistol VV. He will be a chonky Seraphim. Mainly just to have a fun kitbash.

go for it if for fun, personally I find inferno pistols problematic when trying to kill armour needing to be so close but great at shooting characters or big griblies. 

Oh he will most likely be used once to see. I am more interested in the modeling aspect.