Understanding Reanimation and Orbs.

Prot

So I've seen just a couple of different opinions about the reanimation Orb, and a bit about reanimation itself, and the Relic Orb.

First of all, some confusion on the base rule of Reanimation:

- You can take the roll on damage from attacks. 

Let's say you attack something... and your attack triggers a 'rebound effect'. Like your shot bounces off the opponent, and kills your guy with a mortal wound. This would happen in the shooting phase and is triggered by your shooting attack rebounding. 

Do you get a reanimation from such an effect?

- Res Orb:

This seems simple enough but I've seen many people conduct the Reanimation roll, and include models that were previously killed in such a manner that would not let a 'normal' reanimation roll take place. IE: Using the Res Orb to bring a model back that may have previously run away from combat attrition/failed leadership.

- Relic Orb.

Same as above except +1 to the roll. Everyone I've seen in tournament play with higher Warrior count is reanimating the models that failed leader ship/ suffered psychic mortal wounds, etc ,etc.

Is this working as intended? I just want to be sure, because I've seen it questioned during an online tournament, and the answer came back, "yes" you can reanimate these models, but I have no idea if this was just a TO making a call on the spot, or this is indeed correct.

You do not roll for models that fled as a result of morale. (IMO.) Both the res orb and orb of eternity state ‘every destroyed model in that unit begins to reassemble.’

The brb states that ‘those models are removed from ply and count as having been destroyed, but they never trigger any rules that are used when a model is destroyed.’

You couldn’t res models that fled in eighth edition either, IIRC, and I doubt RAI changed.

Of course, if you’re failing a morale test, odds are the unit is mostly destroyed already anyway.

(It’s worth noting that under this RAI you can’t use the technomancer’s resurrection ability or the ghost ark’s repair barge either, as they both trigger off of ‘destroyed models.)

So, for your first part Prot, it only triggers after an enemy shoots or fights, so a “reflected” mortal wound would not trigger an RP roll. A shoot on death or fight on death would however.

However, I disagree with DPL. I believe you can RP models destroyed due to morale. The exact rule is “the model is removed from play and counts as having been destroyed, but it never triggers any rules that are used when a model is destroyed.” The last clause is to prevent using stratagems, abilities like fight on death, or shoot on death like Noise Marines or the SM banner. The key word being used when a model IS destroyed, not used on a model that HAS been destroyed. It’s stopping anything that is triggered when the model is destroyed in that morale phase.

In the case of RP, you cannot make the roll when a model is destroyed by a failed morale test, which is true. However, the Rez Orb is not triggered by the failed morale test, it’s triggered in the command phase when you choose. The Orb rule then specifies “every destroyed model in the unit begins to reassemble.” Units removed count as destroyed.

I don’t see this as rules lawyering or gaming for advantage. It also plays to GWs intent on speeding up play in 9th Ed. Having to remember how many models were removed in prior turns and why is time consuming. Here, you just roll for what’s missing. You’re also not losing large chunks of models to morale anymore.

I’d also add that the 8th edition RP rules specifically called out models lost in the morale phase where 9th does not.