New player first army

BrandX

Saw the discussion in incoming codex about using multiple orders at the same time. Is there any penalty to this? I know I can’t do it yet but would I need to paint my girls in different colors to represent this if I’m using a color pallet of my own choosing?

With a lacking of any discernable entry point into the Adepta Sororitas... it is made a lot harder.

There is no Start Collecting or Combat Patrol or anything that gives that foundation.  The Collector's Edition and Piety and Pain boxes were never marketed as an entry point for a single player, though Piety and Pain does have a bit more to offer newer players... just that dastardly price tag since it is a force for 2 players to engage against each other with.

That only adds to the woes with the Sororitas, and something they should probably fix ASAP, especially as they continue to ride the excitement from all the new releases for the faction and it draws more new players in.

Anyways, on the topic of modeling and all.

Normally, players only care about the primary weapon the model is toting.  Truth be told, 99% of them won't care if you don't have the model's sidearm (usually their bolt pistol) or grenades properly shown... those options are normally universal across the squad and cannot be readily changed.

Things players tend to care about are that primary weapon, and any changes that may have been made to the unit (like swapping the Bolt pistol on the Superior out with a Plasma Pistol).  And that's just so that they have a visual understanding of what the squadron can do, and what it is carrying.  And to be frank and honest, as long as you explain to your opponent before the game begins... NORMALLY they'll be okay with you tinkering around with loadouts in a friendly game.  So say for instance you want to see what a meltagun can do, but you only have the singular flamer gal from the Collector's Edition box... you'd be hard pressed to find someone in a casual game that'll deny you running that flamer as a melta for the game as long as you explain up front what's going on.

And yes, the barrier for entry is obnoxiously high.  Especially coming from any other game that specifically attacks GW by making that entry bar a lot more reasonable.  I do believe that, after playing both Warmachine and 40K, that the upside with 40K is much higher than what I experienced from the PP world.  In gameplay, hobbying, and lore... the problem is just sticking to it and having a community worth a hoot behind you.

That's normally why "Hi, I'm a new player" gets a lot of leniency from vets.  Seriously, you can get away with almost anything under the "new player" privilege... and it is probably because most players understand what that means: shaky on rules, no idea how to kit units, wanting to try new things before dropping hundreds of dollars, lol.  Normally makes for a wonderful experience for newer people to get their feet wet and established.  If you can find an actual Games Workshop store near you, too, they'd definitely be able to show you the ropes and help get you straight on just about anything from armies to hobbying to actually playing.  I don't think I've met a poor store manager for their brand yet, at least when it comes to knowledge of their own product and willingness to help out new players.  I'm pretty certain one of the metrics that affects their performance standards is running demos and classes for new players, so definitely use those guys if you have a store near you.  That'll also help you with learning how to paint and everything.

Saw the discussion in incoming codex about using multiple orders at the same time. Is there any penalty to this? I know I can’t do it yet but would I need to paint my girls in different colors to represent this if I’m using a color pallet of my own choosing?

Multiple orders in the same army is using 2 separate detachments, one for each order, to comprise the whole army.

And that kind of opens up the painting can of worms.

First thing to know is that if you paint your models in the color scheme of a specific order, you'll be expected to use that model according to that order's rules.

If you paint them in your own color scheme... you are free to use any of the major orders, or design a minor one of your own.

Generally... if you really love the look and lore of a specific order and are hell bent on playing it regardless of how good it may or may not be (and "good" is relative to the edition you're playing), then paint them up as that order.  But if you want the flexibility to play them differently in the future... because times change and variety is the spice of life, then paint them in a non-standard scheme.

IF you want to paint your own scheme AND run multiple detachments with different orders... things start getting murky.  Normally, you'll need to visually distinguish models with different rules, as it can get very difficult for your opponent to keep up with the dividing lines in the heat of the moment.  Just causes confusion, which causes frustration, which means people stop enjoying the game!  Well, in extreme circumstances.

Again, the above is the standard practice.  But most players are willing to concede ground so long as you're not fielding big asks out there and are being polite.  If Ultramarines are suddenly bad and Iron Hands are the flavor of the month, most people will allow you to use your Ultramarines as Iron Hands for a friendly/casual game... though if you're doing it just to abuse rules... it builds up some negative will from the community.  But I don't know many people who would get upset if you said: "Hey, I want to try out Our Martyred Lady, but my models are painted Sacred Rose, do you mind if I use OML's rules this game?"  But, as a general rule, the standards are: play the rules you painted and if you have multiple factions  in the same list they need to be visually distinct.

Haha yup, 40k has always been study sessions. 2nd ed was the worst. Got easier thru other editions but now requires more studing but the game play is fun which is the bottom line.

I was the first one to the store today and even beat the owner. But I have my sisters and I am ready to start building them and getting ready for my first game tomorrow. Any recommendations on things to listen to?

I was the first one to the store today and even beat the owner. But I have my sisters and I am ready to start building them and getting ready for my first game tomorrow. Any recommendations on things to listen to?

Tabletop Titans have some good YouTube battle reports with the new sisters. There videos are very long but they show everything and they do a lot of commentary about units and game play as they do the reports. It's good to watch if you're not familiar with 40K game play.

There is a 40K Lore (Lorehammer?) podcast on Spotify that would help with the background and lore of 40K.