Favorite Units in 9e

Valerian

Folks,

After about a year or so of experience, what are your favorite units for the edition?  Have any of those new Primaris units that came with the release of 9e lived up to the hype?  Heavy Intercessors any good?

I've been away for a long time, and just curious on how it has all worked out for The Fang.

Valerian

Personally my favorites so far have been Ragnar, Primaris Iron priest, and Redemptor Dreadnoughts.

Bladeguard vets, and eradicators are great too but we actually have a really wide selection of units that that good. I don't run first born any more but wolf guard termies/jump infantry with lightning claw & stormshields are doing work.

Bladeguard Vets, Redemptor Dreads and Heavy Intercessors have been doing real work for me this edition. Eradicators with Heavy Melta rifles, MM and Keen Senses will slag just about anything.

Bladeguard Vets, Redemptor Dreads and Heavy Intercessors have been doing real work for me this edition. Eradicators with Heavy Melta rifles, MM and Keen Senses will slag just about anything.

How many of each of those units are you using, typically?

I can't speak for Karhedron, but I run one squad of vanilla eradicators, and 1 squad with heavy rifles & a Multi-Melta. I like it because I can only use keen senses on one squad, and to be brutally honest I'm not willing to spend the money to get another MM for my Indomitus squad.

I run Blade Guard Vets in pairs. Typically I have them in impulsors.

Redemptors I typically run 2-3, if I'm running my tech marine. 

I will add Primaris Wolf Priest on Bike, canticle of hate for +2 to charge is just key for us.  

The recent rule changes gave a massive buff to lord of deceit.

You now redeploy after knowing who won the roll for first turn.

I am preparing a new saga to leverage incursors and infiltrators because of it.

Just need to wrap up my redemptor experiments first.

I run all Primaris, so can't speak to Firstborn options (JP/LC WG seem very competitive, and I do run an old school JP chaplain), but I my core units are:
1) a big fan of two Redemptors with Iron Priest and a Librarian
2) usually a chaplain (either JP or Primaris on bike)
3) Bladeguard (sometimes one 5-man, other times two 3-man)
4) Eradicators
5) Incursors (usually 2-3 units)
6) one full unit of Intercessors who I put in reserves (can be combat squaded or brought on as a big unit to maximize shoot twice strat)

How many of each of those units are you using, typically?

Bladeguard I run 5 in a squad. They can pack a punch, even after taking a few casualties and they are just below the threshold for Blast. Riding in an Impulsor with a Character is my normal approach.

Eradicators I run as a 3-man squad but I normally pair them with a squad of MM Long Fangs in a pod to provide some redundancy for anti-tank firepower.

Heavy Intercessors seem good just as a 5-man squad. I normally run the Assault 3 variant of the gun and drive them towards the midfield.

I only have 1 Redemptor but I am building some other SW Dreads to pair with him.

I'm liking Eradicators and redemptors as well. Been playing smaller games so just 1 of each but an out flanking Eradicator Squad has been awesome. And the Redemptor is such a major contributor to damage output, especially in combat.

I've also been liking my TCav with lightning claws and ss. They dish alot of wounds.

For those of you running Redemptors, what is your preferred load out?

Having now tried both i think I'm leaning full dakka, so Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Storm Bolters, Icarus. His anti tank capability seems to stand out in melee. The Plasma was good but very swingy with the d6 shots in the 3 games I used it in so far. Also I have found the wisdom of the ancients strat well worth its 1 CP. Choosing wounds or hits based on targets, though wounds has been a but more reliable with tge data loadout.

I should note that I have been playing 1000 point games so far, so not sure how it scales.

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb

Also noticed nobody has mentioned Assault Intercessors - are they getting any play, or are the standard Grey Hunter-style Intercessors winning out?

Also noticed nobody has mentioned Assault Intercessors - are they getting any play, or are the standard Grey Hunter-style Intercessors winning out?

Assault intercessors see more play in other chapters like WS.

Getting them to the fight is the main problem.

They have the fight twice trick but thats about it.

We have BCs who cost less and put out similar attacks on the charge.

A SW can easily build around assault intercessors but I haven't really seen it.

I experimented with both types of redemptors. Catechism of fire was a must have to transform all the dakka into a threat to vehicles.

The gatling version works but I eventually went 100% plasma. D6 random shots is the only negative.

S9 AP4 is ideal in the current meta for defense tricks like a custodes telemon shadow keeper. Without the right tools you won't put a dent in that unit. T8 2+/4++ duty eternal and strats to reduce incoming attacks by 1 S (stops melta basically)

I'm running plasma redemptors in the Bjorn saga if you want to see how they perform.

I intentionally spam S9 shooting so I can win the knights and custodes fights easily.

Knights hate obscuring terrain. I get free shots and am immune to return fire.

Edited by TiguriusX

I experimented with both types of redemptors. Catechism of fire was a must have to transform all the dakka into a threat to vehicles.

The gatling version works but I eventually went 100% plasma. D6 random shots is the only negative.

Funny, I just started experimenting with gatling cannons after running 100% plasma's, and I like it a lot! I was never rolling good on the D6, and the gatlingcanon works great against raiders and terminators wich I encounter a lot.

I do agree that Redemptors are great in 9th. I basically like all the special Space Wolve dreads aswell.

Wolfguard with Jumppacks, SS and Lightningclaws are also rockin.

(lightningclaws in general)

And I seem to be the only one, but I still like my Twc. I guess because I like all units that are hard to shift off objectives.

p.s. Nice you'r back brother

Edited by yan

Jump Pack Wolf Guard with TH/SS loadout and the Whirlwind of Rage/Born Heroes Trait, plus a Chapter Ancient nearby for +1 to hit in melee and a CM for full rerolls to Hit, are really powerful.

Use either a Strat or Psychic power to get them into Assault Doctrine, then charge in with 30 × S8 AP-3 Dmg3 attacks.

With the exploding 6s yielding two extra hits each and full rerolls to hit, they should average around 45+ hits... add in +1to wound from the SW unique Strat and they should jackhammer through just about anything they touch.

You can even give the Pack Leader master-crafted on his TH, giving you Dmg4 on several attacks for even more destructive potential.

Edited by L30n1d4s

Add me to the TWC pack. Pack of five,, Lc/ss & leader with dual frost claws. In my experiences they have chewed through chaff & elite alike. They even almost one-shot a Bonebreaker (1 wound remaining). Not to mention the wolves themselves put in work.

I know the Thane relic has competition, but the pack leader is such a blender. The imagery is also quite satisfying.

I've very much enjoyed going all in on them and adding a th/ss Battleleader and Wolf Lord. WL kitted with Balewolfs pelt, Bear, and Imperium's Sword.

I don't have issues with Cavalry's restrictions in my meta and that furry deathball has become deservedly feared amongst my opponents.

Edited by Axilleas

I run a squad of them, and I think they're pretty solid. I think in general they aren't as popular because they don't have a good delivery option. A point drop for Impulsors would do a lot to get these guys on the table.

I think TWC are really dependant on the terrain.

I.e. I can't see them performing at all in the new GW tournament setup from the latest Metawatch

^agree. TWC are too big, lack infantry keyword, and too many points vs comparable alternatives that are just better IMO.

WRT Assault Intercessors, I really want them to work as a mainline unit (and they haven’t been, haha), but I do think a min-sized unit is a great backfield objective holder. I usually pair them with a cyber wolf or something like that. Keeps me from being tempted to charge them off the objective if I don’t give them a melee weapon, but they’re still effective at holding the objective against anything that isn’t a major bully unit.

Edited by VIth

Assault intercessors are awesome and effective for the points which is a big deal now that geedub jacked up all the points cost for SM units in general.

How are you using them that you find them awesome?

Assault Intercessors are the cheapest Primaris unit which gives them access to THP and also fight twice stratagem but the problem is delivery. They have no Jump Packs and Primaris Transports are expensive. If I bought and Impulsor, I would want to put something more valuable like Bladeguard in it.

If you use them as a cheap backfield Objective holder, Tactical Marines are just as durable, 1ppm cheaper and can take a heavy weapon to contribute a bit of ranged firepower. Assault Intercessors will hit harder if an enemy unit charges them unless you are paying CPs to interrupt the fight sequence, the enemy will be striking first so the Assault Intercessor's superior combat ability may not count for much if some are killed before they can strike.

Maybe I am missing a trick but Assault Intercessors look like a hard unit to get value from. It is nice from a fluff POV to have a melee Troop unit which suits Blood Angels, Space Wolves and White Scars but they don't look that great to me.

Maybe I am missing a trick but Assault Intercessors look like a hard unit to get value from. It is nice from a fluff POV to have a melee Troop unit which suits Blood Angels, Space Wolves and White Scars but they don't look that great to me.

Only trick worth doing is fight twice. Can sling shot around the map with it.

Even if there are no enemies nearby you get pile in and consolidate moves.

Basically paying 2 CP to move an obsec unit 6+ inches out of phase...good to steal an objective

. I use them everygame with my wolf successors. Ungodly number of attacks. Hit on 2s when they charge and with whirlwind of rage if I put them in assault doctrine they get double exploding 6s. They do serious work for a cheap unit. Bare bones they are 95 points with access to transhuman which blood claws don’t have. I usually have way bigger threats that opponents tend to ignore them turn 1 and two. If the chance arises they are the only unit that can fight twice. Which if you already used other starts on them this fight phase they are still in effect. I love them. Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84