These would augment the units I’ve already got on-hand:

Ragnar

Primaris WGBL

Aggressors

Wulfen

4x Intercessor Packs

2x Eliminator Packs

3x Impulsors

I have found Assault Intercessors pretty good for my Imperial fists without having access to all of the Space Wolves goodness. I run a unit in an impulsor with power fist on sergeant.

I can usually move and pile out onto an objective straight away. They are obsec and primaris so not super easy to shift. They have performed in a fairly respectable way in combat, and would of done a lot of work I imagine hitting in 2+ with exploding 6s.

Not sure I would take them without the impulsor though and definitely would avoid camping backfield with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I never feel like I play enough to be a reliable source BUT

I'm firmly in the cavalry camp. 3-5 with shields and claws, thunderlord, and primaris bike-priest. Advance, +2charge and rerolls for those possible 1st turn charges. It's a deadly, low finesse blob, but it wrecks even with a few casualties.

Troops are mixed. Infiltrators, incursors, basic intercessors. Each unit with a ven. or wulfen dread buddy. I often combat squad and push right up mid. I like the Phobos pressing objectives while the enemy maneuvers against the cav blob.

Edited by theprophetofwar

My planned 18K list: (IC's, AIC's, HIC's, Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, Heavy Intercessors)

6 GH's packs, 10 each, 2 PG, 1 PF, GHPL, WGPL SS, ACSwd, 8 GH's w/ ACSwd's & BG's, in Rhinos

4 BC packs, 15 each, BCPL w/ PF, BP, WGPL, SS, ACSwd, 13 BC's, BP, ACSwd, in LRC's; 4 WP's, one each BC pack

5 x 6 IC's, TH Sgt, 6 ABR's, Impulsor

7 Repulsors, 3 IC''s x 10, 10 BR's, TH x 3 Sgt's, 2 Ast IC's. 10 AIC's, 10 HBP & ACSwd, 2 x 5 HIC's, 5 ABR equiv, 5 BR equiv

Fire Raptor, Quad HB x 2, twin LC, twin Avenger BC

9 Gladiator Lancers

1 Bladeguard Vet's, 3, Ragnar, BG Ancient, P-WP, Impulsor

2 x 10 TH/SS WG TDA, one with Logan, Arjac, Ulric, one with Njal & P-RP, both in Spartans

Fellblade, all guns, no pintle, HB hull

Stormhawk, anti air

2 Stormwolves, twin HB x 2, twin LC, Helfrost turret, 8 Wulfen in each, normal claws

Storm Eagle, MM nose, twin LC, VL, 10 Wulfen, normal claws

I'm going to have to learn the three types of IC's, still, as a varied and closing force, it's wave 1, fliers, wave 2, 6 Impulsors, wave 3 6 GH Rhinos, wave 4 4 LRC's & two Spartans.

Edit: Forgot the two 15 Skyclaws packs with a JP WP each

Edited by Karack Blackstone

My planned 18K list: (IC's, AIC's, HIC's, Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, Heavy Intercessors)

6 GH's packs, 10 each, 2 PG, 1 PF, GHPL, WGPL SS, ACSwd, 8 GH's w/ ACSwd's & BG's, in Rhinos

4 BC packs, 15 each, BCPL w/ PF, BP, WGPL, SS, ACSwd, 13 BC's, BP, ACSwd, in LRC's; 4 WP's, one each BC pack

7 Repulsors, 3 IC''s x 10, 10 BR's, TH x 3 Sgt's, 2 Ast IC's. 10 AIC's, 10 HBP & ACSwd, 2 x 5 HIC's, 5 ABR equiv, 5 BR equiv

9 Gladiator Lancers

2 x 10 TH/SS WG TDA, one with Logan, Arjac, Ulric, one with Njal & P-RP, both in Spartans

Stormhawk, anti air

2 Stormwolves, twin HB x 2, twin LC, Helfrost turret, 8 Wulfen in each, normal claws

I'm going to have to learn the three types of IC's, still, as a varied and closing force, it's wave 1, fliers, wave 2, 6 Impulsors, wave 3 6 GH Rhinos, wave 4 4 LRC's & two Spartans.

Hold up....

18k LIST?! :jawdrop:

Also, as someone who hasn't played consistently since 6th edition, does anyone else feel overwhelmed when trying to list build? Like, there's so so so many options now and varieties with the units themselves, it's just hard to keep up with when list building. Even when I watch batreps, there's a few consistencies but still a big swing in variety, which is good I suppose, it means we have a lot of angles to attack from. 

Also, as someone who hasn't played consistently since 6th edition, does anyone else feel overwhelmed when trying to list build? Like, there's so so so many options now and varieties with the units themselves, it's just hard to keep up with when list building. Even when I watch batreps, there's a few consistencies but still a big swing in variety, which is good I suppose, it means we have a lot of angles to attack from.

It is overwhelming initially but once you get over the culture shock, it is actually really refreshing. Being able to build so many army styles from a single list means that an army has so much more variety to it while remaining true to the core concepts. You can build a Wolf Guard heavy Elite force with Terminators teleporting onto key Objectives, Jump Pack WG harrying the enemy flanks and Bladeguard veterans holding the line. You can build a Dreadmob with Bjorn and friends accompanied by an Iron Priest to keep the old codgers ticking along. You can running a cunning Wolf list with lots of Phobos units putting early pressure on the enemy. Or you can run a traditional balanced list with a sprinkling of signature units like Wulfen or Thunderwolves.

If you get bored of playing a particular style, you can easily add a handful of new units and it plays like a completely different army. Variety may take a while to get your head around but after a while, it becomes great fun.

@Kassill - If I were in your shoes I would start by categorizing units into groups based on their roles. Some examples would be obsec (troops), Brawlers (things that can take an objective and hold it), etc. Then when your evaluating your army you can key in on the category instead of going through the entire codex. That said if you still have your army from sixth most of it is still useful so you have a good starting point.   

I would say that so far in 9th Multi-Meltas are really strong, Dreads are by far the best vehicles for marines (avoid tanks), and Storm shields/lightning claws are a strong loadout for CC. 

Assault intercessors are awesome and effective for the points which is a big deal now that geedub jacked up all the points cost for SM units in general.

How are you using them that you find them awesome?

If you master craft the sergeant’s thunder hammer he becomes a true character assassin. A squad of five is cheap and they are easy to hide plus they are effective in melee. I have enough shooting elsewhere I don’t need another bolter squad.

9 Gladiator Lancers

Stormhawk, anti air

Hold up....

18k LIST?! :jawdrop:

Better and cheaper than my previous 30K points list... :wink:  :teehee:

Edit: Oh, add two 15 man SkyClaw packs with a JP WP each

Edited by Karack Blackstone

How are people finding the various BR and ABR Intercessor packs?

I'm using mixed 6 man and 10 man packs, the 6 men are all ABR's, are they decent on the deploy and charge?

Are BR IC's good at being oversized GH's? How exactly do they play? I'm using GH's all the time, is the lack of a CSwd that detrimental? Is it noticeable?

I'm a fan of ABR intercessors. The volume of fire is nice, and I like being able to fire with them even if I advance. I tend to run some squads with no upgrades and some with thunder hammers mainly because I tend to play against death guard a lot.

I don't think the bolt rifle intercessors are bad though, and a bigger squad shooting twice during the tactical doctrine can clear out a lot of chaff. 

I think it really depends on your play style. If you plan on being really aggressive the ABR intercessors are the way to go. If your planning on controlling the middle of the board the Bolt Rifles can do a lot of work. 

How are people finding the various BR and ABR Intercessor packs?

I'm using mixed 6 man and 10 man packs, the 6 men are all ABR's, are they decent on the deploy and charge?

Are BR IC's good at being oversized GH's? How exactly do they play? I'm using GH's all the time, is the lack of a CSwd that detrimental? Is it noticeable?

You play large points games so they may work for you. In my 2k games most marines spend points elsewhere.

A 10 man ABR using the stratagem to double fire is 60 shots

You can buff with a chaplain for recitation of focus to get BS2 or my favorite catechism of fire to get +1 wound

It shreds hordes and can even push wounds through on dreads (wounds on 4 v redemptors and contemptors with AP1. Math hammer says 40/60 shots hit BS3 and 20 wound with 4+ (catechism of fire).

10 or so damage when done firing at a T7 3+ save unit

Works best if you outflank and arrive turn 2 with tactical doctrine bonus

It is an alpha strike unit that has OBSEC to run around if it lives

I tend to favour ABR squads with a Grenade Launcher and Power Fist on the pack leader (Thunder Hammer is nice if you can afford the points). They can Advance and Fire and also shred hordes the best. Against tougher units, the 3 shots means they can hold their own against the BR and SBR variants (especially in Tactical Doctrine) simply by throwing more dice at the target. I normally run at least one squad of these guys and they are reliable for their points.

med_gallery_82363_15236_435245.jpg

med_gallery_82363_15236_638494.jpg

Intercessors and Grey Hunters compare pretty well against each other. Intercessors have slightly better basic firepower but Hunters can check in a special weapon and combi weapon to balance the scales. The extra point of AP on the Chainswords makes them slightly better in melee and they can take more melee weapons in a pack. This is balanced by the extra attack on the IPL and extra point of leadership.

I have played both units and it really is almost a dead heat to me. If you want chaff clearance, ABR Intercessors have an edge. If you want special weapons on your Troops to tackle tougher threats, Grey Hunters are a bit better. Otherwise they are so close in capability that I doubt you will notice the difference very often.

The one significant difference is Hunters can advantage of cheap firstborn tranports like Rhino, Razorback and Drop Pod. If you are looking at a Mechanised list, Hunters are definitely the way to go. For other situations, take whichever you like best.

I have just discovered the power of putting Savage Strike (+1 to Wound in melee) on Bladeguard Veterans. :ohmy.: I can't believe it took me this long to try out out. Hitting like Space Wolves and then Wounding like Blood Angels is incredibly powerful. A 5 man squad wiped out a 5 man TH/SS Terminator squad on the charge yesterday. It also gives them a fighting chance against vehicles if necessary.

I have just discovered the power of putting Savage Strike (+1 to Wound in melee) on Bladeguard Veterans. :ohmy.: I can't believe it took me this long to try out out. Hitting like Space Wolves and then Wounding like Blood Angels is incredibly powerful. A 5 man squad wiped out a 5 man TH/SS Terminator squad on the charge yesterday. It also gives them a fighting chance against vehicles if necessary.

Don't forget gene wrought strength when fighting vehicles too

One of the goonhammer SW successor games I observed saw 5 BGV kill a knight in melee

Combination of gene wrought + double exploding 6s + savage strike (wound T8 knights on 4s)

AP4 meant no armor save and 2 damage a pop

Super dead knight

Edited by TiguriusX

Good idea about GWM. I wonder how they compare for efficiency.

Let's imagine a 3-man squad getting 12 attacks in the first round of combat (I am ignoring the extra attack on the Serg to keep the maths simple). Against a T7/8 target, they will score the following with no stratagems.

12 Attacks, 10 hits, 3.33 wounding (before saves)

With GWM

12 Attacks, 10 hits (2 auto wounding). 2.67 wounding from the remaining hits giving 4.67 in total.

With Savage Strike

12 Attacks, 10 hits, 5 wounding.

So in a vacuum, SS is slightly better than GWM. Of course, you can stack them for 6 wounding hits which will be 12 wounds against most targets. Enough to kill most medium vehicles or Monsters (apart from dreads).

• 4 weeks later...

Yet to try myself - but Veteran Intercessors almost feel like they might have a place in SW.

On the charge they have an absurd number of attacks: 5 each!

The lack of obj sec isn't that bad considering it can be applied quite easily using the SM Codex.

Outflanking them is pretty nice too, and sorts out the movement issues. In Assault doctrine they'll get a silly number of attacks. Sergeant get's 5 attacks with a Frost weapon too, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Unlike first-born Wolfguard (and they are wolfguard! ...Despite it having no real interactions :wacko.: ), they get access to Transhuman & Gene-wrought might too. This further bumps extra efficiency out of 6s to hit and gives them some extra protection where they don't have access to things like Stormshields.

I wish they could get a few extra cool CC weapons in there, but Chainswords are decent anyway.

Alternatively, you could go for Orky levels of dice and run these with Auto bolt rifles, giving up one CC attack and pip of AP for extra shots in the shooting phase. YMMV.

Edited by Charlo