2k ultras list

Kobrakei

Thinking of running this for competitive play. Lots of shooting, warsuits/infiltrators for board control and can redeploy, and solid units that can switch on obsec if needed. Twiggy with null zone/psychic fortress/might of heroes as per.

I've also got a version that swaps out a bladeguard unit for a third redemptor, and changes the infiltrators to incursors for this.

**Chapter Selector**: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]

Primaris Chapter Master [7 PL, 145pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Rites of War, Seal of Oath, Warlord

. Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield: Master-crafted power sword, Relic Shield

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Adept of the Codex, Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [8 PL, 160pts]: Twin ironhail autocannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

. Eradicator Sgt

That's a fairly solid list, focusing on objectives and marching up the table. My personal preferences lean towards some units with speed particularly with assault units, whilst maintaining some heavy weapons for range, but really I think you'll do fine as the army doesn't have to play like that.

Just remember the Bladeguard are slow marching up the table and getting the most out of them might be relegated to them being tough on objectives, which is a littler inefficient.

But as I said, it's a solid list that plays centrally and will win games.

:)

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this rather than opening a new topic. Had my first game with a similar list swapping out a bladeguard unit for another Redemptor. I lost, but I think having one combat unit is going to lead to it getting shot off the board. Also the list is quite slow, and I was playing against the new Grey Knights so it was hard to compete with objectives etc.

I've had a play, sacked off all the bladeguard and the shield on the Chapter Master and put in two units of Suppressors. I really like them, small units that can contest and still throw some firepower out when needed.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [101 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura)

Primaris Chapter Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Rites of War, Seal of Oath, Warlord

. Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Adept of the Codex, Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

. Suppressor Sergeant

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

. Suppressor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator Sgt

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [101 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

Given the FAQ nerf to our superdoctrine, I'm very tempted to say that you get more out of Assault Marines than you do Suppressors. 

4 more wounds, -1AP in melee and the Melta Bomb Keyword along with a combat shield on the sergeant for +1 to your armor saves (assuming you choose him for the first wounds). 

They're a solid small footprint unit for DS onto objectives or behind enemy lines for Engage/RoT.

You also have one open Elite slot, where some Rievers might be interesting.  They've got a little less punch, but the innate ability to Deep Strike and access to Transhuman makes them potentially extremely useful when used with Phobos redeployment stratagem.

Autocannon equivalent is counter to raider based drukari, but also hard-countered by new Orks parking lot.

Yes I consider that a good investment in your list. Though Ork Buggies drop the damage down, it'll still damage them at range which is good.

Your list should do well against Drukhari and Adeptus Mechanicus, likely Orks. Necrons won't enjoy it either.

Other Marines might be interesting match ups, as would Guard armies with lots of Leman Russ tanks. Have you got any experience against either to let us know how it performs?

I've played against the new Grey Knights with a similar list, except I had a bladeguard unit rather than the two Suppressor units. I did lose but I killed a lot of Grey Knights, including a GM in Dreadknight. It's good at pumping out damage for sure, but it's a slow list if you get second turn having to pull back the Invictors, which is why I considered the Suppressors as quick, deep striking units. I prefer sticking to Primaris for aesthetic reasons though, so no vanvets or assault marines for me.

Yes I appreciate that a lot. The size difference between the 2 types can be jarring.

That seems like a reasonable result for first big test against new Grey Knights. Killing plenty means you're competitive which is the core of the game really. And if you can kill Grey Knights you can kill Marines generally.

I think the Suppressors provide important fire support in the army so it's a good call.

Eradicators must be putting the work in for you generally I presume, since Melta rocks, but how are you finding their best method of deployment? As in, do you find outflanking a unit a necessity?

They didn't really get to engage that much due to some poor deployment, but with the list starting on 11 cp and being able to grab those back quite easily, especially if rapid redeployment isn't used I think it's essential to put them into strat reserve - I did think a larger squad of five might be a choice, but having two smaller units presents more choices for my opponent to make. I think a lot of this list is learning what to use and when, but I'm giving some serious thought to taking this to the Coventry GT rather than my Death Guard.

A similar list got #2 in 50 players GT last weekend (lost to Ork buggies swarm, unsurprisingly).

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [101 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Custom Chapter, Master Artisans, Ultramarines Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle [6 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: Adept of the Codex, Rites of War, Stratagem: Exemplar of the Chapter, Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Seal of Oath, Storm of Fire, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 175pts]: Cyclone missile launcher, 2x Twin volkite culverin

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 175pts]: Cyclone missile launcher, 2x Twin volkite culverin

+ Fast Attack +

. Suppressor Sergeant

. Suppressor Sergeant

. Suppressor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

. Eliminator Sergeant: Instigator Bolt Carbine

. 2x Eliminators: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Camo cloak, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

++ Total: [101 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Had another fiddle with the list and gone down a slightly different route - this should allow for some fun redeployment shenanigans as well as board control, and preventing deep striking within 12" - having the three Redemptors as the most expensive models means I can also push for To The Last.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [98 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 2. Lord of Deceit, 5) Tenebrous Curse, 6) Temporal Corridor, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Primaris Chapter Master [7 PL, 135pts]: Adept of the Codex, Chapter Command: Chapter Master, Master-crafted power sword, Soldier's Blade, Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Rites of War, Seal of Oath, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]:
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet
. Infiltrator Sergeant

. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt Rifle

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

. Suppressor Sergeant

. Suppressor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator Sgt

Edited by Kobrakei

Your 'Seal of Oath' should always be on the Captain so that you can use Inspired Command to bump the aura out to 9". It's VERY helpful when you need to spread out to handle board control.

If you're running Ultramarines why would you not use Tigurius over the Phobos Librarian?  You badly need Psychic Fortress to keep the Dreads alive if you're serious about taking 'to the last'.  

Your 'Seal of Oath' should always be on the Captain so that you can use Inspired Command to bump the aura out to 9". It's VERY helpful when you need to spread out to handle board control.

If you're running Ultramarines why would you not use Tigurius over the Phobos Librarian? You badly need Psychic Fortress to keep the Dreads alive if you're serious about taking 'to the last'.

So my thoughts were that the techmarine will be in the middle of the dreads as a bunch so keeping seal of oath there would help to ensure they could keep the pressure on. Everything else outside of the Suppressors isnt guaranteed to be in the aura due to deployment - this leads onto the Librarian, he's there to help move more units after deployment. I'd aggressively deploy the three Phobos troops units, then can either shove up the invictors/librarian with Rapid Redployment if I get first turn, or pull back the troops with Lord of Deceit. Perhaps there's potential to change the Captain to a Phobos one and use Exemplar, but that then starts to really cut into CP. Edited by Kobrakei

A small question regarding your relic selection. Why did you pick Soldier's Blade over Burning Blade or Helm of Censure?

Absolutley a holdover from building lists, I'd probably pick the Burning Blade or even the Vox to help with the auras as above.

So after thinking about it I can do the deployment hilarity with just Rapid Redeployment anyway, so had a bit of a swap and now...

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [101 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts] ++

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura)

Primaris Chapter Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Adept of the Codex, Chapter Command: Chapter Master, The Sanctic Halo, Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Rites of War, Seal of Oath, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. Incursor Sergeant

. Infiltrator Sergeant

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

. Suppressor Sergeant

. Suppressor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [101 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts]

Edited by Kobrakei

This is almost identical to my more competitive list. It's a bit click and repeat, and gets a bit boring, but as long as you don't get too cocky with the Warsuits, it can do extremely well in the secondaries/denial game. 

I only use 2 redemptors myself, and I love macroplasma on one for sure, but I flip flop. Still love flamers on my Warsuits, but that might just be an old hold over. 

It's hard not to use Tiggy, he's just such a good utility piece, but with GK/TS secondaries it is tempting for me to pull him out of my build sometimes. It's just hard to replace even in that match up. So aside from that extra redemptor, and a 4th troop, my list is very similar. Again though I do get a little bored of it after a while.

This is almost identical to my more competitive list. It's a bit click and repeat, and gets a bit boring, but as long as you don't get too cocky with the Warsuits, it can do extremely well in the secondaries/denial game.

I only use 2 redemptors myself, and I love macroplasma on one for sure, but I flip flop. Still love flamers on my Warsuits, but that might just be an old hold over.

It's hard not to use Tiggy, he's just such a good utility piece, but with GK/TS secondaries it is tempting for me to pull him out of my build sometimes. It's just hard to replace even in that match up. So aside from that extra redemptor, and a 4th troop, my list is very similar. Again though I do get a little bored of it after a while.

I'd be tempted to drop the captain and take a master of sanctity with the ignore mortal wounds litany - I really rate the amount of pain GK/TS can pump out.

Yup, that's a good play if they're hot in your meta. I've considered it myself. 

The problem in my case is I like the Primaris Techmarine, Tiggy, and insert a special character here (usually Calgar, but strangely enough I've been having a lot of fun with Ventris lately!)

I never have that 3rd slot open. With my White Scars it is a no-brainer. A Chappy has to be there. But mortal wounds really hurt. So I can either block with pods/rhino's or get that chappy running. I just really stuggle to replace my primary 3 HQ's.

Tiggy is powerful, but with GK and TS returning to the meta, "having exact 1 psyker" in your list, is usually going to be weaker than "having 0 psyker" in your list. No matter how strong that psyker is.

That was my thinking as well, pumping for Abhor seems like a no-brainer.

Played against GK again last night using the above list, and it was not good - my opponent and I discussed it after and it was based on poor deployment, as i left my dreads at the front of my deployment zone in the open, and he had two pre-game moves with a GMDK and normal DK, and then grabbed first turn. Destroyed a Redemptor with shooting, which proceeded to explode, and then charged a second one and killed that as well. Some further poor deployment left my Invictors out of action for a turn, and then he brought down four strike squads and a Brother Captain in turn two. I did kill most of these, but just couldn't swing the momentum my way. 

It also didn't help that my dice were poor at best, and I didn't get a single Adept roll at all(!). However I do need to think about my deployment, and also work on picking the right Secondaries (chose engage, no prisoners and raise banners - once I had second turn I pulled back all of my Phobos units, making these really hard to score as he had far better board control). I'll have another tinker with the list - the right stuff is in there, so just experience with it is needed now. I've got mixed Ravenwing/Deathwing next week at my club, so will be interested to see how that plays out.

You have to be realistic though... how often are you going to run into the GK/TS opponents in a tournament? It will probably be even less likely in a month or two. Plus the way GW works is they give you something, then release a magic bullet for it. Wait for Templars to come out and become nearly as efficient as SoB at shutting down those two armies. I would honestly just build the list that's going to make it work for you. 

I've put Tiggy back in my lists and I play my TS a lot lately. You just make sure in T1 they have a VERY difficult time with psychic wounding you, then assume that they will get 12 pts. The way I look at it is Psychic Fortress is still fantastic, and Tiggy (with proper range planning) is sure to get most of his stuff off, all while making sure you get -1 to hit on something. 

Any other solo psyker I'd agree, but Tiggy is just that good in any other match up. (I did pull my psyker from my White Scars for this reason, but he's no Tiggy).