Lost on Army Selection

INKS

I've now bought into two armies, neither of which I now want to paint or build. And to be honest, I don't even know how they play really, so I might not even like how they play. I still haven't gotten a game of 9th ed in yet. (thanks lock down)

My problems - I don't know the solution

1: I have learned I don't really like to build models much. I have built 1KSons and Nids now.

Nids - The Lictor was fine but Termagaunts - which are easy just stink. I don't like their arms, the heads. Just annoying.

1kSons - I did not enjoy building the rubric marines. The legs were a pain. (2 pieces) and really I shouldn't be assembling them because of painting the small nooks and crannies.

So building. I guess I am looking for few parts? Larger models? Models I can build that are easier to paint so I don't have to do it in a 100 steps (I am exaggerating).

2: Painting. I am not a good painter. My hands aren't super steady, brush control stinks, and my eyes aren't great. I want the models to look good but just can't seem to get there.

Again, I haven't painted 1kSons but the details are probably too much for me, which is a shame because they look amazing.

I have a feeling that I might do better with armies or an army that needs minimal detail work? Example: Necrons. Mostly just paint the mini metal. black guns, colored plates on their back? 

My problem is that I don't like how necrons are currently played. I don't know how the models build (some of them look annoying to build). 

I was interested in Custodes for a while. But most of the models needed are from forgeworld. cost aside, I don't like working with resin, and getting those models is currently a pain and probably will be for some time.

I considered Tau, I love drones, (most players hate drones). they are easy to build, easy to paint. But I don't like crisis suits... and I could avoid them but that seems silly. While drones are easy to paint, the rest of the range isn't as easy?

Imperial Knights - Maybe? No idea on how annoying they are to build, but at least they are big? play seems ok. But right now you are relying on forgeworld, so... big minus. Might be ok to paint? again they are big.

Imperial Guard - Tank army could be good? Building might be annoying? And the troops are 100% annoying to build and paint. so probably not a good choice.

Marines / Sisters of Battle - Too many details, too annoying to build. 

Orks - Just not into them. Never have been sadly.

Elves - Too many details, many models annoying to build.

GSC - Too many details, build? no idea but probably annoying.

I don't know and am kinda lost. 

I am sure I am going to have to deal with some parts I just don't like. Compromises. 

Thoughts? Ideas? How do you personally deal with this?

Time is the best approach I think. Take it to settle in to an army, learn more, and be sure it's the one for you. You can review the kit sprues on the GW website to get an idea of what goes into building them and of course get hands on feedback in the appropriate section of the B&C :thumbsup: With limitations on how much you can hobby to a level you're satisfied with this makes selecting your army all the more important, and it's already really important :tongue.:

I'd start with eliminating all the armies you know you'd definitely not like/want to play, then review play styles of what's left (and lore, to the level you care for it). You don't want to pick an army only to find out you don't enjoy how it plays. With your filtered list you can then review how much work may be involved to assemble and paint them which is likely the more time consuming of the stages so best as the final one.

Once you've done this you can review the successful candidates and see what compromises you're happy with, or could live with etc and go from there. Of course if at any point something jumps out at you or you gut calls to say it's the one you should at the least make a note to more closely review if you don't pick it outright. Once you have some viable armies you can then spend more time researching and mulling them over to see which you like the best :smile.:

That's the theory at least - if you can't decide you can always roll a die? :tongue.: I don't think it's a bad thing to take extra time on a decision, it's not like anything urgent is requiring a prompt choice, so when in doubt hold off and see some more. Models are forever after all; rules are not. Or lore even.

I think you may want to review the Custodes and Knights a bit more, as smaller model count armies and larger models, a lot of their stuff isn't FW so this might not be necessary if that's an issue for you. If it's the rules; see the previous paragraph again :laugh.::wink:

Where there is a will there's a way, and you definitely have a will. Success is just a matter of the time :thumbsup:

Both Deathguard and Daemons work well with the contrast paints so painting will be a lot easier, a bloodleter can be done with literally red and black. Plus with Deathguard there’s no such thing as a painting mistake, it’s a new gift from papa nurgle! With daemons especially you can tailor them to a playstyle you like.

You could also try the second hand market. eBay is full of ready built stuff that people have given up on so that could eliminate the building headache.

I know you don’t like the details on marines but have you considered a 30k Legion force? A lot of the characters and vehicles are FW (although some of that looks set to change) but the core infantry are plastic and the Legion marines generally have a lot less bling than the 40k ones so can be done quite simply.

The other thing that might be viable depending on your circumstances is commissioning an army but that can obviously make the cost shoot up.

Good luck with whatever you go for, hope you can find the answer you’re looking for!

So building. I guess I am looking for few parts? Larger models? Models I can build that are easier to paint so I don't have to do it in a 100 steps (I am exaggerating).

2: Painting. I am not a good painter. My hands aren't super steady, brush control stinks, and my eyes aren't great. I want the models to look good but just can't seem to get there.

Again, I haven't painted 1kSons but the details are probably too much for me, which is a shame because they look amazing.

I have a feeling that I might do better with armies or an army that needs minimal detail work? Example: Necrons. Mostly just paint the mini metal. black guns, colored plates on their back?

Contrast paint, shades and drybrushing will be your friends when you have a hard time painting. All these methods can easily create good-looking results! Those techniques work particularily well on organic or mutated surfaces, so you might want to give your Tyranids another look, even if some of their model kits are dated. If you're not into the small gribblies and like the middle sized bugs (like your Lictor), you could pick up some Tyranid Warriors, which offer a lot of options in their loadout and give you Synapse to boot!

I've had a similar feeling of ennui to the OP and I've resolved it by purging. 

Everything is going/has gone on ebay, the whole lot of everything I've ever collected except terrain and books. With the proceeds I'm buying into a few Horus Heresy armies. 

What I used to think was the main reason for my interest in this hobby, Space Marines, is actually my only reason - daemons and inquisitors and eldar and orks are just seasoning to the meat and potatoes of Space Marines.

I also don't like Primaris - I like the models, but hate building them and I don't like the lore, so 30k fills the transhuman niche quite nicely.

I used to try everything - new sisters, old orks, grey knights, thousand sons, new chaos, old daemons and I always found it easy to stop what I was doing because it didn't hold my attention properly and I realised that I've wasted so much money on lots of little things.

Point I'm trying to make is that for me, Space Marines from 1994-2016 are my hobby. That's what I want to build, paint and play with. They always have been, but it's taken me 20 years to finally admit to it and therefore embrace it. 

What you need to do is find out what makes this hobby your hobby. Gaming isn't for everyone, plenty on here will attest to that. To others gaming is the reason and everything else is secondary.

As brother WarriorFish says - I'd reconsider Custodes and Knights. I've not built Custodes but you're never going to need 100 of them so even if they are a bit of a pain it's manageable. 

Knights are easy and fun to build, but both armies are made easy by Leadbelcher and Retributor Armour. Spray the gold, drybrush whatever Mithril Silver is called now and wash it with Sepia. For the knight spray the silver and wash it black. After that it's just details and how much time you want to spend on it.

You can easily do both without resorting to forgeworld - and both are fully compatible with 30k too, doubling your player base!

Alternative suggestion - Sanguinary Guard heavy Blood Angels. 

Bloodletter horde if you want to paint lots. I basecoated 40 of them whilst watching a Metallica DVD, so about 2 hours 15. Blood Angels Red is a (blood) godsend. 

Plaguebearers the same but with Plaguebearer flesh or even just Camoshade. You don't even have to paint armour if you go nurgle. 

Tzeentch and Slaanesh I found too finnicky for me.

Also, if you have a Daemon army then you play 30k, 40k and AoS...trebling your player base!

But 2nd Edition 40k is what drew me to the hobby, the Space Marines caught me on their line and finally the Horus Heresy made sure I'd never escape. 

Go back in time to what made you pick up your first white dwarf or box of minis and you'll probably be somewhere close to your answer. 

Thank you so far for the feedback.

I will give Imperial Knights a second look.

I am giving death guard a look.

I am really not interested in 30k. And one of the reasons I passed in IK the first time was you need 4-5 books right now for their rules which is annoying. I know they will get a new codex eventually.

If you have more suggestions, please let me know.

I am still very unsure on all of this and I've wasted a lot of money so far. Reselling now, but you know how that goes.

Knights are great and what’s more they’re really easy to paint. As others have said you can spray the body with leadbelcher then just wash it and drybrush it. But the armour panels are also great targets for the coloured primers. You can also buy some stencils to go on them so they can look great with just a couple of sprays.

Then you’ve only got the panel trims which are quite straightforward thanks to being large. Then it’s just picking out any details you want and it’s done. Definitely paint the panels separately and glue them on after as it’s easier.

I have 3 suggestions:

1) if you start a new army you may well be able to find models already built but not painted on eBay or similar, maybe even at a discount. This might give you a head start.

2) if you stick with the thousand sons, do it this way: spray the whole model gold, wash the whole thing some brownish shade, dry brush a highlight if you like. Then go back and put the blue between the trim. It’s quicker and easier.

3) Try to ‘keep the faith’ with your painting. Many models look crummy when they are 90% done but amazing when finished, based and in an army together. “face and bases” really is true. A few grass tufts and you will be good to go - the only really tricky bit will be the eye lenses, and contrast can be your friend here.

Edit: sorry I see I’ve been a bit of a Martin Laundrette and repeated points made above ... so TLDR +1 to what they said!

Edited by LameBeard

Yes it’s hard. I know the feeling. But with a thinned paint at least the trim can help guide the brush and keep it in the lines sometimes. It’s much worse trying to do the stand-out trim instead (I find).

One more left field idea - have you thought about the idea of “concept” army painting? These are mostly one colour schemes so you don’t need to keep within the lines. Warhammer TV has several examples for Sigmar, like “living statues” but I wonder if some could work for 40k. Like a “ghost” army. This could work for thousand sons, like they are coming in from the warp ... also, if you find a “concept” you like and think it can work it can give a bit more freedom to find both an army play style you like and a paint scheme that’s manageable.

Like maybe a Tau army where their stealth is so good the “concept” is we are seeing them through night-vision goggles - they are done all in a ghostly green monochrome. Could this work? I once saw in white dwarf an Eldar pilot painted like they were l it up by their own view screen - skin, hair, armour all green - looked ace. But could it work across a whole army?

Edited by LameBeard

Daemons might actually be a really good choice - they're the simplest army I can think of in terms of details, and you can go a long way with just a basecoat and a wash. Most of their kits aren't too annoying to assemble, there's a lot of variety, and they pack some serious punch on the tabletop. There's also room to go all-in on big models if you're looking to keep a force small.

I may well end up repeating a few things others have said, but good points are worth making more than once I guess.

If playing games is going to be your main enjoyment from "The Hobby" then that should probably be your focus for picking your army, find one that you'll really enjoy using.

For building models, it can be a pain, but some people REALLY enjoy it, it's worth asking around in your hobby group if any of them are one of those people... If there is someone, try to make an arrangement with them where they build them for you, probably in exchange for cash or models. Outsourcing work you don't like is sensible, do overtime at work for a couple of hours each week and you'll probably find the assembly side of it that way.

For painting, there's a few options:

Commission painting isn't something to rule out completely if it gets you playing games and that's what you're going to enjoy.

There's also plenty of ways to mitigate some of the issues you've mentioned that you have with painting, posture and hand placement can make a big difference to any shaking you experience. For eyesight issues often lighting is the real issue and a decent light is always a good investment. I've found that reading glasses also help me with detail work.

Others have touched in techniques already, but I genuinely think that if you plan out your method for painting an army then pretty much ANYONE can get some decent looking results that they can be proud of at their local club/store. If you decide on an army, I and I'm sure a fair few others on here would be able to help you plan the best way to approach it, from undercoat to finishing touches and everything in between.

Rik

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Daemons. I'll have to do some research. Are the smaller ones a pain to assemble? 

Daemons might actually be a really good choice - they're the simplest army I can think of in terms of details, and you can go a long way with just a basecoat and a wash. Most of their kits aren't too annoying to assemble, there's a lot of variety, and they pack some serious punch on the tabletop. There's also room to go all-in on big models if you're looking to keep a force small.

Ghost Army Concept: Maybe? How does this work with painting and Tournaments? Isn't there something about 3 colors? I am not sure.

Yes it’s hard. I know the feeling. But with a thinned paint at least the trim can help guide the brush and keep it in the lines sometimes. It’s much worse trying to do the stand-out trim instead (I find).

One more left field idea - have you thought about the idea of “concept” army painting? These are mostly one colour schemes so you don’t need to keep within the lines. Warhammer TV has several examples for Sigmar, like “living statues” but I wonder if some could work for 40k. Like a “ghost” army. This could work for thousand sons, like they are coming in from the warp ... also, if you find a “concept” you like and think it can work it can give a bit more freedom to find both an army play style you like and a paint scheme that’s manageable.

Like maybe a Tau army where their stealth is so good the “concept” is we are seeing them through night-vision goggles - they are done all in a ghostly green monochrome. Could this work? I once saw in white dwarf an Eldar pilot painted like they were l it up by their own view screen - skin, hair, armour all green - looked ace. But could it work across a whole army?

I think Imperial Knights or chaos knights are what you are looking for. Can get away with a rough paintjob on vehicles and its way easier to go back and fix it later on a few larger models than a stack of infantry. 

When you are playing they are also a solid 'learning' army. They don't have tons and tons of decision making, and you can focus your efforts on learning 40k the game, rather than all the minutiae of your specific faction. 

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Daemons. I'll have to do some research. Are the smaller ones a pain to assemble?

I don't think so. It might get a little tiresome building lots of them, if you went that route, but you don't have to play a horde, and fully-kitted out GDs are a lot of fun.

It's putting the blue on that is the really difficult part. the models are very small for my hands and eyes. hard for me to keep within the lines so to speak.

Are you really set on them being blue? I have an idea for some bronze statue like Thousand sons, all in metal. Maybe just their eyes picked out. The current WD has some essentially fully contrasted ones, just a rough hint of blue.

I've had a bit of a think about this and for your Thousand Sons an alternative approach with Contrast paints that might work will for you.

• Use a bright silver/steel undercoat
  • Paint the "soft armour" sections and weapon casings with Black Templar
  • Paint any parts that will stay "steel" coloured with Basilicanum Grey
  • If you want to do the yellow banding, do this with Iyanden Yellow
  • Paint all of the blue areas with Akhelian Green (according to GW)
  • Paint the robes with Flesh Tearers Red
  • Tidy up any bits that need it with silver
  • Paint the trim with Aggaros Dunes
  • Paint eyes and gems with Blood Angels Red or Volupus Pink

This would give you a quick, effective and relatively easy to do approach. you could get an even better result if you could do a "Zenithal Basecoat" with the Silvers.

Rik

I don't have the latest WD yet (shipping delays). I will check this out when it gets in. thanks. Blue was just an example. I was actually and originally going to paint them orange and not blue.

It's putting the blue on that is the really difficult part. the models are very small for my hands and eyes. hard for me to keep within the lines so to speak.

Are you really set on them being blue? I have an idea for some bronze statue like Thousand sons, all in metal. Maybe just their eyes picked out. The current WD has some essentially fully contrasted ones, just a rough hint of blue.

Grabbed a couple of pics for you. It's basically a heavy contrast wash, with some hints of other colours.

gallery_58096_7835_253669.jpg

gallery_58096_7835_413742.jpg

If you check out the citadel colour app, there's also ideas for quickly painting things like Ghost or Statue armies, the first of which is above, and the latter also suitable for TS.

Not to hijack the thread - but how would one go about painting vehicles in the style of those thousand sons? 

Or are ghost vehicles a step too far even for 40k?!

This is a good question, but a little OT for here - I'll move it to the PCA questions forum where you'll have a broader reach to the painting gurus of the B&C.

Topic Here.

Edited by Xenith

Cheat when building,

Cheat when painting,

if everything else fails buy used or pay someone to assemble/paint for you.

Loving the models, lore, collecting and or playing shouldn't be 'held back' by not wanting to do the boring bits :D

Assembly you can drop lots of bits and details, just cut them off or don't put them on.

Painting you get real far with 2 cans of spray paint and a gallon of wash. Or the new thingymajiggs if you're fancy! Grab texture paints or backyard sand and pva glue. Bam. Model done.

Tip: if you're painting eyes or lenses, you're doing it wrong. 1 colour minimum with some depth to it, weapons and bases. That's the ticket!