Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Smoke Frog

Kill Team Ah'kin, 4th Company Watch Fortress Sentinel IX is now complete:

gallery_103048_17086_330122.jpg

Displaying their home-chapter heraldry:

gallery_103048_17086_129965.jpg

Chapter heraldry left-to-right:

• Bottom Row: Valedictors, Angels of Vengeance, Howling Griffons, Scythes of the Emperor, Imperial Fists
  • Top row: Flesh Eaters, Space Wolves/Wild Wolves, Mortifactors, Rainbow Warriors, Iron Hands

Here is the sergeant along with the intercessors:

gallery_103048_17086_127322.jpg

And the hellblasters:

gallery_103048_17086_96267.jpg

Final parting shot of the skin tones I experimented with during this kill teams painting!

gallery_103048_17086_264820.jpg

Next batch of deathwatch marines should be two more aggressors and my stormspeeder.

First up is Brother Azurion of the Rainbow Warriors.

gallery_103048_17086_109180.jpg

Not all battle-brothers of the Traitor Legions sided with their Primarch during the Horus Heresy. Garviel Loken of the Luna Wolves, for example, along with a cadre of other loyal legionaires formed the core of the secretive Grey Knights. Others have suggested an alternate origin of the Deathwatch, believed to be initially formed by members of the Death Guard who refused to follow Mortarion and lent their name to the xenos-hunting organization. Still others point to the foundation of the Inquisition and suggest loyalist elements of the Alpha Legion and even the Night Haunters had a role to play.

Yet many more loyal battle brothers remained of the traitor legions. It is believed by some that upon the completion of the Great Scouring, when the Primarch Roboute Guilliman divided the legions into the first space marine chapters, he collected together the disparate remains of now leaderless marines under one banner, to form a new chapter. They represented a cross-section of the most loyal marines drawn from across the entire Imperium, a “rainbow” of warriors with differing origins, backgrounds, and skills now consolidated to fight under one banner, and only in the Emperor’s name.

gallery_103048_17086_126873.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Azurion

Duty Position: Hellblaster, armed with heavy plasma incinerator

Chapter Name: Rainbow Warriors

Successor of: presumed Ultramarines

Homeworld: Prism

gallery_103048_17086_81428.jpg

While much of the fan-made lore for the Rainbow Warriors gives them a Mesoamerican background (which I would normally be a big fan of), I prefer placing the origins of the Chapter further back, all the way to the days of the space marine legions.

I ascribe to the idea that the name of the chapter originates from the 42nd Infantry Division, the “Rainbow Division,” which saw its formation draw recruits from all over the United States, hence the “rainbow” of recruits from many different states across the country. Since space marines are expensive, a smart commander of the Imperium would not want a large crop of extremely loyal space marines (even of former traitor legions) to go to waste. So instead of killing them off they could be bound together in a single chapter, and subsequently hide their origins.

Nice idea, but that lore blurb is not that usefull if you want to present the Chapter's (the seccunded battle-brother's) personality or fighting style

Edited by Gamiel

That is very true, can't say I came with an individual personality for this guy, I just enjoyed coming up with my take on his home chapter!

Considering that his gene-stock could be from a possible collection of "disreputable" sources, and the implications in the lore that the Rainbow Warriors were hunted to (near) extinction, I assume Brother Azurion and most of his brethren are highly suspicious of the Inquisition in general, for fear their chapter may come under further scrutiny. In fact it is likely their homeworld was destroyed in centuries past, and the location of their new base and/or home fleet's coordinates are a closely guarded secret. Any Rainbow Warrior seconded to the deathwatch would ensure the continued secrecy of their chapter's whereabouts while they are assigned, as well as use the opportunity to gather additional intel of the movements of xenos species or pocket-empires which may threaten their continued existence. 

Excellent work. I especially like the Borg-like Iron Hand.

Thanks! Resistance is futile after all :rolleyes:

gallery_103048_17086_95843.jpg

...that being said this guy looks way more like former President Eisenhower than I would have expected :ermm:

Took a cool pic with my intercessor/hellblaster sergeants.

gallery_103048_17086_285968.jpg

And while going through and organizing some of my old collection I went down memory lane and took a picture of one of my numarines next to my oldmarines:

gallery_103048_17086_48225.jpg

Pretty funny to see the difference in the size comparison!

Got two more aggressors complete:

gallery_103048_17086_359317.jpg

First marine is Sergeant Achillaad of the Aurora Talons:

gallery_103048_17086_48331.jpg

The Aurora Talons hail from a fleet of submersible fortress-monasteries on the ice moon of Kelvin. These little-known Iron Hands successors hold a great deal of ancient equipment dating back to the days of the Heresy, and are known to place their battle-brothers in cryo-sleep during long months of space travel or in the brief respite between campaigns.

gallery_103048_17086_192098.jpg

Marine Name: Sergeant Achillaad

Duty Position: Aggressor Sergeant, armed with dual boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launchers

Chapter Name: Aurora Talons

Successor of: presumed Iron Hands, possibly second or third founding

Homeworld: ice moon of Kelvin

gallery_103048_17086_71333.jpg

Full credit for the shoulder-pad color scheme goes to sockwithaticket, who used it for his deathwatch army. It inspired me to add a marine of this chapter to my own force and brainstorm a bit of lore.

I was surprised to learn Aurora Talons do have lexi/wiki articles, though there is no actual information on the chapter other than obscure mentions. So I improvised an idea that they could be Iron Hands successors in a similar vein to the Red Talons/Iron Talons/Brazen Claws, but with a "Mr. Freeze" flavor instead of just obsession with cybernetics. There submersible fortress-monasteries would look like a cross between the underwater craft used in Disney's Atlantis and a supermassive nuclear-powered submarine.

...also while his name was a play on "Achilles" of ancient Greek fame, I was pleased that it basically spells out "A-chill-lad" by an icy coincidence :happy.:

Second aggressor is Brother Apolidus of the Carmine Blades:

gallery_103048_17086_200562.jpg

Though long passing as loyal descendants of Ultramar, the Carmine Blades held a terrible secret. For centuries the chapter worked to conceal the symptoms of incoherent rage and bloodthirst that afflicted many of their veterans after centuries of campaigns. It wasn’t until the instruction received by High Chaplain Astorath of the Blood Angels arrived to teach and form the new order of Sanguinary Priests that the Chapter was able to identify their true origins and diagnose their previously private afflictions. Yet even now their priest struggle to contain the anger at the heart of their battle brothers…

gallery_103048_17086_258585.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Apolidus

Duty Position: Aggressor, armed with dual boltstorm gauntlets and fragstorm grenade launchers

Chapter Name: Carmine Blades

Successor of: officially recorded as Ultramarines, revealed as Blood Angels successors in late 41st Millenium

Homeworld: Haldroth

gallery_103048_17086_59310.jpg

Brother Apolidus is a member of the Carmine Blades. While I was not 100% happy with how the transfer and paintjob went with the Aurora Talon marine, I am much more pleased with how the Carmine Blade turned out. He may not be an as cool of a model as the sergeant, but he gets the job down so now I have three aggressors finished!

Here are all three, with Brother Luzorian of the Deathwing having been previously painted a few months ago:

gallery_103048_17086_184127.jpg

They will be my three-man aggressor squad until I make a full Indomitor kill team.

gallery_103048_17086_94444.jpg

Fine work on the Aggressors. Why is the Aurora Talons Chapter symbol a difficult-to-see blue talon against a slightly darker blue background? Is it meant to be a low-visibility symbol, used with camouflage? If not, I advise making the talon white, the sharp contrast in shading making the symbol obvious to all who see it.

Thats a really good point about the shoulder pad. I based my color scheme off of the Aurora Talon painted by sockwithaticket, and in looking at his original it looks like his colors were blue and a lighter blue-green color. 

Aurora Talon (chapter I made up)
1108329_sm-.jpg

Mine came out much more light blue, especially on camera. Might go back and update it later.

I like the colors as it keeps the "icy" look I had in my mind, though its true white on blue would be much easier to see. 

Completed my stormspeeder!

gallery_103048_17086_290714.jpg

While I am happy it is done, this vehicle was much less fun to assemble and paint than my stalker tank. Glad he is done though.

gallery_103048_17086_298305.jpg

Made a few attempts to use transfers too:

gallery_103048_17086_300927.jpg

The stormspeeder is piloted by Brother Khaliun of the Marauders, and guns manned by Brother Menelik of the Brazen Claws.

Originally the Marauder marine was supposed to be painted up with more Asian features, but I swapped on an old Space Wolf head and made him look more Celtic instead.

Rear view:

gallery_103048_17086_116553.jpg

I can also swap out the tri-melta for the las-variant too. Figure the stormspeeder would work as a great first-strike weapon against enemy armor or bigger xenos beasties.

gallery_103048_17086_217944.jpg

Top view:

gallery_103048_17086_227937.jpg

Magnetizing and options:

gallery_103048_17086_398069.jpg

With the stormspeeder complete, the Phase 1 of my Deathwatch force is complete! These are all models I bought late spring/early summer.

gallery_103048_17086_409284.jpg

Here is the breakdown:

• Jump pack Captain (storm shield/hammer)
  • Primaris Librarian
  • Primaris Apothecary
  • Primaris LT (storm shield/power spear)
  • Kill Marine (storm shield/power maul, also could count as techmarine)
  • 2x Fortis Kill Teams with intercessors/hellblasters (assault and heavy squads), sergeants built with power swords
  • 3x Aggressors (missile launcher and boltstorm gauntlets)
  • 3x Suppressors
  • Stalker AA Tank
  • Stormspeeder

Just finished up the primaris techmarine too, he will be the next post to kick off phase 2! Got a few characters converted up, along with some eliminators and heavy intercessors in the pipeline too.

Damn that’s one sexy and gritty looking force.

I have no idea how you keep it up at this rate man, it kills me. Lol

I am honored!

I am trying to do at least 4-6 hours a week of painting, though I spent most of Sunday doing assembly for my next phase of models. Normally I get 2-3 hours on both Tuesday and Friday, my self-designated paint nights as a chance to unwind during or after the week, and hang out with my brother and uncle on the computer while we all paint stuff. It seems to have been slowly paying off!

It’s definitely paying off, even with the speed your going you’ve took the time to make the uniquely your own and it really shows.

I spend too much time lost in planning and cool ideas, they do pay off but long term.

I’m wanting to get the other two corvus done with scenic bases but one I’m still drawing blanks in the idea department and the other I want to do the low hover open door with a few marines jumping down but would need to angel the craft to give the illusion of a larger internal bay, cut open the door and frame, build a small plastic card inner compartment to decorate and hide further back internals and then the trouble of basing would mean the only reliable connection point if I have marines jumping down would be the marines and I would need multiple brass rod pins going up from a base thick and heavy enough to support it through two reposed marines toe to head coming out at a hidden point and into the blackstar itself…

And like that I’m lost in thought again… lol

Primaris Techmarine complete:

presenting Artificer Kailash, originally of the Fighting Tigers of Veda!

gallery_103048_17086_249105.jpg

I am the caretaker of Shiva, the Destroyer of Worlds. The holy warriors of our past may walk, teach, and fight again thanks to the effort of my hands and the prayers on my lips. I pledge myself to the Long Watch, that I may defend the worlds of the Imperium against the xenos who would befoul the Emperor’s Name, and to bring honor to my chapter and homeworld. –oath of Kailash, Techmarine of the Fighting Tigers of Veda, on his assignment to the Deathwatch

gallery_103048_17086_64694.jpg

Marine Name: Artificer Kailash

Duty Position: Primaris Techmarine assigned to the Armorium of Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Chapter Name: Fighting Tigers of Veda

Successor of: originally believed to be Ultramarines successors, later confirmed White Scars

Homeworld: Veda (Regulus-9), located on the eastern edge of the Maelstrom

gallery_103048_17086_226170.jpg

The Fighting Tigers of Veda got their start back in the legendary days of Rogue Trader. I am a long-term fan of the Jungle website, where the author and creator of the Fighting Tigers (Kenton Kilgore) has provided me and I am sure many other hobbyists with lots of inspiration!

They have a great color scheme of course, and are unique in having a background based in Hindu culture and mythology. What is also pretty cool about them is the author has incorporated decades of his own hobby gaming experience into the lore of the chapter itself, ebbing and flowing throughout his exploits, victories and defeats against dark eldar, orks, or other enemies!

Good view of the stripes on his shoulder pad here:

gallery_103048_17086_37139.jpg

As historic enemies of the Dark Eldar, I decided to include a Drukhari helmet on his base. Kinda wish I had replaced his pistol with an eldar weapon too… maybe next time!

I notice I failed to finish painting some of the buttons on his arm before I took the pictures too...

gallery_103048_17086_122440.jpg

I originally picked the name because it sounded cool… but turns out Kailash is the name of a mountain in Tibet. It is the source of several rivers to include the Indus and at least one tributary of the Ganges. The mountain is also considered in four religions (Hinduism, Bon, Buddhism, and Jainism). Specifically in Hinduism, the Mt. Kailash is considered to be the abode of Shiva. Shiva also happens to be the name of one of the most prominent Dreadnoughts in the Fighting Tigers of Veda arsenal, so it’s a happy coincidence I chose the name! I figure Artificer Kailash had previously worked as one of the techmarines charged with the maintenance of the chapter’s dreadnoughts prior to serving in the Deathwatch.

gallery_103048_17086_263516.jpg

Hope you like how he turned out!

Edited by Smoke Frog

Primaris Captain is next complete: Captain Memnon of the Metamarines!

gallery_103048_17086_145430.jpg

The measure of an asartes’ worth is neither his physical power nor strength, but the speed of his flexibility and adaptability in the face of a galaxy filled with countless enemies.

– attributed to the Watch Captain Memnon of the Metamarines

gallery_103048_17086_54493.jpg

Marine Name: Watch Captain Memnon

Duty Position: Captain of Watch Company Secundus (2nd Company), Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Chapter Name: Metamarines

Successor of: Unknown

Homeworld: Unknown, possibly fleet-based

Metamarines heraldry:

gallery_103048_17086_182000.jpg

Stormshield on his back:

gallery_103048_17086_68208.jpg

I got this model as a surprise donation from the mighty and generous Duke Danse Macabre, and while I had just assembled a new chaplain from another source (still in progress) I decided to turn this new primaris chaplain model into a captain instead as I didn’t have a primaris captain yet. I liked the right pistol arm and really wanted to use the skull-centered-in-sunburst symbol. I already did my apothecary as the Sons of Medusa so that was out, and turned to the Metamarines next even though they have no extant lore. Novamarines also could have worked, considering they are xenos-hating Ultramarines they would have been a great fit for Deathwatch. That being said I appreciate how the META-marines could ultimately fill in for any chapter if you really wanted them too, like an out-of-universe joke on the evolving meta of the 40K game.

gallery_103048_17086_116927.jpg

The captain’s arms are magnetized for his bolt pistol, power sword or bolt rifle, and I can swap in other future combinations should I need to.

gallery_103048_17086_75352.jpg

The goal is to allow him to fill in for any combination of weapons the META may call for primaris marines in the future. His stormshield is on his back of course.

gallery_103048_17086_188064.jpg

And I decided to go with the stripe all the way down his leg like how Duke has painted some of his intercessors, felt like it was fitting!

Using one of my previously-made Blackshield arms, I can also deck him out with a two power-sword combination!

gallery_103048_17086_106759.jpg

Glad he is all painted up, here are his options!

gallery_103048_17086_68238.jpg

I can relate with the pain in waiting for parts, like the use of the shield on what I’m assuming is the Sargent, I’m now doing the same on mine to mark companies as I don’t want to source one for every marine.

Some interesting tech heresy I see in the background there as well.

Love how each one has a little extras from the power supply, recoil, etc, curious to see how the fifth guy turns out.

I can relate with the pain in waiting for parts, like the use of the shield on what I’m assuming is the Sargent, I’m now doing the same on mine to mark companies as I don’t want to source one for every marine.

Some interesting tech heresy I see in the background there as well.

Love how each one has a little extras from the power supply, recoil, etc, curious to see how the fifth guy turns out.

Yup one has a necron immortal gauss blaster weapon, and the other one in the back has a flamer tacked onto his heavy bolt rifle. Fifth guy will have an underslung grenade launcher. 

The weapon conversions won't have any in-game effect except for maybe kill team options. The necron blade is big enough in size to look like a heavy bolter but you can only have one of those per group of 5. 

A great project here! :smile.:

it is always great to see such an army :smile.:

I appreciate it, and thanks for the like bomb!

First heavy intercessor is complete, Sergeant Xenothymos of the Blood Angels:

gallery_103048_17086_161491.jpg

“There are more things in the darkness than man can ever count.” –attributed to Sanguinius, Primarch of the Blood Angels, when speaking on the dangers found beyond the Imperium’s borders

gallery_103048_17086_53327.jpg

Marine Name: Sergeant Xenothymos

Duty Position: Heavy Intercessor Sergeant armed with Heavy Bolt Rifle/powerfist

Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Homeworld: Baal

gallery_103048_17086_60188.jpg

I decided to paint up this marine in Blood Angels Sergeant colors. Pretty straightforward, though felt a bit rushed when I was done. He was the one I was looking forward to the least out of the bunch, so I am glad he is done.

I figure he is a veteran of the Tyrannid Wars that arrived at the Blood Angels homeworld recently in the lore, hence the tyrannid skull on his shoulder.

If my translate is right "xenothymos" means hostile to the alien in Greek.

gallery_103048_17086_12847.jpg

"BAM! I got you!"

~~~

Also worked on my foot chaplain/kill marine with heavy thunder hammer. I don't have his power fist yet that will come later.

gallery_103048_17086_133982.jpg

Excellent work on SGT Xenothymos. Is the name one he adopted in adulthood, along with the new purpose he chose for his life? Or one his parents gave him at birth, to signify what purpose they wanted for him?

That's a good question I had not considered. Only reason I chose the name was because when I couldn't find a good one with the Blood Angels name generator. Everything was coming up super angellic, so I went looking for a better one in Greek. 

Now that you got me thinking, here is the direction I will go with this particular marine's backstory. 

The battle brother who became known as Sergeant Xenothymos of the Deathwatch took his new name upon induction into the long vigil. A proud but defiant Blood Angel, he nearly came to blows with his superiors during the invasion of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Sergeant Xenothymos led a small but vocal minority of battle brothers who held the perceived collusion of the senior chapter officers with the vile Necrons as heretical blasphemy, and condemned the chapter for their actions. As punishment for his protestations, the intransigent battle brother was seconded to the Deathwatch.