Watch Fortress Sentinel IX

Smoke Frog

The battle brother who became known as Sergeant Xenothymos of the Deathwatch took his new name upon induction into the long vigil. A proud but defiant Blood Angel, he nearly came to blows with his superiors during the invasion of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Sergeant Xenothymos led a small but vocal minority of battle brothers who held the perceived collusion of the senior chapter officers with the vile Necrons as heretical blasphemy, and condemned the chapter for their actions. As punishment for his protestations, the intransigent battle brother was seconded to the Deathwatch.

This is well-written.

Thanks! 

Alternatively it may make more sense for him to be given the name "hostile to the alien" by his superiors due to this even, then wearing this label as a badge of honor and taking at his new name as he ships off to the Deathwatch. I like that version too. 

Alternatively it may make more sense for him to be given the name "hostile to the alien" by his superiors due to this even, then wearing this label as a badge of honor and taking at his new name as he ships off to the Deathwatch. I like that version too. 

A greek name do feels a bit strange for the BA (they are usually more renaissance Italian or angel/demon based). Another possebility could be that he is a former Grey Shield and his name is one he was given at his birthworld or given to him by somebody before Bobby G and followers got to Baal. 

Finished my Chaplain: High Executioner Dynamaxes of the Dread Saurians

gallery_103048_17086_52199.jpg

…for while other chapters on campaign bring worlds into Imperial Compliance through fear alone, or descend without warning and leave a world burning in their wake, for the Dread Saurians to be assigned to a campaign now means only one thing for xenos or the enemies of the Imperium—extermination. Extermination not by virus bomb or atomic firestorm, but by chainaxe and bolter, worlds drowned one-by-one in the blood of their inhabitants until none are left standing.

gallery_103048_17086_75433.jpg

Marine Name: High-Executioner Dynamaxes

Duty Position: Primaris Chaplain armed with Heavy Thunder Hammer

Chapter Name: Dread Saurians

Successor of: Salamanders as of the Ultima Founding (secretly World Eaters gene seed)

Homeworld: Unknown

gallery_103048_17086_11436.jpg

The Dread Saurians are the creation of Captain Kolbasi over on reddit. They are a vicious close-combat oriented chapter with a propensity for chain weaponry and bloody assaults, born of some heretical gene seed thanks to the experimentation of Belsarius Cawl. They have no psykers and rely on leadership provided by their chaplains and Tyrant-Captains. I would have named this guy Tyrannus but that’s the name of their chapter master, so I whipped up a new one with the DINO-tastic sounding name.

gallery_103048_17086_54482.jpg

It helps that my first army was Lizardmen, good way to get my invested in an scheme with a straight up T-rex skull as its symbol!

gallery_103048_17086_49070.jpg

The model I used for this one is another stormcast, hence the crusade-looking feet (we will call it Mark X Stormcast variant armor). This model’s arms are magnetized, I am going to build him with the option for a power fist and a crozius once I get some power fists. He has a standard reiver head, and the wicked-looking blade on his belt is from one of the WHF/AOS Lizardmen kits, the Terradons I believe. I also want to use this model in kill team to bring in the heavy thunder hammer.

gallery_103048_17086_119222.jpg

I hope to get another chaplain model, possibly the one on bike though I am not really a fan of bike models in general. Maybe convert a jetbike?

gallery_103048_17086_242105.jpg

The lore quote is an altered paraphrase from a snippet of lore originally intended for the World Eaters during the era of the Great Crusade. Felt fitting for this chapter considering their heretical origins in the Ultima Founding.

Arms are magnetized:

gallery_103048_17086_235660.jpg

A greek name do feels a bit strange for the BA (they are usually more renaissance Italian or angel/demon based). Another possebility could be that he is a former Grey Shield and his name is one he was given at his birthworld or given to him by somebody before Bobby G and followers got to Baal.

That is a really great idea for a backstory.

Question though, were the Greyshields given to the Deathwatch by Big Bobby G also assigned to a chapter, or did they retain their greyshield heraldry after they were given over? Considering they were fighting as a unified whole during the Indomitus Crusade, they were actively assigned to any chapters right? Would they be assigned the heraldry of their primarch (so a Blood Angel given Blood Angel heraldry on his right shoulder pad) or just retain a grey-colored pauldron? Maybe a second deathwatch shoulderpad?

Question though, were the Greyshields given to the Deathwatch by Big Bobby G also assigned to a chapter, or did they retain their greyshield heraldry after they were given over? Considering they were fighting as a unified whole during the Indomitus Crusade, they were actively assigned to any chapters right? Would they be assigned the heraldry of their primarch (so a Blood Angel given Blood Angel heraldry on his right shoulder pad) or just retain a grey-colored pauldron? Maybe a second deathwatch shoulderpad?

To my understanding was no Greyshields given over to the Deathwatch as an organisation but since many of them was handed over to existing Chapter did many of them already have names and looks (and sometime ways) that did not always fit with the Chapter they were given to (I am working on a story with the Crimson Knights where I have given the named ex-Greyshields among them different names from the other to mark out that they originally came from other worlds) so you can have that Xenothymos was his name as a Greyshield and he kept it after joining the BA, instead of taken a new, more Baalish, name.

Chaplains turned out great, love the use of the lower storm cast, the sabatons have really lent him a grim dark feel and combines well with the reliquary you have added to the centre of his chest.

Love the free hand, skulls are a pain to paint, very mind none human skulls, your really done a great job there.

I don’t know if this will help for the future but with allot of symbols I freehand I use white and I have to water it down and layer so much it’s hard to keep accurate so I tend to paint the base shape with no detail and then use the colour under the symbol and paint in the gaps, I just find other paints go on allot easier than white, black especially.

Im a messy painter though  and just fix mistakes as I go. Lol

Thanks for the input!

I have worked more on my contemptor the last few building/painting sessions, and am happy with the progress.

gallery_103048_17086_350297.jpg

I gave him a nice big banner, based on a model I saw on pinterest that can't find the link to anymore :unsure.:

His arms are magnetized, with a few 'heretical' weapon options at his disposal too.

gallery_103048_17086_357264.jpg

This dreadnought is going to be a member of the Inheritors chapter, and I spent some time experimenting to get a icy sea-green I was happy with.

gallery_103048_17086_84051.jpg

Quite a bit more painting done this evening later, and most of his heraldry is done!

gallery_103048_17086_300099.jpg

Lots more work to do :sweat:

Damn you’ve done a great job with your Contemptor, his trophy rack really gives him an aura…

An aura of stay the hell away if you know what’s good for you. I love it. Lol

Also your junk box gave me a chuckle, that’s some solid organising. Lol

Thanks, most of my bits are nicely organized by type but everyone needs a good junk drawer. It is filled with everything from my own failed attempts at resin casting parts, to arms cut off with no weapons, weapons cut off with no arms, or even bits of sprue that might come in handy later.

Work continues on the contemptor once again, and I am very happy with how the miniscule lettering has come out on his chestpate-armor.

gallery_103048_17086_95165.jpg

Took a while but it came out legible, I will take it!

Homo Sapien Inheritus Galax Omnis- roughly translated from its High Gothic/Faux Latin to "humans will inherit all the galaxy."

My dreadnought's progress is going slow, so to take a break I put the finishing touches and transfers on to finish another heavy intercessor: Brother Nestor of the Sons of Medusa.

gallery_103048_17086_100961.jpg

Over the centuries the Sons of Medusa have earned a reputation for standing against the Emperor’s foes, no matter how desperate the odds. Yet their reputation has been long-marred by those who would call the Sons of Medusa battlefield scavengers or carrion crows.

During their lean years in exile, the Chapter developed a habit of seeking out and appropriating weapons and technology from the fallen. It is said by their detractors that the desire to take wargear from the dead remains an underlying motive of all their actions, and a principal reason they have never shunned combat against those Space Marine Chapters who have turned Renegade or become subject to censure by the High Lords of Terra.

gallery_103048_17086_174974.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Nestor

Duty Position: Heavy Intercessor armed with Heavy Bolt Rifle, underslung heavy flamer

Chapter Name: Sons of Medusa, Atropos War Clan

Successor of: Iron Hands (Moriae Schism)

Homeworld: Fleet Based, monastery in fortified asteroids of Taelus

gallery_103048_17086_38475.jpg

Brother Nestor is the second Sons of Medusa marine added to my force (the first being my Apothecary) because I love the color scheme to this chapter and would consider building a kill team or an army of these guys someday.

gallery_103048_17086_129771.jpg

I had fun converting up his weapon, it was the first conversion into the squad I attempted and probably the weakest. He is now ready to be used in Kill Team games as an infernus heavy bolter, but in normal 40K games would be a standard heavy intercessor with heavy bolt rifle or variant.

gallery_103048_17086_158897.jpg

With an extra tank of prometheum at his side and a necron-spine trophy on his back, Brother Nestor is ready to go slay some xenos!

Edit: how is that purity seal on his leg so clean???!?

Edited by Smoke Frog

I finally finished my contemptor dreadnought!

Revered Brother Jorodin, pictuered here with his close-combat arm and double-melta gun:

gallery_103048_17086_259845.jpg

“…I was there, brothers, when my masters swore oaths of fealty to the Abomination [False Primarch]. Back then, I was but a lowly initiate, a member of the reserve and a marine of low rank and low worth. For my uneasiness, my lack of devotion, I was punished and expelled from their ranks to serve a sentence on the Long Vigil. I then remember when the Pentarchy fell upon my former kin, and the carnage that followed on my homeworld. Though the heretics have ceased to exist, I remained to inherit my chapter’s shame.” – Dreadnought Jorodin of the Inheritors Chapter

Heraldry of the Inheritors Chapter: Fist clenching a Star

gallery_103048_17086_224794.jpg

Dreadnought Name: Revered Brother Jorodin

Duty Position: Ancient Contemptor Dreadnought

Chapter Name: Inheritors (Destroyed- Excomunicate Tratoris)

Successor of: Raven Guard (3rd Founding via the Death Eagles)

Homeworld: frozen deathworld Hyperborya (destroyed) in the Morquib Sector

Armourial Banner: Homo Sapien Inheritus Galax Omnis- 'Humans will Inherit All the Galaxy'

gallery_103048_17086_53425.jpg

Learned of this chapter via user Apologist on B&C in the “Some Things are Best Forgotten” thread about the War of the False Primarch. Inheritors are the creation of Lars J-D; slavic/sikh inspired background. White-haired and violet-eyed space marines, armor the color of ancient ice and mint.

The name Jorodin does not have much specific meaning other than an allusion to the historical figure with the alias Borodin, revolutionary and agent of the Bolsheviks who worked with Sun Yat-sen and the KMT in 1920s China.

gallery_103048_17086_202724.jpg

Back view:

gallery_103048_17086_85818.jpg

Some trophies chained to his leg:

gallery_103048_17086_234775.jpg

Left arm and deathwatch insignia:

gallery_103048_17086_262419.jpg

I had fun making the banner for this guy. Aside from numerous other trophies, Revered Jorodin carries one of his most recent kills during incursions against Hive Fleet Leviathan.

gallery_103048_17086_128498.jpg

It was great fun painting this thing, so I took lots of photos!

gallery_103048_17086_200360.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_168055.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_183733.jpg

Gold on the banner looks a little funky, but its good enough for me!

I suppose I could also use the magnetization point between his shoulders for a missile launcher should I ever make one.

Back view of the banner:

gallery_103048_17086_273894.jpg

I also enjoyed making weapons options for this dreadnought. Thanks to Duke Danse Macabre I had a second assault cannon to equip him with, so I differentiated the two with some tyrannid and necron-looking bits:

gallery_103048_17086_186635.jpg

The blade is just a bit of plasticard painted to look like segments- next time I will attempt to make it look more like a lychguard blade.

gallery_103048_17086_189891.jpg

Also made a dual set of necron-kitbashed weapons that could probably sub in for some other weapons options, maybe some conversion beamers? I would like to make some las-options at some point too, and maybe a giant power-sword!

gallery_103048_17086_310040.jpg

All the magnetization options:

gallery_103048_17086_167162.jpg

Glad Revered Brother Jorodin is complete, with the banner doubling his height he is about four times as tall as a space marine now!

gallery_103048_17086_332113.jpg

Still slogging through on my next two heavy intercessors, here they are in sequential order of highlight completion.

gallery_103048_17086_58557.jpg

Great news though, my High Marshal Helbrecht pre-order arrived today! He is going to be converted into my new Watchmaster, but in the meantime I used some of the extra bits to finish assembling my fifth Heavy Intercessor.

gallery_103048_17086_83222.jpg

I also did some Reiver assembly this weekend so far:

gallery_103048_17086_374591.jpg

Four of them have magnetized arms so I can swap out between combat knives and bolt carbines, and some also have grappling hooks!

gallery_103048_17086_35239.jpg

Last model assembled today was my Phobos Lieutenant, who is 100% inspired by the GLORIOUS Mantis Warrior bladeguard veteran painted by Krakendoomcool.

gallery_103048_17086_122211.jpg

Mine is quite a bit rougher of course, but I really loved the double-swords look. His arms are magnetized too so I can swap in a carbine should I want too.

gallery_103048_17086_235054.jpg

I did not have any genestealer heads in my collection, so the third trophy on his backpack became a Tau head. Might attempt to sculpt some bandages later if I become especially brave :wacko.:.

And for maximum accuracy, while I don't have an Ossiarch Bonereaper shield on hand (and can't find one online either :dry.:) I just gave him a rounded Deathwatch shield to complete the "Ninja Turtles" vibe the original model had going on.

gallery_103048_17086_171148.jpg

That's all for now, hope to do some painting on the heavy intercessors this weekend!

Finished up my next two Heavy Intercessors this morning, starting with Brother Duroch of the Yellowjackets.

gallery_103048_17086_95947.jpg

While on campaign against rebellious traitors or xenos alike, the Yellowjackets conduct their assaults with lightning assaults and devastating precision. They make heavy use of infiltrating troops as well as warsuits and snipers, quickly followed by their main cell-companies swarming in on the backs of their Thunderhawks and Stormraven transport craft. All these forces are in turn supported by copious close-air support from their aircraft stinger teams, chiefly speeders as well as their Stormtalon gunships wings.

gallery_103048_17086_91129.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Duroch

Duty Position: Heavy Intercessor armed with Heavy Bolter

Chapter Name: Yellowjackets

Successor of: unknown, first records seem to appear during the Horus Heresy and Great Scouring

Homeworld: Chagorum

gallery_103048_17086_219535.jpg

Brother Duroch is my third Yellowjacket in the force, the other two being my 4th Company Captain Aracus and Stalker AA Turret gunner Brother Jerref. I do love this chapter and the lore I have imagined up for them, and I hope naming two of my marines after the chapters creator Jeff Durochia is a fitting tribute!

gallery_103048_17086_25413.jpg

Unlike the rest of the heavy intercessors Brother Duroch is just a heavy bolter gunner with a few extra trinkets on his belt and arm.

gallery_103048_17086_46621.jpg

~~~

The second heavy intercessor is known as Brother Katsuyori of the Koi:

gallery_103048_17086_139059.jpg

Be as swift as the wind, strong as the forest, fierce as the fire, immovable as the mountain –attributed to Brother-Captain Shingen of the Koi

gallery_103048_17086_109659.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Katsuyori

Duty Position: Heavy Intercessor armed with Double-barrelled Gauss Blaster (Heavy Bolt Rifle)

Chapter Name: The Koi; previously known as the Emperor’s Swords (Low Gothic), now as the Nishikigoi (localized language, most often simplified as the Koi)

Successor of: Unknown (theorized to be Ultramarines, White Scars, or Blood Angels. Quite likely they are traitor stock from the Emperor’s Children)

Homeworld: Edo, urbanized archipelago world

gallery_103048_17086_127470.jpg

While his gun is the most heavily altered out of all the heavy intercessors (read: stolen from a necron), the weapon was the easiest part of the model to swap. The shoulderpad was a bit more tricky, I hope to possibly try the armor paneling method again on one of my upcoming captain conversions.

He also has a case of tiny hand syndrome due to using the necron hands that came with the weapon... :blush.:

gallery_103048_17086_63381.jpg

Brother Katsuyori is seconded to the Deathwatch from a chapter known as the Koi, a DIY chapter of my own creation. He is a member of the Utsurimono Clan, known as a powerful clan-company that nearly succeeded in ending the chapter civil war, however were defeated by the Bekko clan during their rise to supremacy and consequently nearly wiped out.

Brother Katsuyori is named for Takeda Katsuyori, son of Takeda Shingen who after his father’s death saw the ruin of his clan and their falling from power as a contender for control of Japan.

gallery_103048_17086_215532.jpg

Hope you like them; I did my best attempt at Japanese letters with only the barest amount of success. Need more practice, but I did enjoy painting those koi on his kneepad!

Edited by Smoke Frog

Completed my fifth Heavy Intercessor to round off the first half of my Indomitor Kill Team: Brother Anslem of the Black Templars!

gallery_103048_17086_100877.jpg

Suffer not the Alien to Live!

gallery_103048_17086_102656.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Anslem

Duty Position: Heavy Intercessor armed with Heavy Bolt Rifle, underslung grenade launcher

Chapter Name: Black Templars

Successor of: Imperial Fists (2nd Founding)

gallery_103048_17086_113180.jpg

Pretty simple work on this guy, but the addition of bits I wasn't planning to use for my watchmaster from the latest Helbrecht kit came in handy, and gave this model a lot of extra character!

gallery_103048_17086_17824.jpg

I trimmed down the grenade launcher a bit so it didn't stick out so far beyond the main bolter nozzle, that helped a bit. Makes the weapon look a lot more impressive too... even though it is even more outrageous than normal!

gallery_103048_17086_119363.jpg

I am also happy with how his skin tone turned out. Here he is next to his fellow battle-brother of the Sons of Medusa. Sadly the pictures I took of the whole squad of five did not turn out so good so I will retake those later.

gallery_103048_17086_137447.jpg

~~~

I also have made some progress on my Reiver Lieutenant kitbash from the regular Reiver kit, I think he looks pretty good!

gallery_103048_17086_99901.jpg

Heavy Intercessor squad, first half of my Indomitor Kill Team to go with the Aggressors I already painted. Just need another box of aggressors to finish out the kill team.

gallery_103048_17086_423825.jpg

Heraldry left to right: Blood Angels (sergeant), Black Templars, Sons of Medusa, the Koi, and the Yellowjackets

gallery_103048_17086_113730.jpg

Very happy with these marines, looking forward to painting more.

gallery_103048_17086_258993.jpg

gallery_103048_17086_382780.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with my phobos LT, but got distracted again and decided to put together my Watch Master!

Every army needs a centerpiece commander after all!

gallery_103048_17086_75744.jpg

Really love this new Helbrecht model, and had fun putting this guy together. It felt so heretical cutting off the glorious templary bits ::emperor forgive me:: :unsure.:

He is magnetized so he can swap between bases along with his melta-flunkie:

gallery_103048_17086_89601.jpg

Today I worked on him a tad more. Still got more cleaning to do, but I gave him a few more smaller bases with different xenos species on them, so in the event I come up against an army that features xenos other than orks I will continue to have bragging rights :rolleyes:

gallery_103048_17086_185787.jpg

Still gotta make the tyrranid base though. How big is a carnifex?

After some final tinkering today I painfully chopped off the candles on his backpack and gave him some Angels of Vengeance wings instead.

gallery_103048_17086_181858.jpg

Inspiration behind this guy is my favorite chapter-master conversion of all time, Chorazin of the Angels of Vengeance.

My Phobos Lieutenant is complete!

gallery_103048_17086_251426.jpg

The Mantis Warriors have been on a 100-year penitential crusade for their crimes against the Imperium. In those years the chapter suffered many losses, finding themselves slowly eroded by their state of constant campaigns. Indeed the chapter was nearly wiped out in their defense of the strategically important world of Herodianm IV from a Tyrannid fleet in the late 41st Millenium. Only then, when the chapter was reduced to a pitiful state of less than 100 surviving battle brothers, did the Inquisition rule they Mantis Warriors had paid their penance and could once again begin recruiting to replace their great losses.

But that does not mean they were completely forgiven.

Due to their historic crimes they were to receive no additional aid; they received no reinforcements during the Indomitus Crusade nor after the opening of the Great Rift. Only through their own hard efforts will the Mantis Warriors be able to endure and rebuild their devastated chapter.

gallery_103048_17086_104259.jpg

Despite the dire need of the chapter to rebuild, Brother Yasuke of the Mantis Warriors has put his infiltration skills to good use in the Deathwatch. Stalking unseen across many battlefields, he leads his strike teams in daring raids and scouting missions; and in the event stealth fails, switches to lethal strikes with the weapons that earned him his duelist reputation in the fighting pits of his parent chapter.

gallery_103048_17086_58171.jpg

Marine Name: Brother Yasuke

Duty Position: Lieutenant of Watch Company Tertius (3rd Company), Watch Fortress Sentinel IX, equipped with dual combat-blades and bolter carbine

Chapter Name: Mantis Warriors (sometimes called the Mantis Legion)

Successor of: White Scars (alleged 8th Founding)

Homeworld: Currently fleet based, formerly recruited from Tranquility III (prior to the Badab War)

gallery_103048_17086_12296.jpg

As stated earlier in the thread after I assembled him, this marine conversion is shamelessly inspired by Krakendoomcool and his epic Mantis Warriors. While mine isn’t as nicely painted or converted, I did my best to paint up an alternate version of the marine were he to be seconded for service to the Deathwatch. Super happy with how he turned out, and you better believe that if I ever run him in a 40K match or in kill team his nickname is going to be "the Krakendoom!"

I don't have any Ossiarch Bonereaper bits, but I did have this cool 3D printed deathwatch shield that looks awesome on his back:

gallery_103048_17086_164548.jpg

Lieutenant Yasuke has both his arms magnetized for maximum pose-ability, and can swap his left-arm’s sword for a bolt carbine to more closely mirror the actual phobos lieutenant loadout. He also has a round shield on his back to keep the TMNT look going too.

gallery_103048_17086_75638.jpg

Named for Yasuke, the real-world African Samurai of Feudal Japan. Hope you like him!

Thanks all!

I am working on finishing up my reivers. Here they are post basecoat-and-wash stage:

gallery_103048_17086_325398.jpg

I got a few options magnetized so they can sport their pistol and knives, bolt carbines, or some grapnel launcher guns.

gallery_103048_17086_128337.jpg

It might be pretty obvious which chapter the one in the front left hails from :biggrin.:

gallery_103048_17086_22740.jpg

Belated Merry Christmas!

Almost done with my phobos LT, but got distracted again and decided to put together my Watch Master!

Every army needs a centerpiece commander after all!

gallery_103048_17086_75744.jpg

Really love this new Helbrecht model, and had fun putting this guy together. It felt so heretical cutting off the glorious templary bits ::emperor forgive me:: :unsure.:

He is magnetized so he can swap between bases along with his melta-flunkie:

gallery_103048_17086_89601.jpg

Today I worked on him a tad more. Still got more cleaning to do, but I gave him a few more smaller bases with different xenos species on them, so in the event I come up against an army that features xenos other than orks I will continue to have bragging rights :rolleyes:

gallery_103048_17086_185787.jpg

Still gotta make the tyrranid base though. How big is a carnifex?

After some final tinkering today I painfully chopped off the candles on his backpack and gave him some Angels of Vengeance wings instead.

gallery_103048_17086_181858.jpg

Inspiration behind this guy is my favorite chapter-master conversion of all time, Chorazin of the Angels of Vengeance.

Helbrect has never looked nicer :wub: