Astartes Allies... how do you use them

9th edition has done a good job balancing the benefit of "souping" in allies with enough opportunity costs (i.e. loss of faction only bonuses, CP cost for additional detachments, etc.) to make most players lean toward sticking to a single faction. As a result, unlike in past editions, it is actually the exception, instead of the rule, to see 'Imperium Soup' or even multiple Chapter style armies these days, which is probably healthy for the game, all things considered.

That said, I am beginning to explore how competitive Astartes armies might look at "souping" together to make an effective tournament force... while you lose out on Super Doctrines and have to pay extra CP for access to additional detachments, Marines have ways to get CP back and they also still get Combat Doctrines (provided the entire army is Adeptus Astartes), which is a pretty major bonus still.

So far, here are two "building block" detachments I have come up with for potentially contributing to a combined Astartes Task Force:

*Dark Angel Ravenwing Outrider -- Biker Captain with relic to reduce enemy Invuls to a 5++, multiple Attack Bike squads to grab objectives (and hold them with their T5, 4++, and multiple wounds). This detachment can supplement the main Space Marine force by serving as the "quick reaction force" for dashing around the board, grabbing objectives, and also providing potent MM firepower where necessary. The Biker Captain also gives you the best of the army the ability to bring down key enemy targets by capping their Invul at a 5++, which can be a game changer (i.e. Mortarion, enemy Bladeguard/Stormshield Vanguard, Sisters with all the Invul buffs, Harlequin units, Custodes, etc etc.).

*Ultramarine Vanguard -- Tigurius (Null Zone, Veil of Time, Might of Heroes), Chapter Ancient with Standard of Macragge and Steadfast Example WL Trait (for Objective Secured), Chief Apothecary with Seal of Oath and Selfless Healer, 10 TH/SS Terminators (MCed TH on the Sergeant). This little battle group gives you a durable assault unit (-1 to Hit, 1+/4++ Invul, 6+++ FNP, restore lost models by Apothecary) that can power up with Seal of Oath against a selected target (i.e. full re-rolls to Hit and Wound) and the +1 to hit from the Chapter Ancient. With all the buffs, the Terminators get 36 x S8 AP-3 Dmg3 attacks on the charge, plus 6 x S9 AP-3 Dmg4 attacks on their Sergeant, all with full re-rolls and no enemy Invul saves (at least within 6" of Tigurius). With Objective Secured the Terminators can take the middle of the field and hold multiple objectives (and smash pretty much anyone who comes to try and push them off of them). 

So, how about the other Chapter Masters out there?

Have you had any success on the tabletop bringing multiple allied Astartes detachments together under one banner? Any combinations that have been particularly effective against the Heretic/Xenos/Traitor foe?

Edited by L30n1d4s

The Raven Guard bonuses are pretty much crap in 9e and I play a Successor anyway, so I've been considering a Knight Crusader for a special project at some point. RG are pretty CP thirsty pre-game so it's hard to pay for that extra detachment and stay competitive. Still I'll likely do it for funsies at some point. Some for a Guard detachment if they true scale the infantry some day.

Edited by Dracos