Maximum range to an objective marker query

Question regarding holding objectives:

GW recommends using circular objective markers that are 40 mm in diameter (roughly 1.6”) and you are in range if within 3” to the outer diameter. Therefore measuring from the center would be a maximum range of 3.8” ?

Again, the stipulated procedure is from the bound of the objective marker. Any other procedure would be an unofficial short cut. So: for competitive play you'd stick strictly to what's defined on page 237 of the rulebook and any pertinent errata. While that page does recommend 40mm round markers, it explicitly allows '... any suitable marker, ...'. So they could be larger or smaller, or not even round, unless your event organizer stipulates otherwise. But such a local stipulation would be just that, a local rule and not an official rule portable to other events.

Further, your sloppy conversion from metric to customary units has extended your range by a couple thou. So if you could measure to such precision and accuracy and not resort to declaring it ambiguous and dicing for it it would've been cheating to claim that a figure who's base was at 3.8" from the centre of a 40mm. 

I don’t have a means to reliably measure past the the first point after the decimal so that’s why I’m asking. There’s no need to attack me for asking an honest question. What would you recommend besides 40 mm for competitive play as a standard? What I have found doing some research is a lot of the major tournaments are using a diameter of 7.5".

"So if you could measure to such precision and accuracy and not resort to declaring it ambiguous and dicing for it it would've been cheating to claim that a figure who's base was at 3.8" from the centre of a 40mm."

Seriously are you claiming I’m a cheater and resorted to this?

Edited by Black Blow Fly

For competitive play, I would just use 40mm markers and measure to the edge. Don't bother with the center of things if you don't have to.

This doesn't really seem like an official rules query, anyway? Wouldn't this question be better in Amicus?

The rules for competitive play would be the same for regular play, unless the specific event changed its own rules.

So, unless that specific tourney says otherwise, you would measure from the border of the objective marker, which could (but doesn't need to be) a 40mm base.

I think you are getting caught up on the 8th edition rules, which required measuring from the centre of the objective.  Given that slight differences in measurements can potentially swing the outcome of a game, and the fact that it can be difficult to determine exactly what the centre is, many tournaments put down flat markers that were 3" radius circles to speed up and simplify the task of determining who was in range of a given objective.

If you wanted to do something similar, under 9th edition rules you would need to choose something to be objective, then put down a circle that extended 3" in all directions from that something.

That said, your question essentially answers itself...

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

are you trying to build a single base that is the total size? as in 40mm + the 3 inches outside of that? this is what i understood of your question. its also seems to be the easiest way to create the objective in a fair way which cant be cheated.

• 3 weeks later...