Monolith Mayhem

Prot

So I picked up a Monolith. I had a weak moment. I hadn't bought anything 'new' for 40K for quite a while and I just love the model.

I put this behemoth together as quickly as I could and I slapped the first few stages of paint on it.

I had a game coming up so I got it in the list, but it was a horrible unit, and with first turn I got 1 full turn of decent shooting out of it, and in T2 it was destroyed.

The best part of it was it deflected some attention off of my Void Dragon.

Here's a pic for proof!

gallery_2760_17009_76125.jpg

So I know something changed in the FAQ favoring Necrons taking a Super Heavy (Monolith), but I can't remember what it is....

I did find the random D6 shots a horrible feature on a nearly 400 point unit (I took 4 of the weapon upgrades).

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has found some truly useful way of running this thing? I had trouble keeping it alive, and found the lack of Invuln in today's super potent offensive game to be a huge handicap. I think one SoB tank took 18 wounds off of it. The Repentia (Multi Melta's) could have easily destroyed it in turn 1, but I was too far away.

Right now I feel like the monolith's only use is teleporting warriors, but I'd like to think I'm just missing something. Any thoughts?

I think that it isn’t strong but it’s good enough that, depending on army build strategy, it may be ok to take without feeling like you’re handicapping yourself.

My thoughts:

- net 1cp cost ain’t to bad

- the strat to fight at the top level is a necessity

- needs to fight in melee as well as shoot to make points back

- I like to start in the guardian protocol, so that if I am going second everything gets +1 save… a monolith with 1+ save doesn’t miss not having an invulnerable save too much

I also go with weight of shots (gauss rather than death rays) think the rays just don’t get enough shots/rerolls to be worth it.

Oh, I also think that (due to eating cp every turn to fight at top level), monolith competes with c’tan for scant cp resources…

The really should have taken the opportunity to make the monolith one of the toughest vehicles in the game. I find it funny when designers think that giving it a small handful of extra wounds and a 2+ makes it that much more durable. Let's not even count the move to LOW and denial to dynasty protocols. 

Did you have it in reserve or on the table to begin with? 

- I like to start in the guardian protocol, so that if I am going second everything gets +1 save… a monolith with 1+ save doesn’t miss not having an invulnerable save too much

I thought LoWs couldn't gain any benefits from faction abilities due to the detachments?

I thought LoWs couldn't gain any benefits from faction abilities due to the detachments?

In a super heavy auxiliary, my understanding is:

- you don’t get dynastic traits (but you do have a dynasty keyword)

- you do (if mono dynasty) get command protocols