The Junkyard Stirs

dreadmad

It's been about 11 years since my last full dreadnought army, and it's time the mechs rise again.

I'm going for a full junkyard vibe, with rusted metal as the main armour colouring. Working on test schemes atm, but I think I'm pretty happy with the rust. The plain metal will get some exhaust burn where appropriate. 

Test Rust

Dug this old dread out, will be about a week before I make any headway there - I need to wait for some bits to arrive from ebay.

eZMVkBe.jpg

Time to work on a skin recipe, looking for something muted I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Progress on the Kan!

218106917 253453532912794 4021660511788799695 N

Feels like it's lacking something, but I'm pretty happy with it as a proof of concept. Less happy with the 15pts for Rokkits, not 100% where I'm going to take the list currently. I'll probably build a Kan squad, but my next builds might be the Squig Buggies and Bikes I have lying around...

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a little while, but I've got the backbone of my potential army built. My junkyard has massively pivoted to Wheels over Legs - but I'll be fleshing out my collection with Walkers once I've got this all painted.

I've enjoyed building the Squigbuggies, but it's a super mono-pose kit - which is the thing that I've spent the most time on over the last month.

Apologies for the lower quality pics, I'll take some better ones as I get things fully painted.

SCgI5vy.jpg

HQ's (Big Mek w/ KFF and Warbiker Warboss), waiting on the new Squigasaur to be released and my Warbiker boss to arrive

nCgXx4k.jpg

Troops, 20 Snagga Boyz to go in 2 Kill Rig - waiting on the new Boyz to make a squad of 10 Trukk Boyz.

UjXuKH4.jpg

C2WXdCU.jpg

Elites, 2 squads of Kommandos - converted from one of the old FW resin Kommando upgrade boxes and a load of spares.

pPzk77H.jpg

mdK01Nj.jpg

Fast Attack. 1 squad of Storm Boyz, 2 squads of Bikers & 5 Squigbuggies (including one upgraded as the Nitro Squig Kustom Job)

Up9cDi3.jpg

2eP1439.jpg

jJJXs9O.jpg

mLlbYKU.jpg

Qg5Ttw5.jpg

ttx1RGn.jpg

Zb5Ra84.jpg

a7UEgLM.jpg

mjAk098.jpg

Trukk, 2 Kill Rigs, Squigasaur and 10 Boyz to follow in the future.

• 2 months later...

SO.

It's been a few months.

Turns out I entered a few tournaments during Lockdown without looking at my calendar, so I'm running a tournament every 2 weeks between The London GT and The Leicester GT. That's 6 Tournaments over the course of 10 weeks - or as I am calling it - too many.

Anyway, I've made my bed and now I shall lie in it (cancelling any tickets sounds like quitter talk to me).

London GT was event no.1.

The list I took was:

Deffkilla Wartrike (Brutal but Kunning,  Da Badskull Banna)

Mega Armour Mek, KFF

Mega Armoured Mek, Teleport Blasta, Extra Kustom Weapon

3* 5 Kommandos (2 squads with Klaws)

1* 3 Meganobz (Combi-Rokkits because spare points)

3 *2 Megatrakk Scrapjets

2* 2 Rukkatruck Squigbuggies

1* 1 Rukkatruck Squigbuggy (Nitro Squigs)

2* 5 Storm Boyz

2 Dakkajets (1 with More Dakka)

Pictures!

cfsBAXf.jpg

lLobTST.jpg

bq9xDnu.jpg

It was a bit of a last minute panic change, the double Big Mek didn't perform and the Meganobs were too expensive for how I used them (a tanky back field objective holder). The list is obviously built around Engage on all fronts and RoD, but a big failure of the list is the lack of a strong 3rd secondary I can pick into any list. I did however skew heavily into the buggies/planes because my first plan (a mix of buggies and Snakebite Bikes/Infantry in Kill Rigs) wasn't going to be playable at LGT as the Kill Rig etc was released the weekend of the event.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 1: Thousand Sons. 3rd Secondary was Abhor (obviously).

He was running multiple squads of 5 Chaos Spawns (along side a brick of Scarab Occults and MSU Rubrics, dual detatch Time/Duplicity) which had me reaaaaaally worried right up until he told me the Chaos Spawn don't get the 5++ all other Thousand Sons get. I lost first turn, but all that meant was he came into range of all my firepower turn one - and he was out of CP by my turn 2, so I picked up his entire squad of Scarab Occult Termis with my Rokkit Buggies as he didn't have the CP to give them -1D.

Strong win: 97 - 59

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2: Ad Mech. 3rd secondary was Grind I think? I scored well on it, I mostly suffered on Primary this game.

Not the full horror of Planes + 80 Infantry, but rather a really cool list built around the Veteran Cohort + LOTS  o f Serberys Raiders, Ruststalkers, Infiltrators and Pteraxii. Oh. And 2 Termite Drills. Also piloted by Wayne, who was an absolute blast to play.

I got T1 and just picked him apart from there, he managed to play a very strong points based game to make it worryingly close until the last turn or two.

Close win: 77 - 62

Game 3: Mikey Herbert's Iron Hands. 3rd Secondary doesn't matter.

Ooooh boy, this one hurt. I lost both roll offs, so he positioned his Invictor Warsuits in a forward ruin, penning me in a little. Turns out, that didn't matter as I made a major mess up in deployment by moving a bit of terrain (that I had pre-measured to make sure I was screened when I deployed Kommandos in it) to fit my model board (space at the LGT was TIGHT) and then forgetting to move it back. By the time I realised I'd left a hole in my lines the game had started, and while I moved the terrain back I left the models where they were. Honestly, Mikey was such a lovely dude he probably would have been ok with me moving stuff back, but there was no way I was going to do that because it's my own mistake to wear. HIs drop pod came down, melted my Warboss and half my list then picked me up from there.

Highlight of this game was having no idea who he was, and asking him if he ever got to Hellstorm events when we were discussing where we had travelled from. He runs them. He IS Hellstorm. Laughs were had by all.

Crushing defeat: 17 - 100

Game 4: World Eaters! Grind maybe again? It was at this point I realised my list needed a better 3rd secondary.

I boxed in his deployment with my Kommandos to eliminate any risk of a T1 charge from his Warp Talons (using Apopleptic Frenzy) I just stood a squad of Kommandos 9" in front of them and boxed in his other angles. HIs list was very fun, another couple of Termite Drills, lots of TERRIFYING MSU Bezerkers, Raptors and Termi's in Reserve and some backfield Cultists. I got T1, picked up his Warp Talons and move blocked his other scary units early and then it was just a case of targeting the right units to stop him from doing anything meaningful to me. I even misplayed a tad and left a gap for him to drop his Termi's into T2, but he only rolled average Unfortunately Jack's list just matches really poorly into mine, and he would have needed T1 to even having a fighting chance - but he was a great opponent and we had a fun game despite the result.

Strong Win: 91 - 46

Game 5: Sisters. Secondary was Grind again here I believe.

This one felt pretty bad. He was playing a pretty standard Sisters list (Vahl, Celestine, 2* 10 Celestians, 2 squads of Dominions in Rhinos with Retributors, Zeparim etc etc). He positioned Vahl in range of only one of his Celestian Squads and in LoS of my full army, I brought the parking lot aggressively forward and then whiffed on the Celestians leaving half my list without anything to shoot and in a dangerous position. If I'd rolled average or even a tad below I'd have picked up Vahl and the game would have been a done deal. Instead I got slowly ground down and lost big chunks of my threats each turn.

I've thought about this game a lot, and I still can't decide if I misplayed or not. It was a very all or nothing play, but I should have picked up his single Celestian squad pretty comfortably - and if I had played further back I'd have ceded the mid board (Sweep and Clear where my opponent picked Direct Assault and Stranglehold so he'd be racking up an easy 6 points a turn).

Loss: 57 - 94

I went into the LGT having played only 5 games with Orks, and only 3 of those with a Buggy list. My aim was to go at least even, so I was happy with a 3-2 finish. Overall I felt like I played well, and learnt a lot from my mistakes. I also felt like I had a lot of fat in the list, and I trimmed a lot of surplus points to put MORE GUNZ in the next variation of the list I took to Hellstorm - but I'll write a follow up to that one another day.

Edited by dreadmad