Kill-Team New Edition Box

Lord Marshal

Octarius box is still in stock, will be funny if after everything the first limited plus MTO box doesnt sell out its initial run

Ork dice have sold out

The interesting thing is, with the Metal Combat Gauge Promotion, this is also one of the very few occasions where we get a VERY rough indication of how many products GW have produced and sold.

The T&Cs for the Combat Gauge say there are 27,500 available and will only be applied while stocks last. We can reasonably guess out a few things from this:

• GW had at least 27,500 copies of Kill Team: Octarius available for sale directly through their website
  • As of 3pm BST 15th August fewer than 27,500 copies have been sold direct through GW as the combat gauge was still available
  • Overall production for Kill Team: Octarius almost certainly exceeds 30,000 copies (especially as Dark Sphere are showing that they are supposed to receive 950 copies!)

As a fun point, if GW sells enough copies of the box for the Combat Gauge to run out, they will have sold £3,437,500 worth of boxes (27,500 x £125)

Edited by RWJP

Not needing special dice is a relief. I just feel the cost has taken the wind out of my sails, especially knowing full well that the commendium is very much an index that will be replaced once each faction receives it's own kill team release.

And it seems a bit limited considering they were recently selling kill team boxed with Commander units in them, and that will obviously be another expansion down the line.

Still, people in my scene are playing it so I will invest, grudgingly. And I do appreciate a quicker game considering how busy I have been in recent times.

Why don't you club together to buy books if there's a group? The compendium probably isn't worth one person buying. Several people sharing a copy.

I think the compendium runs into a few problems, its a bit pricy for a get you by book, its not very inspiring and its contents will be available for free on wahaaaaapedia and Battlescribe in a couple of weeks anyway. Obviously the latter point is less useful if you prefer books when you play but its not nothing.

Edited by Noserenda

Octarius box is still in stock, will be funny if after everything the first limited plus MTO box doesnt sell out its initial run

Ork dice have sold out

The interesting thing is, with the Metal Combat Gauge Promotion, this is also one of the very few occasions where we get a VERY rough indication of how many products GW have produced and sold.

The T&Cs for the Combat Gauge say there are 27,500 available and will only be applied while stocks last. We can reasonably guess out a few things from this:

• GW had at least 27,500 copies of Kill Team: Octarius available for sale directly through their website
  • As of 3pm BST 15th August fewer than 27,500 copies have been sold direct through GW as the combat gauge was still available
  • Overall production for Kill Team: Octarius almost certainly exceeds 30,000 copies (especially as Dark Sphere are showing that they are supposed to receive 950 copies!)
As a fun point, if GW sells enough copies of the box for the Combat Gauge to run out, they will have sold £3,437,500 worth of boxes (27,500 x £125)

No wonder the share price is good, that's phenomenal sales figures for what is a niche system within a niche hobby.

Have to say, I am happy with their sales strategy. I work Saturday mornings and it was nice to finish up, come home, shower, bit of grub, sit down at 2pm and order a new release at my leisure.

Ork dice have sold out

Was wondering where the 27500 was coming from

Given trade sells account for half of sales I think we can almost double the 27500

Have to say, I am happy with their sales strategy. I work Saturday mornings and it was nice to finish up, come home, shower, bit of grub, sit down at 2pm and order a new release at my leisure.

Agreed, I think this system has worked really well. Obviously Kill Team is more niche than a regular 40k release, but the fact that the box is still in stock now seems to imply that the queue, 1 box per customer, MtO period and actually getting a good estimate on production has actually worked basically perfectly. 

Given trade sells account for half of sales I think we can almost double the 27500

Definitely. I've seen a number of smaller independent retailers (eg not the size of companies like Element, Wayland or Dark Sphere) reporting an allocation of 16 copies of the box so there is a potential for this to have been a huge production run depending on how many of the 5400 FLGS's on GW's books got that kind of allocation. 

Not needing special dice is a relief. I just feel the cost has taken the wind out of my sails, especially knowing full well that the commendium is very much an index that will be replaced once each faction receives it's own kill team release.

And it seems a bit limited considering they were recently selling kill team boxed with Commander units in them, and that will obviously be another expansion down the line.

Still, people in my scene are playing it so I will invest, grudgingly. And I do appreciate a quicker game considering how busy I have been in recent times.

Why don't you club together to buy books if there's a group? The compendium probably isn't worth one person buying. Several people sharing a copy.

If the average allocation for each of the 5400 independent retailer was 20, not hard to believe when some are getting nearly a thousand and smaller ones getting 16. Then that would be over 130,000 units produced, that'd be massive.

Rik

I think the compendium runs into a few problems, its a bit pricy for a get you by book, its not very inspiring and its contents will be available for free on games-workshop and Battlescribe in a couple of weeks anyway. Obviously the latter point is less useful if you prefer books when you play but its not nothing.

It should have been free in the box, and a free pdf. Selling it at 30£ is just rampant greed knowing that enough fans will buy anything they make.

I've been away from this thread for a while.

I'm kind of excited to see plans for further killzones, hopefully we see the return/redesign of Sector Imperialis terrain as I've a Sector Imperialis Realm of Battle Board and no terrain for it at the moment and it's disappeared.

Agreed, I think this system has worked really well. Obviously Kill Team is more niche than a regular 40k release, but the fact that the box is still in stock now seems to imply that the queue, 1 box per customer, MtO period and actually getting a good estimate on production has actually worked basically perfectly.

Definitely. I've seen a number of smaller independent retailers (eg not the size of companies like Element, Wayland or Dark Sphere) reporting an allocation of 16 copies of the box so there is a potential for this to have been a huge production run depending on how many of the 5400 FLGS's on GW's books got that kind of allocation.

Even if they let FLGS order as many as they wanted (and filter that through to their pre orders) thats a big improvement

Might affect GW direct sales numbers as well as killing off FOMO a little

If every FLGS bought 16 then that is A LOT. But also if 16 was minimum order size then that is harsh on FLGS

Even if they let FLGS order as many as they wanted (and filter that through to their pre orders) thats a big improvement

If every FLGS bought 16 then that is A LOT. But also if 16 was minimum order size then that is harsh on FLGS

From a brief skim of the various GW legal documents they publish, it would appear that the minimum order value is £250, but that only applies if a retailer makes more than 2 orders per week (so order 3 and onwards). The trade price of Octarius is £67.32 so 4 boxes would cover the minimum order value. 

Edited by RWJP

Our local store is a small toy shop. They bought 4. No issues.

I’ve been outta the loop here a bit with lockdowns etc and all manner of crazy life things.

I’m getting the killteam box but should I avoid the compendium?!… is it a waste of money?… if my group is planning on waiting for the new teams to come out with new “Bespoke” rules ?…

We are only planning on playing the boxed teams at the moment so should we skip the compendium ?!?..

Mithril

We are only planning on playing the boxed teams at the moment so should we skip the compendium ?!?..

Mithril

If you have no intent of playing any other factions at all other than the 2 in the octarius box (and eventual future killteam specific ones), yes, the compendium is no value to you. If you might want to play teams made up of models that aren't, that's when you'll need the compendium rules.

Edited by Arkhanist

Ork dice have sold out

Now 23:15 GMT and Combat Gauge is still available. Not sure whether this is a net positive or negative, good that it’s become available for more people, but if they were expecting a sell out (and with the measures taken you’d think they were) will it be seen as a non SM box underselling?

I’ve been outta the loop here a bit with lockdowns etc and all manner of crazy life things.

I’m getting the killteam box but should I avoid the compendium?!… is it a waste of money?… if my group is planning on waiting for the new teams to come out with new “Bespoke” rules ?…

Mithril

If you're only playing with the box teams it's redundant. 

Going forward, it's fair to assume the 'box teams' will be the only ones seeing any kind of relevance to the game at large.

Mithril

I would avoid purchasing it, especially if you are only going to use the box teams.

I'd avoid the $84 book and just use battlescribe. They rules are barebones in the book and not worth even half what they are charging.

All customization is pretty much removed for most factions.

Ork dice have sold out

Now 23:15 GMT and Combat Gauge is still available. Not sure whether this is a net positive or negative, good that it’s become available for more people, but if they were expecting a sell out (and with the measures taken you’d think they were) will it be seen as a non SM box underselling?

I note in the T&Cs that the Combat Gauge promotion is set to run until midnight on Wednesday or until they run out, whichever comes first. So that would imply to me that GW expected it may take more than the weekend for it to sell out. Perhaps that's just a worst-case scenario, but it would imply they at least planned for it.

I do also wonder if this is being affected by the fact there are no Aus/NZ pre-orders. It appears that the 27,500 is the worldwide total, so the fact that there are no Aus/NZ pre-orders is probably making the gauges last longer

Hopefully GW won't view it as a "Oh it wasn't Space Marines so it didn't sell" situation, especially when the Beast Snagga box did sell out. Hopefully they'll see it as a case of "Well, we made enough that they didn't sell out, lets adjust our numbers a little for the next one and see how that does."

Mithril

I would avoid purchasing it, especially if you are only going to use the box teams.

I'd avoid the $84 book and just use battlescribe. They rules are barebones in the book and not worth even half what they are charging.

All customization is pretty much removed for most factions.

yeah, as you & Lord marshall  say ... we will only be using the teams that have the "new rules" so won't need the Compendium Book, i think we're going to look at it as a standalone game like warcry and just get the model sets & Campaign books that they release for it as they come... 

Not that i'm dying to get one but the metal measuring tool is not available down here in Oz anyway so i might as well go to my FLGS if they can get it...

instead of waiting ages for lockdown to lift...heck GW may not even have any left by then plus GW see Oz gamers as the red headed step children of 40k gamers...they know we're here but try not interact with us if they can :tongue.:

Mithril 

Mithril

There might be one guy that buys it to run a kill team from what they already got. I would buy it and run a CSM IW KT. Would work out cheaper in that instance for someone. Playing as xenos or flesh? Disgusting. ;) Edited by MegaVolt87

When I saw the initial reviews of the compendium I was pretty skeptical, but now that all the contents have been uploaded online I'm a lot more excited again. There's still a bit of choice in the list building, and there's a LOT more pregame options to pick. The equipment looks really exciting, and the pre-turning point stratagems often really change how the team plays for a turn. Plus, the rosters seem really fun, especially for elite teams. Space marines can fit four completely separate kill teams into their roster, picking a different one each round of a tournament! Not to mention the different secondarys and the system for different secondarys based on the type of team seems great. While its not perfect, and very different than KT18, I'm definitely excited and can't wait to give it a shot

No Aus/Nz (and areas they supply) would definitely affect sales unless theres stock reserved for there

Could be a few things:

*They overestimated in general or for other reasons eg overcompensation for Cursed City

*No marines.

*10 Krieg not being worth €155

*Orks just got a lot of stuff which satiated those players, dice sold out though

*Negative PR of late/general moaning/Funky measurement system

*Knowing Templars and HH boxes are coming

*Lack of excitement over compendium leaks/reviews

*End of covid measures especially in UK; end of the pandemic bump

All that said even selling 35-40k of this box would be impressive and more than Dark Imperium. Also dont know how many just bought the rulebook

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I don’t know if it’s the same for a lot of other people, but the minute they revealed that new KT had a wildly different system from 40K my interest in it vanished. I simply have no time nor the will to learn a different game with different mechanics.

It wasn’t even a matter of price or content of the starter box, but the game system itself.

On top of that, the severe limitations to KT composition compared to the past and the lack of point costs were the nail in the coffin, at least for me.

Any KT product I might buy in the future will be only due to the possibility of using it in 40K proper.

I don’t know if it’s the same for a lot of other people, but the minute they revealed that new KT had a wildly different system from 40K my interest in it vanished. I simply have no time nor the will to learn a different game with different mechanics.

It wasn’t even a matter of price or content of the starter box, but the game system itself.

On top of that, the severe limitations to KT composition compared to the past and the lack of point costs were the nail in the coffin, at least for me.

Any KT product I might buy in the future will be only due to the possibility of using it in 40K proper.

I'm very much at the opposite end of your spectrum. I like the fact it'll be something different and self contained. I was sold on the models and scenery. The game is just added gravy to be honest.