Kill-Team New Edition Box

Lord Marshal

Will be interesting to see if the there will be a real starter box… with the quarterly boxes it kind of seems implausible to me since I wouldn’t expect them to keep adding the rule book so often it’s just added cost that seems unnecessary

The Previous KT boxes were selling out at about that rate and they confirmed they wont reprint this box so no reason not to believe they wont keep a starter product on the shelves.

I just got an e mail from my Flgs that they where getting 16 pre-order boxes. Today they got the info from GW they can order as many as they want.

So it does indeed seem they did artificially increase the scarcity in order to bolster their own store, which did not sell out yet.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Its almost certainly not creating artificial scarcity, just reallocating stock after the weekend preorders (which are gonna be 99% of the preorders). They didnt sell as many as expected so there is more for everyone. They have to limit LGS orders in proportion to their usual sales as i know some LGS' definitely got a LOT more than 16.

Its almost certainly not creating artificial scarcity, just reallocating stock after the weekend preorders (which are gonna be 99% of the preorders). They didnt sell as many as expected so there is more for everyone. They have to limit LGS orders in proportion to their usual sales as i know some LGS' definitely got a LOT more than 16.

Well I guess you are right. I just repeated the wording of the e mail that I got today. The owner of the store was not happy for obvious reasons.

Anyways I guess it's a good thing that there was more stock then expected to be needed right away.

I'm interested to see if I actually get my order in the next two weeks now.

Will be interesting to see if the there will be a real starter box… with the quarterly boxes it kind of seems implausible to me since I wouldn’t expect them to keep adding the rule book so often it’s just added cost that seems unnecessary

The Previous KT boxes were selling out at about that rate and they confirmed they wont reprint this box so no reason not to believe they wont keep a starter product on the shelves.

While this is/might be true, it would be easy to keep pointing at those boxes and tell newcomers to get one of those + basic rule book + that box with barricades and gauges

Anyway, this is probably worth it’s own thread…

They'll do a "small format" rulebook just like the core rules you get for 40k with the Chapter Approved and that's printed in all the Crusade books too.

That's what will be in future 2 player "starter sets", or just buy the "faction box & big rulebook" if you already have terrain, faction boxes will turn up soon and will probably have reference cards in them.

Faction boxes will be along the lines of £30 for 5 Intercessors with an upgrade sprue and Kill Team stats, or £35 for 10 with out that stuff. Repeat as necessary in fire team sizes.

On that note, how well do fire team sizes compare to sprue distribution I wonder?

Rik

Well I guess you are right. I just repeated the wording of the e mail that I got today. The owner of the store was not happy for obvious reasons.

Anyways I guess it's a good thing that there was more stock then expected to be needed right away.

I'm interested to see if I actually get my order in the next two weeks now.

Yeah ive been there as a store owner in the past, though in my case it was arguing over Space Hulk reboot boxes :D All depends on how much they order assuming things havent changed too much over the years. Its definitely good to see them making the copies available rather than hoarding them! :)  

While this is/might be true, it would be easy to keep pointing at those boxes and tell newcomers to get one of those + basic rule book + that box with barricades and gauges

Anyway, this is probably worth it’s own thread…

Eh, thats a pretty unappealing setup tbh, buy this box plus another £50 of stuff is always going to be a harder sell than a box that just costs a little more, thats certainly something GW has long recognised, even having extra rulebooks floating around cheaply second hand pays off for them potentially pulling in extra customers after all.

There were "more than expected and previously allocated" at one of my FLGS from the GW agent and my January preorder turned into "we'll have one in two weeks for you". And they're still getting the January wave coming.

Maybe if it was a little bit cheaper it may have gone like hot cakes…
I’m glad I was able to get a copy at least, no cursed city or beast snagga problems to deal with this time :sweat: 

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

The thing is we don't have any actual numbers on the amount of units Dominion, Indomitus, Cursed City and so on GW actually sold, so any and all "comparisons" about KT:Octarius underselling compared to those boxes is complete and utter speculation.

In fact, we don't even know how many units Octarius has sold so far, we just know it's not 27,500. They could have sold 21,000, while Cursed City only sold 12000 but that was the entire production, so Cursed City looks more popular despite selling half as many copies. Same with Dominion; it could very easily have outsold Indomitus on it's initial weekend and we wouldn't know, because all we see is "is it available to order", not the numbers produced and numbers sold.

The models in Octarius are awesome; however, the cost for just wanting the models was way too high for me to justify purchasing. I hope to purchase models separately and soon. I had to finally draw a line the sand as far as spending. I came came very close to purchasing and I’m glad I didn’t, but damn those orks are amazing!

This is the second big ‘one print run and done’ that they have not sold out on, by a long way by the look of things. This and the Dominion box. Personally I feel they are just rehashing things too quickly. Did AOS really need a new version this quickly? Same with Kill Team.

The current public relation disasters might be a factor as well but I’m not sure how much of an impact that kind of thing really has. If the product is good enough people will buy.

I considered this release but when I saw that they were just straight up taking the piss with the cost of the compendium I just bailed on the whole thing.

If this had been a starter set HH release, Epic starter set, Emperors Children or World Eaters I would have been all over it.

As always with the internet the most vocal tend to be in the minority.

AoS was ready for a new edition (3 years have passed) and kill team was a mess without a purpose. It and combat patrol were arguably at odds so it needed something new. KT looks like it will achieve that.

The compendium ultimately is the cost of a codex. Generally we play with friends so everyone chipping in for the local group's compendium as a tie over isn't unreasonable.

Also just because you didn't want it, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't. I've grabbed two KT boxes myself. As always individual mileage will vary but don't assume your view is the only one which is how it comes across. KT and dominion may not have sold out but that doesn't mean they haven't been popular. I'd wager they've overproduced based on the success of Indomitus. Time will tell

Ultimately better off having too many produced than a cursed city repeat.

I never assume my view is the only one, that's why I prefaced it with "Personally". However looking at the facts, this has not been as popular as they were expecting (and they have all the sales figures), why else did they set up a 'made to order' (which was not used in the end) and they are now offloading extra boxes to FLGS

I'm not a GW hater at all, although I would not work for them. I like the look of the rules for this and I may jump later, but at the moment I'm not inclined to buy because other things are taking my interest currently, the price of the compendium is too high and they way they treated James Hewitt was a disgrace. I obviously don't speak for others but you just need to look at their social media to see that there is a sizable minority who are not happy with the company at the moment. I am merely speculating as to whether this is a factor in them not meeting the sales they expected or is something else at play? 

As for having too much stock, that is not better than a cursed city repeat. Ultimately some of it may end up in landfill as a total loss. The too much stock debacle of Gorkamorka had serious long term repercussions for the company, to the point that people lost their jobs and the company ultimately withdrew from all other games apart from 40K, WFB and LOTR. I don't think this is in the same ball park by any means and it may still be a successful release for them, however it's clearly not been as successful as they hoped. 

This is the second big ‘one print run and done’ that they have not sold out on, by a long way by the look of things. This and the Dominion box. Personally I feel they are just rehashing things too quickly. Did AOS really need a new version this quickly? Same with Kill Team.

The current public relation disasters might be a factor as well but I’m not sure how much of an impact that kind of thing really has. If the product is good enough people will buy.

I considered this release but when I saw that they were just straight up taking the piss with the cost of the compendium I just bailed on the whole thing.

If this had been a starter set HH release, Epic starter set, Emperors Children or World Eaters I would have been all over it.

AoS was ready for a new edition (3 years have passed) and kill team was a mess without a purpose. It and combat patrol were arguably at odds so it needed something new. KT looks like it will achieve that.

The compendium ultimately is the cost of a codex. Generally we play with friends so everyone chipping in for the local group's compendium as a tie over isn't unreasonable.

Also just because you didn't want it, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't. I've grabbed two KT boxes myself. As always individual mileage will vary but don't assume your view is the only one which is how it comes across. KT and dominion may not have sold out but that doesn't mean they haven't been popular. I'd wager they've overproduced based on the success of Indomitus. Time will tell

I never assume my view is the only one, that's why I prefaced it with "Personally". However looking at the facts, this has not been as popular as they were expecting (and they have all the sales figures), why else did they set up a 'made to order' (which was not used in the end) and they are now offloading extra boxes to FLGS.

I'm not a GW hater at all, although I would not work for them. I like the look of the rules for this and I may jump later, but at the moment I'm not inclined to buy because other things are taking my interest currently, the price of the compendium is too high and they way they treated James Hewitt was a disgrace. I obviously don't speak for others but you just need to look at their social media to see that there is a sizable minority who are not happy with the company at the moment. I am merely speculating as to whether this is a factor in them not meeting the sales they expected or is something else at play?

As for having too much stock, that is not better than a cursed city repeat. Ultimately some of it may end up in landfill as a total loss. The too much stock debacle of Gorkamorka had serious long term repercussions for the company, to the point that people lost their jobs and the company ultimately withdrew from all other games apart from 40K, WFB and LOTR. I don't think this is in the same ball park by any means and it may still be a successful release for them, however it's clearly not been as successful as they hoped.

The minority on social media is a tiny percentage of Gw’s customers. They are just very loud, so seems like they are more important than they actually are.

I never assume my view is the only one, that's why I prefaced it with "Personally". However looking at the facts, this has not been as popular as they were expecting (and they have all the sales figures), why else did they set up a 'made to order' (which was not used in the end) and they are now offloading extra boxes to FLGS.

We've no idea how many they've sold

=][= This topic is soley for the discussion of the new Killteam boxed game =][=

Get back on track or it’s daemon hammer time. ;)

Personally I’m glad to see some fresh air being blown through Killteam as it’s an excellent gateway game and excuse to paint a lovely variety of new minis to. Looking forward to seeing the minis in the flesh soon!

BCC

Personally I’m glad to see some fresh air being blown through Killteam as it’s an excellent gateway game and excuse to paint a lovely variety of new minis to. Looking forward to seeing the minis in the flesh soon!

BCC

Only 2 more sleeps for me :sweat:  ... I might take some happy snaps of the sprues and post em in killteam forum.

I'm a bit torn as to whether i get the Compendium... i watched the review video in the KT subforum and it seems ok...i kept some Grey Knight models just in case i could make a team and yes it's easily doable :thumbsup: . 

I must check how much that dang Compendium book is on Saturday morning when i get my  KT box... 

Mithril

BCC

Only 2 more sleeps for me :sweat: ... I might take some happy snaps of the sprues and post em in killteam forum.

I'm a bit torn as to whether i get the Compendium... i watched the review video in the KT subforum and it seems ok...i kept some Grey Knight models just in case i could make a team and yes it's easily doable :thumbsup: .

I must check how much that dang Compendium book is on Saturday morning when i get my KT box...

Mithril

It was a 2 week preorder bud so it's not actually out until the 28th.....unless your stores giving you it a week early I suppose.

BCC

Only 2 more sleeps for me :sweat: ... I might take some happy snaps of the sprues and post em in killteam forum.

I'm a bit torn as to whether i get the Compendium... i watched the review video in the KT subforum and it seems ok...i kept some Grey Knight models just in case i could make a team and yes it's easily doable :thumbsup: .

I must check how much that dang Compendium book is on Saturday morning when i get my KT box...

Mithril

It was a 2 week preorder bud so it's not actually out until the 28th.....unless your stores giving you it a week early I suppose.

You sure about that? I thought the 2 week was more for the MTO. Might inquire at my lfgs.

Yup 28th release. Bugger.

Edited by matcap86

The models in Octarius are awesome; however, the cost for just wanting the models was way too high for me to justify purchasing. I hope to purchase models separately and soon. I had to finally draw a line the sand as far as spending. I came came very close to purchasing and I’m glad I didn’t, but damn those orks are amazing!

This has been my thought too; even at £93 (at Dark Sphere) it feels like too much, yet I wonder about it in relation to Dark Uprising.

How many sprues of terrain in this versus that?

I think 4 (new) building sprues, 1 (new) oil well, 1 (old?) barrier sprue, 1 (old) scrap heap sprue, 1 (new) gauge & barricades sprue. So 8 terrain sprues. As well as 10 new Krieg + 12 new Ork/Grot/Squig minis (22 minis)

DU had 6 column sprues, 4 platform sprues, 4 wall sprues, 1 (old) pipes sprue, and 1 (old) barricade sprue. So 16 terrain/accesssory sprues. As well as 15 new CGC + 11 Enforcers (26 real, mostly new, minis)

A fascinating comparison - but does it suggest one box is either more expensive than it needs to be, or one was rather underpriced by this weird metric.

This has been my thought too; even at £93 (at Dark Sphere) it feels like too much, yet I wonder about it in relation to Dark Uprising.

How many sprues of terrain in this versus that?

I think 4 (new) building sprues, 1 (new) oil well, 1 (old?) barrier sprue, 1 (old) scrap heap sprue, 1 (new) gauge & barricades sprue. So 8 terrain sprues. As well as 10 new Krieg + 12 new Ork/Grot/Squig minis (22 minis)

DU had 6 column sprues, 4 platform sprues, 4 wall sprues, 1 (old) pipes sprue, and 1 (old) barricade sprue. So 16 terrain/accesssory sprues. As well as 15 new CGC + 11 Enforcers (26 real, mostly new, minis)

A fascinating comparison - but does it suggest one box is either more expensive than it needs to be, or one was rather underpriced by this weird metric.

I think the prices feel okay relative to each other; the terrain in Octarius feels like slightly less than half the value of the box (call it £50), and Dark Uprising had twice as much for a £50 higher RRP, so that seems to check out.

That said I think the RRP of both boxes is at least £25 more expensive than it should be.