I have to ask about the Black Templars

Valkyrion

Historical based German color sheme (Teutonic Knights).

Isn't the scheme the Knights Hospitaller?

ngcb20

Black Templar use a Black Cross on White like Teutonic Knights and a Red Cross for veterans as per 4th Edition Codex.

• 1 month later...

We know from the HH series that the two lost Primarchs are locked in vaults, heavily shielded by Psy and automated defenses.  We know those marines of the legions were spread at a minimum between Guilliman and Dorn.  If not three or four Legions in total. 

Whats your source on that - is it 'The Chamber at the end of Memory' short story, or have i missed some more juicy info?

Anything on the two lost legions always has me interested :)

(sorry for slight necro)

We know from the HH series that the two lost Primarchs are locked in vaults, heavily shielded by Psy and automated defenses.  We know those marines of the legions were spread at a minimum between Guilliman and Dorn.  If not three or four Legions in total. 

Whats your source on that - is it 'The Chamber at the end of Memory' short story, or have i missed some more juicy info?

Anything on the two lost legions always has me interested :smile.:

(sorry for slight necro)

You are correct sir, for the primary source.   Supporting secondary sources are scattered through the HH series and most pointedly in the "Betrayal at Calth" and "Know No Fear" where both sides have asides talking about the subject.  Mostly that number expansion for the Ultras came from folding in other Legions marines.

The rest is theory scaffolded by asking critical questions of the lore.   Personally I hope we never have a definitive answer, but the breadcrumbs are most certainly tasty.

You are correct sir, for the primary source.   Supporting secondary sources are scattered through the HH series and most pointedly in the "Betrayal at Calth" and "Know No Fear" where both sides have asides talking about the subject.  Mostly that number expansion for the Ultras came from folding in other Legions marines.

The rest is theory scaffolded by asking critical questions of the lore.   Personally I hope we never have a definitive answer, but the breadcrumbs are most certainly tasty.

Absolutely - while part of me wants to know, its the mystery that draws me in, I hope they continue to tease and hint via BL

What captured the Templars for me, was the fact they were extremely rebellious loyalists. They were 100% absolutely true to the imperium and it's goals as imagined by The Emperor himself, but were going to go about instituting it their own way and no one was going to tell them otherwise. 

That sort of attitude matches my own personality to a T, then you have models like Sword Brethren and The Emperors Champion and images of Assault Terminators storming out of LRC's on the tabletop were the nail in the coffin. 

Aesthetically, IMO of course, no chapter even comes close to BT. With a tad bit of effort you can turn their simplistic color scheme into an ornate tide of black beauty. 

I was immediately drawn to their color scheme in 2nd edition, and have never played another chapter, or army, since.  

I play Black Templars primarily because of the aesthetic. I love (real world) history and am a massive nerd when it comes to the Knightly Orders of old.

Also, the Templars, with their fanatical religious devotion, are the polar opposite to me as a person.

As someone who is a huge believer of creating my army lists to follow the fluff, I love the fact that Black Templars have no real Company Organisation, like a lot of the First Founding Chapters.

(My OCD has killed dead a lot of projects for other Chapters, because I must rigidly stick to the 6-2-2 of Battle Line, Close Support and Fire Support if I wanted to do a full Company of Ultramarines, for example)

Except the Space Wolves. But they are Doggy people, drink too much beer, etc, which is far too much like me as a person in real life.

I started collecting and playing Templars when Codex Armageddon was released. At the time they offered a 10 man squad all equipped with bolt pistol/ chain sword, which was appealing for their initial play style. The Emperor’s Champion and the Lad Raider Crusader were the two main draw for me rules wise. For what background what was available at the time, I thought they seemed like an unstoppable righteous and zealous force. I felt that they were the only chapter still crusading for the emperor 10,000 years later.

The 4th edition codex and plastics they released really fleshed them out, and I absolutely loved playing them. The 5th edition combat consolidation rules completely gutted one of their primary features, and they really suffered for it. I kept building and painting to have a massive Apocalypse sized force, but most 5th edition armies left them behind. Once 6th launched and they officially lost their codex I quit playing 40k. I still build and paint, but this new codex coming is 4 editions too late for me. I hope it brings greatness back to the templars for everyone still playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Aesthetically, IMO of course, no chapter even comes close to BT.

I just wish GW had fully "leaned into it". Don't get me wrong, the Sword Brethren models for example are great, and I like the tabard look in general... but man, actual full tabards - as in not just the front - would just be awesome. Of course it seems with the Primaris we're  seemingly limited to even less cloth at least for troops, if the flamer guy is anything to go by - but at least it means Bladeguard fits right in with some of the models. But it'll certainly be interesting to see the new Sword Brethren.

On the thread topic in general... yeah, I reckon most of the reasons have come up by now. For me personally they were my first army nine years ago - well, technically I got  the first Orks at the same time, but only played them later - and it was indeed color scheme combined with knightly melee-focused ultra-zealots with a highly independent streak, crusading forever across the void of space. I recall reading stuff on the 40k Wikia as I was researching chapters and some of the lore, and they definitely caught my fancy the most. We shall see how this new release changes things. I was writing a longer musing on that, but since it's not really on topic anymore I'll just post it in my ol' Crusade thread instead.