Black Templar Teaser and Rumors

Acebaur

Did you guys notice that the prayer the narrator says in the teaser is from the old codex? It's the Suffer Not the Unclean to Live vow

Yeah I was super hyped once I started hearing the speech, I think this will be what we were supposed to get during 6th and whoever is writing it clearly likes us or has at least put enough effort to look at what we had and build upon it just like every other chapter has had their mechanics carried over and expanded edition after edition because to me once I started hearing the Emperor's Champion vow the only thing I kept thinking was "They remembered!" so maybe all these rumors of Vows coming in some way are true and thats absolutely hype as heck, easily one of the main reasons I play Black Templars.

Did you guys notice that the prayer the narrator says in the teaser is from the old codex? It's the Suffer Not the Unclean to Live vow

Yeah I was super hyped once I started hearing the speech, I think this will be what we were supposed to get during 6th and whoever is writing it clearly likes us or has at least put enough effort to look at what we had and build upon it just like every other chapter has had their mechanics carried over and expanded edition after edition because to me once I started hearing the Emperor's Champion vow the only thing I kept thinking was "They remembered!" so maybe all these rumors of Vows coming in some way are true and thats absolutely hype as heck, easily one of the main reasons I play Black Templars.

It's not only that they had the EC reciting the vow literally verbatim from the 4th ed book, it's all the subtlety that was tied in along with it. 

Think of the introduction, which was basically the reveal of the octarius (however it is spelled) campaign, a huge war is going on in an entire system, and imperial interjection is unavoidable. A crusade fleet heading into the system KNOWS they are going to see combat, and what do Templars do on the eve of such an event? They gather, they pray, and a marine is granted the vision. This is all represented by that image of him kneeling before the alter, after all of us being told a massive war is on the horizon. It was masterful. 

They open the scene with the vow, because before we went into battle, we had to choose one right? Their vow is sworn and the crusade has begun, this is a subtle clue that our refresh is coming and it is going to be big. 

The other bit, is the EC's backpack. Pure homage to our previous upgrade sprue, indicating another is on the way, and will be in keeping with the times. 

Just in these few things, it is absolutely clear to me someone went through that 4th edition codex with enough time and care to understand where it is the chapter comes from, and where we want it to be. 

That reveal was.............. revealing....

I noticed it after I heard the secound word. I flipped out like my Team has scored a goal.

We watched it together in our gaming club summer fest.

@Trignama... especially the conflict that BT intervene  a conflict between 2 other enemies like in the old 4th edition codex. I remember the story  where an Imperial space station is attacked by Dark Eldar and craftworld Eldar attack them. When the BT arrive they attack both. And Octarius is the same - just in a bigger scale

Edited by Medjugorje

From the very first line. Didn't everyone? :biggrin.:

Yup, it had my undivided attention at that point and on full screen.

Edited by Eberious

OK, wait a sec. Somebody please tell me, this can't be happening during the Second Cleansing of Lastrati? It's all the way back in M36, but the crusade shield matches.

The only other clue I recognize is the half black / half red coloring of the Maltese Cross, which would make it... Declates? I'd be beside myself with joy if that's true.

aCsdSS1.png

It could be the same ships, the Crusades may change name, but the core is continuous.

If I were to try and connect what's happening in the trailer, to the "current" events in 40k, this is the most likely option in my opinion. 

Otherwise, it could be that its intended as a time snapshot of the period suggested. Cool either way.

Regardless, I don't think it'll have any bearing on the actual release itself. The rumors have consistantly been that this is a primaris refresh, all units will be primaris ones (discussions of the technical state on wether a neophyte is a primaris marine or not, or at what point, aside), all the characters have crossed the rubicon, etc. That places the content squarely in the era indomitus.

Of course, it could be that the rumors are in fact all wrong (highly doubtful at this point, pictures have allegedly been seen etc)

but could also be that the teaser, while having a lot of bearing on things to come, does not mean that the upcoming release, smack middle in the primaris era of space marine releases, will suddenly dive back 4000 years and do a focus on a historical event that's not the horus heresy. 

I personally think its just a matter of the artis taking a lot of cue's from our old 4th edition tome of wisdom in the artwork they drew. It's a cool nod to our past regardless.

I am curious to see how GW handles the next generation of crusader squads.

Lore-wise it would make sense to have scouts, first-born, and primaris marines all able to join one squad, especially if you think in terms of an ongoing crusade. 

Rules-wise we know they have not done this previously. Deathwatch and Space Wolves can both mix different armor types in a squad but the firstborn/primaris divide remains even there. 

Fingers crossed for something satisfying on both levels.

Here’s a far fetched hope. That we as a chapter (and only us!) get to put primaris into land raider crusaders.

Fully mixed crusader squads are also something I have an almost physical lust for.

And finally bringing back some form of:

Favored enemy: EVERYONE

I don’t think any of those things will happen but I’m currently elated anyway!

I highly doubt we shall see scouts in the same unit as Primaris. Just being honest here.

Why exactly? That mixture of units IS what a Crusader squad has always been and Deathwatch has already provided mixed Primaris units, so whats so unbelievable about Scouts and Primaris in one unit?

I highly doubt we shall see scouts in the same unit as Primaris. Just being honest here.

Why exactly? That mixture of units IS what a Crusader squad has always been and Deathwatch has already provided mixed Primaris units, so whats so unbelievable about Scouts and Primaris in one unit?

Not going to happen. Even Death-Watch, the chapter built around mixing units, doesn't allow for "Classic" and "Primaris" in the same squad.

Also, Scouts are trash now anyway. If I was you guys I would be expecting a whole new variant of the model with better statline and wargear. Why would I waste valuable transport space on Scouts if I can have far superior Primaris infantry. I know there is a lore and tradition here, but all these new units that are apparently coming are designed to refresh and shake things up.

You guys have waited a LONG time for this, and I'm excited to see what GW do because it will indicate the likely direction and quality of future chapter specific units.

Edited by Ishagu

Not going to happen. Even Death-Watch, the chapter built around mixing units, doesn't allow for "Classic" and "Primaris" in the same squad.

Also, Scouts are trash now anyway. If I was you guys I would be expecting a whole new variant of the model with better statline and wargear. Why would I waste valuable transport space on Scouts if I can have far superior Primaris infantry. I know there is a lore and tradition here, but all these new units that are apparently coming are designed to refresh and shake things up.

You guys have waited a LONG time for this, and I'm excited to see what GW do because it will indicate the likely direction and quality of future chapter specific units.

Well its happening.

Trash or not it's coming.

Well its happening.

Trash or not it's coming.

What is? Mixed Primaris infantry and the old Scout modesls?

Few things would be uglier on the tabletop lol. The Scout models are utterly horrible to look at with their tiny squat bodies, silly poses, ugly fat heads. They'll look like deformed children standing next to Primaris Tacticus-clad Marines.

I'd rather GW release a new Primaris neophyte model over using the old stuff, even if the stat-line is the same!

Edited by Ishagu