New/homebrew tank ideas

Evil Eye

When it comes to armies with lots of tanks you can't go wrong with the Guard, and even other factions sometimes make use of Guard vehicles (R&H and GSC spring to mind). And as we all know, you can never have too many tanks- so let's make some new ones!

I'll start the ball rolling with this conversion I've had in mind for a while- the Unicorn Light Tank. It's very WIP at the moment, and actually destined for my Genestealer Cults, but anyway.

A rare tank based on the Chimera chassis, the Unicorn is a light and fast "cruiser tank" intended to bring heavy weapons to bear on a tougher body than, say, a Sentinel. Sacrificing transport for an improved engine and heavier weapons, the Unicorn's turret is usually armed with a lascannon, plasma cannon or assault cannon, though other armaments are sometimes utilized. Whilst not as durable or as heavily armed as a Leman Russ, it is much more mobile and fuel efficient, and the lascannon variant makes for an excellent tank hunter. Unfortunately the main forge world that produced them, Ambithan, was overrun by Orks, and so they are few in number and hard to find parts for.

K925zii.jpg

Edited by Evil Eye

+++Opening Extract+++

+++Password Request+++
[* ************ *]

+++Password Accepted+++

… Loading
… Loading
… Loading

[*Corilithian Armoured Evolution: Extract Chimera IFV*]

…Written by Corilithian Armoured Union scribe, Harion Talo.

…Corilithia I, Corilithian Armoured Union Administration Building.

… 999050.M41 Standard Imperial Dating System.

The Chimera IFV, the standard transport used by the Emperors mechanized regiments and independent companies. A vehicle which has been deployed all across the Imperium and an armoured fighting vehicle that has seen all the enemies of man; those from without and from within. It should be noted that this scribe has never seen war with his own eyes and as such the details recorded are of the opinions of those who have served in His majesties service. The vehicles widespread use is even known to spread into the other tendrils of Imperial service, detailed accounts state of vehicle numbers being used by the Holy Inquisition, Sisters of Battle, the Adeptus Arbities, the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Adeptus Astarties. It is a vehicle which has stood the test of time, similar to the venerable Leman Russ Battle Tank and her variants but time has not been kind. Corilithian committee consisting of representatives from the Adeptus Mechanicus of the Seventh, numerous high ranking members of the Imperial Guard, members of my own organisation and thousands of letters from vehicle operator's; surviving or otherwise. It is hard to tell, the state of the Imperium fluctuates daily. Planets falling or being reclaimed, troops dying by the millions, it's a startling thought.

Typical Corilithian Chimeras are, at current, constructed as per universal STC. The most common variant being the M1A2 Chimera. A designation given to the armoured vehicle by the Tech Magos of the Seventh. The M1A2 is armed with the traditional turret Multilaser, hull mounted Heavy Bolter and cupola mounted Heavy Stubber; complimented by a protective gun-shield. The gun-shield was missing on the M1A1 variant and was installed as a stopgap after numerous reports of vehicle commander losses when manning the armament. Front armour protection is modest, generally thick enough to deflect or absorb shots from 'medium' munitions for example: enemy Autocannons, Missile Launchers, Battlecannons or xeno equivalent. Side and rear armour are minimalistic at best, ordinance testing performed by the Corilithian Armoured union has produced frightening results. With armoured units being penetrated by rapid bolter fire, reports again have shown other stop gaps performed by experienced crews themselves. With armoured crews forging side and engine plates out of flakboard, or other localised building material such as timbers, corrugated iron and even going as far as building wire-mesh boxes filled with sandbags. The M1A3 has attempted to rectify this drawback with the addition of armoured side-skirts to the hull and turret basket.

The M1A1 and its variants have had a famed history. Though its proposed replacement has taken its numerous adjustments and continued to improved upon them. Corilithian Armoured Union has worked tirelessly to expand the vehicles turret basket for up-gunning; introducing an Autocannon as standard complete with a coaxial Heavy Bolter. The rear turret plate has mounting available for additional external stowage bins similar to Leman Russ Tanks, or power generators similar to the Astarties Predator Annihilator. Current weapons testing proves promising and production models are already being allocated to forming regiments or those returning that seek retrofitting. This latest model is simply referred to as the M2A1 Chimera, with alternate variants currently undergoing manufacturing. 

ZkTcpR8.jpg

Original model drawn by 2kuhl4you, edited by me.

… Corilithian M2B1 Chimera, the first variant of the new series. As seen it has replaced the now standard autocannon with an anti-armour lascannon. Current doctrine states that 1 vehicle out of every squadron must be of model B. This vehicle is still under factory primer and is currently missing its smoke launchers and armoured side-skirts.

Planned production models are as follows:

- M2A1: The new standard for Corilithian Mechanized Infantry units, equipped with new standardized Autocannon, coaxial Heavy Bolter, and cupola mounted Heavy Stubber; with matching gun-shield. The introduction of a gun mantlet has added modest protection to the turrets frontal armour and the continuation of armoured side-skirts is widely believed to be a median of providing additional thickness without compromising the vehicles weight or classification. 

- M2B1: The second vehicle designed under new Corilithian Mechanized Doctrine. Replacing the new turret Autocannon with that of a Lascannon allowing vehicle crews; and to an extent attached squadrons units or allocated infantry squads, further anti-armour abilities. 

- M2C1: In place of a troop compartment the M2C1; otherwise know as M2 Command is equipped with additional navigational, long-range and back-up communication equipment. This communication equipment is powered by its own dedicated generator, which allows the vehicle to maintain contact with command units up to the regimental level. This scribe would like to point out a design oversight with the development of the M2C1 and to an extent the M2B1 combat vehicles. It should be noted that enemies can easily identify command units by the large whip antennas mounted on the rear turret plate. As with the M2B1 enemy heavy armour could easily single out and eliminate anti armoured units before retaliation, leaving the rest of its squadron defenceless. In a sense.

- M2D1: The second variant lacking a troop compartment, instead this variant trades its coaxial Heavy Bolter for an additional Autocannon. More so a light tank, designed for heavy suppression or driving off low lying aircraft with its twin barreled Autocannons. Its crew compartment has been converted to hold additional ammunition and its more powerful drive core. 

- M2E1: The brother of the D1, with a similar comparison to the A1 and B1. This Chimera has replaced its coaxial Heavy Bolter for an additional lascannon, a fast vehicle designed to strike at enemy armours flanks with its twin-linked AT firepower. 

- M2F1: Otherwise known as the Chimera Calliope, its turret weapons have been reduced to a pair of twin-linked Heavy Stubbers in order to accommodate its new primary armament. The Chimera is fitted with 8 Hunter Killer Missiles in a raft-like array mounted above its turret, rigged to fire in rapid succession at any target designated by its commander. Trading out its transport compartment for additional missile storage.

- M2G1: Also known as the M2 Chimedon. The Chimedon is armed with a turret-mounted Conqueror Cannon and coaxial heavy stubber for added firepower, giving its company supporting fire comparative to that of a Leman Russ. Trading out its transport compartment for additional shell storage.

- M2H1: A variant designed for punching through prepared positions or slagging heavy vehicles at close range. The M2H1 replaces the standard Autocannon for a Multi-melta.

- M2I1: Designation skipped.

- M2J1: An uncommon variant employed almost exclusively to the Adeptus Mechanicus. The M2I1 Chimera retains its transport capacity, with its only difference being in turret weaponry. Swapping out the standard Autocannon for that of the rare Plasma cannon. 

[*End Extract*]

Edited by jarms48

Not an interesting lore piece like I did up earlier, but here's some more ideas for alternate LoW choices:

Baneblade Variants:

- Doomsword: 370 points. Armed with Turbo-laser destructor. 72", Heavy 2D3, S16, AP-4, Damage D6+3, Blast.

An alternative to the Banesword and its Quake cannon, higher strength, better damage potential, but half the shots. 

- Shadowhammer: 430 points. Armed with Heavy inferno gun. 24", Heavy 4D6, S7, AP-3, Damage 3, Each time an attack is made with this weapon, that attack automatically hits the target.

If a Shadowhammer is reduced to 0 wounds, roll a D6 before removing it from the battlefield. On a 4+ it explodes, and each unit within 6" suffers 2D6 mortal wounds.

Macharius Variants:

We've got the Octoblade that comes in one kit, I think it's time for a plastic Octomach.

- Macharius Heavy Tank: 300 points. As is now.

- Macharius Vanquisher: 300 points. As is now.

- Macharius Sword: 330 points. Armed with a Stormsword siege cannon. 36", Heavy 2D6, S10, AP-4, Damage D6, Blast. Units attacked by this weapon do not gain any bonus to their saving throws for being in cover. Re-roll damage rolls of 1 for this weapon.

- Macharius Tremor: 330 points. Armed with a Tremor cannon. 60", Heavy 3D6, S8, AP-2, Damage 3, Blast. If a unit is hit by this weapon, in their following Movement phase they must halve their Move characteristic and cannot Advance.

- Macharius Magma: 340 points. Armed with a Magma cannon. 60", Heavy 2D6, S10, AP-5, Damage D6, Blast. If the target is within half range of this weapon, roll two dice when inflicting damage with it and discard the lowest result.

- Macharius Blade: 350 points. Armed with a Baneblade cannon. 72", Heavy 3D6, S9, AP-3, Damage 3, Blast.

- Macharius Vulcan: 350 points. Heavy 20 (to match the Stormlord).

- Macharius Hammer: 370 points. Armed with a Hellhammer cannon. 36", Heavy 3D6, S10, AP-4, Damage 3, Blast. Units attacked by this weapon do not gain any bonus to their saving throws for being in cover.

Turreted versions would be:

- Macharius Blade

- Macharius Hammer

- Macharius Heavy Tank

- Macharius Vanquisher

- Macharius Vulcan

Casemate versions would be:

- Macharius Magma

- Macharius Omega (Legends)

- Macharius Sword

- Macharius Tremor

For anyone who doesn't think a Baneblade or Hellhammer cannon wouldn't fit into a Macharius turret please refer to this image. Their turrets are actually very similar in size, perhaps with the autocannon replaced with a heavy stubber to save space. It could even be possible for them to be "field conversions" by salvaging the turrets from knocked out Baneblades and instead placing them onto a Macharius hull, perhaps with an adaptor ring if required. 

Regarding the Omega staying in Legends status, it just doesn't fit the theme for me. When I say casemate version it means something akin to an Assault Gun or Tank Destroyer, like the other casemate vehicles. Basically, you remove the Macharius tanks hull twin heavy stubber and build a housing for a fixed gun (with some degree of swivel to either side).

Edited by jarms48

Nice! Funnily enough I also had an idea for a super-heavy named Doomsword, albeit featuring four Leman Russ turrets with access to the full gamut of LR weapons, inspired heavily by the interwar multi-turret tank concept (see the Independent and the T-35). I know the Stormhammer is a thing but that only has two turrets, one of which is on a fixed traverse.

Nice! Funnily enough I also had an idea for a super-heavy named Doomsword, albeit featuring four Leman Russ turrets with access to the full gamut of LR weapons, inspired heavily by the interwar multi-turret tank concept (see the Independent and the T-35). I know the Stormhammer is a thing but that only has two turrets, one of which is on a fixed traverse.

I don’t think 4 Russ turrets would fit on a Baneblade. If you had some kind of raised turret ring you could probably have a Macharius or Baneblade turret, then surrounded by 4 of the mini-Baneblade turrets. The ones with the lascannon or twin heavy bolters.

Just like the T-35 with the main turret and secondary gun turrets, with the 45mm and 7.62mm guns.

P68l.jpg

I would also suggest that the mini-turrets on the side sponsons would probably need to be removed. However considering a Baneblade like this could potentially have 18 heavy bolters that’s a fair compromise. 18 you wonder? 8 around the main turret, 8 from sponsons, and the 2 in the hull.

Edited by jarms48

Leman-Light(joke name, don't have a serious name yet)

Basically an up gunned Taurox prime, so stats will be the same.

Weapons

1x Taurox Battle cannon

Hull mounted hvy stubber

2x sponson hvy stubbers.

Options

Hull mounted hvy stubber may be replaced by a hvy bolter

Sponson hvy stubbers may be replaced by autocannons

May upgrade to a pintle mounted hvy stubber or storm bolter.

Rules- explodes: roll 1 d6, on a 6 this unit explodes and does 3 mortal wounds to any unit within 3" of it.

Fire and maneuver- if this unit moves half or less of its movement it may fire it's battle cannon, hull mounted weapon, and pintle mounted weapon of equipped.

Weapons

1x Taurox Battle cannon

Hull mounted hvy stubber

2x sponson hvy stubbers.

Options

Rules- explodes: roll 1 d6, on a 6 this unit explodes and does 3 mortal wounds to any unit within 3" of it.

Fire and maneuver- if this unit moves half or less of its movement it may fire it's battle cannon, hull mounted weapon, and pintle mounted weapon of equipped.

Heavy stubbers are worse than hotshot volley guns though. So you either get 9 S4 AP-0 shots with this, or 8 S4 AP-2 shots with the volley guns. I'm assuming you want to give it something like Grinding Advance though? 

Weapons

1x Taurox Battle cannon

Hull mounted hvy stubber

2x sponson hvy stubbers.

Options

Heavy stubbers are worse than hotshot volley guns though. So you either get 9 S4 AP-0 shots with this, or 8 S4 AP-2 shots with the volley guns. I'm assuming you want to give it something like Grinding Advance though?

thats why you'd upgrade it ideally.

Heavy bolter and autocannons I'd say makes it better than a standard Taurox prime.

thats why you'd upgrade it ideally.

Heavy bolter and autocannons I'd say makes it better than a standard Taurox prime.

So, is this suppose to be a standard Astra Militarum Taurox Prime then? I think a different name might be needed to avoid confusion.

didnt know tauroxes rocked around with heavy bolters but ok

They don't. I'm just trying to picture the vehicle you're suggesting. 

So you're aiming for something that's thematically a lighter leman russ in terms of function but with a statline similar to a taurox prime? So a taurox battle cannon instead of a normal battle cannon, and heavy stubbers instead of heavy bolters?

Sounds like you could make some kind of spin on an M2 Light Tank.

The_British_Army_in_the_United_Kingdom_1

The one in this image has 5 .30 cal machine guns and a 37mm cannon. Which pretty much ticks those boxes. 

didnt know tauroxes rocked around with heavy bolters but ok

They don't. I'm just trying to picture the vehicle you're suggesting.

So you're aiming for something that's thematically a lighter leman russ in terms of function but with a statline similar to a taurox prime? So a taurox battle cannon instead of a normal battle cannon, and heavy stubbers instead of heavy bolters?

Sounds like you could make some kind of spin on an M2 Light Tank.

The_British_Army_in_the_United_Kingdom_1

The one in this image has 5 .30 cal machine guns and a 37mm cannon. Which pretty much ticks those boxes.

yes something along the lines of a Stuart or some of the prewar light tanks that had MGs sticking out of the sides/corners

Kinda like a Taurox with chimera tracks.

Sphinx Artillery command vehicle. Leman Russ hull with turret removed in favor of an earthshaker cannon mounted in the hull rear and a observation cupola forward with targeting and communication gear. Mortar sponsons. Grinding advance does not fire its earthshaker twice but instead pops a 6" reroll 1s to indirect fire weapons, tank commander orders that work on bassilisks and a once per game Artillery Barrage. BS3+ russ stats 220ish points?

Sphinx Artillery command vehicle. Leman Russ hull with turret removed in favor of an earthshaker cannon mounted in the hull rear and a observation cupola forward with targeting and communication gear. Mortar sponsons. Grinding advance does not fire its earthshaker twice but instead pops a 6" reroll 1s to indirect fire weapons, tank commander orders that work on bassilisks and a once per game Artillery Barrage. BS3+ russ stats 220ish points?

So, something like the old Solar Auxiliary Basilisk? Except with command abilities? 

Basilisk-2.jpg

So, something like the old Solar Auxiliary Basilisk? Except with command abilities?

Basilisk-2.jpg

Sponsons are a bad place to put mortars, as the weapons must elevate to lob bombs in a ballistic trajectory, which will then obstruct the main gun as the turret traverses to engage flanking targets- or is the Earthshaker cannon mounted the same way it is in the Basilisk, i.e., not in a turret?

Anyways, the Leman Russ seems too small for any sponson large enough to carry a mortar, its loader, and its gunner.

I don’t think 4 Russ turrets would fit on a Baneblade. If you had some kind of raised turret ring you could probably have a Macharius or Baneblade turret, then surrounded by 4 of the mini-Baneblade turrets. The ones with the lascannon or twin heavy bolters.

Just like the T-35 with the main turret and secondary gun turrets, with the 45mm and 7.62mm guns.

P68l.jpg

I would also suggest that the mini-turrets on the side sponsons would probably need to be removed. However considering a Baneblade like this could potentially have 18 heavy bolters that’s a fair compromise. 18 you wonder? 8 around the main turret, 8 from sponsons, and the 2 in the hull.

That is a very fun idea. I was thinking the turrets would be smaller than "actual" LR turrets, being the bare minimum size to accommodate the guns, but I'm not sure it would be possible to get to work, and your idea probably works better. Another possibility would be a larger turret with another, smaller "counter-turret" mounted on top. Mechanically it would be utterly infeasible, but this IS 40K.

One thing I've always had a soft spot for is light tanks and tankettes- whilst it's hardly new, I'd like to see the Centaur brought into plastic given it's essentially a 40K flavoured Universal Carrier.

Also, reposted from a Sororitas thread, a needlessly in depth idea I had for a heavy tank- the Setheno. Technically intended for the Sisters, but as the fluff I wrote for it had it as something originally intended for the Guard but was gifted to the Sororitas on the grounds the Guard had quite enough tanks, I felt it was worth posting here.

Setheno Heavy Tank:

(Fluff)

Named after a particularly zealous Canoness, the Setheno is a “Second-Generation Baneblade” not dissimilar to the venerable Malcador. Notable for its distinctive rounded shape and usage of castings in its construction, the Setheno STC was originally intended for wider use by the Astra Militarum. However, with a surplus of other models of heavy tank, most regiments rejected it, and so it was instead gifted to the relatively armour-bereft Sororitas instead, at the suggestion of one General Karlo Jimnea.

The tank's design is very much emphasised for defence and durability. Its armour is extremely thick, and proof against a great deal of anti-tank weaponry. This does render it very slow, however, though at the very least the engine is far more reliable than the Malcador. The Setheno is generally armed with an Eradicator nova cannon in the hull, whilst the turret and sponsons are outfitted from a selection of plasma cannons, lascannons, assault cannons and heavy flamers in any combination. This makes it one of the few Sororitas vehicles to not adhere to the “holy trinity” of weapons, in part as it was not originally intended for them.

Unfortunately, whilst extremely tough and relatively well armed, the Setheno is not an especially versatile vehicle. Its low speed and high fuel consumption leave it unsuited to long-distance operations, and its weapon layout is often considered obsolete. As such, most of them are used for ceremonial purposes or for defensive operations on shrine worlds. This is not to say they are without merit; during the defence of the world of Belicula III from Hive Fleet Orcus the tanks proved their worth, and were instrumental in repelling the Tyranids. Those Battle Sisters that crew them are generally very fond of the vehicles, and they are treated with the same respect as any other weapon in the Sororitas' arsenals.

(OOC details)

Originally something I conceived as a joke in another group I'm in, with some 40K weapons shooped onto a Char B1 with the caption "New FW tank looks great" before I realized it actually did look kind of nice, my bias for French WW2 and interwar armour notwithstanding. Anyway, the idea effectively boils down to "Ecclesiarchy flavoured rounder Malcador" and as such it would be a Heavy Support choice rather than a LoW. I'm not finalized on the armament beyond I like the idea of the main gun beinghull mounted, but I do quite like the idea of it being a gift from the Militarum, as A: it's an interesting concept (and also mirrors IRL inter-service wargear swapping) and B: it would allow non-Trinity weapons to be used by the Sisters without breaking the fluff.

Setheno “Purifier” missile tank:

(Fluff)

An extremely rare pattern of Setheno that deletes the turret and hull mounted Eradicator cannon, replacing both with a multiple missile launch system very similar to that used on the Exorcist, only on a larger scale. Far more useful than the standard Setheno due to its extremely long range and the unerring accuracy of its munitions, the Purifier would be far more widely used were it not for the fact only five are known to exist.

(OOC details)

See above, but instead of being a Char B1 with nuns in it, it's a bigger and heavier Exorcist/smaller Praetor Armoured Assault Launcher. Possibly a bit redundant.

Setheno “Dominator” assault gun:

(Fluff)

Another rare pattern of Setheno, albeit less so than the Purifier, the Dominator replaces its turret and Eradicator cannon with a large and incredibly powerful “Dominator cannon”. Similar in scale to an Earthshaker, but intended as a direct fire weapon rather than an indirect artillery piece, the Dominator can be loaded with a variety of shells, including armour piercing, high explosive and blessed promethium incendiary rounds. Whilst an exceptionally potent weapon, the weaknesses of the Setheno STC (notably its slow speed and short range) once again prevent it from seeing wider use outside a few more unorthodox Orders.

(OOC details)

Somewhat inspired by the late-WW2 practice of turning existing tanks into tank destroyers or SPGs (see the Marder series, the Jagdtiger etc, or in 40K the Valdor Tank Hunter) and also the lunatic idea of making an Earthshaker cannon into a direct fire weapon as a "big game hunter" for dealing with Lords of War and other such annoyances. Would certainly look cool anyway.

Sponsons are a bad place to put mortars, as the weapons must elevate to lob bombs in a ballistic trajectory, which will then obstruct the main gun as the turret traverses to engage flanking targets- or is the Earthshaker cannon mounted the same way it is in the Basilisk, i.e., not in a turret?

Anyways, the Leman Russ seems too small for any sponson large enough to carry a mortar, its loader, and its gunner.

While this is true, it could be mounted in the same way as the Gorgon mortars. 

Gorgonmortar.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not an interesting lore piece like I did up earlier, but here's some more ideas for alternate LoW choices:

Baneblade Variants:

- Doomsword: 370 points. Armed with Turbo-laser destructor. 72", Heavy 2D3, S16, AP-4, Damage D6+3, Blast.

An alternative to the Banesword and its Quake cannon, higher strength, better damage potential, but half the shots. 

- Shadowhammer: 430 points. Armed with Heavy inferno gun. 24", Heavy 4D6, S7, AP-3, Damage 3, Each time an attack is made with this weapon, that attack automatically hits the target.

If a Shadowhammer is reduced to 0 wounds, roll a D6 before removing it from the battlefield. On a 4+ it explodes, and each unit within 6" suffers 2D6 mortal wounds.

So, I hope you know I'm probably going to build both of these variants now :laugh.:

Would they be turret? Casemate? I'm feeling the Doomsword would be a casemate whereas the Shadowhammer could go either way

Here's the question though:

Superheavy%2BChart%2BDraft%2B2.png

What about all the other missing ones? :wink:

Edited by Gederas

Okay so based on that above image:

- Helllord (Casemate): 400 points. Armed with Melta Cannon. 48", Heavy 2D6, S16, AP-4, Damage D8, Blast. When within half-range, damage is 12 (yes, a Reaver's Melta Cannon)

- Hellblade (Turret): 380 points. Armed with a Thermal Cannon (like the one on Knights).

- Helllord (Casemate): 400 points. Armed with Melta Cannon. 48", Heavy 2D6, S16, AP-4, Damage D8, Blast. When within half-range, damage is 12 (yes, a Reaver's Melta Cannon)

- Hellblade (Turret): 380 points. Armed with a Thermal Cannon (like the one on Knights).

The problem with those is, there’s already the Doomhammer which has a Magma Cannon. Which already is a giant melta cannon.

Then the issue with the Thermal Cannon is that it’s really bad in comparison to the Magma Cannon, which is already 380 points. You’d be looking at 340 minimum, potentially lower with this kind of firepower.

Edited by jarms48

The problem with those is, there’s already the Doomhammer which has a Magma Cannon. Which already is a giant melta cannon.

Then the issue with the Thermal Cannon is that it’s really bad in comparison to the Magma Cannon, which is already 380 points. You’d be looking at 340 minimum, potentially lower with this kind of firepower.

I completely forgot about the Doomhammer. Though I thought the Magma Cannon is basically a sawed-off Volcano Cannon?

I need to read the Guard codex before trying these.

Then again... Real life has shown multiple armies have made several tanks that are redundant in what they do (just HOW MANY tank destroyers with huge guns did the US, Germany and Soviet Union make for their own forces? :lol:)

I completely forgot about the Doomhammer. Though I thought the Magma Cannon is basically a sawed-off Volcano Cannon?

I need to read the Guard codex before trying these.

Then again... Real life has shown multiple armies have made several tanks that are redundant in what they do (just HOW MANY tank destroyers with huge guns did the US, Germany and Soviet Union make for their own forces? :laugh.:)

Nah, the Doomhammer was created as an alternative to the Shadowsword, because there's never enough Shadowswords available. I'll find the passage. 

The Doomhammer is a Super Heavy Tank which was created from the necessity for Titan-killing vehicles during the thousand-year-long siege of Ordana. During the siege, many commanders requested Shadowswords to combat the large number of heavy armour in the form of Titans and tanks from a renegade forge world. The only way the Imperium could maintain the war effort was to retrofit their Banehammers with magma cannons. While the magma cannon's range or area of effect are not the equal of the Shadowsword's volcano cannon, it can still deal a death blow to Titans. Since shells did not have to be carried and the retrofits did not take up too much space, the Doomhammer also gained a small transport capability.

I'm not saying your Hell Lord idea is bad, just needs to be tweaked. Though in many ways I guess it is better, S16, flat damage 8 or 12. Actually, after looking at it closely it might actually need a point increase. Probably around 430 like the Shadowsword and it'd be pretty good. 

Then for the Hellblade, if it was 370 points. Came with the coaxial autocannon, hull demolisher cannon, and twin heavy bolters that could maybe work. That'd put a 40 point difference between it and the regular Baneblade. 

Would they be turret? Casemate? I'm feeling the Doomsword would be a casemate whereas the Shadowhammer could go either way

Here's the question though:

Superheavy%2BChart%2BDraft%2B2.png

What about all the other missing ones? :wink:

They're both actual titan scale weapons, so most likely casemates both of them. 

As for other variants, you could try making some more from Space Marine vehicles. Such as the Astraeus or Cerberus. Though the Cerberus neutron pulse array might look rather goofy on the Baneblade chassis. The Astraeus could potentially just have its turret placed directly onto the Baneblade, perhaps as a field conversion to try and save such a rare and prized relic. 

As an alternative to the Cerberus, you could have something like a twin neutron laser. Basically 2 of the same guns the Valdor has.

If you like giant machine guns then you could have something like a Reaver gatling blaster, but in a casemate like the Shadowsword rather than Stormlord. Basically you trade the transport capacity for more ammo and a bigger gatling cannon. Someone would have to do a size comparison, as I'm curious if a twin version could fit. 

Not sure about other titan scale weapons, maybe a single or triple turbo laser could work. I did suggest twin version above, but maybe a single version could fit in a turret? 

The only other area to look at is Knight weapons, which are typically weaker than most Baneblade weapons anyway. So other ideas are:

- Las-impulsor: A twin version mounted in a casemate could work.

- Avenger gatling cannon: Turreted version could be cool as an alternative to Stormlord or Reaver gatling blaster version suggested above. 

- Conflagration cannon: As a turreted alternative to the Shadowhammer I suggested before. 

- Twin conversion beam cannon: Just looks cool. 

- Twin magna lascannon: Kinda similar to a turbo laser, but could be represented lore wise as appearing in a specific corner of the galaxy.

- Twin lightning cannon: Could be some ancient pattern of Baneblade.

- Twin volkite chieoroviles: As above. Could be some ancient pattern of Baneblade.

Edited by jarms48

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few ideas for 2 Leman Russ variants.

Both are more like KV2s or M36 Hellcats; not intended for traditional tank roles, but as SPGs or SPATs. Both also trade some armour and sponsor mounts, as well as taking a taller, slab sided turret, for greater firepower.

Firstly, the Leman Russ Obliterator is an upgunned Executioner, mounting a weapon more in line with the Heresy-Era Helex plasma mortar in a larger turret. It specialises in eliminating dug in heavy infantry. In other words, this thing ruins Iron Warriors for fun. It is very rare and hard to produce, but can flush out almost any fortification of enemies from relatively far away. It is named for the Plasma Obliterator GW brought out as a limited run.

The second is the Leman Russ Illuminator, a vehicle that brings the Emperor's light to the battlefield with it's mighty Lumen cannon. Each shell is in fact filled with slender microneedles, not dissimilar to the Hellfire bolt rounds used by the Adeptus Astartes. Where the Hellfire round is filled with acid, the Lumen cannon-s rounds are filled with a potent Phosphor compound, impregnated with specific rad-isotopes, supporting guardsmen will be equipped with sensors tuned to look for these isotopes. So marked, a for is easy pickings for all manner of marksmen, artillery or even air support to finish off. Only a big ranking Mayo's of the Adeptus Mechanicus may mix the lethal cocktail of Phosphor and blessed rad compounds, though many priests of the Ministorum add their own blessings to these rounds.