Getting back into the hobby

TZ20

So today I picked up some clippers and glue for the first time in the past two years. Numerous problems in my life as well as the entirety of 2020 really drained my spirits and desire to build and paint. I've been reading and I did got into Adeptus Titanicus with the help of some friends. It does feel good to be back building again and with a deadline to work towards it's certainly helped keep me focus.

Hopefully it's a good start to continuing back into my hobby journey.

Rambling aside, I'm curious if anyone who has gone through this has some tips towards keeping things going?

There's a couple of tactics I use to keep motivation up, but different things work for different people. The first is some of Black Library's Audio Dramas, there's nothing like the roar of a bolter and buzz of a chainsword to keep me at the table a little longer. I've also used the reward system, where I'd "reward" myself with a model I'm really looking forward to after completing a more basic unit. Paint a tactical squad, be rewarded with a Commander, paint a Rhino, be rewarded with a Librarian etc. More recently, I've started Commission painting, and the value of having a single model project that's unrelated to your larger projects, that you jump onto and spend a hour here or there as a palate cleanser has been invaluable to me.

If you'd like company, for the last few years down in The Forge, I've run the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, where the goal each month is to finish 1 model. That doesn't mean start to finish, if all you have left is to base a model, pledging to base 1 model will be a "Completion" for the month. The goal of the Challenge is to keep you plodding along, and give you the company of a good group of hobbyists doing the same thing. 

If that sounds like something you  may be interested it, you can find the 2021 thread HERE

Hobby burnout etc of course is thing that pops ups all the time. I’ve found things that help are:

• Multiple projects on the go to keep each session fresh.
  • Alternate between assembling, painting and gaming.
  • Deadlines always work amazingly to help with motivation.
  • Start a blog in one of our sub forums for the project you’re working on. Others Fraters advice and pointers can be awesome encouragement!

BCC

Grotsmasha - Thanks for the info, I'll keep in mind for certain :)

Corpus - I've got a few ideas on the go; Sisters of Battle are on my table and I've got Age of Sigmar. There is a local hobby club that fingers crossed will be back up and running with the restrictions eased. Also, nice to meet someone from Southampton as well.

Doghouse - I was on 40k for a while before stopping, then went onto Titanicus aswell as getting back into Age of Sigmar.