dawn of fire book:. the wolftime

Triszin

Just saw that. Went from very stoked, as I’ve enjoyed that series, to very concerned since Gav Thorpe is the author. He always seems to take a contrarian position and make the subject he’s writing about look bad. Because subverting expectations is so important. Given the subject matter, Space Wolves relationship with Guilliman etc, I am dreading how he handles this.

Not sure how I feel about this one either, Gav's space marine books tend to bother me. Typically though the parts that irk me have to do with a guy whose been alive and kicking for a century or two acting like an idiot so that the plot makes sense. Don't get me wrong marines should make mistakes but I don't think Njal in Ashes of Prospero would have passed the tests to be admitted as a rune priest in the first place.

The premise for this book should sidestep a lot of this. From the description the conflict is going to be a more pragmatic in 40k terms.  Basically deciding whether you take an olive branch from a Primarch that may tie you to them, or see if a prophecy comes true. Between Curse of the Wulfen, and Cadia falling the wolves were already in a rough position so the table should be set. Logan doesn't need to do something to justify the chapter being in this state, and in lore terms Russ coming back would be a massive deal for the wolves so both routes have some appeal so the conflict will feel justified.

Where I expect to be disappointed is that a lot of us want to see more of the first interactions of our chapters with Primaris. This book seems to be more about whether they take them in the first place. In my mind it would be more interesting to resolve that early, show the early interactions between the wolves and primaris. Then tie it to the Ragnar story from psychic awakening from the perspective of the troops that find him and what they went through to get there.

P.S. I really like the Aett guard on the cover (at least I'm assuming that is what they are, the metal work on the shields really implies it).

I’ll just say it’s an interesting way of depicting the “Aett guard,” who are native Fenrisians and basically Storm Troopers/Guard hybrid, if that’s what they are.

I really hope they don't fully place into the fold of "dry" codex marines. I think this is at the start of the indomitus crusade.

in terms of those natives...they could be from the region that supplies the Sea Wolves. "chosen from the kraken hunting islanders of the south, his men are dark of skin and temperament"

Edited by Lord Ragnarok

I'm expecting a decent novel at the very least. So far the 1st two books are better than most volumes of the Horus Heresy or Beast series.

really? I’m quite fond of hh. I’ll have to check them out.

I agree the first two are good, but each is a different author and the third book will be by a third author. And the author is Gav Thorp. I am not a fan of Gav Thorp as an author. He has this thing where he fetishizes subverting your expectations as if that is a replacement for good storytelling. Peak apprehension about the book, but will almost certainly read it.

Gav Thorpe can best subvert my expectations by humbly writing himself a novel, not some collection of subversion story tropes to make the Wolves lose character and face.

The Hiorus Heresy treatment of the Wolves is bad enough, we don't need more.