Saga of the Berserkers (successor SW batreps) (saga is done)

TiguriusX

Can you explain why space wolves successors can’t use the counter charge stratagem? This seems odd to me.

I made a separate post for it so we don't clog up the saga thread

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/371111-sw-successor-nerfno-counter-charge-6-hi/

What a show for the Berserker concept! I really enjoy reading your battle reports. That new list has an interesting 13th Company vibe to it with a minimal Primaris presence. Have you considered doubling up the Long Fangs with a gravy squad and dropping all of them with the pod?

The 2nd LF Squad will be hitting on 4s so they lose half their firepower. I also lose a MM if I try to fit them in the same pod (only holds 10)

I experimented with 2 separate pods in the past but I felt I was feeding units to my opponent piece meal.

The terminators in the list can fire on BS2 with Fury of the first and compliment the LF with extra shooting and some melee power

In your experience, are you finding that 5th MM necessary to finish off your priority targets? I'm finding myself having a hard time squeezing in those last 38pts in some of my theory crafted lists. I haven't had a chance to play the LF DP on the table yet.

What a show for the Berserker concept! I really enjoy reading your battle reports. That new list has an interesting 13th Company vibe to it with a minimal Primaris presence. Have you considered doubling up the Long Fangs with a gravy squad and dropping all of them with the pod?

The 2nd LF Squad will be hitting on 4s so they lose half their firepower. I also lose a MM if I try to fit them in the same pod (only holds 10)

I experimented with 2 separate pods in the past but I felt I was feeding units to my opponent piece meal.

The terminators in the list can fire on BS2 with Fury of the first and compliment the LF with extra shooting and some melee power

In your experience, are you finding that 5th MM necessary to finish off your priority targets? I'm finding myself having a hard time squeezing in those last 38pts in some of my theory crafted lists. I haven't had a chance to play the LF DP on the table yet.

If you can afford the 5th MM you should take it.  

I played plenty of games with 4MM and always regretted not having the extra shot

This is a dice game.  Bad luck will happen.  The 5th MM is your insurance policy...but if your list literally has no points to spare then you deal with it.

4 is an acceptable amount if your list has the tools and synergy elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...

Has been a long time between games in my euro leagues.

My children have resumed school so I no longer have weekday mornings free.

Expect these to be weekend only reports going forward

Copenhammer
Round 2 v WS
Map-Battle lines
My army
++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [99 PL, 6CP, 1,999pts] ++
+ Configuration [12CP] +
**Chapter Selector**: Born Heroes , Custom Chapter, Space Wolves Successor, Whirlwind of Rage
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]
Detachment Command Cost
+ Stratagems [-3CP] +
Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics [-2CP]
Thane of the Retinue [-1CP]
+ HQ [20 PL, -3CP, 410pts] +
Captain on Bike [8 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Combi-melta [10pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Hunter, Master-Crafted Weapon, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer [20pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord
Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Lord of Deceit, 2. Murderous Hurricane, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Smite, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]
Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle, Wise Orator
+ Troops [16 PL, 350pts] +
Incursor Squad [5 PL, 115pts]: Haywire Mine [10pts]
. 4x Incursor [84pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant [21pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades
. 4x Incursor [84pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant [21pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades
Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infiltrator [96pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant [24pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine
+ Elites [39 PL, 808pts] +
Company Ancient [4 PL, 75pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Teeth of Terra
Company Veterans [3 PL, 40pts]
. Company Veteran [20pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades
. Company Veteran Sergeant [20pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades
Wolf Guard [7 PL, 149pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 10pts]
. Wolf Guard [26pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard [26pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Storm shield [4pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [4pts], Thunder hammer [12pts]
Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 230pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [68pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts], Cyclone missile launcher [25pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [38pts]: Combi-plasma [5pts], Storm shield
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [43pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts]
Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]
. Wulfen Pack Leader [27pts]: Wulfen Frost claws [5pts]
. 2x Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield [76pts]: 2x Storm Shield, 2x Thunder Hammer [32pts]
. 2x Wulfen w/ Wulfen frost claws [54pts]: 2x Wulfen Frost claws [10pts]
Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]
. 2x Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield [76pts]: 2x Storm Shield, 2x Thunder Hammer [32pts]
+ Fast Attack [1 PL, 15pts] +
Cyberwolves [1 PL, 15pts]
. Cyberwolf [15pts]: Teeth and claws
+ Heavy Support [13 PL, 236pts] +
Long Fangs [13 PL, 236pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]
. Long Fang [38pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Multi-melta [20pts]
. Long Fang Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Morkai's Teeth Bolts
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [2 PL, 23pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [5pts]
+ Dedicated Transport [10 PL, 180pts] +
Drop Pod [4 PL, 70pts]: Storm bolter
Land Speeder Storm [3 PL, 55pts]: Cerberus launcher, Heavy bolter
++ Total: [99 PL, 6CP, 1,999pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)
His army
+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [101 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] +++
++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - White Scars) [101 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++
+ Configuration +
**Chapter Selector**: White Scars
. Categories: PC: WS, Configuration
Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)
. Categories: Configuration
Detachment Command Cost
. Categories: Configuration
+ Stratagems +
Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics
. Categories: Stratagems
+ HQ +
Kor'sarro Khan [6 PL, 110pts]
. Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: White Scars, Character, Captain, Kor'sarro Khan, Infantry, Primaris, HQ
Lieutenants [5 PL, 90pts]
. Categories: HQ
. Primaris Lieutenant: The Vox Espiritum
. . Categories: Character, Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Primaris, Infantry, Lieutenant
. . Neo-volkite pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Storm Shield: Neo-volkite pistol
Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Rites of War, Warlord, Wrath of the Heavens
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Character, Chaplain, Faction: Imperium, Primaris, Priest, Biker, HQ, Master of Sanctity, Warlord
+ Troops +
Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Infantry, Phobos, Smokescreen, Incursor Squad, Core, Primaris, Troops
. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant
. Categories: Smokescreen, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Primaris, Infantry, Infiltrator Squad, Phobos, Faction: Imperium, Core, Troops
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Faction: Imperium, Infantry, Intercessor Squad, Primaris, Core, Intercessors, Troops
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant
+ Elites +
Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]
. Categories: Faction: Imperium, Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Infantry, Bladeguard, Primaris, Bladeguard Veteran Squad, Core, Elites
. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield
. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol
Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 150pts]: 2x Twin volkite culverin
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Dreadnought, Elites, Faction: Imperium, Relic, Vehicle, Contemptor Dreadnought, Faction: <Chapter>, Core
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Dreadnought, Elites, Faction: Imperium, Relic, Vehicle, Contemptor Dreadnought, Faction: <Chapter>, Core
Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 300pts]: Jump Pack
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Infantry, Faction: Imperium, Vanguard Veteran Squad, Core, Melta Bombs, Elites, Fly, Jump Pack
. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 300pts]: Jump Pack
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Infantry, Faction: Imperium, Vanguard Veteran Squad, Core, Melta Bombs, Elites, Fly, Jump Pack
Vanguard Veteran Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Jump Pack
+ Dedicated Transport +
Land Speeder Storm [3 PL, 55pts]
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Fly, Land Speeder, Land Speeder Storm, Scout, Transport, Vehicle, Faction: Imperium, Dedicated Transport
Land Speeder Storm [3 PL, 55pts]
. Categories: Faction: Adeptus Astartes, Fly, Land Speeder, Land Speeder Storm, Scout, Transport, Vehicle, Faction: Imperium, Dedicated Transport
Pregame & Deployment
Different flavor of WS than I usually see
He has LS storms...they have great utility and let him hold his VV in reserve when trying to score or hold objectives...I do the same in my list
I actually feel like the underdog in this match. Terrain favors his speed and ability to overwhelm my units where and when he wants
I think whoever goes 2nd will have the advantage
My picks
Stranglehold
ROD
Warrior pride
His picks
Engage
ROD
No prisoners
He wins roll to deploy and drops 1st so he can place incursors on an objective
Combat squads all VV
3 VV go in reserve
His contemptors are midfield behind LOS terrain but can easily push out or advance and fire with a stratagem
I put LF ancient + company vets in DP
Terminators deep strike
My WG take the jump hole behind crates on left
Wulfen behind walls middle and right
LS on each flank
Wolf on the right to run and touch the objective if I get 1st turn
Both incursors are placed aggressively so I can charge his incursors on turn 1 and score warrior + stranglehold
Infiltrators I placed middle to deny his other infiltrator a chance to forward deploy
I will pull them back with Lord of Deceit and screen out my DZ
The odd choice I make is to put my RP on far left behind crates too. I am basically in a good position to peek out to get LOS and cast spells
gallery_49686_17097_1485.jpg
BATREP
We roll the same exact number 3 times
On the 4th roll he gets a 2
I get a 1
Even the dice know this is a close match
I pull my phobos units back
Infiltrator go to zone out my DZ
Incursor1 goes far right on the line but out of LOS from his contemptors turn 1
Incursor2 goes into strategic reserve
gallery_49686_17097_12680.jpg
He advances his incursors and other infantry up
LS kills 2/5 Incursors
I forget to get a SS...I am under stress planning my response
He has good position on me early
My turn
I need to plan for both stranglehold and warrior pride
This turn is tricky b/c I don't have many things in range
I need incursors to advance onto the point and my cyberwolf to charge into LS so I can steal it while also scoring
My incursors only advance 2...I needed a 3 to steal the point with obsec
That means I am forced to do what I didn't want now...I have to kill the LS with shooting
DP has to come in...otherwise he has primary point advantage
LF kill LS and 3/5 incursors on left flank
WG on left move up and easily finish the job in melee and I secure stranglehold
I do NOT get warrior pride though...and I couldn't do my ROD action
I had to move units around to zone out...
As he starts his turn I also realize I forgot to move middle wulfen up to the next wall
The incursor failure on right flank and need for LF DP issue distracted me...doh
gallery_49686_17097_65883.jpg
Turn 2
He continues to push forward aggressively
Contemptor1 kills 2 WG
Contemptor2 kills 1/5 infiltrators (I had 2+ save for 2 models thanks to obstacle and dense/light cover)
He kills 1 WG with his VV charge doing 3 wounds
I burn CP to prevent wound #4 and save a model
I do 1 damage in return swing and barely pass morale with a 5!!! Way to give me a scare dice! I initially thought I failed b/c I was looking at the regular incursor instead of Sgt. He reminded me the sgt has 8
BGV advance and charge and kill all LF (sad face) then pile into DP
3/5 MM and 2/2 pack leaders swing on death and do 1 wound (imagine if that was shooting on death!!!)
gallery_49686_17097_73495.jpg
My turn
I fail MH and burn CP to cast it successfully on the BGV
LL kills intercessor + VV who had 1 wound remaining
Terminators and other shooting kill 4/5 intercessors and leave last guy with 1 wound...DOH
I also forgot to put my Chapter Master and his combi melta in range...
I auto chant +2 charge and make all charges
There is a massive dog pile into his BGV
The most important charge however was the terminators 9" multi charge to intercessor and VV on the objective
Big decision time is what fights first. He has 4 VV on left and 5 VV on right flank to interrupt with
I decide I want Wulfen on far right to fight first...sure they would swing even if they died...but if they are alive they are a massive threat to him
TH kill 3 (got 2 6s)
FC finish the job (got 4 6s to explode)
He interrupts with 4 VV on left flank
Splits attacks 1 into WG 3 into terminators
Kill 1 WG
Kill 1 terminator with SS (had 3+ saves against his claws)
The last WG kills 1 VV in return and terminators put all attacks into intercessor
He has to die to remove OBSEC so I get stranglehold and steal the point
We then do the dog pile in the middle
Wulfen activate first b/c they have the potential to wipe everything and I don't want to be move blocked if he pulls casualties
FC cause 6 unsaved wounds
TH get 3 6s but he makes 9/11 saves so 1 BGV left
Chaplain activates next and kills BGV off
I use pile in and consolidate to move company vets into bodyguard range of all characters here while hiding behind the wall and LOS protection
gallery_49686_17097_252468.jpg
Turn 3
Contemptor1 kills 1 terminator and puts 2/3 wounds on another
Contemptor2 kills 4/5 Wulfen in middle
LS HB lands 2 shots and kills another terminator and drops packleader to 1 wound (2 models left)
He charges terminators and WG with his VV survivors
He wipes me because he has 2 damage super doctrine now (doh)
On the right flank his VV hop over the crate and charge my wulfen
Chaplain boosts over too and goes in to kill the incursors but whiffs and only kills 1/3
Wulfen interrupt and kill 4/5 VV with my final CP
4 6s with FC
2 6s with TH
His return swing kills 1 wulfen
Bad news is he holds the point thanks to the chaplain and rites of war
Wulfen in middle fails morale and runs
gallery_49686_17097_62511.jpg
My turn
I focus on stranglehold + warrior pride again
Incursors fall back from chaplain and touch the objective...now the person who has more models will be the owner regardless of OBSEC
MH goes off on his nearby 3 man VV
Smite fails on a 4
Chaplain and company vets move in to wipe them with a charge
Company ancient advances right then I remember he isn't core and can't advance + charge with my chapter master
I turn him around and he goes left instead so he can hug the wall out of LOS and pop out next turn
Chapter Master turbo boosts right to deal with his chaplain
I fire everything I can at the chaplain hoping to knock off 3 wounds so I can 1 shot him
I fail to wound with the combi melta (doh) and other guns from LS etc. so I charge in
I should probably explain when I have reroll all I am trusting the math
I reroll EVERYTHING other than a 6 unless I already have enough to kill something
I get 1 single 6 with CM first roll but the rest are all hits
I trust the math and get 1-6 and 1-1 with the reroll
That means I still came out +1
I put 8 wounds on the chaplain but he saves 7/8 with CP reroll
1 wound left...DOH!!!
Just needed 1 more freaking random bolter or something to go through!!!
Company vets kill 2/3 VV then hide out of LOS with consolidate
Chaplain kills last survivor
His VV on right flank only gets 1 wound on the wulfen and SS saves it this time
My wulfen wipe him out in return
I get both warrior pride + stranglehold
Game is very tight at this stage of the game
gallery_49686_17097_134016.jpg
Turn 4
He pulls his infiltrators from the rear objective with guerilla stratagem...that means I need to zone him out 1 more turn or he can score an easy engage + ROD
Contemptor1 kills company veterans (had 8 6s to wound)
Contemptor2 drops chaplain to 2/7 wounds remaining
He makes all charges except VV into company ancient (he multi charged chaplain + ancient and failed by 1)
Khan has to burn a CP but he makes it into the chaplain
His chaplain kills my CM...CP reroll failed to keep me alive
His last VV reinforcements on right flank wipe out the wulfen near his chaplain
I fight on death
I get 6 6's for FCs and wipe the entire VV squad out swinging on death
This fight on death just secured an objective b/c incursors are safe behind still touching the objective
Chaplain saves all 5/5 against Khan and contemptor and LS
Kills khan in return...WOW...was not expecting him to live let alone kill khan. Thanks benediction of fury! 2 unsaved hits did the job
Both chaplains went insane and won fights they should have lost. The emperor rewards the faithful!!!
gallery_49686_17097_341257.jpg
My turn
I have few options remaining
On the right flank i lined up the 2 incursors to shoot and charge then use savage strike on his chaplain...I also put a LS in LOS to shoot
All of that proved unnecessary. The killed him with rapid fire bolters. Problem solved.
On the left flank the Chaplain stays in combat but gets reroll hits and +2 charges off
Company ancient goes full berserk into the last unit of VV on the table
With an unexpected CP available I use savage strike as well
5 6s after rerolling all hits thanks to the chaplain
Company ancient singlehandedly wipes VV out and is frothing at the mouth like a true berserker
Chaplain then kills LS with his attacks (was not expecting that)
These 2 combat crazies basically denied him easy engage all front points next turn
gallery_49686_17097_76970.jpg
Turn 5
Contemptor1 kills 3/5 incursors
However NOTHING else he has can finish the job
He kills the company ancient with a charge from his LT
Contemptor2 charges but does 0 damage to incursors
I pile in and consolidate around and touch the objective
My turn
I just fall out of combat with his contemptor and touch the edge of the objective to deny HI
My LS go in for kamikaze charges for warrior pride as well
FINAL & Recap
gallery_49686_17097_23005.jpg
*I chose retrieve octarius data (ROD) not deploy teleport homers. It must have bug flipped at some point
We both failed to get outside our DZ and score it.
68-57
SW victory!!!
I am now 2-0
Wulfen do NOT suck. The fight on death mechanic is absolutely a wrench in the plans of your opponent. So much of the high end game is based on trading units. Mix in fight on death with fight interruption and you never know what a pack of wulfen are going to do
Things I killed on death
-4 FC Wulfen killed 5 VV
Seems minor but it was game changing when it happened. It secured me an additional 5 primary points in a very tight and close game
Edited by TiguriusX

Pod2

Round 3 v Drukhari (semi finals)

Map-Scouring

My army (Berserkers with lots of WG)

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [100 PL, 5CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

**Chapter Selector**: Born Heroes , Custom Chapter, Space Wolves Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-4CP] +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

+ HQ [20 PL, -2CP, 410pts] +

Captain on Bike [8 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Master [2 PL, 40pts], Combi-melta [10pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Hunter, Master-Crafted Weapon, Stratagem: Warrior of Legend [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer [20pts], Twin boltgun, Warlord

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 2. Lord of Deceit, 2. Murderous Hurricane, 5. Storm Caller, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Smite, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Armour of Russ

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Twin Bolt rifle

+ Troops [16 PL, 330pts] +

. 4x Infiltrator [96pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant [24pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine

+ Elites [34 PL, -1CP, 657pts] +

Company Ancient [4 PL, -1CP, 75pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Teeth of Terra

Wolf Guard [7 PL, 145pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 10pts]

. Wolf Guard [25pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Lightning Claw [3pts]

. Wolf Guard [25pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Lightning Claw [3pts]

. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [34pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Thunder hammer [12pts]

Wolf Guard [7 PL, 145pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 10pts]

. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [34pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Thunder hammer [12pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 146pts]

. Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield [38pts]: Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer [16pts]

. 3x Wulfen w/ Wulfen frost claws [81pts]: 3x Wulfen Frost claws [15pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 146pts]

. Wulfen w/ thunder hammer & storm shield [38pts]: Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer [16pts]

. 3x Wulfen w/ Wulfen frost claws [81pts]: 3x Wulfen Frost claws [15pts]

+ Fast Attack [9 PL, 210pts] +

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 180pts]: 2x Inceptor [80pts], Inceptor Sergeant [40pts], Plasma Exterminator x2 [60pts]

+ Heavy Support [11 PL, 213pts] +

Long Fangs [11 PL, 213pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]

. Long Fang Pack Leader [18pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Morkai's Teeth Bolts

++ Total: [100 PL, 5CP, 2,000pts] ++

His army

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [45 PL, 12CP, 770pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Obsession: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose: Flawless Workmanship

Raiding Forces - CP Refund

+ HQ +

Archon [5 PL, 80pts]: Overlord, Splinter Pistol, Venom Blade

. Splintered Genius (Obsidian Rose): Splintered Genius

+ Troops +

Kabalite Trueborn [8 PL, 135pts]

. 6x Kabalite Trueborn: 6x Splinter Rifle

. Kabalite Trueborn w/ Heavy Weapon: Dark Lance

. Kabalite Trueborn w/ Special Weapon: Blaster

. Kabalite Trueborn w/ Special Weapon: Blaster

. Trueborn Sybarite: Splinter Rifle

+ Elites +

Incubi [4 PL, 80pts]

. 4x Incubi: 4x Klaive

. Klaivex: Demiklaives

Incubi [4 PL, 80pts]

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [6 PL, 100pts]: Dark Lance, Grisly Trophies

Raider [6 PL, 95pts]: Dark Lance

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [41 PL, -1CP, 760pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Obsession: Cult of the Cursed Blade: Only The Strong Will Survive

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Prizes from the Dark City [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Drazhar [8 PL, 145pts]

Succubus [3 PL, 60pts]: 3 - Hypex (Combat Drug), Shardnet and Impaler, Traitor's Embrace, Treacherous Deceiver, Warlord

+ Troops +

Wyches [3 PL, 50pts]: 3 - Hypex (Combat Drug)

. Hekatrix: Hekatarii Blade, Splinter Pistol

. 4x Wych: 4x Hekatarii Blade, 4x Plasma Grenades, 4x Splinter Pistol

Wyches [6 PL, 110pts]: 2 - Grave Lotus (Combat Drug)

. 8x Wych: 8x Hekatarii Blade, 8x Plasma Grenades, 8x Splinter Pistol

. Wych w/ Shardnet and Impaler: Shardnet and Impaler

+ Elites +

Mandrakes [3 PL, 75pts]

. 4x Mandrake: 4x Baleblast, 4x Glimmersteel Blade

. Nightfiend

Mandrakes [3 PL, 75pts]

. Nightfiend

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [6 PL, 100pts]: Dark Lance, Shock Prow

Raider [6 PL, 95pts]: Dark Lance

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [25 PL, -3CP, 470pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Obsession: Cult of Strife: The Spectacle of Murder

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Prizes from the Dark City [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Succubus [3 PL, -1CP, 60pts]: 1 - Adrenalight (Combat Drug), Blood Dancer, Stratagem: Tolerated Ambition, The Triptych Whip

. Agoniser & Archite Glaive

Succubus [4 PL, -1CP, 75pts]: 1 - Adrenalight (Combat Drug), Dark Lotus Toxin, Precision Blows, Razorflails, Stratagem: Tolerated Ambition

. Show Stealer (Strife): Show Stealer

+ Troops +

Hekatrix Bloodbrides [8 PL, 130pts]: 2 - Grave Lotus (Combat Drug)

. 8x Hekatrix Bloodbride: 8x Hekatarii Blade, 8x Plasma Grenades, 8x Splinter Pistol

. Hekatrix Bloodbride w/ Shardnet and Impaler: Shardnet and Impaler

+ Elites +

Incubi [4 PL, 80pts]

Mandrakes [3 PL, 75pts]

. Nightfiend

++ Total: [111 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Pregame & Deployment

I honestly expect this game to be over by turn 2 or 3

I forgot to put my haywire mines in this list and it is the only one so far to hit drukhari...lolz

His army is raider and melee heavy (as all drukhari are)

The map is not friendly either...without any bodyguard protection I can't grab the point on the left easily

That means he can easily blitz me and knock me off any scoring

I pick

Stranglehold

Banners

Warrior pride

He picks

ROD

stranglehold

assassination

He wins roll to deploy first and screens me out with mandrakes in the middle

I put LF and ancient in reserve

Deploy SUPER aggressive...maybe too much so b/c 4 units out front

I need the roll for first turn

gallery_49686_17097_213070.jpg

BATREP

He wins roll to go first

I pull 3 units but have to leave 1 incursor out

gallery_49686_17097_194879.jpg

He easily kills incursors then uses stratagem to pull mandrakes back out of charge range

gallery_49686_17097_250922.jpg

My turn

Cyberwolf advances into middle

LF full combo fails

I split fire 2/3 into his raiders

I land all 4 wounds on raider1...it makes 3/4 5++ saves and only takes 2 damage

I land 2 wounds on raider2...only put 9/11 damage into it (rolled 6 and 3)

I decide cherub should kill the 2 damage raider...only 1 gets through

I roll 1 for damage...CP to reroll damage and kill it

I have the inceptors with full CM rerolls but I need to kill mandrakes in middle first or I get no secondaries

All the small arms fire fails to kill mandrakes

LS...bolters from chaplain + chapter master...drop pod

I am forced to waste inceptors to finish off the mandrake

gallery_49686_17097_230653.jpg

Turn 2

He disembarks all his stuff to advance and charge at me

This is a round full of death

I forgot to take a screen shot because it was so chaotic

Succubus1 activates and splits attacks 2 into CM 5 into chaplain

14 attacks and 6's to hit pop 2 MWs each

Does 2 damage to CM and 4 to chaplain only

I interrupt with CM and kill 3/5 wyche1

They swing back and do nothing

CM will survive

Wyche2 kill 2/3 inceptors (2 swing on death but do nothing)

Incubi1 kill all LF (1MM and packleader swing on death but do nothing)

Hekatrix1 kill my wulfen

I kill succubus and 3 hekatrix with fight on death

Incubi2 kill 5/5 WG

Incubi3 kill cyberwolf

RP drops succubus to 2/5 swinging first

Succubus unfreezes and kills RP in return

Inceptor survivor kills 2 wyches

Incursors kill 2 hekatrix but fail morale...1 survivor left

I think half my army just died...pretty normal when fighting Drukhari though

The crappy part is I hold only 1 objective and get 0 primary

My turn

Lots of charges for me

CM kills succubus with MW tricks

He interupts kills all incursors with incubi

His other incubi made their morale trick and forced wulfen to fight last

They activate and kill 3/5 wulfen and consolidate into nearby ancient and kill him too (oops that was a mistake on my part I need to avoid in the future)

Wulfen wipe out incubus with 3 dead wulfen fighting on death

My WG and chaplain kill off a wych unit and LS kills final hekatrix survivor

I did decent but it is too little too late

You have to hit drukhari first...not second

gallery_49686_17097_385757.jpg

Turn 3

His raiders kill LS and expose CM to trueborn guns

He kills him easily

I concede at this point

Final & Recap

gallery_49686_17097_72996.jpg

17-95

SW lose

In case anyone was curious...Drukhari are still brutal

I haven't cracked them yet...in fact I usually get my ass whupped in these games. Noobs with 0 knowledge of 40k can score more than 17...not me v Drukhari!!!

Their incubi are custom made for killing marines. Wound on 2 and 2 damage etc.

Drukhari can hide and then come advancing and charging from safety to just alpha melee everything

If you have faced them you know what I mean.

This game shows how a codex that is S tier simply curb stomps a non S tier list

This list is 2-1 now

I also felt the lack of company veterans in this game...playing without feels like 1 hand tied behind my back

Edited by TiguriusX

What weapons/tools do we need to face them? It seems like the issues are about controlling the tempo and the number of targets they throw out.

Can you pop open their transports?  Most don't have the firepower to do it quickly

Can you tank their charges?  Some armies can

It is really just a bad match up for our codex.

Going 1st changes the outcome a bit too

The general consensus in my competitive community is Drukhari units are underpriced.  They trade units too effectively right now.

Even though I got my ass kicked I did clear my right flank of all his combat units.  He just had too many left on the left flank to mop me up.

There is no "answer" basically.  GW needs to balance them more

TiguriusX - Does the table top simulator allow you to save the game state for your own use. Like for example could you save the game after the DE movement phase on turn 2. Then after the game play out different scenarios on your own from that point? Just curious to see how powerful of a tool it can be for you.

I've been playing a new 2D fighting game a ton lately because it has really good netcode, and because of that I'm approaching from a much more competitive mindset. Training mode has been invaluable to me because I can program the cpu to do moves, and then experiment with counters, and strategies to condition them not to use it. For 40k it would be more limited but I think there would be value in seeing what would happen in the DE game if you had conceded the points turn 1 and went after the raiders with the inceptors. Or maybe more importantly what the game state would have looked like if Long Fangs had finished the job on the two raiders. 

I know that a training mode won't be as helpful as it is in a fighting game, but at the same time 40k takes so long to play that getting in the reps is difficult. So breaking it down into key situations may be more helpful.

Nice that's a really desirable feature for me, I didn't pick up Tabletop simulator because I was fortunate enough get in person games in and had a lot to paint but now with my painting backlog almost cleared (1 Redemptor to go, and then some fun stuff :smile.:). Its probably is worth a look, it took a lot of games to get a handle on how I should approach sisters but Admech, Orks, & DE are pure theory hammer for me at this point. Your Bjorn thread provided a lot of inspiration because I have been playing dread heavy, but our lists diverge enough that I really need to see it for myself. Trading a painting night, for TTS night would really help in that regard. 

Its actually frustrating to me how much easier it is gain matchup knowledge in other games. 40k is so unique in the time commitment involved. I'm more concerned with going to events and not getting my butt kicked, rather than winning them. It just takes a lot of effort to get there with how fast the meta changes now, and quite a bit more time to take that next step towards going there to win. I have a lot respect for you for going for it, and sticking with one fraction it's going to pay off for you but man it is not for the faint of heart. 

This week is the saga of the forfeit apparently

I had 4 separate games...able to schedule game times for 3 of them but all had the same ending

Pod 2 v Death Watch (he had a 1-2 record before the game and had to run a GT on the weekend so conceded to me)

His army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [116 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Chapter Selection: Deathwatch

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Sanction of the Black Vault [-1CP]

+ No Force Org Slot +

Servitors [2 PL, 30pts]: 4x Servo-arm

+ HQ +

Lieutenants [4 PL, 75pts]
. Lieutenant in Reiver Armour: Vhorkan-Pattern Auspicator

Primaris Captain [5 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: 3. Nowhere to Hide (Aura), Dominus Aegis, Rites of War, Stratagem: A Vigil Unmatched, Warlord
. Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield: Master-crafted power sword, Relic Shield

Primaris Techmarine [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Tome of Ectoclades
. 2. Paragon of their Chapter: Dark Angels: Brilliant Strategist

+ Troops +

Proteus Kill Team [18 PL, 254pts]: Jump Packs
. Deathwatch Veteran: Deathwatch Shotgun
. Veteran Biker: Astartes Chainsword
. Watch Sergeant: Combat shield, Deathwatch Shotgun

Proteus Kill Team [18 PL, 251pts]: Jump Packs
. Vanguard Veteran: Astartes Chainsword, Storm shield
. Watch Sergeant: Combat shield, Deathwatch Shotgun

Spectrus Kill Team [8 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

. Company Veteran: Astartes Chainsword, Boltgun
. Company Veteran Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Boltgun

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Las Fusil
. Eliminator Sergeant: Instigator Bolt Carbine
. 2x Eliminators: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Camo cloak, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Las Fusil
. Eliminator Sergeant: Instigator Bolt Carbine

++ Total: [116 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

Finish this pod 3-1 and felt good about that match going in

Another good berserker experiment where I was happy with the results

Copenhammer v AdMech

Map Sweep and Clear

His army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [98 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Forge World Choice: Forge World: Lucius

+ Stratagems +

List Stratagems

Stratagem: Archeotech Specialist [-1CP]: Archeotech Specialist

Stratagem: Artefactotum [-1CP]: Artefactorum

Stratagem: Mechanicus Locum [-2CP]: 2x Mechanicus Locum

+ HQ +

Skitarii Marshal [3 PL, 45pts]: Relic: Exemplar's Eternity, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 5): Firepoint Telemetry Cache

Skitarii Marshal [3 PL, 45pts]: Mechanicus Locum, Relic (Lucius): The Solar Flare, Warlord Trait (Codex 3): Programmed Retreat

Tech-Priest Manipulus [6 PL, 110pts]: Logi, Mechanicus Locum, Transonic cannon, Warlord Trait (Lucius): Luminescent Blessings

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [8 PL, 165pts]: Omnispex
Ranger Alpha: Galvanic Rifle
19x Skitarii Ranger: 19x Galvanic Rifle

Skitarii Rangers [6 PL, 125pts]: Omnispex
Ranger Alpha: Galvanic Rifle
14x Skitarii Ranger: 14x Galvanic Rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [8 PL, 190pts]: Enhanced Data-Tether, Omnispex
17x Skitarii Vanguard: 17x Radium Carbine
2x Skitarii Vanguard (Arc Rifle): 2x Arc Rifle
Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

Skitarii Vanguards [8 PL, 190pts]: Enhanced Data-Tether, Omnispex
17x Skitarii Vanguard: 17x Radium Carbine
2x Skitarii Vanguard (Arc Rifle): 2x Arc Rifle
Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

+ Elites +

Sicarian Infiltrators [8 PL, 170pts]
Infiltrator Princeps (Flechette/Taser): Artefactotum, Relic: Temporcopia
9x Sicarian Infiltrator (Flechette/Taser): 9x Flechette Blaster, 9x Taser Goad

Sicarian Infiltrators [8 PL, 170pts]
Infiltrator Princeps (Flechette/Taser)
9x Sicarian Infiltrator (Flechette/Taser): 9x Flechette Blaster, 9x Taser Goad

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [16 PL, 300pts]
Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Ironstrider Ballistarii [16 PL, 300pts]

Pteraxii Sterylizors [8 PL, 190pts]: Pteraxii Sterylizor Alpha
9x Pteraxii Sterylizor: 9x Phosphor torch, 9x Pteraxii Talons

I was expecting to lose this match to be honest

If I got 1st turn I was going to YOLO and be super aggressive

My secondaries 

Stranglehold

Direct assault

Oath

Would have been fun to test but my opponent is 9 hours ahead of me and had played in a tournament during the day.  Game was 12pm my time but 9pm his time

He said he was too tired to care and conceded.

My list moves to 3-0 in this league and heads to the semi finals

Pod 5 (Brand new list)

Round 1 v Sisters 

Map-Surround and Destroy

My army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [100 PL, 5CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-4CP] +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Lord of Deceit, 2. Murderous Hurricane, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Smite, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Armour of Russ

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle, Wise Orator

+ Elites [39 PL, 794pts] +

Company Ancient [4 PL, 75pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Teeth of Terra

. Company Veteran Sergeant [20pts]: 2x Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades

Wolf Guard [7 PL, 140pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 10pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [26pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Storm shield [4pts]

Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 225pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [68pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts], Cyclone missile launcher [25pts]
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader [43pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

+ Fast Attack [2 PL, 30pts] +

. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [2 PL, 23pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [5pts]

What I changed in this version

-I wanted 2 cyberwolves so I downgraded WG TH and dropped a terminator chainfist to get enough points

-I wanted armor of russ so the chaplain gave his relic slot to the RP and only has wise orator WL trait

His army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adepta Sororitas) [101 PL, 11CP, 1,997pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Order Convictions: Order: Ebon Chalice

+ No Force Org Slot +

Repentia Superior [2 PL, 40pts]: Bolt pistol

+ HQ +

Ephrael Stern and Kyganil of the Bloody Tears [6 PL, 120pts]

Morvenn Vahl [13 PL, 265pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Battle Sister Squad [6 PL, 120pts]

. 7x Battle Sister: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades

. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Artificier-crafted storm bolter

. Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Artificier-crafted storm bolter

. Sister Superior: Chainsword

. . Bolt Pistol & Boltgun

Battle Sister Squad [3 PL, 55pts]

. 4x Battle Sister: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

Battle Sister Squad [3 PL, 55pts]

. 4x Battle Sister: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

+ Elites +

Celestian Sacresants [3 PL, 75pts]

. 4x Celestian Sacresants (Hallowed Mace): 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Hallowed Mace

. Sacresant Superior: Bolt pistol, Spear of the Faithful

Dogmata [4 PL, -1CP, 65pts]: 6. Catechism of Repugnance, Relic: Litanies of Faith, Stratagem: Saint in the Making, Warlord Trait: Terrible Knowledge

Repentia Superior [2 PL, 40pts]: Bolt pistol

Sisters Repentia [6 PL, 70pts]

. 5x Sisters Repentia: 5x Penitent Eviscerator

Sisters Repentia [6 PL, 112pts]

. 8x Sisters Repentia: 8x Penitent Eviscerator

+ Fast Attack +

Dominion Squad [4 PL, 70pts]

. 2x Dominion: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Boltgun, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

. Dominion Superior

. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Artificier-crafted storm bolter

. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Artificier-crafted storm bolter

Zephyrim Squad [4 PL, 90pts]

. 4x Zephyrim: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Power sword

. Zephyrim Superior: Bolt pistol, Zephyrim Pennant

+ Heavy Support +

Mortifiers [9 PL, 180pts]

. Mortifiers: 2x Heavy bolter, 2x Penitent Flails

Retributor Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: 2x Armourium Cherub

. Retributor Superior: Chainsword

. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Ministorum Heavy Flamer

. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Ministorum Heavy Flamer

. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Retributor Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: 2x Armourium Cherub

. Retributor Superior: Chainsword

+ Dedicated Transport +

Immolator [7 PL, 150pts]: Twin multi-melta

Immolator [7 PL, 130pts]: Immolation flamers

Sororitas Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]

++ Total: [101 PL, 11CP, 1,997pts] ++

His list didn't scare me as much as other sisters because it was missing Celestine...a unit I consider auto include for all sisters

The map also has lots of walls so I figured I could dodge most of his shooting as needed

Was actually looking forward to playing this game most of all...unfortunately the guy runs a restaurant and one of his employees had a last minute health emergency.  He had to cover the shifts and couldn't make our game time

I am 1-0 now in this league

Edited by TiguriusX

Pod 5

Round 2 v Necrons

Map-Battle Lines

My army

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-4CP] +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Lord of Deceit, 2. Murderous Hurricane, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Smite, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], The Armour of Russ

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle, Wise Orator

. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [26pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Lightning Claw [3pts], Storm shield [4pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

His army

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [107 PL, 8CP, 1,993pts] +++

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Necrons) [30 PL, 10CP, 558pts] ++

+ Configuration [10CP] +

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

Dynasty Choice: Circumstance of Awakening: Relentless Expansionist, Dynastic Tradition: Eternal Conquerors, Dynasty:

+ HQ [4 PL, 80pts] +

Chronomancer [4 PL, 80pts]: Aeonstave, Chronotendrils

+ Troops [12 PL, 208pts] +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 208pts]

16x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper) [208pts]: 16x Gauss Reaper

+ Elites [14 PL, 270pts] +

Transcendent C'tan [14 PL, 270pts]: Crackling Tendrils, Fractured Personality: Cosmic Tyrant, Power of the C'tan: Antimatter Meteor, Power of the C'tan: Seismic Assault

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Necrons) [30 PL, -2CP, 545pts] ++

+ Configuration [-2CP] +

Dynasty Choice: Circumstance of Awakening: Relentless Expansionist, Dynastic Tradition: Eternal Conquerors, Dynasty:

+ HQ [4 PL, 80pts] +

Chronomancer [4 PL, 80pts]: Aeonstave, Chronotendrils

+ Troops [12 PL, 195pts] +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 195pts]

15x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper) [195pts]: 15x Gauss Reaper

Transcendent C'tan [14 PL, 270pts]: Crackling Tendrils, Fractured Personality: Cosmic Tyrant, Power of the C'tan: Cosmic Fire, Power of the C'tan: Transdimensional Thunderbolt

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Necrons) [47 PL, 890pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ [9 PL, 195pts] +

Catacomb Command Barge [9 PL, 195pts]: Gauss Cannon [5pts], Relic: Voidreaper, Resurrection Orb [30pts], Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 6): Honourable Combatant, Warscythe [5pts]

+ Troops [4 PL, 85pts] +

Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal [85pts]

Transcendent C'tan [14 PL, 270pts]: Crackling Tendrils, Fractured Personality: Cosmic Tyrant, Power of the C'tan: Sky of Falling Stars, Power of the C'tan: Time's Arrow

+ Heavy Support [20 PL, 340pts] +

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 170pts]: Doomsday Cannon, 2x Gauss Flayer Array

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 170pts]: Doomsday Cannon, 2x Gauss Flayer Array

Pregame & Deployment

Don't like this match up. He has the OBSEC advantage and his CTAN are going to hurt before I can kill them

I take

ROD

Assassination

Oath

Experimenting with secondary objectives here

If I get 1st turn I can use an incursor and do a ROD action deep in enemy territory

If I go 2nd I get easy OATH points

He picks

Treasure of Aeons

Vital Ground

To the Last

-Ctan1

-Ctan2

-Ctan3

I put WG in the jump hole

Wulfen out of LOS in middle and right flank

LS on each flank as well

I place left incursors aggressive and forward over the midboard line...they can be the ROD unit

I place right incursors hidden on objective

Infiltrators are in the middle to shield RP but both are outside my DZ

Terminators + LF/Ancient in reserves

gallery_49686_17097_1887.jpg

BATREP

I win the roll to go first

I am also on the clock so notes will be speedy and SS skipped

Left incursors move up and ROD instead of fighting or charging

That gives me his back corner...I am also standing in front of his necron warriors to move block them

Chaplain perma kills 2

LS perma kills 2

12 remain

gallery_49686_17097_207757.jpg

His turn

MW kills

1 wulfen

2 incursor1

2 incursor2

Warriors put 3 wounds on LS with shooting

Barge kills off incursors on left

His necrons charge my LS and make it on a 6 (I should have been much further back...stupid of me...but at least this will pull them into easy charge range of my WG)

Ctan makes 7" charge on right side incursors and wipes them

*I forget to activate haywire...big mistake

Turn 2

I set up full shooting combos for my army and drive chaplain and CM into position

I drop MH on his command barge

LF drops on my rear objective and LF get LOS on right ctan and middle warriors

I give them recitation of focus buff but not keen senses

Put morkai bolts into warriors and fire at ctan

I do 0 damage with first salvo...but my opponent burns his CP at least

Cherub goes off and I get lucky and do 3 damage with the 1 shot that makes it through

Terminators drop touching a wall and get fury of the first and keen senses

They unload with combi plasma and 12 frag missile shots into warriors with reroll 1s to wound

6 kills for plasma

2 kills bolter

3 kills for CML

11/15 means I have failed to wipe them and 4 reanimate

He protects his command barge so I can't charge it anymore...CRAP!!!

Chaplain kills 3 more since they are in LOS but it isn't enough

WG make easy charge into left warriors

Infiltrators make charge into middle warriors

Wulfen1 make charge into middle warriors but I can't go after the barge...it is 10" instead of 6"

Wulfen2 make charge into ctan

WG activate but I forget to declare savage strike with WG before rolling to hit. He won't let me fix it before rolling wounds

only kill 10/12

6 reanimate

big mistake here costs me

Wulfen1 kill warriors in middle then consolidate into ctan

Wulfen2 put 3 wounds on ctan (it is down to 3 now)

His ctan kills 4/5 wulfen with a stratagem that ignores invulnerables

gallery_49686_17097_278918.jpg

His turn

Resurrection orb on his warriors brings back more

They are up to 11 instead of being dead...my mistake killing me here

He does desperate breakout to move warriors and expose my units to shooting

He moves his combat units up

He kills all my wulfen with MW output

1 WG

1 infiltrator

He failed his attempts on terminators and they take 0 wounds

He sends his barge to charge Terminators then remembers it has MH later

I HI with chapter master

Ctan kills infiltrators off

Terminators pile in and consolidate around the barge to get in the middle for oath

They also drop the barge to 3 wounds remaining

Barge activates and puts 3 damage on CM despite a CP

CM kills barge when he activates

He also charges his barge into my WG after shooting them and killing 2

gallery_49686_17097_391209.jpg

Turn 3

I leave the WG in combat just swinging away

Time for the RP experiment field test

I gave him all these offensive powers for this exact reason

He walks in front of Ctan and LL gets 3 on ctan but doesn't bounce

Since I have already maxed the damage in psychic I switch to MH

MH fails with CP reroll...doh

Left flank

Shooting from terminators drops another 3 wounds off and now I just need to kill it in melee

Right flank CM turbo boosts to kill off the weak ctan and LF move to shoot it as well

LS goes in to provide look out sir protection for CM

CM kills ctan but it explodes

2-CM

3-LS

Terminators kill other ctan and it explodes

3-LS it dies

3-Chronomancer it dies

1-chaplain

2-RP

1-Terminators

WG put 8 wounds on barge to end my melee turn (they went hot with hits/damage rolls)

gallery_49686_17097_220110.jpg

His turn

Kills RP with ctan times arrow on 5+

Doh...

Turn 4

I move into position to counter attack and should be able to pound him and clear his main threats

CM gets ready to smash a barge to bits and chaplain gets ready to wipe out his warriors

Terminators will swing against his ctan

After rolling the LF shooting he tells me the clock has expired

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Thems the breaks

He plays out turn 4 and 5 and I can't do a thing

gallery_49686_17097_53589.jpg

Final & Recap

gallery_49686_17097_5035.jpg

66-88

SW loss

Clocking out is not good

Mistakes that stood out

1-Forgetting savage strike was huge

2-I should not have fired at his necron warriors turn 2...my wulfen had a clear path to kill his barge and I basically stopped myself

3-Not having OBSEC against his army was a massive weakness. This match really hammered home the importance of taking RITES OF WAR in future lists

4-I forgot to activate my haywire mine into his ctan...could have let me kill him if I got 3 for the damage

5-Clock management needs improvement

Also...my LF / ancient gimmick does not work on his list. I don't get to activate if it is not an "attack" (melee or shooting)

Means the new codex drop for GK and TSons will increase counters to my list

What worked?

The change I made to my RP for offensive MW output went exactly as planned.

Smite + LL gives me the option to get extra wounds on special models that cap out each phase

Edited by TiguriusX

I'm in similar boat where I'm trying to be more competitive and, I think games like this are the ones that really help you improve. 40k games can be tough to evaluate but they take so much time that constructive take aways are worth their weight in gold.

How much time do you guys have when your playing? I don't have a ton of experience with it, and the only conclusion I had was I play way too fast in general lol. It's something I want to work on because I miss things, and stick to my initial plan too much in 40k. Sequencing and matchup knowledge seem to be the most important skills in 40k so my pacing has to improve.

I'm in similar boat where I'm trying to be more competitive and, I think games like this are the ones that really help you improve. 40k games can be tough to evaluate but they take so much time that constructive take aways are worth their weight in gold.

How much time do you guys have when your playing? I don't have a ton of experience with it, and the only conclusion I had was I play way too fast in general lol. It's something I want to work on because I miss things, and stick to my initial plan too much in 40k. Sequencing and matchup knowledge seem to be the most important skills in 40k so my pacing has to improve.

Clock rules are 90 minutes each player

This includes deployment time

Melee armies tend to burn lots of time b/c activate and pile in and all the fine details that need to be done regarding movement

Shooting is just make sure you have LOS then roll dice

Yeah the couple of games I played that were timed were 105 minutes including deployment. I had over 45 minutes remaining in both games, but I did miss alot. I'm sure I didn't take full advantage of pile ins and missed some stratagems (I hoarded cp in 8th). I was helping a friend practice but it really surprised me how fast I play.

CopenHammer

Finals (Round 4) v Iron Warriors

Map-Retrieval

My army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [99 PL, 6CP, 1,999pts] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-3CP] +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Lord of Deceit, 2. Murderous Hurricane, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Force sword, Frag & Krak grenades, Smite, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Benediction of Fury, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle, Wise Orator

+ Elites [39 PL, 808pts] +

Wolf Guard [7 PL, 149pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 10pts]

. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [35pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Storm shield [4pts], Thunder hammer [12pts]

Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 230pts]

. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour [43pts]: Chainfist [5pts], Combi-plasma [5pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

+ Fast Attack [1 PL, 15pts] +

++ Total: [99 PL, 6CP, 1,999pts] ++

His army

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Iron Hands) [104 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Iron Hands

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

+ HQ +

Lieutenants [5 PL, 90pts]

. Primaris Lieutenant: The Tempered Helm

. . Neo-volkite pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Storm Shield: Neo-volkite pistol

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, -1CP, 120pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 6) Psychic Fortress (Aura), Chapter Command: Chief Librarian, Psychic Mastery, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Techmarine [5 PL, 90pts]: Boltgun, Chapter Command: Master of the Forge, Omnissian power axe, Servo-arm, The Ironstone, Warden of the Ancients, Warlord

+ Troops +

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

. Incursor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -3CP, 175pts]: Cyclone missile launcher, Merciless Logic, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Stratagem: March of the Ancients, 2x Twin volkite culverin

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 145pts]: Armorium Cherub

. Devastator Marine Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol

. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Grav-cannon

. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 145pts]: Armorium Cherub

. Devastator Marine Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol

. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle

+ Flyer +

Fire Raptor Gunship [22 PL, -1CP, 400pts]

. Two quad heavy bolters: 2x Quad heavy bolter

. Two twin hellstrike launchers

+ Dedicated Transport +

++ Total: [104 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

Pregame & Deployment

The IH is the marine army that can challenge Admech

If he gets first turn the Fire raptor + DP can devastate an opponent

I take

Raise banners

Engage

Warrior pride

He takes

Engage

Grind

Raise banners

I win roll to deploy first and put infiltrators mid board

I make a mistake and don't push him back enough

I went on the left side to make sure I could get an angle if he went behind the solid walls

What I missed was this gives him room to push me back on the RIGHT side

He is able to screen out using his own incursors and then drop fire raptor in his back corner out of 24" range

This is my inexperience fighting this type of list showing up...I will be ready next time

Incursor1 is placed close to his incursors

Incursor2 is placed close to his eliminators

Terminators and WG in reserve

gallery_49686_17097_323879.jpg

BATREP

He wins the roll to go first

I pull phobos units back

Infiltrators are needed to deny a DP in my lines

I am so distracted trying to zone out his DP I forget to protect my HQs

He flies raptor in my face to kill CM and Chaplain

24 HB into CM fails 6 saves and dies

Everything else chaplain fails 4 avengers and dies

DP lands and the devs fire at wulfen + incursors

Kills 4/5 wulfen and 1/5 incursors (i got hot SS shields for a bit and grav is only 1 damage to wulfen)

Wulfen rolls 6 and fails morale...doh

I am a dumb ass and should have spent 2 CP to auto pass.

I totally forget that is an option...1 wulfen PL with FCs would have mulched those devastators

gallery_49686_17097_204156.jpg

My turn

I bring in DP to kill fire raptor and position incursor survivors to charge his devastators

I put the incursors into assault doctrine

Cyberwolf advances to help too

Smite for 3 but he FNPs 2/3 of them on fire raptor

LF get fully buffed and do 24 damage to Fire Raptor with 1st salvo

He gets 6 FNP rolls and almost lives

It explodes

3 MW to infiltrators

4 MW to wulfen but they pass morale

LF burns cherub to kill 2 incurors nearby

In the charge phase the wolf goes first and multi charges both dev squads

He declines overwatch

Incursors charge in after (warrior pride yay)

I land 9 AP2 incursor blades

He saves half and I only kill 2 basic devs (DOH)

gallery_49686_17097_115735.jpg

Turn 2

Because I did so bad killing devs I was unable to box them in or tag the DP

He moves away from me and falls out of combat

Plasma redemptor fires at infiltrators in rear

I use transhuman

He gets 5 shots but only 1 wound b/c transhuman (3-3-2-2 failed to wound)

Kills cyberwolf with small arms fire

His contemptor fires at the LF

4 LF firing on death kill 4 devastators across the map

Failed to kill incursors (rolled 3 1's to wound)

gallery_49686_17097_163109.jpg

My turn

I am being hit hard with all his fire power and losing bodies quickly

I bring in the terminators where they are out of LOS from any dreads

MH on rear incursor b/c I intend to kill close one to slow his scoring

Terminators only kill 4/5 incursors (doh)

Wulfen kill nearby troops then consolidate towards his lines

gallery_49686_17097_284203.jpg

Turn 3

He does stuff I don't have notes...

basically moves for scoring and doesn't need to shoot with devs

gallery_49686_17097_290123.jpg

WG do a finesse charge to dance around redemptor...kill all devastators and tag DP for safety

Terminators wipe out last incursor and hug redemptor

Redemptor kills 2/5 terminators

Terminators charge in and kill last units on objective then consolidate into redemptor

I am hoping SS get hot so I can chain fist it to death next turn

I lose 2 SS in melee

gallery_49686_17097_11454.jpg

Turn 4

Kills my company vets with shooting

Redemptor bounces on WG

WG bounce on redemptor but drop DP to 1/8 remaining

He casts null zone and uses his BGV LT to kill my terminators

gallery_49686_17097_44547.jpg

My turn

I do what I can but I am out of units to fight back effectively

gallery_49686_17097_136422.jpg

Turn 5

He keeps killing me...I can't do much

Final & Recap

gallery_49686_17097_122065.jpg

60-95

SW loss

First time facing this IH fire raptor DP super alpha strike list

It definitely lives up to the hype

I love the list...lots of awesome SM concepts in motion

I am jealous of how much easier the shooting combos work for IH and everything just innately rerolling 1s

I need captain and keen senses combos to get decent DP dev shooting

My opponent takes 1st place in this 4 round league

I dropped to 4th place 3W-1L

Writing the report and looking back I see spots where I could have made the "perfect" play but in the heat of the moment I missed it.

Using CP to morale pass the wulfen is something I need to remember in the future.

This saga comes to an end...it taught me some useful lessons

-Armor of russ is a must have relic for RP...not optional

-Benediction of fury on chaplain is a luxury...he doesn't need it

In future lists I will reduce the chaplain to more of a support character instead of a melee beat stick

A 3-1 finish is nothing to be ashamed of

Pod 9

Round 1 v Aeldari

Map-Retrieval

My army (Obsec chaplain)

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-4CP] +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

His army

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [54 PL, 12CP, 975pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Craftworld Attribute

. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Hunters of Ancient Relics

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 115pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Guide, 3. Fortune, Ghosthelm, Psyker (Farseer), Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

. Faolchu's Wing: Remnant of Glory

Spiritseer [3 PL, 60pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, 6: Seer of the Shifting Vector, Psyker, Rune Armour, Shuriken Pistol, Spirit Mark, Warlord, Witch Staff

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [2 PL, 55pts]: Defence Tactics

. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, 4x Plasma Grenades

. Dire Avenger Exarch: Plasma Grenades, Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults

. . Exarch Power: Battle Fortune

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [10 PL, 185pts]: Fires of Wrath, Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 5x Wraithblade

Wraithblades [10 PL, 185pts]: Fires of Wrath, Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 5x Wraithblade

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears [10 PL, 145pts]: Aerobatic Grace, Ride the Wind

. 3x Shining Spear: 3x Laser Lance, 3x Twin Shuriken Catapult

. Shining Spear Exarch: Star Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

. . Exarch Power: Skilled Rider

Swooping Hawks [4 PL, 80pts]: Children of Baharroth, Skyleap, Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack

. 4x Swooping Hawk: 4x Lasblaster

. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Lasblaster

. . Exarch Power: Swooping Barrage

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 150pts]: Explodes (Hover Tank), Hover Tank, Serpent Shield, Transport, Twin Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

++ Spearhead Detachment -3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [53 PL, -3CP, 1,025pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Craftworld Attribute

. *Custom Craftworld*: Expert Crafters, Masterful Shots

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner [7 PL, 135pts]: 0. Smite, 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, Ghosthelm, Psyker (Farseer), Ride the Wind, Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

Warlock Skyrunner [4 PL, 65pts]: 0. Smite, 4. Protect/Jinx, Psyker, Ride the Wind, Rune Armour, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +

Vypers [3 PL, 55pts]

. Vyper: Blade Wind, Explodes, Starcannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Vypers [3 PL, 55pts]

. Vyper: Blade Wind, Explodes, Starcannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

+ Heavy Support +

Night Spinner [8 PL, 135pts]: Doomweaver, Explodes (Hover Tank), Hover Tank, Twin Shuriken Catapult

War Walkers [12 PL, 240pts]

. War Walker: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Aeldari Missile Launcher, Explodes, Power Field, Scout Vehicle

. War Walker: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Aeldari Missile Launcher, Explodes, Power Field, Scout Vehicle

Wraithseer [8 PL, 170pts]: 0. Smite, 5. Quicken/Restrain, D-cannon, Eldritch Wraith Construct, Ghostspear, Psyker, Wraithshield

Wraithseer [8 PL, 170pts]: 0. Smite, 1. Conceal/Reveal, D-cannon, Eldritch Wraith Construct, Ghostspear, Psyker, Wraithshield

++ Total: [107 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

Pregame & Deployment

No pregame...too busy

I walked into this game blind like a RL pairing

I notice he has 3 indirect fire units...that sucks for my company vets

Night spinner is becoming a net list pick b/c it is great indirect fire

The wraithseers are only 24" range so I can use that to my advantage on this map

My picks

Raise banners

Engage

Warrior pride

His picks

Engage

ROD

No prisoners

I put terminators and LF DP in reserve

Ancient and company vets join them

RP and incursors are in his face

Everything else fairly standard safe deployment

gallery_49686_17097_348721.jpg

BATREP

I lose roll for first turn

This is actually what I wanted. Aeldari have a stratagem to redeploy when the first turn begins so I could have been charging thin air if I got first turn anyways

RP and incursor1 go into reserve

incursor2 pulls back to my DZ

gallery_49686_17097_449305.jpg

He buffs with lots of psychic

Fires nightspinner into incursors

I use transhuman

9 shots end up causing 4 wounds (1 is bonus AP4)

Transhuman did nothing to wound rolls

1 dies to the AP4 shot

My turn

My infiltrators raise a banner in the rear and camp on dense with 1 wolf

They will be here all game to secure this objective from random artillery sniping

Left flank the wulfen move forward

WG jump to the vacated position safe behind LOS and raise a banner

Cyberwolf advances to charge the vyper too

The right flank is where I will drop

I can kill his wraithseer and vyper if I am lucky

Chaplain and chapter master drive over to grant all their buffs

DP comes down and company vets raise a banner on objective

DP kills wraithseer with 4/5 MM shots breaking through his saves

Other shot puts 3 wounds total on vyper even after using the cherub (1 for damage and 3/4 failed wound rolls)

CM fails to wound with his combi melta too....lucky ass vyper is going to live!!!

Cyberwolf and wulfen make charge into the vyper on left (warrior pride woot)

Wulfen needed a 7 and got it on the reroll...I was nervous

This vyper dies to wulfen and I consolidate into the dense to pray and live

He has to focus fire on left or right flanks...can't kill everything with shooting

gallery_49686_17097_19108.jpg

Turn 2

Tons of psychic including all the buffs he can manage on his right flank wraithblade (protect for a 3++ is main one)

Wraithseer smites cyberwolf to death on left flank

Jinx on far right wulfen

Smite and executioner kill 2 MM with LF on right flank...no ancient activation allowed

Doom fails even after reroll...PHEW

Warwalkers fire all with rerolls into wulfen in dense on left flank

When he is done I only have to deal with 3 wounds

I make 2/3 SS saves

He rolls 1 for damage...yay!!!

Nearby Wraithseer puts Dcannon into them and I make 2/2 SS saves again

Woot woot the shield saves went HOT!!!

Now I get to take my revenge in melee either dying on death or charging my turn

Huuuuuge swing in momentum here

Wave serpent kills 1/4 incursors on right flank

Tons of small arms fire into LF kill 2 more

I make 0/2 ancient rolls...doh

Night spinner puts 8 shots into WG but I only take 1 wound (made 4++ and 1/2 2+ saves)

Buffed up wraithblade on right flank declare multi charge into wulfen + incursor + chapter master

Charge initially fails with a 6

CP reroll is a 10 and I get to play with fully buffed melee aeldar...I'm actually excited and not worried.

My opponent is super excited he made his charge...I tell him I am too.

He tells me he doesn't understand why I am happy and that makes him nervous

I don't say anything but inside I feel like Rorscach from watchmen with his "YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!"

Shining spears fail charge into LF (I lost enough models to make it a 6 and he rolled 5)

Wraithblade on left flank make charge into wulfen in dense

I have 2 CP and tell him I will likely interrupt. So he has to decide carefully who goes first.

He activates wraithblade on left flank

They kill all 5 wulfen. No lucky SS this time

Oh well...I get to swing on death

After rolling I kill 4/5 wraithblade (definitely felt the lack of +1 when being charged from pure SW get)

I'm still happy with the result

On the right flank I have 3 incursors....5 wulfen...chapter master available

I activate incursors and pile in to base his guys in the rear

They do nothing with attacks...but that is fine. I moved them for defense

By basing his guys in the rear they can't pile in

This prevents them from moving up to swing at wulfen/CM with extra attacks

Only 1 can hit wulfen (1 4++ save is made)

Only 2 can hit CM (8 attacks only 2 hit I save 1 but take 3 damage)

2 are forced to hit incursors (8 attacks only kill 1 model and 1 damage on another model)

At this point I have survived the charge of his super buffed wraithblade

My turn to swing back

Wulfen activate and pile in

Only 3 wulfen can attack...but it is the best 3. 2 TH and PL with 6 FC attacks

PL gets 4 wounds to kill a model

TH get 6 wounds and he fails 2/6 3++ and gets no FNPs

He makes all his 3++ against chapter master TH

I managed to kill 3/5 super buffed wraithblade and I didn't lose any units in return

I am happy

gallery_49686_17097_2135.jpg

My turn

I bring in the RP to help with wraithblade. Hope to murderous hurricane them. fight last means I can swing with everything on them

Chapter master falls back and goes to hunt some exposed characters

Terminators drop in and have free shots to his characters from the rear as well

Left flank my WG go in to kill the last surviving wraithblade

LS moves up to take sit on the objective behind LOS cover

Cyberwolf advances to fill the gap left by LS

All this shuffling zones him out of my area to deny ROD points

My RP casts MH with 8 into wraith blade he denies with a 10...DOH

Apparently my RP is also angry b/c he casts a super smite with a 12 next

I hurt myself for 3...do 2 on wraithblade

LF kill the vyper with shooting...its run of luck apparently ran out

The terminators split fire. All small arms into a 4 wound exposed psyker and the krak missiles into a 3 wound biker psyker. These psykers both have the power to turn off invulnerable saves

Terminators only do 3/4 wounds on the first guy

Missiles are saved by invulnerables

CRAP!!!

Time for charges

Terminators tell me they are sorry and make a 9" multi charge into 2 bike psykers nearby

company vets make their 7" charge into shining spears

chapter master multi charges spears and bike psyker

WG make their charge into wraithblade too

Finally my company ancient makes a LONG charge through dense around the existing combat to hit the wraithblade. I am hoping he will get lucky and kill them before they activate

My opponent has 2 CP so I need to be careful

Activate WG first and kill solo wraith

My opponent thinks on it then declines any interruption

Company Ancient fails to kill any wraith

Company vets kill 2/4 shining spears

Terminators kill skyseer with chainfists and remove the psyker who can cast mortal wounds with executioner etc.

CM splits attacks with all but 1 into spears

He kills 1 spear only

He gets a 6 to explode his hit on the bike psyker but all the invulnerable saves are made

In the non charge phase he activates his wraithblade before me

They kill 2/2 incursor and wipe the squad

*At the time I thought this was odd but he explained it to me next turn. He was removing their DS denial bubble for his swooping hawks to arrive

I activate my wulfen

Wulfen FC do 15 wounds and he makes 11/15 3++ he makes 1 FNP

TH fail to kill him (he makes 3++)

There is 1 guy remaining alive

I surrounding him with consolidate move

Good turn...ripped away 2 objectives from him

I wish I had killed more of his psychic characters but I'm ok with outcome

My wolves are stuck in deep with melee action on his side of the board

If he falls back he loses his ability to cast spells

gallery_49686_17097_134422.jpg

Turn 3

Swooping hawks drop 2 MW on WG when they arrive

WG also eat 2 smites

so 2/5 WG remain

Terminators take 3 MW from psyker locked in melee

He fails guide on his warwalkers and takes 1/3 from perils even with 2+ FNP

LS takes 5 from wraith artillery on left flank

Night spinner finishes the job and blows me off objective

Wave serpent pushes deep into my DZ and kills cyberwolf then uses fire and fade onto objective to remove banner and steal it

His wraithseer charges WG but does no wounds (SS went hot again)

Wulfen activate next and kill wraithseer finally

I push deep towards him with my consolidation move

gallery_49686_17097_521755.jpg

My turn

Incurors arrive in the rear and plink 1/5 of his dire avengers

I make all charges including wulfen into his war walkers

Wulfen kill 1 war walker

Chapter Master kills other

Company vets kill 1 wound spirit seer

Chaplain kills remaining swooping hawks and consolidates back onto objective to contest the wave serpent

Here is my best move of the turn

The terminators slingshot off spirit seer to tag the night spinner

As part of my charge I daisy chained and ran towards his night spinner

The 6" of pile in and consolidate are more than enough for me to tag it

gallery_49686_17097_245250.jpg

Turn 4

He concedes

FINAL & Recap

gallery_49686_17097_78015.jpg

92-31

SW victory!!!

Things I killed on death

-Wulfen killed 4 wraithblade

I have heard of the artillery aeldari lists but haven't faced one yet.

I was happy with the outcome

The terminators decided to be MVP with charging after failing with shooting. That was the first time I remember having a positive from them. I am actually considering removing them from the list in my next version.

This new chaplain has OBSEC and I think he is gonna work just fine

I can auto chant recitation of focus for the DP combo then roll for the rest of the game

He only needs to provide an OBSEC bubble by driving around

Pod 9

Round 2 v Tsons

Map-Scorched Earth

My army (Obsec chaplain variant)

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-4CP] +

A Trophy Bestowed [-1CP]

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, -1CP, 140pts]: 5. Recitation of Focus, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Absolver Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity [1 PL, 25pts], Crozius arcanum, Frag & Krak grenades, Litany of Hate, Rites of War, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Twin Bolt rifle

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

Wulfen [8 PL, 157pts]

His army

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [41 PL, 9CP, 5 Cabal Points, 791pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Time

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [9 PL, -1CP, 3 Cabal Points, 160pts]: 22. Weaver of Fates, 33. Perplex, Athenaean Scrolls, Dilettante, Force stave, Frag & Krak grenades, High Acolytes, Immaterial Echo, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite, Umbralefic Crystal

. Disc of Tzeentch: Disc blades

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [6 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 105pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: 12. Twist of Fate, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite

. 4x Rubric Marine w/ inferno boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Tzaangors [4 PL, 70pts]

. Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

. 9x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor blades: 9x Tzaangor blades

+ Elites +

Scarab Occult Terminators [20 PL, 1 Cabal Points, 410pts]

. Scarab Occult Sorcerer: 12. Twist of Fate, Force stave, Inferno combi-bolter, Smite

. 7x Terminator: 7x Inferno combi-bolter, 7x Prosperine khopesh

. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Prosperine khopesh, Soulreaper cannon

. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Prosperine khopesh, Soulreaper cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [1 PL, 23pts]

. Chaos Spawn: Hideous mutations

Chaos Spawn [1 PL, 23pts]

. Chaos Spawn: Hideous mutations

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [41 PL, -6CP, 9 Cabal Points, 759pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Duplicity

+ Stratagems +

Sorcerous Arcana [-2CP]: 2x Additional Relics

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer [7 PL, -1CP, 4 Cabal Points, 125pts]: 2. Seeker After Shadows, 21. Presage, 23. Temporal Surge, Force stave, Frag & Krak grenades, Helm of the Daemon's Eye, High Acolytes, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite

. Disc of Tzeentch: Disc blades

Infernal Master [5 PL, 2 Cabal Points, 90pts]: 31. Empyric Guidance, 4. Diabolic Savant, 6. Malefic Maelstrom, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol

+ Troops +

. Aspiring Sorcerer: 12. Twist of Fate, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite

. Aspiring Sorcerer: 33. Perplex, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite

. Aspiring Sorcerer: 31. Cacodaemonic Curse, Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Smite

+ Elites +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 175pts]: Hellforged cyclone missile launcher, 2x Twin volkite culverin

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened [3 PL, 54pts]: Aviarch, Divining spears

. 2x Enlightened

. . 2x Disc of Tzeentch: 2x Disc blades

++ Supreme Command Detachment +2CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [23 PL, 2CP, 4 Cabal Points, 450pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Magic

Detachment Command Cost [2CP]

+ Primarch | Daemon Primarch | Supreme Commander +

Magnus the Red [23 PL, 4 Cabal Points, 450pts]: 1. Arrogance of Aeons, 11. Gaze of Hate, 11. Tzeentch's Firestorm, 12. Glamour of Tzeentch, 12. Twist of Fate, 13. Dark Blessing, 13. Doombolt, 21. Presage, 21. Temporal Manipulation, 22. Swelled by the Warp, 22. Weaver of Fates, 23. Baleful Devolution, 23. Temporal Surge, 3. Undying Form, 31. Cacodaemonic Curse, 31. Empyric Guidance, 32. Psychic Stalk, 32. Pyric Flux, 33. Desecration of Worlds, 33. Perplex, 4. Lord of Forbidden Lore, Smite, The Blade of Magnus, Warlord

++ Total: [105 PL, 5CP, 18 Cabal Points, 2,000pts] ++

Pregame & Deployment

First ever game v Tsons

I am basically going in blind

I pick

Stranglehold

Raise banners

Warrior pride

He picks

Wrath of Magnus

Assassinate

ROD

My plan is hide out of LOS all game and avoid mortal wounds if I can

I will send cyberwolves and LS to objective for early game trading before I fully commit to an attack

LF and ancient go in DP

Terminators DS

Incursors forward deploy and will likely go into reserves

Right flank

I put both wulfen on the right b/c it is a short walk onto the objective from the forward wall

Infiltrators join them to zone out any relocation tricks and prevent shooting at wulfen

Left flank

All 3 characters hide here

WG as well

Both flanks get a cyberwolf and LS as well

He deploys first so I am able to put my incursors where I want at the end

gallery_49686_17097_30673.jpg

BATREP

I get 1st turn and make charges

Incursor1 kills chaos spawn using savage strike

Spend a CP to consolidate 6" into both rubrics

Incursor2 kills 7 tzangors and consolidate into rubric

He kills 2 incursors in return

I get stranglehold + warrior pride and start removing screens so i can shoot magnus

gallery_49686_17097_211093.jpg

His turn

He advances spawn on left flank onto the objective

smites kill the cyberwolf off

Right flank he falls back with 1 rubric and casts a spell to teleport out of combat onto the objective

Magnus gets super smite for 7 MW and wipes orange incursors completely

Volite kills other incursors

Turn 2

Lots of planning before I drop everything

My gameplan requires me to hide as long as possible...the second I pop out I will eat his full army of smite etc.

But I have an opportunity here...I decide to attack

LF come in bottom right with LOS to his rear rubrics

Terminators come in left side...LOS to rubrics

I give CM rerolls to WG and send them into spawn

Chaplain gets reroll all hits and +2 charge buffs

I follow with everyone on the left flank

Right flank wulfen1 go forward to charge rubrics on objective

Cast MH on spawn on left flank just in case

LF kill 5/5 Rubric

Terminators kill 2 rubric only with plasma and CML (I did NOT overcharge b/c he used a -1 damage stratagem)

All charges good

CM and WG make charge into spawn...WG roll a 12 with chaplain buff so I decide to push deep into his lines and trust CM to kill spawn

Left flank terminators make long charge out of DS into spawn as well

Wulfen on right flank make 6" charge into rubrics

I activate wulfen first and they wipe rubrics and push deep towards enemy lines

CM then kills chaos spawn

Terminators get 6 additional inches of free movement towards enemey lines

WG pile in and tag both rubrics...lose 1 to his rubric melee strikes

gallery_49686_17097_515374.jpg

His turn

I get a front row seat to the power of Tsons now

Tons of smites and cabal points being used here

He kills 3/5 WG

He kills 2/5 terminators

Super smite from infernal master for 6 kills 3 wulfen

Magnus auto cabal casts a super smite (it is his 6th of the turn)

Does 9 more MW to wulfen and they are all dead

*I put the details to show how much over kill was provided...he pumped 15 MW out with 2 models

Volkite then shoots and kills all my LF (I rolled 1 for the SS then all 2s for the remaining saves)

LF PL and 2MM activate but fail to hurt magnus

He kills my remaining terminators with his terminator shooting

They have AP2 guns...so amazing

He then charges in and kills CM

I interrupt with WG killing 3/4 models and pile in AWAY from full strength rubric so I should survive his swing backs and he can't activate the full sized squad anymore

gallery_49686_17097_596340.jpg

Turn 3

Chaplain makes both chants

Makes drive and long charge into rubrics

Kills 3/5 and consolidates closer to WG

I make the long odds play and steal objective from him with obsec

This secures me stranglehold but is the last time I will score it...running low on units

gallery_49686_17097_400049.jpg

His turn

Uses relic to move his terminators for clear LOS to my back lines

WG get smited to death

He kills RP with relocated terminators and smites

Chaplain killed by volkite

Kills LS

gallery_49686_17097_255752.jpg

Turn 4

I have no options b/c running low on units

I advance and move to score stranglehold only

no more warrior pride possible

gallery_49686_17097_87331.jpg

His turn

Turn 5

He smites LS to death

I go kamikaze and kill aviarch and sorceror with the company ancient

gallery_49686_17097_102917.jpg

Final & Recap

gallery_49686_17097_61773.jpg

91-69

This was his 3rd game using the list so we had a good long chat post game to give him feedback.

I told him his Tsons list reminds me of my old 8th edition psychic buzzsaw list.

I had my "best" competitive list ever right before psychic awakening dropped...it was based on 3 rune priests for a D6 mortal wound living lightning that would keep bouncing if it killed the target

I teleported those psykers in behind 10 terminators and they would kill anything they saw over the course of the game. 10 terminators were usually enough to stop a counter attack and then every turn it was just smites and whatever MW sources I had non stop.

Psychic awakening then dropped and gave me safe overcharge so those 10 terminators became a lethal offensive force too....then COVID hit and I never got to use it in the local tournaments

Anyways...his list is the current version of that

I think it is extremely powerful b/c it doesn't matter what the opponent has...his abilities should cut through it every turn over and over.

With cabal points for auto casting you can't even hope to deny to stop them

Also tell him the Tsons terminators are amazing units

OBSEC

Great offense + defense

2 models can be brought back from dead a turn if circumstances are right

Can heal with spells

If you can't erase a brick of 10 terminators in 1 go they will likely not die

In addition to obsec there are multiple ways to move slow terminators around

Relic for a free relocate

Spells for a free relocate

If I was Tsons I would start my army with 20+ of these terminators

As for my game...probably should NOT have attacked turn 2. Needed to play the slow exchange game b/c I ran out of units turn 5

I tend to be over aggressive and need to identify games where patience is key. I knew it in my pre game prep but I just went too much berserker here.

Game has me reconsidering if I need to adjust my army or just play better

Do I drop my psyker and embrace hounds of morkai + assassin combo?

Reliquary of gathalmor would complete the build for a -3 to cast bubble and chance of MW for every failure

I don't think you played poorly at all. This matchup is brutal for a list like yours, mortal wounds are a mechanic that punish elite infantry. The ap -2 guns double down on this. Your entire list concept is built around elite infantry, so in sense the army just counters your berserker builds. I do think your dread heavy lists would be better for what its worth. 

I wouldn't take the relic, for it to be effective you've got to get with in 18" of their models. With the exception of the infernal master (who can be effective without casting spells), all of the characters in that list can move 12" and those discs are pretty much auto takes. With that much movement it's not going to be too hard to play around it, if non-primaris characters could take it I think it would be a different story. I do think the assassin and the hounds are worth testing.