TS player with 5 wins at SN Battle report GT

MillionsSons

Brother MillionsSons, everyone, what do you think of the list please?  Would value your opinion.

My only thought about this was the Grav-Flux Bombard Chaos Leviathan Dreadnought.  I had used it in 8th for my non-KSons Chaos Space Marines, and it did flux stuff up, but it's kinda gone out of vogue since then.  My overall impression, just mine, was this player built a list that worked for him with his style that he got familiar with, which imho is the funnest way to play, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for all, but it was nice to see that for me.

Brother MillionsSons, everyone, what do you think of the list please? Would value your opinion.

My only thought about this was the Grav-Flux Bombard Chaos Leviathan Dreadnought. I had used it in 8th for my non-KSons Chaos Space Marines, and it did flux stuff up, but it's kinda gone out of vogue since then. My overall impression, just mine, was this player built a list that worked for him with his style that he got familiar with, which imho is the funnest way to play, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for all, but it was nice to see that for me.

Yes its interesting, 3 remarks on my side:

- I dont play chaos pawn cause I’m on Ahriman side, I dont like the idea of us sorcerers being turned to flesh mash

Brother MillionsSons, everyone, what do you think of the list please? Would value your opinion.

My only thought about this was the Grav-Flux Bombard Chaos Leviathan Dreadnought. I had used it in 8th for my non-KSons Chaos Space Marines, and it did flux stuff up, but it's kinda gone out of vogue since then. My overall impression, just mine, was this player built a list that worked for him with his style that he got familiar with, which imho is the funnest way to play, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for all, but it was nice to see that for me.

Yes its interesting, 3 remarks on my side:

- I dont play chaos pawn cause I’m on Ahriman side, I dont like the idea of us sorcerers being turned to flesh mash . I recognize they are competitive though... and fielding 10 wow that’s interesting. I’ll wait for new codex but I definitely need to reconsider this unit.

What if the spawns were gift of chaos'd space wolves?

I wonder hiw many times he didn’t get turn 1, cause the 20-rubrics alpha strike only works if you have turn 1 actually

Or if you managed to hide them in your opponent's turn?

Interesting list, would be good to see how it played and what the results were. 20 Rubrics would be hard to remove for sure. 

Actually I've played lists extremely similar to that, but no summoning. I've always struggled to get along with a Daemon force along side my Thousand Sons.

I will say for a very, very long time I've been a huge fan of Spawn. I've always called them my 'failed sorc pack'. It's the strat we have that takes them from mindless medicore meatbags to potentially very damaging. The strat essentially lets you tailor their abilities and remove some of the inherent randomness that makes the spawn fairly useless to other armies.

I actually LOVE this angle of taking something that is available to a lot of armies (IE: all of CSM) and making it really cool for one faction/chapter. In this case I just love the spawn, and take a 5 man squad every chance I have. With an invuln, these guys are no chumps. Plus it kind of does fit the theme for me!

The Rubrics are boring as heck, but I've played them this way. A giant mobile brick. You pull them back if you have to if you lose first turn, but if you get first turn it's potentially quite viscous. 

What I strongly dislike about 9th ed is they've centered it far too much on the Primary. So when someone asks me to look at their list, my go to is to ask 'how often are you max scoring the primary?' Literally it's a big part of what the Ru-brick lets you do. It is a little boring, and not as dynamic as what you may want from a glorious chapter like Thousand Sons, but a necessary evil until the new codex comes out (let's hope!)

Like Million Sons, I took Contemptors and Leviathans out after 9th kind of wacked them, and I'm still waiting for the nerf on Volkites.  For this reason I would not invest in Contemptors unless you already have them, (I often used a twin las x2 variant). 

Where I deviant strongly is I love the Scarabs... but they don't have Obsec. Wow would it change things if they did though. Really the Scarab Occult feel like mega Rubrics, and they actually operate really similar, so for this reason the Obsec advantage of Rubrics is probably the more competitive option.

The Summoning might be the ace in the sleeve that makes this work. And that's the part I have the least experience with. I simply don't do it. The first couple of times I sold my Thousand Sons armies, I had basic Tzeentch daemons in the mix and never used more than some Horrors/Pinks/Blues/Brims. And in my most recent iteration, I haven't included them in the army.

A lot of this is going to change in a week hopefully so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

• 3 weeks later...

+ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [95 PL, 8CP, 1,732pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Cults of the Legion: Cult of Duplicity

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Thousand Sons (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: Death Hex, Magister, Warptime, Weaver of Fates

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [10 PL, 200pts]: Duplicitous Tactician, Gaze of Fate, Helm of the Third Eye, Malefic talon, Prescience, Warlord, Wings

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [24 PL, 385pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Glamour of Tzeentch, Warpflame pistol

. 17x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 17x Inferno boltgun

. Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

. Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

Rubric Marines [6 PL, 90pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Inferno Bolt Pistol, Temporal Manipulation

. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Tzaangors [4 PL, 90pts]

. Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

. 9x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor blades: 9x Tzaangor blades

+ Elites +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 175pts]: Hellforged cyclone missile launcher, 2x Twin volkite culverin

Chaos Leviathan Dreadnought [13 PL, -1CP, 235pts]: Grav-flux bombard, 3x Hellforged hunter-killer missile, Leviathan siege drill and meltagun

. Two twin volkite calivers

Tzaangor Shaman [5 PL, 85pts]: Dark Matter Crystal, Tzeentch's Firestorm

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [5 PL, 115pts]

. 5x Chaos Spawn: 5x Hideous mutations

Chaos Spawn [5 PL, 115pts]

. 5x Chaos Spawn: 5x Hideous mutations

Tzaangor Enlightened [6 PL, 72pts]: Aviarch, Divining spears

. 3x Enlightened: 3x Blades on Disc of Tzeentch

++ Total: [95 PL, 8CP, 1,732pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Considering the age of this (pre 9th ed codex) I'll recommend we let this die out as the new rules arrive and become official in a week. It will be interesting to see how much this -type- of list holds its weight in the coming months.