Ork Combat Patrol

Marshal Loss

So either I can't count or the new boyz don't get enough shootas for all 10 ladz included. This seems ... dumb. I mean, all us Ork players who already drown in boyz don't need to worry. But for new players this sucks.

This is definitely a less than pleasing outcome.  Bad, GW, just bad.

Some of those arm attachments could definitely have been done differently to allow more options in the assembly (namely all the ones under metal shoulder plates).

This is a bad piece of design. Why halfarse the kit? Same design resources to make it? So why this solutionz

I had planned on building an Ork army and spending a lot of money, but now I am just going to putter around and paint it slowly.

Had it been a full kit I would have bought 2 of these boxes and loads of other stuff. Now I am just gonna paint what I have and save the money for AoS Dragons.

Yee-owch, looks like the new Boyz really are stuck with a single weapon option. Glad they're keeping the old ones around for at least a little while, it's gonna be real hard to be a new greenskin player as soon as these become standard...

I don't think this kit is becoming standard. It's very reminiscent of the AoS Chaos Warriors

Some people are just impossible to please...

And some are inordinately happy with whatever is plopped in front of them.

As others pointed out, some of these starters do have limited options (and that has been the case for years). But a lot of the new kits are light on bits. People have a right to be annoyed that options are drying up in these new kits. I revel in the ability to make unexpected creations with spare or alternate bits, and seeing that become increasingly difficult is not particularly fun. 

These look like they are push fit, similar to the old Black Reach orks, have we had any individual box releases that were push fit outside of the Easy to Build boxes? Makes me wonder if the eventually individual release will be a little different. Like how a lot of the box set Primaris sets were limited options but the final releases had the additional choices. Eliminators and Inceptors for instance.

I can still see this being a good starting point for a newcomer, but makes me a lot less interested in picking it up and more interested in waiting for individual releases since I already have the Beast Box to finish and Kommandos on the way.

These look like they are push fit, similar to the old Black Reach orks, have we had any individual box releases that were push fit outside of the Easy to Build boxes? Makes me wonder if the eventually individual release will be a little different. Like how a lot of the box set Primaris sets were limited options but the final releases had the additional choices. Eliminators and Inceptors for instance.

I can still see this being a good starting point for a newcomer, but makes me a lot less interested in picking it up and more interested in waiting for individual releases since I already have the Beast Box to finish and Kommandos on the way.

AoS had a start collecting box designed like this. And no full kits of those have been out since, and it has been a year + since then Edited by Redcomet

Some people are just impossible to please...

They are but the new boys kit is terrible.

No head choices, fixed weapon loadouts, multiple leftover nobs unless running 10 boy units.

By every measurement it's poor. I can't gush over the kommandos enough, this is very much as far from the kommandos kit as you can get.

For you yes, for everyone else not so much. But more importantly the downgrading of other people's opinions as not worth considering is the problem.

That's crap. He wasn't being paticulary snarky, mean, or disrespectful. He isn't wrong either, a good portion of the 40k fan base can be downright pessimistic and hard to please.

I don't even fully agree with Dumah on this box, it has much to be desired if one was wanting to get multiple copies

I will acknowledge that for those who enjoy customization and options these new kits are not ideal. I was simply overly excited to have new kits at all and, as Orks are wont to do, became caught up in the sheer joy of it. I also happen to like the newer, bulkier sculpts - proppa orky, that.

That's crap. He wasn't being paticulary snarky, mean, or disrespectful. He isn't wrong either, a good portion of the 40k fan base can be downright pessimistic and hard to please.

It's not crap, they were being patronizing, their comment of "Some people are just impossible to please" is quite disrespectful and could of been said in a way not to look down on others opinions.

Everyone should feel free to tell us what they think of things, everyone here should feel free to be happy or upset. Just think about commenting when your comment bridges the gap of telling someone else that you are apart of a group that's opinions are less than anyone else's because you don't agree with it.

Edited by Black_Knight

Yeah, I understand the argument that it's possible this is just a bridging kit until a new full ork boyz kit is designed. But then you have to ask, why even bother spending resources making this instead of the full kit in the first place? Do they just have a horde of designers on the pay roll and not enough work so it's not a big deal to have a new ETB kit designed? It's just a really bizarre decision. You can compare them to the black reach orks but we already had a full multipart kit so they were just a bonus adding more variety. This is just... does even the design team know? The only thing I can think of is they planned a more 'primaris' style release for beast snaggaz but got cold feet and threw together some new boyz on the cheap to keep people happy. Just nothing about this makes sense. 

We all heard the rumours that GW were not happy with people buying lots of start collecting boxes to build armies so that's one of the reasons they usually put a model in that you may only want one or two of at the most. Perhaps the next stage is to offer these boxes with ETB type models so that you really struggle to need more than one. The Sisters one is very similar in that a lot of it is monopose but a better multi-pose kit exists. Similar again to the Phobos box(Ignoring that suppressors still have no kit).

We all heard the rumours that GW were not happy with people buying lots of start collecting boxes to build armies so that's one of the reasons they usually put a model in that you may only want one or two of at the most. Perhaps the next stage is to offer these boxes with ETB type models so that you really struggle to need more than one. The Sisters one is very similar in that a lot of it is monopose but a better multi-pose kit exists. Similar again to the Phobos box(Ignoring that suppressors still have no kit).

The Sisters and Ork boxes definitely scream “single time purchase”. Marines are in a weird spot because they have 5 SC boxes in all reality. Sure, the actual SM box is the old Vanguard box with an Impulsor but even without the upgrade frames it’s still a savings to get the other CP boxes.

Boxes like Thousand Sons and Death Guard also seem to push players towards a single purchase unless they want a crap ton of chaff, but honestly if you do want a ton of chaff then they are great buys. A second Infernal Master, with spare parts on the Exalted Sorc box, could easily be converted to something else. I have no experience with Typhus, but I am sure he can be converted as well.

Then you have boxes like the Necron, Drukhari, and AdMech, which all seem like good multiple purchase kits