New Waagh! What to build?

General Strike

I got my grubby green hands on the Beastsnagga box, and have started building them. What do you guys recommend for the Boyz? Should I build them as one unit of 20? Should I include a Thumpgun? Should I build Zodgrod, or try to convert him into a weirdboy? Edited by General Strike

I got my grubby green hands on the Beastsnagga box, and have started building them. What do you guys recommend for the Boyz? Should I build them as one unit of 20? Should I include a Thumpgun? Should I build Zodgrod, or try to convert him into a weirdboy?

I'm thinking of returning to Orks after 4 editions so I had some similar questions. It seems that it basically really depends on what clan and units you intend to use. So for example if you want to use kill rigs, you'd naturally want units of 10 snaggas to fit in. The thump gun seems good in deff skulls or evil suns, while the others would benefit from melee more. Zodgrod is probably better used as a psyker as grots seem to suck and the psychic powers are far more useful for 5 pts more.

If you're open to converting Zogrod into a Weirdboy, I do think that will be much more useful than the gretchin-buffer. Giving grots +1 to-hit won't make them suck less. Zogrod isn't bad, himself, but there's really nothing he does that you can't do better elsewhere. He does have a fights-last ability, but it only works on Monsters.

For the Beast Snagga Boys, I've opted to make one Nob, as I'm planning on running the unit as a large mob (to take advantage of the snagga strat and warpath). But I do think they definitely work as Trukk boys, so make two units of ten if that's what you wanna do. As for the thump gun, I've decided to forgo it because of the BS5+. But I think at 5 points, it's easily something that you can take if you want to.

I feel like a 20man unit of Beast Snaggas is going to be pretty cool. I'd leave the thumpgun off though and stick with keeping them purely melee focued. 

Run them as Goffs for extra hits and the str boost on the charge, which with their other buffs could make them murder against most vehicles and monsters. As Goffs they'd be I think Str 7 on the charge vs vehicles? I don't have the codex in front of me at the moment but they have the St 5 to begin with, plus the +1 from their weapon, and then the Goff +1 on the charge. And they'd be hitting on 2s. Throw in the Monster Hunterz Strategem and you could be doing 40 hits on 1+ wounding on likely 2+ or 3+ depending on the vehicles Str, and getting bonus hits for ever 6. Going to mow through most light vehicles, likely some heavier vehicles, and on the charge I see them tearing through most infantry as well.

I feel like a 20man unit of Beast Snaggas is going to be pretty cool. I'd leave the thumpgun off though and stick with keeping them purely melee focued.

Run them as Goffs for extra hits and the str boost on the charge, which with their other buffs could make them murder against most vehicles and monsters. As Goffs they'd be I think Str 7 on the charge vs vehicles? I don't have the codex in front of me at the moment but they have the St 5 to begin with, plus the +1 from their weapon, and then the Goff +1 on the charge. And they'd be hitting on 2s. Throw in the Monster Hunterz Strategem and you could be doing 40 hits on 1+ wounding on likely 2+ or 3+ depending on the vehicles Str, and getting bonus hits for ever 6. Going to mow through most light vehicles, likely some heavier vehicles, and on the charge I see them tearing through most infantry as well.

Choppa is +1 attack, so you'd get 60 STR 6 attacks with exploding 6s with +1 to hit vs vehicles.

Choppa is +1 attack, so you'd get 60 STR 6 attacks with exploding 6s with +1 to hit vs vehicles.

Add in waaagh and it's 80.

So, I decided to build them as a 20x man unit with no Thumpgun. I feel like I only want one killrig given they'll probably be 80-100$ each. I'd rather have more boyz for that price. I'm planning to stick with just Beastnaggas mostly, but as I'm going to play them as Goffs I think I will include Ghaz. Any downside to running Ghaz instead of a Beastboss on Squigasaur?

I feel like that's a very conservative price estimate. Kill rigs probably going to be knight priced.

And why not both? You can still give the beastboss a warlord trait and relic, and he's a good pressure unit to split attention from ghaz and the blobs. If you only want to use one of the two, the biggest downside is movement and being able to be chipped down through screens.