Beginning an Ork Crusade

tentagil

About to start up a Crusade with a bunch of friends and looking forward to seeing how my orks fair this edition. I've never been a fan of huge mobs of boyz so I tend to lean towards mechanized lists. This one is going to start with walkers and then eventually I'll be bringing in bikers and buggies to add alot of harrasment units to it. I'm playing against Sisters, Death Guard, Necrons, and Drukari, so I know there are some battles that are going to be very rough. We are playing using Power Level and decided to start with 50 PL forces to give us all a bit more options in our lists right off the bat.

BigMek Skraphide's Klankas

Combat Patrol - 48 PL

BigMek in Mega Armour - 6 PL 

- Kustom Mega-Blasta

- Power Klaw

- Kustom Force Field

Knarg's Boyz - 5 PL

Boss Nob

- Power Klaw

9 Slugga Boyz

Scrak's Boyz - 5 PL

Boss Nob

- Power Klaw

9 Slugga Boyz

Skraphide's Dread Mob - 18 PL

3 x Deff Dreads

-2 x Dread Klaw

-2 x Skorcha

Brika's Kanz - 7

3 x Killa Kans

-Rokkit Launcha

Braka's Kanz - 7

3 x Killa Kans

-Grotzooka

I don't know that this force will be super competative, but I figure I have a multiple small groups of boyz to go hit objectives and actions, plus the klaw in each gives them some punch. The Deff Dreads can split up and travel near the boyz to provide multiple distractions/armor cracking, plus infantry clearing with the claws and 12 inch skorchas. The Kanz act as longer range artilery as well as having some melee punch, and the Big Mek can move with any group and provide repairs to the Dreads and Kanz as well as some ranged protection with the KFF. Ramshackle are going to make the walker more survivable and if nothing else it should be fun to mark this group across the board and get them stuck in.

I'm trying to decide Kulture, warlord trait, and relic now. Brutal but Kunnin' is probably our overall best trait for a Warlord that's going to be getting stuck in, and while the Big Mek isn't as deadly as a Warboss, in the Mega armor with a Power Klaw he can still do some Damage. Going Goff would be decent for pretty much everything in this force and Da IronGob, while not amazing would be a nice themetic relic and a way to add some Mortal Wounds. Evil Sunz actually might not be bad either. Gives some extra movement to to the walkers, the Warlord could advance and still fire his Megablasta, allowing him to keep up better, and Rezmekka's Redder Paint would increase his movement as well and gives some control in melee by making enemy units fight last.

Edit: because I had the wrong power level on my Boyz, which resulted in needing to drop a squad as well.

Edited by tentagil

Pretty solid. Being on the receiving end of ork charges, I would say maybe bulk em up a little or grab some trukks now. Even at T5 if I can get a volley off with a couple guardsmen squads with FESR your t-shirts wont save enough of the boys to keep them effective. We've been playing a few crusade starter games in our group and I recommend against the 18PL deff dread mob too. It winds up being a super all or nothing squad. I ran a tank commander(in a pts crusade) and he wound up either winning the game or dying and I lost. The dreads will be more durable, but its more PL investment and the same principle. In low level games I think the cans can(insert dancing meme here) do the same job of bullying objectives if you kit em, and then come back for the dreads when the points go up. I think it will work either way, so GL HF.

Those are some good points. If I dropped 2 Dreads I could bulk the two squads of Boyz up to 20 each. I did get the Beast Snagga box as well, and since they are the same power I might swap a squad of regular boyz for a squad of the Snaggas.

Then I could add the two other dreads back in later. Outside of the Drukari though, most of friends aren't running a lot of anti armor yet, which is one reason I was leaning into the Dreads, but it is a heavy investment that could go bust pretty quick.

Edited by tentagil