A Passing Space wizard give you control of GW...

NovemberIX

Recently, a few of the threads about GW have gotten me thinking, I'm sure we all have various ideas as to what GW should or should not do as a business. From pricing to how codexes are released, we all have varying solutions. So I'd like to present a little thought experiment to wash away some of salt of late: A Passing space wizard has suddenly given you complete and unilateral control of GW, you don't have a board or investors to answer to, but you have one goal. Grow 40K into something that rivals Trek, Star Wars and other major entertainment properties in people hearts!

This is admittedly less a discussion thread, and wades deep into the waters of wishlist territory, but like I said, lately GW has made some contentious choices, and while none of us can actually do anything about it, I'd like to present this thread as a small release valve, no one is here on this forum because they hate GW or warhammer, we all have a love for small plastic (and resin & metal) space people.

I'm going to take a bit of time organizing my thoughts, cause "release heresy stuff in plastic" is probably the most obvious thing any of us could say ;)

A few sample ideas to start from:

Rules: Paid for? Released for Free? Only available to subscribers of your app service?

What licensing deals do you accept, which do you chase down?

How would you handle the possible widespread adoption of 3d printing?

Keep the same corporate structure?

3rd party manufacturing and the aftermarket?

Factions? Increase? Decrease? Streamline?

Units? More? Less? Combine?

Media Strategy?

Basically, go wild, have fun, be bold, and don't be a downer,

1. Rules- core and codexes paid, errata/FAQ/etc free

2. Licensing- leave people alone who aren’t making money from the IP. Licenses go to creators who show they can consistently put out high quality content.

3. 3D printing- sell official STLs at 65-75% of the cost of actual models

4. 3rd party and aftermarket- if they’re competing directly (like 3rd party Chadians) shut it down. If not, (3rd party tallern) keep an eye on the demand across the market and use them as a litmus test for if it’s financially reasonable to start producing that product/style

5. Add squats, and a mercenary codex of less populace xenos

6. I’d start culling less popular first born marines

7. Media- remember media sells toys not the other way around.

8. Costs- reduce prices on some units 5%

9. Pay- increase employee compensation at stores and for rules/model designers 5% decrease pay of execs by 5%

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Rules: Paid for? Released for Free? Only available to subscribers of your app service?

Factions? Increase? Decrease? Streamline?

Units? More? Less? Combine?

A quick look at your list shows me that I really only care about the game and the lore - a world of warcraft warhammer spin off with 3d printed third party bits and accompanying free to air tv show would pique my interest, but that's just the gravy to to the beef.

I don't think that something that has been worked on and created should be free. I'm on the side of Metallica, not Napster and think that codexes, supplements and so on should be paid for. Core rules being free is good for business.

That said, the codex release schedule is completely junk. I don't think campaigns should be released until every faction in the edition has had its codex.

Even if a faction isn't getting a single new toy to play with they should have up to date rules within 6-12 months of a new edition dropping. 

Then campaign supplements should be released and if need be introduce new faction units there.

Factions - I think factions generally are fine. 6 major space marines (BA, DA, SW, DW, GK and normal), there should be 6 major chaos (normal, daemons, the four god legions), 5 imperial factions (guard, ad mech, sisters, custodes, knights - I'd probably roll SoS into a Talons of the Emperor codex, or release a proper Agents codex again with an expanded Inquisition), and the Xenos are generally fine (I don't see the point in Ynnari myself, but wouldn't want them squatted)

Units - I think GW is torn between being a high level skirmish game and a low level epic game and it needs to decide where to stand. Auto Bolt Rifle Intercessors roll 30 dice to try and hit their target, then 20 times more to try and wound and finally the opponent rolls 10 times to save. That one squad action has needed 60 dice rolls! A termagant horde with devourers is worse still (90 shot, 60 wounds, 30 saves - 180 dice for one action).  These aren't outlier units deliberately picked to skew a point either, they are relatively common. 

I've said before that I find there's too much to remember and I don't actually like the game as it stands, but I don't think you should have to roll 90 dice for a single units round of shooting. 

Give us more options for poses, Blisterpacks with actual options for weapons, arms, heads and so on too.

Update eldar and tau lines oldest models. Give necrons their old lore back and keep boated dynasties on the sidelines. Orks could take out of faction models if you convert them again.

Chaos gets their 3,5/4th ed rules partly back, adding alot more options and ideas to the ranks and playstyles.

I’ll update this as I think of more but the changes that spring immediately to mind are:

1) End printed rulebooks as the default mode of delivering rules. The lead time on printed materials severely handicaps their ability to respond quickly enough to rules/balance/points changes and because it is really the only major part of their range not made by them it’s more susceptible to delays or preventing them from reproducing things like cursed city to meet demand. Keep a printed version of codexes etc available to people who like them but acknowledge it is not the primary method of getting rules.

2) New box sets get a preorder window where everyone who orders in that time is guaranteed a box, even if it has to be delayed whilst it’s made.

3) Produce a a living roadmap for each game system with release dates in terms of Q1, Q2 etc with the caveat that delays are possible and these will be communicated if and when they happen.

4) Start offering army boxes that offer a significant saving when people are ready to progress from the combat patrol boxes.

5) Playtest the codexes better. Whether that’s setting up an independent system or similar. Things like the AdMech, Dark Eldar dominance simply should not have happened and I’m also on the fence about some of the new ork stuff which seems very strong too but only time will tell in that.

6) Sort the weird relationship between Forgeworld and the main studio. I don’t know what to say here more than that because at the moment we don’t seem to know what is going on with Forgeworld.

7) Plastic Heresy Now!!!!

Edited by MARK0SIAN

I'd like to think there's some room to learn from the better bits of the computer games industry.

Offer an "Early Access" version of Codexes, where you pay full price 9-12 months out from release, you get a beta version of the Codex for feedback purposes in black and white with basic bindings (new unit rules obviously not included, although maybe references to them) and you get a "feedback account". Then at release time you're guaranteed a full copy delivered on the day. It would help to balance things better and help to gauge demand.

Offer a "Community Workshop" environment for alternative parts, license it, get them to trade via a part of the GW webstore and take a small cut, that let's GW keep a better eye on what's produced, they can find great sculptors who could be offered freelance or permanent work, and let people show that they really want certain items. In the agreement GW would have a right to buy out designs either for a single payment or ongoing royalty.

If that works well, then include certain STL files in there, on a component only basis. 3d printed heads, weapons and shoulder pads for example have pretty much zero impact on GW currently as you'd still want the base kit to add them to.

Rules going to primarily electronic with a paper option available seems like a great idea too.

Rik

Stop the rulebook/armybook bloat. All rules are primarily digital and free going forward. There will be a print on demand option available for all books, with numerous tiers for how special people want them to be.

Each unit/hero/vehicle comes with an art card with a qr code on it, that when scanned gives the current unit rules, stats and points.

Have two tiers of each game. A standard game for the masses who just want to have fun and roll dice, and a veteran version with far more detailed rules, such a vehicle facings, hit location charts and charts.

Relaunch epic scale, Battlefleet gothic and Warmaster.

Partner with Bandai to make highly detailed model kits of some 40k vehicles.

Create a Warhammer Universe subsidiary of Forgeworld, releasing all kinds of models from the Warhammer universes. Busts, large scale models and esoteric minis that don’t fit into the current army book system.

Stop with the practice of No Rules No Models

Create a 3d stl file store that sells files for conversion bits or sculpts that can’t warrant a physical model.

Start making warhammer themed boardgames that doesn’t contain miniatures, to keep the cost down.

Be more ambitious when it comes to computer games.

Be less imperium centric in 40k. Actually update all the ancient models in the range.

Make that plastic warhound you cowards.

The biggest for me: digital is the primary channel for rules and updates

• core rules free
  • faction collections are paid for
  • periodicals are paid for
  • $5/month or $60/year gives access to all digital 40k rules
  • print books are paperback
  • collectible books remain a limited time/set print lot sized
  1. continue the "less models, but more centerpieces" approach to army design. No more future horde armies requiring 80+ models.
  2. move towards smaller factions/armies in terms of number of units, but increase the number of factions. example: Biel-tan could take any aspect warriors, but be excluded from bikes or wraith constructs. Iyanden couldn't take non-avenger aspects, etc. But these would then be their own faction.
  3. cull firstborn marine units that can't go into heresy and move those that can into heresy only
  4. Clean break for 10th edition in terms of rules
  5. continue building IP-related revenue streams, but emphasize quality over quantity (looking at you video games)
  6. remove Forgeworld as its own brand and bring that work into "Citadel miniatures"

Honestly? Just: communicate better. If there are :censored:-ups. Tell the community why. Give proper road maps. Give insight in the game design process. Less fomo.

This. I would drive GW into a better communication towards the costumers. 

rules would become free

Rules for units in each box of minis, app with rules etc, Codex and rule book still avalible but becomes more focussed on fluff, hobby and art like alot of hobby stuff including cool studio armies like they used to have.

open the floor for fan creations and include a fan animation/fan film catagory at golden demon (or what ever its called these days), clear set of rules about what you can and cant do.

less predatory staff in stores, seriously stop it you just creep people out.

licence audio dramas onto the radio and put one onto YT a month

move FW back to upgrade and conversion kits rather than full models, also add an option for kits that use plastic parts to be bought without them like sekmet terminators just sell me the resin bits i can get / already have the plastic bits i need.

company wide policy if its a GW/FW product old or new it can be used in store

when a replacement product is announced the old version gets a 25% discount until sold out.

bundles that offer a discount not just hey get 3 X for the same price as buying them seperatly.

unify the language on the website so people know if a kit is sold out, down for repair, gone for good.

enable comments on all social media, more back and forth with the community, less soylent grin OMG BEST RELEASE EVAR live streams they are tacky as :cuss.

better road maps for all platforms like necromunda has.

harsher licencing requirements for games (less mobile trash)

Partner with more AAA studios,

sponsor social media personalities to promote stuff, like cosplayers, YT engineering types, painting studios with idea of pushing people towards warhammer + as a source for more information.

focus on under represented model ranges before space marines. (but they sell more?! they sell more because they get the new minis, they get the new minis because they sell more etc)

address global pricing issue

add teir to Warhammer plus that gives digital files per month to subscribers for 3d printing.

start selling 3d files

easiest way to beat your competion is simply be better than them, so figure out why people are going to other sources (usually cost lets be honest)

global price reduction of 25% and price freeze for a few years,

Just one wish from me regarding rules and codices:
- online free rules, updated all at the same time at regular intervals (6 months? 1 year?), allowing to structure tournaments in "seasons"; 

- physical codices with only lore, artworks, pictures of studio models. 200+ pages fancy books that are updated maybe once in a decade, when the faction receives a range refresh or multiple new models are released;

Edited by AenarIT

Power corrupts. What GW is doing right now is working and keeping the coffers full. I think people should be more honest and realize if they were in such a position of power there is a good chance that they would maintain the status quo as they are now apart of the order they despised. Sorry for keeping it real. 

Assuming I don't sell out like @MegaVolt87 believes we all would... This is what pops off the top of my head the in order that the thought occurs.

- Release rules in giant lumps rather then staggering them.

- Moving forward make sure multi-pose kits become the norm again with lots of extra bits.

- Allow 3D printed bits in stores and at events, go a step further and just require that the majority of the army is either custom or first party.

- I wouldn't necessarily go and slash prices,but I'd put a moratorium on price increases and make prices more competitive with GW's actual competition in terms of quality. Just because you can buy Bones Minis for a dollar doesn't mean a Space Marine should cost a dollar, but if Creature Caster is releasing character models that are as good or better then GWs don't charge exponentially more.

- Allow /and/ encourage fan animations and general unmonetized creativity.

- Scrap Warhammer +.

- Abandon the idea of making a cinematic universe (I don't know if this has been a stated goal but it is my perception). Warhammer doesn't need to be nor should it be the IP to rule them all.

- Double down on going after Warhammer's core fans. I don't know for sure who they are, but they are certainly mostly men of the nerd variety. Everyone of course should be welcome, but it isn't inherently a problem that the community doesn't reflect an arbitrary ideal that people I've never met came up with online. Not everyone needs to buy our stuff or even like it, and we don't need to sell our soul to be successful.

- Sell bits.

- If it is reasonable to reduce the disparity in regional pricing do so. If it isn't make it clear why it isn't.

Assuming I pass my initial trial and be a force for good- de list the company and put it back into a private company structure to make it accountable to its customers and employees instead of investors. GW started as a literal cottage industry with all its rustic charms and flaws that go along with it, endearing it with the community. A lot of the mentioned changes are quite achievable if GW was no longer a publicly traded company. 

This is going to be controversial, but I'm going to start off with additional revenue streams first.

1) I think GW need to open their stores up to a second hand market. For example something like EB Games here in Australia, or Gamestop in the US (I assume it's similar they're owned by the same company). Basically you offer something like pay for pound/grams for X dollars and also dependent on quality. Poorly painted models would be paid less, and better painted models would be paid more. 

You could even tie in something like a Warhammer + subscription, say you get 10% more if you're subscribed. 

Then you give every store a "bargain bin" with second hand models at prices around 50 - 75% of what the actual models in the kit would cost. Again, depending on quality. This takes some money away from places like eBay, gets people in stores, etc. 

2) Offer pre-painted models. Some players don't pay for the hobby, but instead pay to play. This allows those players to pay a bit more for something already done. Look at something like Hero Forges new painter, basically they can go to the GW website select a kit they like then use a 3D model builder and painter, they assemble the model(s) from the options available in that kit, then pick between Citadel paints to apply to their model(s). Once they're happy they can add that kit to their checkout as per normal and they'll be shipped assembled and painted models. This again would have some kind of additional costs probably an extra 25% - 33% of that kits cost. 

3) More content to Warhammer +. I'd make it similar to D&D Beyond. Add all the prior rulebooks, expansions, and codexes as free reading material. So if anyone wants to try out a prior edition of the game they can, however, if they want to play in the current meta they'd still have to purchase the current rulesets. Though I'd offer some kind of in store discount or loyalty program attached to a subscription. 

4) If you're a Warhammer + member you can purchase STL files for OOP models. 

Okay, now that we've gotten the controversial revenue raising out of the way we can try and be a force for good. 

1) Lower the costs of the kits themselves. Make it easier for people to actually enter the hobby again. Escalation tournaments sound well and good, but is anyone willing to join the hobby when something like 10 Guardsmen costs $45 USD and most brand new AAA video games are $60?

2) More bundle kits. Don't just have Start Collecting boxes, also have Reinforcement boxes with different options. 

3) More bundle deals. Add discounts like "the rule of 3" if you purchase 3 of the same kit you get some form of discount.

4) More community engagement. Instead of killing fan projects offer them the old "pay in exposure" reach out to them and offer to put the video on Warhammer Community with a shout out to their channel. Obviously, you request they remove any kind of copywrite material that isn't GW's, see the difference in Astartes on Warhammer Community and the original. Maybe even going so far as to add some of the best videos onto Warhammer + and pay them some kind of one-off payment. Kind of like Gaijin, the creators of War Thunder, when they pay 3D modellers to use their vehicles in their game. 

5) Even more community engagement. Not just fan videos, but fan art and literature. Have a dedicated employee actually seeking out talent that can either be hired or nurtured. 

6) In terms of actual rules. Stop all of these Day 1 DLC faction rules that should have been in the codex on launch. Instead if there is going to be rules make it crusade rules relevant to the campaign, or thematic Armies of Renown. 

Edited by jarms48

This is going to be controversial, but I'm going to start off with additional revenue streams first.

1) I think GW need to open their stores up to a second hand market. For example something like EB Games here in Australia, or Gamestop in the US (I assume it's similar they're owned by the same company). Basically you offer something like pay for pound/grams for X dollars and also dependent on quality. Poorly painted models would be paid less, and better painted models would be paid more.

You could even tie in something like a Warhammer + subscription, say you get 10% more if you're subscribed.

Then you give every store a "bargain bin" with second hand models at prices around 50 - 75% of what the actual models in the kit would cost. Again, depending on quality. This takes some money away from places like eBay, gets people in stores, etc.

2) Offer pre-painted models. Some players don't pay for the hobby, but instead pay to play. This allows those players to pay a bit more for something already done. Look at something like Hero Forges new painter, basically they can go to the GW website select a kit they like then use a 3D model builder and painter, they assemble the model(s) from the options available in that kit, then pick between Citadel paints to apply to their model(s). Once they're happy they can add that kit to their checkout as per normal and they'll be shipped assembled and painted models. This again would have some kind of additional costs probably an extra 25% - 33% of that kits cost.

3) More content to Warhammer +. I'd make it similar to D&D Beyond. Add all the prior rulebooks, expansions, and codexes as free reading material. So if anyone wants to try out a prior edition of the game they can, however, if they want to play in the current meta they'd still have to purchase the current rulesets. Though I'd offer some kind of in store discount or loyalty program attached to a subscription.

4) If you're a Warhammer + member you can purchase STL files for OOP models.

Okay, now that we've gotten the controversial revenue raising out of the way we can try and be a force for good.

1) Lower the costs of the kits themselves. Make it easier for people to actually enter the hobby again. Escalation tournaments sound well and good, but is anyone willing to join the hobby when something like 10 Guardsmen costs $45 USD and most brand new AAA video games are $60?

2) More bundle kits. Don't just have Start Collecting boxes, also have Reinforcement boxes with different options.

3) More bundle deals. Add discounts like "the rule of 3" if you purchase 3 of the same kit you get some form of discount.

4) More community engagement. Instead of killing fan projects offer them the old "pay in exposure" reach out to them and offer to put the video on Warhammer Community with a shout out to their channel. Obviously, you request they remove any kind of copywrite material that isn't GW's, see the difference in Astartes on Warhammer Community and the original. Maybe even going so far as to add some of the best videos onto Warhammer + and pay them some kind of one-off payment. Kind of like Gaijin, the creators of War Thunder, when they pay 3D modellers to use their vehicles in their game.

5) Even more community engagement. Not just fan videos, but fan art and literature. Have a dedicated employee actually seeking out talent that can either be hired or nurtured.

6) In terms of actual rules. Stop all of these Day 1 DLC faction rules that should have been in the codex on launch. Instead if there is going to be rules make it crusade rules relevant to the campaign, or thematic Armies of Renown.

I personally don’t find it controversial to create new streams of revenue especially if combined with lowering prices of kits as they currently are.

Pre-painted figures from GW, man that's an entire conversation by itself. Perhaps a return of INQ28 (?) for stand alone pre-painted mini's for a 40k RPG game? Or a hero fight type game such as that marvel tabletop skirmish game using named 30k/40k characters exclusively that are pre painted. Lack of pre-built + painted and play games really drive away many people from GW's smaller games, not necessarily the price. X-wing and SW Armada for example aren't exactly cheap and they have managed to offer pre-painted miniatures for their systems. 

Scrap primaris ;) Make conversion kits to give their tanks treads as well

But seriously, I'd bring back ePubs of codices for warhammer digital (and have that integrate with the app). And maybe get Tau auxiliaries made into their own thing...just maybe!

Never create another edition of the game ever  again. Nine resets is already too many; had they put that effort into expanding factions, ranges and options instead of rereleasing everything all over again, continuously reinventing the wheel, we'd already have a CWE range that wasn't mostly finecast; we'd have had Exodites and Corsairs with real, full ranges a decade ago.

Instead, once all dexes are out, use campaign books to release one new unit per faction every year. And maybe a whole new faction every year or two.

Edition churn is the biggest problem this game has. Personally, I think it's the biggest problem any game has; objectively, in hindsight I can say I like one edition or another the most, but at the times when those editions were current, I was satisfied enough with all of them that they could have just continued so that we could get to new stuff faster.

I'd also release a big Crusade book for GM types; it would have tools and resources for different campaign systems.

Edit: I would also obviously report this random space wizard to the local Inquisition: the Wizard in question is obviously a witch, guilty of heresy and suitable only for the Emperor's wrath.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

Never create another edition of the game ever  again. Nine resets is already too many; had they put that effort into expanding factions, ranges and options instead of rereleasing everything all over again, continuously reinventing the wheel, we'd already have a CWE range that wasn't mostly finecast; we'd have had Exodites and Corsairs with real, full ranges a decade ago.

Instead, once all dexes are out, use campaign books to release one new unit per faction every year. And maybe a whole new faction every year or two.

Edition churn is the biggest problem this game has. Personally, I think it's the biggest problem any game has; objectively, in hindsight I can say I like one edition or another the most, but at the times when those editions were current, I was satisfied enough with all of them that they could have just continued so that we could get to new stuff faster.

I'd also release a big Crusade book for GM types; it would have tools and resources for different campaign systems.

Edit: I would also obviously report this random space wizard to the local Inquisition: the Wizard in question is obviously a witch, guilty of heresy and suitable only for the Emperor's wrath.

Not sure if I like the idea or not but really the idea there isn't good business making really, you aren't driving high levels of hype to sell models. Some like edition switch ups because the meta gets shuffled up, sometimes in unseen ways, others quite obvious. Not to mention your method means that the rules would need to be pretty well written and maintained to be good or there would be basically a monster of a back log of FAQ and errata to go through, not just for the rules but for codices as well. The edition update every so many years allows the game to shed off built up mass of rules and while it can be annoying it makes sure that you don't need to have several degrees and doctorates to play an army that may of been updated several times.

Not to say I can't sympathise with the idea but really, the game was made to be like this for a reason; it promotes sales. And thankfully is good for game health in the long run.